Phone Call from WDW re DDP email

I think you're really hit the nail on the head: Fewer people will patronize the Dining Plan, and that is perhaps part of Disney's intent. They want to make the same amount of money serving fewer guests in the restaurants, because the restaurants have been overly-crowded. Less crowded restaurants will be better able to provide better service, with less turning customers away.

And they're not abandoning the whole idea of having the Dining Plan enhance staying on-site as an option, but rather balancing the conflicting needs. For the past three years, the needs of the hotels has dominated and trumped the needs of the restaurants. Now they're going back a bit and letting the restaurants have a bit more priority.

So hearing, "We're not going to be using the Dining Plan next year," is probably not going to prompt Disney to change -- they probably wanted fewer patrons for the Dining Plan. What will really matter is impact of these changes on the profitability of the whole enterprise, theme park admissions, hotel, and restaurants.

I agree with bicker.
Another point we often hear and read is how the menus were dumbed down. And most would agree it came down to the DDP when restaurants had to turn the tables faster.
I think the increase is just a correction in the system overall -- ADRs, revenue, table turn over, etc.
Disney does not want unhappy guests. But they want to make money on the restaurants and keep the majority happy.

Good to know - thanks to the thread (and in spite of Bicker's reasoning - ie I feel you made great points, that I wouldnt dispute... ) I added an email with my thoughts about the changes to the DP!! Even if it gets an "enhancement" of either app or dessert... it didnt take much time, and it feels good knowing it will be read by someone!!

(so much so I fired off another email about the price increase to the F&W ticketed events!! )

I just wrote my letter to disney. We will see what happens now. Personly, I don't need a call from Disney to explain thier decisions as much as a consideration to make the 2008 DDP include a choice of desert or app.

I like the idea of not excluing a mug from the basic DDP too. I'd like to see all plans get a resort mug.

I just emailed and told them I didn't like the plan and that because of it they would be losing our lodging dollars as we forgo a Disney package for more economical choices.

I think it's good that WDW is listening to what people have to say about the DDP changes.After the changes were announced I actually did a price breakdown on how much we would save on the DDP vs not. We were still going to save $$ (around $350) but I actually overestimated the costs on the non DDP to include more snacks than we would normally get just so I ended up with the same amount of snacks, meals etc for cost comparison basis. Even including tips.

And like others stated, one change I would like to see is to have a choice between an appatizer or dessert. One of the issues for me is that I loved (in June 2006) knowing all our food was paid for. Tax, tip, lock stock and barrell. (Except for a couple of Backscratchers at Ohanas) It made it very convenient, didn't have to take any $$ except a few bucks and the room key for charges. 1st timers won't even know of any changes, or that it's not as good of a deal as before, and will simply book a package: resort, flight, DDP and be done with it. And when you compare the # or non DIS educated people vs the DISers, well Disney's really not losing $$. And in the end, that's what will influence any changes in the plan. But I say let them know anyway, because you never know...miracles do happen:goodvibes

There were roughly 42 million guest who attended WDW parks in 2005. There are roughly 142,000 DIS members, 0.3% of the total number of guests. Does anyone seriously think that DIS members materially affect the decisions that Disney makes?

I know this is hardly scientific, BUT.......

Thanks for the facts and figures natsammy5! Even if every single Dis'er went 4 times each year it's still not going to make a huge financial difference to Disney.

I just wanted to update inorder to add that I recieved my call from Disney yesterday. I left me darn cel phone at home so it was a left message but a long one.

Basicaly a feel good call. The CM notes that my comments would be taken into consideration for the 2009 DDP and that they will most likely not make any changes to the 2008 plan. She made a small disclaimer to say that it didn't mean that there was no chance that a change couldn't be implemented.

I took this as no change to come in the 2008 plan, the disclaimer was just that. So in short, the calls may help the DDP next year but as Bicker stated, the only was to make Disney pay attention is to not use the 2008 DDP and hope that isn't thier goal.

I was not that thrilled with the pre-2008 DDP, so for sure I won't be partaking the plan next year.
Solution: eat more off site, less on site and eat a few more meals in room (DVC).:thumbsup2

I don't care for the AP rise in price.
Solution: visit WDW parks less, visit USF more. We enjoy both. :thumbsup2

I didn't call or email WDW about either. I just won't buy them! No problem.:thumbsup2

PS But I agree that it is good to let WDW know if you are not happy with something.;)

There were roughly 42 million guest who attended WDW parks in 2005. There are roughly 142,000 DIS members, 0.3% of the total number of guests. Does anyone seriously think that DIS members materially affect the decisions that Disney makes?

I know this is hardly scientific, BUT.......

Excellent point.

Also keep in mind, however, that not all repeat customers who have used the current DDP and are ticked off about the 2008 DDP are DIS members. The percentage of annoyed customers who have complained is certainly not limited to DIS members. So while DIS members alone don't have a material effect on decisions by management, when combined with other annoyed customers we may be looking at a higher percentage.

In any event, I agree with Bicker. It is all going to come down to Disney being effected financially.

We have booked a package for April and are including the DP again. For us, it is not a matter of saving a bunch of money. It is a matter of convenience. It's so nice to be able to pay for your meals way in advance. And then, we don't feel guilty about ordering the most expensive things on the menus. We're still saving money even with the new plan. I worked out a spreadsheet to calculate how much money we save vs. out of pocket costs.

i can't believe i'm about to say this:scared:, but i think i might be in agreement with bicker somewhat on this one...

i think Disney has been in the process of floating test balloons, trying to see how much we're willing to give up and at what price-point.
Does anyone remember the pool temperature debacle of 05-06? They lowered the pool temps to a ridiciulous level to see if anyone would notice, when people complained, they raised the temps halfway back up. So, essentially we were satisified and thankful with less than what we had before.

look at how many people on here are already saying they would "be happy" with a choice of appy or dessert...

anyone know how to boil a frog?

I know how to boil a frog :yay: . Great analogy. And I think you are right.

Not sure how I feel about the new ddp or what impact it will have on future trips. We have only used it twice...both with free dining. Our nextr trip will be again next September, so we will wait and see how things play out.

I did want to mention that during our trip last week several times my husband had conversations with servers (and the servers initiated) who were quite anxious about the results for them with the new ddp...how many people will simply not tip? The employees sees to be quite concerned about how things will work.

So perhaps a double squeeze...unhappy guests and cm's will push Disney to change???? Guess we will wait and see.

Oh, and about the pool temp comment, I seriously think Disney is doing that this year with the ac temps in all of their buildings. Every building was so much warmer than on past summer visits. Used to be you could really cool off from the heat...this year it was more warm than cool in most buildings in the parks.

Oh, and about the pool temp comment, I seriously think Disney is doing that this year with the ac temps in all of their buildings. Every building was so much warmer than on past summer visits. Used to be you could really cool off from the heat...this year it was more warm than cool in most buildings in the parks.

Oh, that reminds me...i meant to send a letter - they were doing that with the Epcot area friendship boats too this year.

What you have to also realize is that there are many people like my myself, and friends of ours, that go to Disney every year that WANTED the deluxe dining plan. My friends and I have been talking about wanting an all-inclusive meal plan that was reasonably priced and did not include all the extras we didn't want like boat rentals, child care, etc. I even emailed Disney asking for this very plan a couple of times. I also mentioned it in surveys, on the phone to CM's, to the WDW travel company, etc.

I wanted this deluxe dining plan. I added it to my May 08 BC ressie and I'm actually VERY happy about it. :goodvibes The first thing I did was call my 2 friends (who also vacation yearly in WDW with their families) and tell them about it. Guess what? They booked the plan too. My friend Laura could not get off the phone with me fast enough. She immediately called WDW and changed her GF room only to a package with deluxe dining. We don't rent cars and have zero interest in eating offsite. So, maybe some of those 42 million visitors are families like ours and we're happy. ;)

As far as I know, I am the poster who first brought this issue up months ago, took some flack and skepticism (understandable), etc. And yes, my un derstanding is that the union contract (of which, servers, like the DIS, make up about .3% of all workers and have no power) - the union contract can revert to the old contract through a loophole if Disney decides they are negatively affected by the new 2008 DDP (financially). I don't know the details of this, only that it does apply to servers gratuity and such. I cannot 100% confirm this, but am simply passing info received from a reliable source. Still, take with a grain of salt.

I am happy that people are expressing their opinions to Disney. Do not be discouraged, every call and email helps. Disney, like any company, wants to hear the thoughts of its guests and get better insight into the decision-making its loyal consumers make.

Just so we put the DDP in perspective, here is its history over the last 5 years - after 9/11/2001, Disney and all tourism suffered hard. Remember, air travel and tourism has only really recovered in the last 2-3 years - there were some very very lean years in 2002 and 2003. How did Disney lure the guests back, and get them to stay in the Disney resorts instead of off-site? The DDP (which became very popular with repeat guests and got great word of mouth).

Central Florida was devastated by 3 hurricanes in late summer/fall of 2004. Hurricane season also falls in a very very dead time of year for Disney historically, late August and September. School has started so family vacation decline, yet it is still very hot and humid in Florida - thus, guests historically stay away in September. So, Disney offered resort discounts and the free DDP (called the "hurricane plan" in 2005 by the way). Disney figured it was better to get guest revenue through hotel bookings and ticket sales (as well as selling merchandise and all the extras that guests spend at Disney World) by giving away free food.

The key here is that SYNERGY was involved. Disney didn't care if it "lost" money in its food and beverage department, because the profits from other areas far exceeded these losses.

Indeed, it seems Disney resort profits (disney lodging) have been incredible the last few years; the hote's' occupancy levels are at very high levels year round (even with price increases at these very resorts). It is undeniable that DDP has contributed significantly to guests' decision to book on property as opposed to off-site.

Disney is indeed now testing the waters - it wants to make food and beverage more profitable while keeping its others line of business (ticket sales, resort profits, merchandise revenues, etc etc) the same or increased also. This year, in addition to the hidden increase in the DDP out-of-pocket costs, you will see restaurant prices increase again, though very modestly (a dollar here and there for buffets or entrees, for example). You will also see prices at popular buffets (character meals, Ohana, etc) increase a few bucks at peak times, like Christmas, spring break/Easter, etc.

Let me assure you that Disney will get a very quick idea of how this new plan is going over with consumers. January and February are also historical slow periods for Disney tourism. Rest assured that if DDP, and more importantly, resort reservations drop off substantially from previous years, Disney will take notice. As DIsney hears guests calling and writing that they will stay off-site because of the changes in DDP, and indeed Disney revenues at resorts suffer, they will put two and two together.

I am not advocating that you simply tell Disney this - be honest. Let Disney know how DDP changes will affect your future visits (if it affects them at all). Many on here have expressed that they will not purchase DDP, and some say they will save money by staying off-site, because DDP was the main reason to stay at Disney. Others will still purchase the plan and stay on-site. That is fine.

The bottom line is the bottom line - if Disney starts losing money, they will make changes. If this happens, they will make the appropriate changes ONLY if they stay well-informed from their loyal guests.

We have booked a package for April and are including the DP again. For us, it is not a matter of saving a bunch of money. It is a matter of convenience. It's so nice to be able to pay for your meals way in advance. And then, we don't feel guilty about ordering the most expensive things on the menus. We're still saving money even with the new plan. I worked out a spreadsheet to calculate how much money we save vs. out of pocket costs.

I agree-as a family of 6 (three teenage boys) it is just nice to know that the meals are paid for in advance and we do not need to worry about the cost of food and if we can afford to eat where and what we want to. If we have to carry some extra cash for tips I can deal with that....it will be a lot less than what we would have to budget for meals:) I do agree however that a choice between dessert and an app. would be nice but Iwill be on vacation at WDW and that will be the last thing I will want to worry about:woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter