Pet Peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
My pet peeve is the same for Dis and RL. Parents who allow kids to scream, squeal, wail (fake crying) while everyone else is trying to eat or stuck in a line for an attraction.

I was in HW&V for dinner and there was this kid about 5 years old, fussing, wailing, yelling. Tons of people turned around to give them the "eye" at which time the mom noticed and put her arm around her, now standing in the chair son, and said "That's OK Keep Going" or something to that affect. AMAZING is the only thing that came to mind. The child didn't appear to be special needs which I can totally overlook. Real meltdowns don't even bother me. I mean the noise is annoying but I understand them, esp when parents are trying to control the situation. The dinner was miserable.

We do NOT eat any character meals because of our experiences there. We are adults but enjoyed the characters but have decided never again. I accidently reserved one for this trip but had to cancel when I realized it was a character. We'll leave that for those of you with kids because we DO understand that many kids will be there and the chances of kid fits are greater and understandable.

ttintagel said:
Oh, that drives me right up the wall! No, he is not your "buddy!" He's your child, and you're supposed to be his parent!

Why is this such a problem? Do you all not have children? My children are absolutely my buddies as well as my children and I am their parent. I'm sure this will all change one day when they are 13 and decide I am the enemy :) but why can't a
father or any grown up relative, have a cute name for their kid? pumpkin, buddy, etc?

My pet peeve is the same for Dis and RL. Parents who allow kids to scream, squeal, wail (fake crying) while everyone else is trying to eat or stuck in a line for an attraction.

I was in HW&V for dinner and there was this kid about 5 years old, fussing, wailing, yelling. Tons of people turned around to give them the "eye" at which time the mom noticed and put her arm around her, now standing in the chair son, and said "That's OK Keep Going" or something to that affect. AMAZING is the only thing that came to mind. The child didn't appear to be special needs which I can totally overlook. Real meltdowns don't even bother me. I mean the noise is annoying but I understand them, esp when parents are trying to control the situation. The dinner was miserable.

We do NOT eat any character meals because of our experiences there. We are adults but enjoyed the characters but have decided never again. I accidently reserved one for this trip but had to cancel when I realized it was a character. We'll leave that for those of you with kids because we DO understand that many kids will be there and the chances of kid fits are greater and understandable.

The mom possibly was being sarcastic in the face of all the evil eyes or she could have been using a common parenting strategy to diffuse a tantrum. At home I will calmly goad my twins (DD especially) to scream louder, kick more, etc... to get that whole tantrum out and realize that they are not getting a rise out of me or getting their way. I wasn't there to guage the situation, just wanted to add a different side.

The mom possibly was being sarcastic in the face of all the evil eyes or she could have been using a common parenting strategy to diffuse a tantrum. At home I will calmly goad my twins (DD especially) to scream louder, kick more, etc... to get that whole tantrum out and realize that they are not getting a rise out of me or getting their way. I wasn't there to guage the situation, just wanted to add a different side.

That's a fine strategy to use............ at HOME.

It's a completely different matter when done in public.

Agreed...I wouldn't use that strategy in public nor do I condone parents who let their children behave badly in public. As a parent, I wanted to present a different side as it seemed the PP did not have children.

Holy cow no wonder we have wars in this world...we're all irritating the crap out of each other!!! :)

Not too much bugs me other than plain rudeness or blatant disregard for others. Strollers bump into people...eh, whatever it happens. People creep a little too close...oh well....blow a little toot and they'll back up pretty quick ---> which leads me to believe the person who gets irritated with public farters might be one of those people who creeps to close in line...

Oh and insanely specific and ridiculous pet peeves are my pet peeve. Lol* I mean...we're wearing those matching t-shirts for your viewing pleasure ya know...enjoy it...buddy. :):rotfl2::wave2:

With all the buddy talk reminds me of my pet peeve. Why do some people.. Usually women refer to little girls as momma??? Is that just a tx thing?? I never heard it in Illinois. It just bothers me seeing a 3 year old called momma... I don't get it, perhaps if it was explained to me I would understand.

With all the buddy talk reminds me of my pet peeve. Why do some people.. Usually women refer to little girls as momma??? Is that just a tx thing?? I never heard it in Illinois. It just bothers me seeing a 3 year old called momma... I don't get it, perhaps if it was explained to me I would understand.

My family has been in Texas for generations and I have NEVER heard this. Not once.

Great thread. First, to the people who are bent out of shape about the "buddy" comment, I think chloe4ever was being funny about parents using a generic nickname for their kid over and over and not that they call them their buddy. I laughed out loud when I read that post.

Second, I agree with the poster from the EVC perspective. It's usually an older person trying to navigate in those things and I often feel sorry for them as they are getting swarmed under by the crowds. Those things have got to be hard to maneuver. I thank God every day for my ability to walk around the parks.

As for my biggest pet peeve, it starts and ends with the line cutter(s) catching up to their party when they were somewhere else when the others got in line. How is this not flat out line cutting? How is this different if I just pushed my way to the front of the line because I feel like getting to the front. There is no reason why the party further up in line can't wait for you. It's ok for us who you pass to wait for you but not your own party? I have on several occasions almost stuck my arm out and simply not allowed the person/people to pass but every time I think about doing it I remind myself I'm on vacation and I'm usually in line with my kids or girlfriend and it just is not worth letting it interfere with our trip.

I feel I need to contribute and add a new one: people with very young kids or babies in a theater/show who's kid starts crying uncontrollably and they do nothing. Take the kid out. really?

And to add one more that is more in the real world than Disney World (although I guess it could be in Disney too) when I'm jogging on the sidewalk especially when I'm running in a city where you can't run on roads and a group of people are walking in a horizontal line taking up an entire wide sidewalk making it impossible to run by. Sorry, that just really bugs me.

I have never heard anyone say that , but I would be interested in hearing someone make sense of that one as well .Calingl a child..even a teen "momma":confused3 I can not figure out why people use half the "endearments" they use ... BOO BOO , BOOGER ?!

My family has been in Texas for generations and I have NEVER heard this. Not once.

Same here! Never heard a child called momma around here either.:confused3 Would think it very odd though! Defninitely not a Texas thing!

Same here! Never heard a child called momma around here either.:confused3 Would think it very odd though! Defninitely not a Texas thing!
Never heard it in Texas either, but I'm originally from California and my half-brother called his daughter "momma" or "mama" sometimes. But his family is Mexican, so maybe it's a cultural thing? IDK

pumpkinpatchquilter said:
Holy cow no wonder we have wars in this world...we're all irritating the crap out of each other!!! :)

Not too much bugs me other than plain rudeness or blatant disregard for others. Strollers bump into people...eh, whatever it happens. People creep a little too close...oh well....blow a little toot and they'll back up pretty quick ---> which leads me to believe the person who gets irritated with public farters might be one of those people who creeps to close in line...

Oh and insanely specific and ridiculous pet peeves are my pet peeve. Lol* I mean...we're wearing those matching t-shirts for your viewing pleasure ya know...enjoy it...buddy. :):rotfl2::wave2:

Not a creeper not one bit, but when you are standing in line for Space Mtn and someone cuts the cheese, if you are standing anywhere in the vicinity, you smell it. Wait until you get on the ride, hopefully the wind momentum is push it away lol

kerplop said:
Never heard it in Texas either, but I'm originally from California and my half-brother called his daughter "momma" or "mama" sometimes. But his family is Mexican, so maybe it's a cultural thing? IDK

Yeah I was just about to say maybe it was. In PR, everyone is 'mami' or 'mama' regardless of age. :) huge in the the South as well.

That is a good one lol

Thought of one, people that stare at you and give you nasty looks because you are in a ECV. Just because I do not have a phyical disabibilty does not mean I do not need a ECV

I completely agree I use an ECV because I broke my ankle/leg a couple years back and now I cant walk as far as I use to. I still have a metal plate in my leg!! But the only way anyone can see it is if they look to see the scars. So because My body is more like Ursula Size currently I get the Nasty looks. But Trust me if I didnt need it I wouldnt be paying $50.00 a day to use them!!

Mine is the people that wear the huge backpacks that stick out a foot from their backs and then they seem to forget they have them on and wack people in crowds as they turn back and forth. Or they back up , which normally is not a problem but with the backpack they hit you square in the chest or higher. Had this happen so many times that now i try my hardest to stand elsewhere but sometimes that is not possible. Usually men and usually much taller than I am.

annej said:
Mine is the people that wear the huge backpacks that stick out a foot from their backs and then they seem to forget they have them on and wack people in crowds as they turn back and forth. Or they back up , which normally is not a problem but with the backpack they hit you square in the chest or higher. Had this happen so many times that now i try my hardest to stand elsewhere but sometimes that is not possible. Usually men and usually much taller than I am.

Speaking of big backpacks. I was in line in MK for Alien Encounter with a British family in front of us. Petite mom had a HUGE backpack on her back. She whipped out a thermos and a delicate china teacup. Must've been tea time!

My biggest pet peeves are:

-People with strollers, wheelchairs who don't look where they are going and run over my toes.
-People who for whatever reason can't help maintain the cleanliness of the public restrooms.
-When people don't clear of their trash off the table after eating at CS restaurants.
-People with 100 KTTW cards/tickets at a FP machine :sad2:
-People who talk loudly during shows or while in an attraction where talking ruins the atmosphere.

First on the Buddy thing.

Some parents, myself included make a point to not use their child's name in public. Call it paranoia, what have you, people who prey on kids like to use their names to add a level of comfort. My son (who's in college now) was Skippy, Bud, Kid, Minion, Lil' Red (red hair, ex husband's name for him), Tex, Scout, etc depending on the moment.

I know it seems a little paranoid, honest, but you just don't know who's listening and watching.

Pet Peeves.

Flash photography.

People who get their knickers in a knot over nothing. (Not directed at anyone here, but if someone near by is getting on your last nerve, put some space between you. Go to the rest room, stop get a drink, just let them get 20 feet ahead of you. Hell I do this in the grocery store sometimes.
)

Those spray bottle fans. Yes they are nice for keeping cool but PLEASE watch where your kids are pointing those things. I wear glasses and frankly i don't like getting a near constant mist in my face because your kids are playing with the spray fans. (I had people around me using them fine no problem, and I've had people that I swear were just doing it to be annoying.)

Not specifically Disney related, but I work retail, people who use your name in every single sentence. Once or twice in a conversation great, it's lovely you know my name, I try and use the names of the customers I know when I see them. But just cause you can read my name tag and keep using my name doesn't mean we are bestest friends and I can cut you a sweetheart deal. It's not friendly past a certain point, it's just annoying. (And honestly for some people it's just a personality or disorder quirk. I know that.)

People who don't wear enough deodorant. Yes it's Florida in the summer, I know it only goes so far but at least start the day with some. Or have the courtesy to stand down wind.

People who complain about a little rain. It's Florida it often rains in the afternoon for a bit. Or alternatively, it's Florida during Hurricane Season, there isn't a bubble over the parks, weather happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter