Photo Assignment October '07: Depth of Field

This was taken with a 10-22 at 22mm, f/11. With that wide angle and small aperture *everything* is in focus.

porsche_0230.jpg

This photo was taken with a 50mm at f/2, almost nothing is in focus.

wally_9834.jpg

img4650gm4.jpg

The little brass statues in the MK hub

I Love this picture. I have so many pictures of this statue from above and at eyelevel, never once occured to me to get the castle in the background. Thanks for the idea on my next trip!

shallow depth of field..

p989338562-4.jpg

deep depth of field..

p387330538-4.jpg

i try to avoid looking at the assignment thread till i go out and do it but since it's getting close to the end of the month and i forgot to do it, i peeked;) ...great job everyone! maybe this weekend i'll go out and work on it...

Shallow depth of field...

208665953-L.jpg

Camera - Canon 30D
Lens - Canon 50mm
Mode - Manual
Aperture - f/3.2
Shutter speed - 1/1000
ISO - 320

Deep depth of field
208666118-L.jpg

Camera - Canon 30D
Lens - Canon 28 - 135 IS
Mode - Manual
Aperture - f/22
Shutters speed - 1/8
ISO - 320

Sorry the photos are not of the same subject. These were taken for my NYIP photo assignment which just happens to be the same as this one. :thumbsup2

Shallow depth of field used. The light was getting pretty low and I already was pushing the ISO up to 1250.

nick2galv.jpg

Camera model: NIKON D70
Date/Time: 2007:10:16 17:24:04
Resolution: 426 x 640
Flash used: No
Focal length: 122.0mm
Exposure time: 0.0029 s (1/350)
Aperture: f/5.6
Metering Mode: matrix
Exposure: shutter priority (semi-auto)
Comment: (c) TOM PIELECH

I :love: ALL of the photos!

AshleyMWC: I cannot believe that close-up! Awesome job!

dcg0317: Absolutely stunning!

0bli0: Your little Kalen is adorable and so is the pic!

:cheer2: to everyone, even me, cause I finally got high speed and can look at all the photos now! :banana: (I never knew how energetic the smilies are!)

:offtopic: sorta...Could someone recommend the very first thing I should do to try and learn photography? I have a new digital Canon 630 and an old film SLR, which I don't imagine I'll use much anymore. Any advice or thread/website recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all for posting your fabulous photos!

:flower1:

I finally got out to take some pics, but I am not happy with the clarity of these, but I did enjoy learning something new. The only problem is that when I do this it seems to cause a lot of noise because I have to set the ISO up so high, any good advice about avoiding all the noise. I had to run all of these through a noise filter.

DSC02270.jpg

F 2.8, ISO 800

DSC02266.jpg

F 2.8, ISO 800

DSC02262.jpg

F 2.8, ISO 1000

DSC02256.jpg

F 2.8 ISO 200

DSC02254.jpg

F 2.8, ISO 320

I am not sure why all of these say F 2.8, I could have sworn that I took more of a variety, But that is what it says under image information, maybe I am looking at the wrong thing.

one of my exif programs tell you the max f of your lens and the f you used in 2 different places...looks to me like different dof( ie look how much clearer the background on number 2 is) so could your's be similar? i really like 2 and 3 a lot

It looks to me like you were outside on a bright sunny day, not sure why you were shooting at such high ISO's, if you lowered it down you wouldn't get the grain.

ICould someone recommend the very first thing I should do to try and learn photography? I have a new digital Canon 630 and an old film SLR, which I don't imagine I'll use much anymore. Any advice or thread/website recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all for posting your fabulous photos!

Get youself a copy of Understanding Exposure, then read it and learn how ISO, Apeture, and Shutter speed combine to make a picture and what changing them will do to the picture.

I'm definitely still learning how to use DoF effectively, especially extremely shallow DoF with my 30mm f1.4. This is my favorite image to come from it yet, not taken by me sadly (taken by my wife of our nephew)...

cdde2b53.jpg

f1.8, 1/30th, ISO 400

A fun one from our trip last month, way overboard with the bokeh...

5380ac2e.jpg

f1.4, 1/80th, ISO 800

Driving down the road and this crane peaks into my car window....had to take advantage of the situation...
F/9.0 70MM ISO400
IMG_8012.JPG

F/90 133ISO400
IMG_8022.JPG

F/9.0 70MM ISO400
IMG_8019.JPG

Thanks for the book recommendation. I just reserved it at the library and it turns out they have a DVD-Rom as well, so I'm getting that too. :cool1:

I'm excited to learn whatever this feeble mind can absorb! :laughing: :confused:

Thanks again!

Thanks for the book recommendation. I just reserved it at the library and it turns out they have a DVD-Rom as well, so I'm getting that too. :cool1:

I'm excited to learn whatever this feeble mind can absorb! :laughing: :confused:

Thanks again!

Your welcome, when you get it, if you have questions come back and ask, lots of good photographers here that are always willing to help.

It looks to me like you were outside on a bright sunny day, not sure why you were shooting at such high ISO's, if you lowered it down you wouldn't get the grain.

Actually these were under an awning, so it was a little darker under there, but when I lowered my Aperature, it got really dark. Next time should I keep my Aperature higher and not worry about the effect that I am trying to get?

Jan1033 - I will post a pic of what come up when I click on Image information. I really don't know what a lot of it means. Can you tell me which one is the Aperature that I used?
Untitled-1copy.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter