PHM15: A Frozen Cupcake Celebration & Carnage as No Cupcake is Left Behind

ANIMAL KINGDOM LODGE ROOM REVIEW
OVERALL ROOM GRADE A

3.JPG
I was so excited to open the door to our AKL DVC Preferred View Studio! My goal is to stay at every WDW resort at least once! This trip it was AKL thanks to a fellow cupcake who was so wonderful in renting the points we needed for our stay. Why AKL? It is the one resort or area that I have never ventured to. Every trip has had me having an ADR here, but I have never made it. I really wanted a place where I could relax at this trip; you know a place to spend some time not in the room but on the balcony or by the pool. Sadly, the weather did not want to cooperate for us but we made it work. Now back to the room.

ROOM LOCATION
GRADE C

The trek to finding our room was just that! While they text you a room number, it is up to you to find it. LOL. Cammy and I studied the map after we were welcomed home. We both thought we were going the right way when we got into the elevator but instead of heading down the Zebra trail we ended up on the Giraffe trail. It did not take too long to figure out our mistake and soon we were headed down a VERY LONG Zebra trail that kept going and going until we found our room. I was instantly a little disappointed because we were not on the main Arusha Savanna, but facing the Uzima Savannah. I shrugged a little because last time I was disappointed in a room; it ended up being the BEST room at the BWV in terms of view. Just how far was it from Disney Transportation Bus Stop to our Room…would you believe a little under ¾ of a mile! That’s right, one night I decided to turn on MapMyRun just to see how far it was…0.68 miles! YIKES. It took us a little while to turn our wrists just right to match the Mickey’s but upon entering I just got that warm feeling, because of the earth tone color scheme which was really relaxing and calming. You enter the studio through a narrow hallway…

4.JPG
one side of the hallway is the vanity/bathroom…

BATHROOM/VANITY
GRADE A

6.JPG 7.JPG
I have to give the vanity area high marks as there was plenty of room for 3 women, their stuff, as well as able to get around at the same time. The bathroom itself was a tad small but big enough to serve its purpose. The hot water was plentiful and the shower head sprayed well. Most importantly we had no issues with flushing in this room! I do wish that Disney would put fans in their bathrooms, though. Compared to AoA Little Mermaid bathroom, this one was calm and tranquil in terms of theming…I did manage to find a few hidden Mickeys in the shower curtain and wallpaper, but I did not have a camera with me.

KITCHETTE
GRADE B

5.jpg
Directly across the vanity area is a small kitchenette, since this is a DVC room. I was disappointed, first by now Disney should have Keurigs in their rooms. I know that a lot of DVC owners actually cook in their rooms and I just did not see how that would be feasible in this room. There was a microwave (which we used a few times) and a toaster, plus a limited amount of utensils. No wine opener, which was a pain to have to carry the bottle downstairs to the lounge to be opened. The sink was really small as well as the refrigerator. There was also not a lot of storage. It was enough to serve our needs.

ROOM
GRADE A-

1.jpg 2.JPG
3a.jpg 8.JPG 9.JPG

The narrow hallway then opens to the main room which had a queen sized bed, sofa (with bed), a large wardrobe, dresser/TV, and table and with 2 chairs. While it says that the room sleeps 4 adults, comfort wise I am glad that we only had 3 in our room as it would have been a bit cramped. The bed sits really high off the ground (great place to store luggage), but was so pretty to look at as well as very comfortable. The room had great little touches that made you really feel African Safari. Very tastefully done! I loved it. The far end of the main room is the sliding glass doors that lead to the balcony...

ROOM VIEW
GRADE B+

10 (1).JPG 10 (8).JPG

11.JPG 12.JPG
Remember my disappointment at the door, well when I stepped onto the balcony I was still disappointed. In fact it took 2 days for me to become excited about what was outside those sliding glass doors. For the first 2 days we only saw 2 crazy goats, a herd of cattle (we have longhorns in Texas so these horns were not too impressive to us), a few birds and what we deemed 1 “fancy donkey” (which turned out to be a grey zebra).

13.JPG 14.JPG

15.JPG 16.JPG

It was a very quiet balcony, which was nice as the last day I sat out on it for quite a while soaking up the sun and dreading going home. The few nights that we were in my 9 pm we would hear Illuminations but could not see it because we were on the opposite site. Our view did get better a few days into our stay…you will just have to follow along to find out how!

What??? No good cupcakes at AoA or Pop?? Not cool! At least you got some good pictures, and then got to head over and settle in at AKL (where I hope you got some cupcakes and cocktails!)

I know...I have no idea why we had such bad luck finding cupcakes...after an entire year of counting down with a Disney Cupcake each Friday it was extremely disappointing to be met with a "STANDARD" cupcake at each stop...

So all in all I guess it worked out for the best that I couldn't go on the trip since it was tight with 3 of you in the room...although I still wish I could have gone. AKL is one of those I have yet to visit (in non flat form). We have had ADRs there too & always cancel them. Maybe next year...or in 2018 for Marathon weekend I will get over there for a meal.

No King Cupcake...I know you were really wanting that one too. Wonder what was up with the boring cupcakes that day?!

I just noticed your new ticker...woot woot W&D half!! I will add that one after our trip in Dec.

I'm glad someone took pics of their room b/c this someone forgot. :rolleyes:

Rey & I stayed on that savanna and I actually think I preferred it to the main one Tweedle and I had! There were SO many trees, we couldn't see barely any of the animals. I'm sure it's better on a lower floor, but I'll never been on another floor b/c I can only afford AKL if I rent points! I love it though, the theming is right up my alley.

I was sorely disappointed in the cupcake offerings on the trip. Here we built up every Cupcake Friday for all these unique cupcakes and WDW totally bailed on us! :sad2:

I made my ticker too!!! :lovestruc

I agree with Karen on the floor choices of Jambo House. This is where I have to give Kidani the props- you are able to rent points for a lower floor for an amazing view!

That being said- I LOVED Jambo house in terms of the other amenities offered.. Kidani needs more!

Need. More. Cupcakes. Need. Lemon! Darn WDW!

Will We Ever Find Our Way to the Cupcakes and Cocktails?
The plan was to settle into our room Wednesday afternoon, explore AKL and maybe go for a swim before our dinner reservations later that night in MK. But as this trip progresses, you will see that Elsa has a knack for messing up the plans. We did settle into the room and then we took off exploring AKL where we managed to get lost and run into several dead ends. LOL But AKL has to be one of the most beautiful resorts on property!

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 7.JPG

I have to attempt some of these photos my be mine, but probably mostly stolen from Tweedle Bossy who had and amazing eye for capturing things in pictures. After several failed attempts we finally found the Mara and yes, a WELCOME HOME CUPCAKE.

8.jpg
Taking our treat outside we found the Uzima Springs Pool Bar…

uzima springs bar.jpg
And while the weather (wind and low 60s) made Cammy and myself not want to swim, however Kafi and Debra jumped right in. Meanwhile Cammy and I enjoyed a drink and a cupcake watching them shiver and splash each other. Cammy ordered the Black Cherry Lemonade while I went for the Island Moonshine…both were perfect complements to our Zebra Cupcake (Chocolate with butterfinger crunchy things).

9.JPG 10.JPG
FINALLY OUR FIRST TRUE COCKTAILS OF THE TRIP!!! Don’t you just love the lifeguards all bundled up in winter attire watching over the pool?

191.JPG

OFFICIAL CUPCAKE & COCKTAIL COUNT

Cupcake Count: 5
Grocery Store Vanilla Bean (2)
Giraffe (Orange Marmalade) at AKL (1)
Zebra (Butterfinger) at AKL (2)
AoA Cupcake (1)

Cocktail Count
Tammie-2 (as of Wednesday afternoon)
Cammy-2 (as of Wednesday afternoon)
Tweedle Bossy-5 (as of Sanaa) + 1 empty pink cup
Tweedle Confused-5 (as of Sanaa) + 1 empty pink cup

Last edited:
So all in all I guess it worked out for the best that I couldn't go on the trip since it was tight with 3 of you in the room...although I still wish I could have gone. AKL is one of those I have yet to visit (in non flat form). We have had ADRs there too & always cancel them. Maybe next year...or in 2018 for Marathon weekend I will get over there for a meal.

No King Cupcake...I know you were really wanting that one too. Wonder what was up with the boring cupcakes that day?!

I just noticed your new ticker...woot woot W&D half!! I will add that one after our trip in Dec.

NO WAY...We would have made it work if you were there! We would not have even noticed. I would rather be cramped then not have you there!

I had to put a new ticker in...signatures look so loney without one. It makes me happy to see!

I'm glad someone took pics of their room b/c this someone forgot. :rolleyes:

Rey & I stayed on that savanna and I actually think I preferred it to the main one Tweedle and I had! There were SO many trees, we couldn't see barely any of the animals. I'm sure it's better on a lower floor, but I'll never been on another floor b/c I can only afford AKL if I rent points! I love it though, the theming is right up my alley.

I was sorely disappointed in the cupcake offerings on the trip. Here we built up every Cupcake Friday for all these unique cupcakes and WDW totally bailed on us! :sad2:

I made my ticker too!!! :lovestruc

I was happy by the end of the trip with the view...except you got the fireworks that I could only hear! I hear you...renting points is how I stay deluxe too!

I seriously am ticked about the lack of cupcakes at every place I looked! I had my list made!

So ready for our trip...had to put the ticker up!

WDW owes us cupcakes...and good ones next time lol.

You made your ticker too :banana:

DARN RIGHT!!!!

I agree with Karen on the floor choices of Jambo House. This is where I have to give Kidani the props- you are able to rent points for a lower floor for an amazing view!

That being said- I LOVED Jambo house in terms of the other amenities offered.. Kidani needs more!

Need. More. Cupcakes. Need. Lemon! Darn WDW!

I loved the RESORT!!!!!! Would I stay there again, yes but I have others on my least MAINLY BEACH CLUB...which I am hoping for our W&D Trip!

SPINNING AND CHUGGING
After enjoying our treats next to the pool we decided that since the weather did not cooperate with our initial plans, why not go and walk through world showcase? Surely we can find more cocktails there…so off we went to Epcot.

2.jpeg 3.JPG

We had no plans, so we just kind of wandered around until Debra and Kafi started begging to ride something. And did we ride…Mission Space, hee hee that will make them be quiet for a while. My evil plan backfired when the line for Orange Mission was 45 minutes and Green was 10 minutes…Mission Green so you won’t be green after the ride.

4.JPG
A little thirsty after the ride we decided to make our way through World Showcase, and make our way we did. I have no idea why we did not stop but somehow we ended up in France…by passing Mexico and La Cava. So when in France, what is one supposed to drink…

5.JPG

With drinks in hand we crossed over to the UK looking for something to munch on. I was hoping for just some “chips” but the line was so long that we just sipped on our drinks and decided to head towards the BW Bakery to fill our void of cupcakes. Who knew that you can’t take drinks out of Epcot? Now you know, thanks to us having to retreat back to the bridge area and chug our Gran Mariner Orange Slushy without getting a brain freeze.

5a.jpeg

Cammy and I then strolled towards the Boardwalk, just enjoying the nice afternoon…until we entered into the Boardwalk Bakery to a line that was 3 rows deep. Not wanting to wait we consoled ourselves to onto the bus with the thought of finding a cupcake at MK.

1.JPG

As we entered MK with the hopes of finding a cupcake, Cammy noticed her fitbit read.

6.JPG

Had we really done that much walking already today? YIKES! About that time the Shake Up Dance Party was happening on Main Street and Kafi and Debra busted out a few moves before we made our way to the hub where we stood and gazed at the castle for a while and enjoyed our surroundings.

7.JPG 8.JPG

Little did we know that in about 5 minutes that disaster would strike the first time, setting the tone for the evening and more disasters to follow…

Attachments

• 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 7
191.JPG
OFFICIAL CUPCAKE & COCKTAIL COUNT
Cupcake Count: 5
Grocery Store Vanilla Bean (2)
Giraffe (Orange Marmalade) at AKL (1)
Zebra (Butterfinger) at AKL (2)
AoA Cupcake (1)

Cocktail Count
Tammie-3 (as of Wednesday late afternoon)
Cammy-3 (as of Wednesday late afternoon)
Tweedle Bossy-5 (as of Sanaa) + 1 empty pink cup
Tweedle Confused-5 (as of Sanaa) + 1 empty pink cup

I still cant believe Elsa was so mean with her cold temps. So crazy compared to the temps we had in 2014.

Mission Space...surprised you were able to get me on that one. I am not good with confined spaces.

I just love how y'all will go to almost any lengths for a cupcake! All forms of transportation, and even gulping down a frosty beverage!

I still cant believe Elsa was so mean with her cold temps. So crazy compared to the temps we had in 2014.

Mission Space...surprised you were able to get me on that one. I am not good with confined spaces.

We had you going when we texted you that you were riding ORANGE! You did Green like a trooper I might add...you were the navigator while Kafi was in charge of pilot...she made us crash land on Mars!

I just love how y'all will go to almost any lengths for a cupcake! All forms of transportation, and even gulping down a frosty beverage!

I know...LOL. Sadly there was not very many cupcakes to be found after all the planning and mapping we did...so we had to make up for it in wine and cocktails. LOL!

Maybe instead of cupcake Friday for the W&D trip, we should have cocktail Friday?? Seems like there is better luck finding those lol.

It's Five O'Clock Somewhere Friday...I now have a mission starting in November! Hmmm...Cocktail Crawl...with this group that may not be a great idea...wait till someone posts pictures of me and a lapu lapu....:rotfl2:okay maybe with just me that might not be a great idea...

Uh, YOU WIN suggestion of the year Debra!!!!!!!!!!! I'm IN! I'm sure you are surprised. :rolleyes:

:scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1:

You know Susan tax season is not in November you could go to great lengths with us for cupcakes and cocktails.

I love reading this so far! We were at our resort headed to DTD by the time you were in MK. I so wanted to come meet up with y'all but I knew we would stay out too late if I did. I'm glad y'all finally found a yummy cupcake and some adult beverages to enjoy! I never did get my slush in France. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter