Photo Sharing: Ultra Wide Angle

Nice shots everyone! I was wondering if any of you know how to fix the distortion problem when shooting buildings and if you could post a little tutorial for us noobs. I have the Sigma 10-20. I have PSCS3 and NX2, but know next to nothing about using them. :scared1:
Here are a couple of shots that I would like to correct in CS3 if possible. Both were shot at 10mm. Help! Thanks!
658303391_h6rxb-XL.jpg

658111759_xJFzy-XL.jpg

Nice shots everyone! I was wondering if any of you know how to fix the distortion problem when shooting buildings and if you could post a little tutorial for us noobs. I have the Sigma 10-20. I have PSCS3 and NX2, but know next to nothing about using them. :scared1:
Here are a couple of shots that I would like to correct in CS3 if possible. Both were shot at 10mm. Help! Thanks!
658303391_h6rxb-XL.jpg

658111759_xJFzy-XL.jpg

A quick google search found this:

http://www.khulsey.com/photoshop_tutorials/photoshop-lens-distortion-correction.html

THANK YOU!!! :worship::worship::worship:
This was awesome.
For reading my mind and knowing just what I needed YOU are now in the running for the Marlton Mom ~Corporation~ 'employee' of the week award.

Winners will have their avatar smooshed on a "plaque" and featured prominently on the front of the family refrigerator.

Competiton IS TOUGH however and you will have to defeat the 11 year running champion known as 'dear son". ;)

Good luck!
Smoocies
Marlton Mom

Just as a little note on shooting with UWA lenses - most of the lenses for UWA sold nowadays are 'rectilinear' lenses - which essentially means they've been designed to minimize distortion on the vertical and horizontal lines when shooting - they emphasize the distortion control most in the center of the frame, with a sharper drop off near the corners. However, this is based on shooting straight-on to your subject - level shooting is crucial to avoid distortion. As soon as you tilt the shooting angle upwards or downwards from the horizon line, you introduce extreme distortion effects.

While this can be very desirable and intended, making for some very cool shots, it should be a tool in your arsenal to use when you want it, not something that happens unintentionally and requiring lots of correction in post processing. So think about the way you are shooting the shot, and decide if distortion is wanted or not. If not, shoot nice and level, straight on to the horizon, 90 degrees from your subject's vertical lines. The lens will usually do an amazing job of keeping those lines nice and straight, without the barrel distortion and perspective skew. If you want that cool UWA distortion effect, then play around with your shooting angle and have fun!

First shot: tilting up because if I went back any further to get the top of the building in I'd be in the lagoon. (Cast members have a problem with photography nuts being in the lagoon :confused3 )

Second shot: the miracle of photoshop.

The moral of this story: Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do and you see if you can fix it later. :)

Smoocharinos
Marlton Mom

You can also use Photoshop's "free transform" tool to fix the issue without having to crop (or without having to crop as much); however, this is not "scientific" (for lack of a better term) and you can end up with odd results. Still, it's what I use most of the time. Normally, I duplicate the layer before doing the transformation so I can use the layer under if it becomes necessary to mask.

EDIT: looks like that article discusses free transform. I have to say I use it in a different manner...when I use it (which is not often as I like the distortion) I normally stretch the photo in ways that 'hide' distortion and possibly actually introduce more distortion that somehow compensates for the original distortion. Yes, my technical knowledge is very limited. I just "do stuff" that looks good to me...

Very nice before and after demonstration. Any idea if Photoshop Elements can do this?

Thanks,

Boris

First shot: tilting up because if I went back any further to get the top of the building in I'd be in the lagoon. (Cast members have a problem with photography nuts being in the lagoon :confused3 )

Second shot: the miracle of photoshop.

The moral of this story: Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do and you see if you can fix it later. :)

Smoocharinos
Marlton Mom

Great job! I bookmarked that link since I have ordered my Tokina. It's on backorder, but it will show up eventually. I imagine I'll need to try some straightening myself.

Lovely shot though! What a warm photo!

QUOTE: mom2rtk Great job! I bookmarked that link since I have ordered my Tokina. It's on backorder, but it will show up eventually. I imagine I'll need to try some straightening myself.

Until Dave (SaturnDB) posted that link, I hadn't found out how to do that yet on Photoshop. I took a Community College course but we didn't get to that in the software. Now that I have found it, I got busy noodling around and now I have another "tool" in my photo editing tool box! (Thanks again Dave!! :hug:)

See what a good influence we are on each other!

I have to balance that by saying there is The Dark Side on the Dis Photography boards..... ;) Those that preach of Tripods and lenses and doohickeys that we MUST have!

Yes I'm talking about the "Acquisitionistas". :scared1::scared1::scared1:

I too have fallen to the dark side and now I must repent at the alter of Quicken. With appropriate intervention and soup for dinner 3 times a week I should be back on Ebay in NO TIME!!! :rotfl2:

Quote:Lovely shot though! What a warm photo!

Thanks! I like the warm ones vs trying to fiddle with the white balance. I think the stone on the facades is a tan color and they seem to be lit with a not very white light so the yellow is really working overtime here. I'll take the warm tones vs the 'tighty whiteys' anyday!

Uh!!! I have the Tokina on backorder and hoping it would come before my trip to DL and just found out my local guy has 4 in today and I'm without a car for 2 more days :headache:

He got mad at me for saying I order from adorama :lmao:. "jesus I'm going to move to New York so then you'll call me!!!" They are one of the best stores around that carry tons of stuff and I just rediscovered them...but I'm not telling where until I get my lens Wednesday :goodvibes

Hmm.how much is a cab downtown? packing up the 2 kids and getting them to not tell their father about our 'outing' :thumbsup2

Here is a picture of Faneuil Hall in Boston. Taken at 10mm with the Sigma 10-20mm on my Nikon D300.

Today, what is known as Faneuil Hall Marketplace is still Boston's central meeting place, offering visitors and residents alike an unparalleled urban marketplace. The unique and burgeoning array of shops, restaurants and outdoor entertainment have made it a premiere urban destination that attracts more than 18 million visitors annually.

772496066_XxRs9-L.jpg

and a B/W version...
772496656_L9bDL-L.jpg

Talk about timing..they just called and my car is ready :banana:. Now I got to sneak out at lunch :rolleyes1 at work to get downtown to get my Tokina!

Tom,

You should forget about being a laywer and go into photography, you a great eye for it! Let's be honest, do we really need more lawyers? I say no.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts