Photographing New York City

NCDisneyMom

DIS Cast Member
About a year ago, I bought my first DSLR camera, a Canon Rebel T5, mainly for the purpose of catching good action photos of my kids sports events, and I've gotten some great shots.

I'll be heading to NYC soon, and would love to bring the DSLR to try for some nicer shots than what my phone can take. I am trying to learn the mechanics of shooting in manual mode, and slowly starting to understand (I stress: slowly). One thing I'm still confused on, based on the lenses I have, which one would be best for shooting around NYC? I don't have many lenses, but the two I have besides a big zoom lens are as follows:

The stock 18-55mm lens that came with the camera

A 24mm/ F2.8 Prime lens

I plan to mostly take cityscape pictures, and some in Central Park (fountains, etc.). I am NOT a professional, and simply want to take nice pictures for myself. I like that the 24mm is a much smaller lens, which would make it easier for carrying around, but I wasn't sure if the zoom on the 18-55mm would be worthwhile.

What would be your suggestion?

No right or wrong answer.
NYC often calls for wide angle. Neither of your lenses is very wide, but your 18-55 can at least zoom out a bit wider. And a zoom lens is always versatile when traveling.

On the other hand, the 24mm on the T5 gives a good perspective. The lens will produce higher image quality. And many people, myself included, would say that shooting with a prime lens really forces you to pay extra attention to the composition of your shot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter