Photo Sharing: Pentax

She is very cute but I might ask the guy if there was a strong wind behind him on the way there - I've never seen hair like that before! :teeth:

Thank you. Yeah, I cannot understand this new crop of teenage boys. Luckily this one is just her best guy friend. They didn't even share one dance together and she left with a different group of kids.

Main Staircase at Dundurn Castle

20110507-DundurnStairs-1.jpg

Hi,

I do not have any pictures to post (for now any way), but I do have a question about Pentax DSLR cameras. I am looking at getting my first DSLR and I have been doing a lot of research and I think I want a Pentax K-R. Do you think this is a good first camera or will I be disapointed. I do not want to spend a ton of money because I have no idea how to use a "real" camera. I have been using a point and shoot forever. What I want to use it for is my vacation and (this might sound stupid) my furkids. Thanks for any advice. :goodvibes

Kim

The Kr is a very good upper entry level camera. Pentax introduced the Kx several years back and it was touted as being one of the best entry level cameras. Folks are still buying the Kx today. The Kr was built off the Kx platform and added some things that weren't in the Kx, ie, visible focus points and a few others. I don't think you will be disappointed with the camera. Saying that, I would recommend that you start studying about photography. There is an educational component to learning how to use a DSLR. Yes, you can put it on automatic and use it as a P & S, but why? There are some online tutorials and there is a book by Bryan Peterson, Understanding Exposure, that is very good at explaining the photographic triangle of ISO, aperture and shutter speed. Purchasing the camera is only the first step. Have you thought about what lenses you will want? Most everyone starts with the 18-55 kit lens and maybe a kit zoom lens. When I say kit, I am referring to a basic consumer lens that will work well in normal conditions. There are lenses out there called all-in-one's that have a larger range of zoom that don't call for changing lenses (18-135mm, 18-200mm, 18-250mm). These lenses give you convenience, but there is a trade off in that they struggle in lowlight conditions. Sometimes folks will forgo the kit lens and purchase a camera body with an all-in-one.

There are many options out there and all the manufacturers produce quality products. I have used a Pentax slr and dslr for thirty years and am not disappointed in their cameras. My DSLR's are now 4-5 years old in terms of technology and every time I think of upgrading they produce an image that blows me away! I am a happy Pentaxian. Good luck with your research and if you put a little effort into learning about your camera, you won't be disappointed.

Thank you so much for your response Gianna's Papa! I have another question, would you go with the K-X instead or the K-R? It is funny that you mentioned reading up on how to use he camera, I work in a library! Before I even started looking at cameras I loaded my Amazon wish list with books. I think I have the one you mentioned but if not I will add it. Thanks also for the info on the lens kit. Hopefully one day soon I will be able to add to this thread. :)

Thanks again,
Kim

Since its the latest rendition and if the difference in cost is not an issue, then I would go with the Kr. I like the visible focus points which I have on my cameras. I joke that the more I learn, the more I learn I don't know! But it's true, there is always a new technique or twist that you can bring to the table. That's what makes it fun, it's almost impossible to get bored when you are constantly learning and trying new things. Because of the options DSLR's bring to the table, it just opens all different photographic possibilities. Not that you can't do things with a P & S, its just easier. Good luck and have fun!

Terry

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter