Petition?

Coffee's up to a buck twenty five these days? Good thing I don't drink coffee.

I think OP's just having fun with us. Sounds like Monkeyboy.

What's wrong with the hat? :confused3 I love it and apparently a lot of others do too. It's the icon for the park.....so do you want to tear down the tree of life, spaceship earth and the castle also? they are the icons of those parks....wow...sometimes you just gotta wonder.......

What's wrong with the hat? :confused3 I love it and apparently a lot of others do too. It's the icon for the park.....so do you want to tear down the tree of life, spaceship earth and the castle also? they are the icons of those parks....wow...sometimes you just gotta wonder.......
I've started petitions for all those things.

That presumes that the monorail is the sole reason some guests go to Disney and if it was absent they would stay home. But, lets say you are right and people spend $100 for a ticket to ride the monorail. How many of them would it take to justify and expansion of the monorail?

Not really.....the monorail is all part of the *Disney Experience*, its one of many reasons people come and like I pointed out.......when it isn't available.people get upset.

As a rule of thumb......a monorail costs about the same as a 4 lane (2 in each direction) highway to build..........cheap?.....NO.,but not as expensive as it has been in the past..........and when you add the new ones will not have to have a pilot....it gets more attractive.

That all said........I see the airport to downtown Orlando as the big reason the monorail will be expanded.

I see 2 or 3 stops at WDW.....from there you will take a bus or pod or light rial system or monorail extension to different locations, IE resorts, DTD.

If WDW relies on buses.they are just another resort......its the uniqueness of WDW as a whole that keeps people coming and the monorail is part of that.

AKK

YES! TEAR DOWN THE HAT!!!! While we're at it, it's about time we replace that d**n rodent mascot. A mouse? REALLY? Who wants to pay good money to go visit a stupid rat? :rolleyes2

I love the smell of sarcasm in the morning.

Tell you what, OP, you build up your own theme park resort, you can design each park just the way you want it. Deal?

The only thing that might sway Disney is fewer people coming to the parks. A petition isn't going to make any difference.

By the way, I wish that they would completely refurbish the monorails too. They are rather tacky and break down too often which is a shame for us because we consider them an attraction.

IMO the Monorails are a free attraction that doesn't bring any revenue to the corporation. They were built by the old Disney who cared more about the Guest experience and the magic of Disney. Like most large companies today, profit comes first and Disney only invests in projects and improvements that make more money.

:earsboy: Bill

IMO the Monorails are a free attraction that doesn't bring any revenue to the corporation. They were built by the old Disney who cared more about the Guest experience and the magic of Disney. Like most large companies today, profit comes first and Disney only invests in projects and improvements that make more money.

:earsboy: Bill

Not really. Putting fridges in all resort rooms like they actually takes away a revenue stream. And they lost money by offering free wi-fi.

Of course you can argue that ANY improvement is based on wanting to bring in more guests. If they can enhance the guest experience at the same time, as many of them too, it is all good.

Disney does not accept ideas from outside sources.

They do, but they'd never admit it. When anyone submits an idea to Disney, they have a form letter from their legal dept. that immediately goes out saying they don't accept ideas from the outside. There use to be a website that published the names and office addresses of every Disney Executive. After noticing several significant issues during a trip several years ago, I wrote a detailed letter explaining same. I got the standard form letter back, though on our return trip a year or 2 later, 3 of the 4 issues I wrote about were corrected and these were not simple fix problems.

It's the icon of the park RIGHT NOW. Rememer that for a lot of us growing up, there was no hat and the beautiful and stunning Chinese Theater was the icon of the park. And it fit perfectly. When I enter DHS I know in my head that I have stepped back in time to old Hollywood. And I'm doing really well feeling like that's happened until I'm smacked in the face with that hat. It looks too new and pretty much blocks out the Chinese Theater completely. And it looks totally out of place surrounded by all the architecture of Hollywood Blvd. and Sunset Blvd.

Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful, huge hat. And it DOES fit at DHS as it represents (at least to me) Fantasia and all the huge milestones that went along with it. But it DOES NOT fit as the first thing you should see when you walk into the park. As someone else mentioned, it would be a great addition to the backlot tour.

Listen, I've come to terms with the fact that the hat has become a permanent icon / pin station in DHS. Would I love to see it moved? 100% yes. Do I think that this would ever happen (any time soon at least)? No.

I think that the point I'm trying to make is that Cinderella Castle, Spaceship Earth, and the Tree of Life have always been the icons of the Magic Kingdom, EPCOT, and Animal Kingdom. BUT the hat has not always been the icon of DHS. So when you mention tearing down all the other icons and how outlandish that would be, keep in mind that, while it was not torn down, the Chinese Theater was once the icon of DHS and has been replaced. And THAT'S perhaps why so many people have a problem with it.

It's the icon of the park RIGHT NOW. Rememer that for a lot of us growing up, there was no hat and the beautiful and stunning Chinese Theater was the icon of the park.

Ah, thank you!! Yes!!

I remember how beautiful it used to be to stroll through the gates & look down that "Old Hollywood" street, past all the shops, & see the theater at the end. It was majestic! It really felt like you were going back in time to the glory days of moviemaking. The shops all around, the Brown Derby for a nice meal, the theater for all of the big Hollywood premieres - it really set the scene of early 20th Century LA.

And now? A hat. A big blue hat. Just sort of plopped down in a courtyard right in front of the gorgeous architecture of the building we all loved, that was the icon of the park. Sighhhhhhhh.

Hi all, I'm new to the boards, but I've been lurking here and other places around the online Disney community for a while now, and I have a question.

Seeing as so many of us Disney fanatics, particular those of us who frequent Walt Disney World agree on a few issues, has anyone ever attempted to create a massive and formal petition to affect some of the policy and infrastructure changes we so desire in the parks? I can't imagine that a petition with 100,000 or more signatures on it, politely requesting that the sorcerer hat be torn down, would be looked at lightly... particularly if the press were involved in it's presentation. Similarly a petition calling for a massive monorail expansion and returning EPCOT Center to some of it's core themes and values?

I'm just wondering if this has been tried is all. I took a look at change.org and there are a handful of petitions going over there right now, though they mostly have to do with programming on the Disney channel.

Thoughts?

To provide a somewhat more serious response to your question ... of course a petition with 100,000 signatures on it would be noticed, but not necessarily taken seriously, regardless of whether or not the press were involved. 100,000 people represent less than 1% of the 15 million visitors WDW sees annually. So, while it may seem like a significant number in and of itself, in the context of WDW attendance, it's really not. No business is going to change something based on something that .6 percent of the customers want.

The other thing about petitions -- particularly internet petitions -- is that anyone can (and will) sign them. The people signing your "bring EPCOT back" or "expand the monorail" petition may have never once visited WDW. They may hate everything Disney stands for and are signing out of spite. They may be people who could care less, but just want to sign petitions. And Disney knows this. So ... petitions don't really get taken seriously.

What DOES get taken seriously is actual guests changing their buying patterns because they want something changed. Get a million people to stop buying things at DHS because they want the hat torn down, and you may get noticed. Get a million people to cancel their WDW trips until there are more monorail resorts, and you might have something. But until it affects the bottom line, Disney may take notice and watch for trends, but they're not going to change something that 99.4% of their guests don't seem to have a problem with.

:earsboy:

I did start one a couple of years ago( not on Change.org though) regarding the fact that they changed the TTA spiel. There were other petitions too. Mine had about 400 signatures..

They did put the portion about Tom Morrow back into the script so I like to think it had some effect.

Here it is..http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2319775

They do, but they'd never admit it. When anyone submits an idea to Disney, they have a form letter from their legal dept. that immediately goes out saying they don't accept ideas from the outside. There use to be a website that published the names and office addresses of every Disney Executive. After noticing several significant issues during a trip several years ago, I wrote a detailed letter explaining same. I got the standard form letter back, though on our return trip a year or 2 later, 3 of the 4 issues I wrote about were corrected and these were not simple fix problems.
Well ... there's a difference between a detailed letter explaining issues and suggesting solutions and an unsolicited idea for something in the parks. It's the unsolicited ideas that Disney will not accept. Complaints that just happen to include suggestions or fixes are not the same thing.

If Disney fixes one of the issues you encountered and just happens to use a method you suggested, you're probably not going to sue them for stealing your idea. If you send them an idea for a new theme park and they open a strikingly similar park ten years from now, you're probably going to want a piece of that profit. :)

:earsboy:

I did start one a couple of years ago( not on Change.org though) regarding the fact that they changed the TTA spiel. There were other petitions too. Mine had about 400 signatures..

They did put the portion about Tom Morrow back into the script so I like to think it had some effect.

Here it is..http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2319775

I am sure if they can do something small they'll do it...but don't hold your breath for "tear down the hat" or "build more monorail lines."

Or "don't close the Adventurers Club," that one sure didn't work.

It's the icon of the park RIGHT NOW. Rememer that for a lot of us growing up, there was no hat and the beautiful and stunning Chinese Theater was the icon of the park.

I'm guessing thats why they saw a need to build the hat. Disney probably didn't like having an icon they didn't own all the rights too (for merchandising and what not).

I'm guessing thats why they saw a need to build the hat. Disney probably didn't like having an icon they didn't own all the rights too (for merchandising and what not).

It is not that they did not wanted, they were simply not allowed.

I know the Earful Tower was the original (official) icon of the park, but i've never heard anyone refer to the Chinese Theater as the "icon of the park". Officially or otherwise.

Not really. Putting fridges in all resort rooms like they actually takes away a revenue stream. And they lost money by offering free wi-fi.

Actually it is a money saver putting all the fridges in the rooms.

You no longer have to maintain a cool/warm area to store them.
You no longer need the staff to inventory, deliver, maintain the storage facility.
You no longer have to gas up and maintain the vehicles to deliver them and pick them back up.
You no longer have lost time injury or workman's comp claims due to pulling a back while delivering or picking them up.

Those factors obviously far outweighed the cost of installing the beverage coolers on the values.

The free wi-fi is a different story; the wiring alone costs in the millions and it has to be maintained and updated, just like any other service in the buildings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter