PHXscuba's Club 33 Christmas

That's how I felt about the trip we had planned for this week. Sigh, I am trying to plan a trip for next year now but with DHs health in question who knows?

Last night sounds like it was fun!

:cheer2: For your reservations!!:cheer2:

It's really hard when you can't take a trip, and after the initial disappointment, it returns when you "should have" been there. Extra hugs for you this week. :grouphug:

Since you are within driving distance, the good news is that everything (as you know) is pretty easy to cancel -- hotel deposits or holds, tickets don't have to be bought ahead, etc. It sucks to plan it all out and then postpone, but sometimes making those plans helps cope with the everyday stresses -- kind of a mental vacation.

PHXscuba

It's really hard when you can't take a trip, and after the initial disappointment, it returns when you "should have" been there. Extra hugs for you this week. :grouphug:

Since you are within driving distance, the good news is that everything (as you know) is pretty easy to cancel -- hotel deposits or holds, tickets don't have to be bought ahead, etc. It sucks to plan it all out and then postpone, but sometimes making those plans helps cope with the everyday stresses -- kind of a mental vacation.

PHXscuba

Thank you.

You're right, being within driving distance makes it easier to plan. I have been in such a funk over everything that I haven't even looked at the AP Disneyland book that we got. I need to get busy with something else.

PHXscuba so glad you were able to get your rooms reserved. I'll be hoping for the upgrade for you too. It really is enjoyable when you can to splurge for being on property.

You are so right that time with the ones we love is precious and not to be taken for granted. DH and I will continue to take our college aged sons to Disney as long as they keep going with us. :goodvibes

kaoden39 I will keep your DH and family in my prayers. Hoping you can get that DL trip in next year. :grouphug:

PHXscuba so glad you were able to get your rooms reserved. I'll be hoping for the upgrade for you too. It really is enjoyable when you can to splurge for being on property.

You are so right that time with the ones we love is precious and not to be taken for granted. DH and I will continue to take our college aged sons to Disney as long as they keep going with us. :goodvibes

kaoden39 I will keep your DH and family in my prayers. Hoping you can get that DL trip in next year. :grouphug:

Thank you.

"Aren't You A Little Young to Be Renovating this Bedroom? Yes, yes I am."

We recently finished DS7's bedroom makeover. He has had the same cowboys-themed room since we moved him into a bed at age 2. I LOVED his cowboy room, but it was overdue for a change.

IMG_1837-001.jpg

IMG_1839-001.jpg

Where did this little guy go??? :sad:

That border may look difficult, but here's my little secret: it's just bandanna-print fabric, starched onto the wall. It came down like magic and required just a little cleanup for the residue.

IMG_1838-001.jpg

The "backstory:" DS loves Phineas and Ferb. In fact, our whole family does. If you have Disney kids, you've probably seen at least a few episodes. If not, I highly recommend it. It's very clever and celebrates using your imagination and working together. There are inside jokes that recur after you've seen a few episodes. DS16 and I bat around Doofenschmirtz' "Inator" references and the bad German accent. The girls love the musical numbers, and DS looks like Phineas but likes Ferb best.

He was really looking forward to meeting P and F at Hollywood Studios last year. (Who am I kidding ... I was almost as excited as he was :p)

guitar.jpg

They have a host that pulls the kids out of line to help with interactive games. DS got to play inflatable guitar during Gitchee Gitchee Goo.

phineas.jpg

The fam with Phineas and Ferb​

So when we started talking about how to reno his room, it was only natural that a P and F theme was one idea. His eyes lit up. :idea: :woohoo: :cool1:

This is a lived-in boy's room, not a Pottery Barn catalog, so it's well used.

phin2.jpg

The 9 pictures on the wall are from a calendar I cut up, plus dollar-store frames. Cost probably $25 total with the hanging hardware. DH got to use his laser level. :rolleyes:

phin1.jpg

I love wall decals!! So cheap and easy to put up and take down.​

The piece de resistance will be arriving on Santa's sleigh after giving me a few gray hairs. I saw this online a couple months ago and shoulda, shoulda, shoulda bought it then.

phin3.jpg

Is this not the most adorable thing EVER?!!!​

So I waited to buy it until the room renovation was a for sure thing ... by which time it was out of stock on the Pillow Pet website. :mad: And only one Amazon seller has it and it's more than $60 shipped. :sad2: I have my limits.

I dithered quite a while, hoping it would go down in price or restock. I was about to give up (or give in). Finally, I saw a DIS thread on ordering stuff from Disneyland and decided to call Parks Merchandise and beg for help!! This morning I ordered one and it was only $37 with the shipping. :yay:

DS loves his new room and I am glad to have it done.

We are looking forward to the Phineas and Ferb Rockin Rollin Dance Party in DCA next spring!!

Oh boy, I found your PTR!! What a bunch of cute kids!!! I'll be leaving a few days before you get there in March. I'll be there with the Dis Divas Girls Trip until March 3rd!! I'll let Mickey and gang know you all are coming and to treat you right!!! Love the Phineas and Ferb room!!! (I agree, love the wall clings)

Oh boy, I found your PTR!! What a bunch of cute kids!!! I'll be leaving a few days before you get there in March. I'll be there with the Dis Divas Girls Trip until March 3rd!! I'll let Mickey and gang know you all are coming and to treat you right!!! Love the Phineas and Ferb room!!! (I agree, love the wall clings)

Welcome aboard!!:goodvibes I'm amazed you have time to read other PTRs with your trip getting so close. I am an early overplanner like you, so this gives me an outlet without driving everyone crazy.

Speaking of people driving people crazy ...

So I know my "reveal" of our trip plans on Christmas (more on that later) won't be an enormous surprise to our kids. I've been vague about future Disney plans ... "We'll go back *sometime* next year, probably" ... We had some friends over earlier and they inquired about our holiday plans. DH told them, "Oh, we aren't going anywhere until March." :mad: Without letting a beat pass, I had to do damage control: "Well, March is the earliest we'd be going anywhere ... it's spring break and we'll probably go somewhere." :headache:

DH apologized later and said he wasn't even thinking when it fell out of his face. I told him this is why we can't keep big secrets around our house -- because he is so bad at keeping them!!! He told me next time to just keep it a secret from him too -- just wake him up, tell him his schedule has been cleared for the week, and to point the car toward California. :rotfl2: I think he was kidding, but hmmm..... :rolleyes:

PHXscuba

This just in:

Disneyland releases new ticket discounts for the winter and wouldn't you know, the last possible use date is March 11 -- the first day we will be in the parks. My feelings: :confused3:( I guess that bodes badly for the crowds they are thinking will come that week, a la spring break. Right now Touring Plans has the weekdays that week about a 7/8, which I can deal with. Just not good for possible discounts.

In other news, I saw a thread that it appears Big Thunder Mountain Railroad might NOT be closed. The source was a Disney refurb list, but I don't know if it's a for-sure thing now. I really, really, really hope that it's open while we're there. It's one of our favorite rides and we have to ride it at night and during the day.

While we're on the topic, here's what I can figure out that's new or significantly different in Disneyland park since our last trip (July 2010 one-day in DL):

Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln -- I probably saw this as a kid :confused3 but have no memory of it, so I consider it new. I hope the Voices of Liberty are still around in March too. Wouldn't you know it, all three of my older kids are studying U.S. history this year!

Matterhorn -- haven't been since the big refurb last year. This was one of my favorite rides when I was a kid (especially as a teen snuggling in the two-person seats with a boy :lovestruc) but as an adult I can't ride it more than once per trip -- too rough. I hear it is still rough but I will ride it at least once to "update myself." DS7 has a strange aversion to this ride despite liking other rollercoasters. I will probably be a bad mom and make him ride once.

Star Tours – Technically we have already done this -- at WDW a year ago. But I heard the DL version's vehicles got even more TLC and may be better than WDW's. And WDW's was awesome. I think we rode 5 times there and only repeated one scene total.

Fantasy Faire -- they say will open "in the spring." Most likely we would skip it even if it is open. I can't say I'm crushed that DDs are too old to wait in lengthy lines for princesses. Why couldn't the theater be open with a cool new show by then?

Soundsational parade -- My family members are not the wait-for-parades types, but I have heard such good things about this parade that we will try to see it. My kids are really into music, so I think it will be worth it.

Indiana Jones -- first time DS7 will be tall enough to ride, and we'll see what they change after this big fall refurb.

Right now the only things scheduled to be closed during our trip are:

Big Thunder, maybe :confused3

Fantasyland Theater

Mark Twain -- I like it, but I'm not crushed by its absence

I know DLR could announce more, but at least there's no draining-of-the-river involved. I'll go over the much-lengthier list of what's new to us in DCA in some future post.

PHXscuba

The one real effect of the Mark Twain being down means that Fantasmic will be down too.

I always do Great Moments With Mr Lincoln. Especially if it is hot, great place to sit down and cool off.

I want to see the Princess Fantasy Faire.princess: I am excited to see of the theming is as fun as it is in Pixie Hollow.

Hmm ... I hadn't thought about the Mark Twain affecting Fantasmic. They haven't said anything about Fantasmic being dark, but I know they do that sometimes in the spring. Can they do Fantasmic without the Mark Twain? Could it just be closed to daytime guests but still used during the show?

I am hoping I can see the theming of Fantasy Faire without getting in a line!!

PHXscuba

I should also add that we saw "Wreck-It Ralph" yesterday as a family after Thanksgiving lunch. I thought it was really good, although seeing it from the front row gave DH a massive headache.

I am also starting to put together the kids' "surprise" for Christmas morning when they find out we are going in March. I have a couple more things being shipped and then I will show you what I have and hopefully get a few more ideas of what to add. Now that Thanksgiving is over I don't have to pretend anymore that it's not all about CHRISTMAS!!! :santa::santa::santa:

PHXscuba

Hmm ... I hadn't thought about the Mark Twain affecting Fantasmic. They haven't said anything about Fantasmic being dark, but I know they do that sometimes in the spring. Can they do Fantasmic without the Mark Twain? Could it just be closed to daytime guests but still used during the show?

I am hoping I can see the theming of Fantasy Faire without getting in a line!!

PHXscuba

I have been there when it affects it, but I don't know.

I want to see what is on the inside of PFF and I don't think I will unless I go in there. Inquiring(read as nosy) mind wants to know.:goodvibes

I should also add that we saw "Wreck-It Ralph" yesterday as a family after Thanksgiving lunch. I thought it was really good, although seeing it from the front row gave DH a massive headache.

I am also starting to put together the kids' "surprise" for Christmas morning when they find out we are going in March. I have a couple more things being shipped and then I will show you what I have and hopefully get a few more ideas of what to add. Now that Thanksgiving is over I don't have to pretend anymore that it's not all about CHRISTMAS!!! :santa::santa::santa:

PHXscuba

Front row does that to me too. I remember years ago we went to see the Rugrat's in Paris and the only seats were right up in front.

I have a ton of Christmas spirit this year but we can't have a tree this year. Our dogs are still puppies.

So I see that others on the DIS have been posting that Big Thunder will actually be closed much of next year. Seems it just didn't make it onto one refurb list and we all jumped to hopeful conclusions. Sometimes I long for the days when you just showed up to the park and found out what was closed. Not most of the time -- I'm too OCD -- but occasionally the Internet is overkill.

I checked my phone app today and it says 104 days to go. In less than a week we will be in double digits!

I have been on a peppermint binge the last couple days. Sherry knows how much I love that flavor, and this is the most MINTY-ful time of the year! :lovestruc

PHXscuba

So I see that others on the DIS have been posting that Big Thunder will actually be closed much of next year. Seems it just didn't make it onto one refurb list and we all jumped to hopeful conclusions. Sometimes I long for the days when you just showed up to the park and found out what was closed. Not most of the time -- I'm too OCD -- but occasionally the Internet is overkill.

I checked my phone app today and it says 104 days to go. In less than a week we will be in double digits!

I have been on a peppermint binge the last couple days. Sherry knows how much I love that flavor, and this is the most MINTY-ful time of the year! :lovestruc

PHXscuba

Well, boo on that. You know I am really bad (or is it good?) about actually looking to see what is going to be open or closed. Or opening for that matter. I planned our 2010 trip for the week that WoC opened. Hence my nickname for it World of Chaos. It was so busy that week but we had a ball.

Big Thunder Mt RR is my favorite ride, so I'm glad I will get to ride it here in a couple weeks!!! I will miss is for my February trip :sad2:

:banana: YAY for almost being in double digits!!!! :banana:

Big Thunder Mt RR is my favorite ride, so I'm glad I will get to ride it here in a couple weeks!!! I will miss is for my February trip :sad2:

:banana: YAY for almost being in double digits!!!! :banana:

Yes, I know my kids will be sad to miss Big Thunder. I think of all the rollercoasters it is the most universally loved. Of course DD10 and DS7 haven't ridden Screamin' yet ...:hyper: I am hopeful the red rocks of Radiator Springs Racers will fill the bill, although I'm sure we won't get to ride it as many times as we might Big Thunder.

PHXscuba

So I am at the avoiding-my-real-work phase. I think it finally hit me how much I have to get done in the next few weeks and I am in total denial. The office needs a new printer, and the alarm system is being tempermental, so I have to do the research and figure out what to do about them. Plus I just got handed a big project that I thought I wouldn't have to tackle until February and I actually have to complete it in the next few weeks.

On the bright side, I got almost all of the Christmas stuff up (pictures later because of the whole avoiding-work thing). I still have the big tree to decorate but it will have to wait until I can sweet-talk DH into putting it up this weekend. It may require brownies ...

I am eager to get to Christmas because it will be a lot simpler to plan this trip once the kids know about it!!

PHXscuba

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter