Peru Family Vacation - July 19, 2011

Thanks--I'll be sure to bring currency! I've started gathering lots of info on Lima, and your report--and others too over the past few months--have been very helpful. (Probably the best part of the disboard!)

I just looked on line and see the HOHO bus is only available on weekends--doesn't help us as our pre-tour Lima time is Mon/Tues. So, looks like we'll arrange for a guide via the hotel--

Trip preparation is progressing. I've got the flights booked. Using points to fly United (through Houston). Also using points to stay at the Marriott in Lima, since we're getting in 2 days early.

Now I just have to convince the wife that we should stay an extra day to celebrate Peru's Independence day on July 27--and get a drink out of the Pisco Fountain :)

We did Peru ABD in 2009 and had the time of our lives. While in Lima, if you are up for it, go cliff gliding in Miraflores on the Pacific Ocean. We actually let our 8 year old do it and I have never seen him smile so much. It was only $50. and after speaking with the pilots, I felt totally safe allowing the kids to go.

Sol y luna resort is amazing, the shows, the horses, the food. Peru has some of the most amazing food. Keep an open mind and enjoy.

We are up for doing this one again.

One more question... Which train to Macchu Picchu does ABD use? Also, if someone remembers, what is included in the walking tour in Cusco? I'm reading on the cities we will be visiting and am thinking of what we will do during the free hours. Thanks for the input!!

One more question... Which train to Macchu Picchu does ABD use? Also, if someone remembers, what is included in the walking tour in Cusco? I'm reading on the cities we will be visiting and am thinking of what we will do during the free hours. Thanks for the input!!

The Train was Peru Rail - it was quite comfortable!

Cusco is very enjoyable - we spent our free time at a local market and the massive Cathedral in the City Center - well worth the admission price

The walking tour in Cusco is more designed to allow you to get your orientation in the city since you will have some time on your own. The guides will also point out some places you may want to come back and visit on your own. We toured one of the cathedrals (amazing) and went to the museum of native art (not sure the actual name). Both were worth the visit. There are also some pretty good market place areas if you are in the mood to do more shopping.
From the train research I did before our trip, the train ABD uses to get to Macchu Piccu is just under the top of the line train. There is sanck and beverage service on board and skylights. More than a comfortable way to travel!

How about the extra activities on the free afternoon (arrival day) at Sol y Luna? Did you book those beforehand or on the day of arrival?

How about the extra activities on the free afternoon (arrival day) at Sol y Luna? Did you book those beforehand or on the day of arrival?

No need to, it's not a very big hotel. Most of the kids on our trip played hide & go seek instead of horseback riding. BTW, it's a lovely hotel in a beautful setting - the big Peruvian feast and show are fantastic!

We did do the horse back riding at Sol y Luna (not on arrival day) and waited to book it when we arrived. About half of our group did the horse back riding, nobody had pre-arranged for it, and everybody got the time that they were looking for. We don't have children, but I know that the families with kids made their arrangements for the same time because the kids couldn't possibly leave their new friends by that point! A few in our group also scheduled packages at the spa - also easy to do once you have arrived.

wow, that's a huge discount. I'm going to look into costco in the future. I'm going to Peru on Aug 23rd, but i used points so I couldn't have used them now but that is great to know. Can you do it online?

I'm going on the Aug 23rd trip. I am a little nervous about the altitude stuff. I will look on

No need to, it's not a very big hotel. Most of the kids on our trip played hide & go seek instead of horseback riding. BTW, it's a lovely hotel in a beautful setting - the big Peruvian feast and show are fantastic!
This sounds like the best trip !!

We're going on the trip before yours--Aug 1 to 10; and the more we hear about the trip, the better it seems--can't wait!

Anyone have any idea who the guides might be? (I saw a report from last year--and imagine they have changed guides since, as seems to happen with most of the ABD trips year to year)

We're going on the trip before yours--Aug 1 to 10; and the more we hear about the trip, the better it seems--can't wait!

Anyone have any idea who the guides might be? (I saw a report from last year--and imagine they have changed guides since, as seems to happen with most of the ABD trips year to year)
I know Chris, one of the Guides I had for Southwest Splendors, does this trip sometimes. I hope you get him, because he is fabulous! (Not to say that all the Guides aren't spectacular!)

Sayhello

We had Chris for Southwest Splendors too and I actually asked him about the Peru and Ecuador trips. He convinced me to do either one and we are, since our Egypt trip has been cancelled. We are all excited as well and I am beginning to enrich my knowledge on Peru at this time which is making the whole trip a whole lot more interesting!

Please do a trip report and also let us know what you hear about who will be the guides for the August trips! (And how you coped with the altitude issues, and whether you explored Lima at all).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter