Photo Sharing: Olympus, 4:3, Micro 4:3

camaro_1020250_2.jpg

Had to take my old (18 years) car out for state inspection yesterday and couldn't put it away without taking a few photos.

It's a different animal than my other Oly cams, even the E-Pl2. There are so many different features and settings on it that I haven't customized it like my other ones yet. I used it extensively at a first birthday party yesterday, shooting in both raw + jpeg and using the 12-50 primarily along with the 45mm.

Things that I've come to really like about it that I didn't think I would - LOVE the touch screen! It's quite stealthy and fast when taking pictures. Coupled with the tilt screen and quiet shutter button, candids are really easy to take. The touch screen can also be used in playback by swiping through the photos. I have screen protectors coming from Amazon that should reduce the amount of fingerprints from it.

9 fps! You don't appreciate it until you try it! Sounds like a machine gun firing it's so fast!

I haven't tried any real high ISO shots though I should have yesterday when I took photos inside a dimly lighted restaurant with the 45mm.

I've ready some complaints about "mushy" buttons probably due to weather sealing. They're different but don't bother me.

I like having the macro function on the lens. I've tried it a couple of times and seems to work well.

The thumb grip is nice. I don't think I will inadvertently change settings like I do at times with the E-Pl2.

Weather sealing is a plus. We leave a week from today for Hawaii and I won't have any worries about the beach or getting caught in the rain or splashed by a waterfall.

I found some lightroom 4 presets for raw files which I'm in the process of putting in and we'll see how they work on the pics I took yesterday. Just importing them into LR some look a bit muddy and over saturated. In thinking back I probably should have disabled the warm color option. It might not work well on people. I'll install Oly Viewer 2 and check them out with the different settings.

A small manual is included in the box, but a much more detailed one is available for download.

I haven't tried video yet.

It's quite solid feeling and smaller than it looks. Maybe I'll get the grip later - I'm hoping it will then feel like my E520 which fit me perfectly. Ordered a third party battery with comes with its own charger (it won't charge in the Oly charger) and I'll give it a try today.

I think it's a keeper!

Glad to hear your review, Lynn! Keep us updated on how you like it. Are you keeping your other equipment for now? Anything you DON'T like about the new camera?

Have a great time in Hawaii!! :woohoo: Can't wait to see pics!

P.S. Beautful shots on this page!!

Beautiful butterfly shot Kelly! Which lens and settings did you use? We went to the Butterfly Conservatory in Niagara Falls and I used mostly the 50mm f/2.0 macro for the shots, but some with the 12-60. I made the mistake of shooting it wide open which did not give me enough depth of field to get the whole butterfly in focus.

Here are a few that I like anyway.

1048659198_3ugtG-L.jpg

1048640980_kddJw-L-2.jpg

1048645333_4jBFz-L-2.jpg

1048639181_hHxQE-L-1.jpg

My DD has moved to St. Louis with her baby. Next time I'm there I want to visit the butterfly house at the zoo and try again. Won't have the 50mm though.

Beautiful butterfly shot Kelly! Which lens and settings did you use?

Thanks so much. I shot this with my E3, 133mm (using my 70-300 lens on ISO 500, F11

I like your butterflies as well. The last one is composed so well.

OOps, sorry for stretching the forums. I'm used to other sites that downsize the pictures automatically. I'll try to fix.

Welcome, hamellr, and nice pics!

And thank you very much! While not my primary job, I make a bit of scratch off photography, so I like to think I'm OK at it. :)

What is in your gear bag? :goodvibes

E-3 Body
E-500 Body
Zuiko 14-54mm F2.8-3.5
Couple of old OM-2 50mm F1.8
Both the 14-42mm and 40-150mm kit lens
First gen Lensbaby
Both the Macro magnification tube, and the Extension tube
35mm F3.5 Macro (I take pictures of gem stones,)
600mm F5.6mm, that's got an old T-mount, add that on top of the extension and it ends up being a pretty good telescope.

And about another half dozen various OM lens, three very nice Konica lenses that I modified to fit into the 4/3rd mount, extra batteries, a few tripods.

I tend to be pretty hard on my equipment so I have a host of extra eye pieces, batteries, and spare parts, from broken and destroyed cameras. I've had an E-300, and an E-30 in my possession, along with a few Nikons. But I like the Olympus system much better, it's pretty light and I don't mind it hanging off my neck as much when I'm hiking and want to take that fast shot.

Glad to hear your review, Lynn! Keep us updated on how you like it. Are you keeping your other equipment for now? Anything you DON'T like about the new camera?

I've only sold the 70-300, 50mm, and 40-150, all to my nephew so I still have access if I want to use them.:goodvibes I still need to sell the E600, 12-60, 14-42 and 25 pancake. But I can't bring myself to do that yet!:rolleyes1 The 12-60 is hard to give up, but I'll have to do it when we get back from Hawaii.

As far as the E-M5, I don't care for the small flash included with it. I had to use it at a first birthday party Saturday because I forgot to put fresh batteries in my flash. I wish Oly had made it hinged like the one on the E-PL2 so it could at least be bounced.

And why couldn't they use the same battery as in the Pens? DH will inherit my E-PL2 so now I have to pack three chargers - for the pen, the E-M5 and the one for the third party battery that I bought that the Oly battery will not charge in. I would have spent the money to buy an Oly battery for this trip but it's only available for preorder still.

I had to order a new SD card yesterday too. I started out Saturday with an empty 16gb card and shooting RAW+jpeg, I filled it up yesterday! But once I get the camera set up to how I like the jpeg output, I'll not shoot in RAW unless it's difficult lighting or something I definitely want to make sure to have the RAW if I have to do a lot of pp.

But so far I love it!

Welcome, hamellr! Nice to see another Oly user. I've tried out the other brands too, but I really like the Olympus offerings much better.

As far as the E-M5, I don't care for the small flash included with it. I had to use it at a first birthday party Saturday because I forgot to put fresh batteries in my flash. I wish Oly had made it hinged like the one on the E-PL2 so it could at least be bounced.

But so far I love it!

Other than for RC mode those little clip on flashes are basically useless. I've had really good success using the FL36R on my E-PM1. It looks kind of weird when the flash is bigger than the camera :goodvibes but it sure gets the job done!!

Congrats on the E-M5

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter