Peru Family Vacation - July 19, 2011

Just booked the July 19 Peru Family Vacation. Pretty excited, as Machu Picchu has been on my "list" for awhile. It'll be me, my wife, and 11 y.o. daughter.

Anybody else going?

BTW--I ended up booking this trip through Costco. The prices were a little bit lower than what the ABD page has and we're going to get a $500 Visa giftcard and a $700 Costco giftcard.

I just found this post and I will be arriving in Peru on July 19 as well. This will be a solo trip that has been on my list for a long time. The hiking package is a 8 day 7 night hiking trip from Cusco to Machu Picchu through SAS Travel. I am so looking forward to this trip.

We booked ourselves a Peru vacation the schedule prior, I believe. Going in July 5! Very very excited here!

Happy to see a few other July 5 families here. It's just my husband and I - and we cannot wait - three months away!!!

See you all soon.

You will love this trip! My 10 yr old daughter and I were on this trip with Adena's family---in fact, the "pool time" that Adena mentions is the first time my daughter met her children, and they all became inseparable for the rest of the trip.

I would highly recommend going to Lima a day early. Our flight from Miami was delayed and we did not reach the hotel in Lima until 2 am. Thank goodness the next morning we had a free day to relax and explore in Lima rather than having to jump on another plane to Cuzco. On our free day before the ABD tour began, my daughter and I actually walked from the hotel to the Huaca Pucillana archaeological site (referenced by Adena above); the walk took you through the Inca market and some residential areas which were interesting. I thought the ruins at Huaca Pucillana were very much worth seeing, and a good introduction to some of the ruins and eras explored later in the trip. And lunch was in a nice outdoor area, as explained by Adena, which offered a sampling of Peuvian fare with something for everyone's taste.

Regarding medication: I took the altitude medicine, but my 10 yr old daughter did not---she took only an occasional advil for a headache.

I exchanged for some Peruvian currency from Bank of America before our trip---you don't need much, but I always like to have some for taxi rides, the stray market souvenir, etc. I, too, ran out of funds at the end for the guides' tips and had to scramble a little at ATMs, so keep that in mind when changing (and keeping!) money.

I know Chris, one of the Guides I had for Southwest Splendors, does this trip sometimes. I hope you get him, because he is fabulous! (Not to say that all the Guides aren't spectacular!)

Sayhello

We had Ernesto and Rae (a previous guide on the ABD Costa Rico and Alaska tours) as our guides last summer in Peru. Ernesto lives in Cuzco, and also handles tours for A&K, so I'll bet he is still doing some of the ABD Peru tours this summer. We had Rae in Alaska, so we were delighted to see her again last summer in Peru. I'm not sure where she is this summer.....

Both Rae and Ernesto are great!

We had Ernesto and Rae (a previous guide on the ABD Costa Rico and Alaska tours) as our guides last summer in Peru. Ernesto lives in Cuzco, and also handles tours for A&K, so I'll bet he is still doing some of the ABD Peru tours this summer. We had Rae in Alaska, so we were delighted to see her again last summer in Peru. I'm not sure where she is this summer.....

Both Rae and Ernesto are great!
I had Rae in Alaska year before last, also. She *is* great!

Sayhello

We had an incredible small group in 2009 - Alejhandro was the local guide - she was a constant bundle of enthusiasm and energy. We also had Michael from ABD - also very good (not to be confused the beloved bald Mike who I think has been on every ABD trip) and another fellow as a guide in training.

Alejhandro was absolutely incredible with the kids - and was their best friend from day one forward. There was nothing she would do, or get the kids to do, I so hope she is still available. At the final dinner, she also went to the market and bought each of the kids a very nice present based upon what they had each talked about throughout the trip.

You will so love this trip.

I exchanged for some Peruvian currency from Bank of America before our trip---you don't need much, but I always like to have some for taxi rides, the stray market souvenir, etc. I, too, ran out of funds at the end for the guides' tips and had to scramble a little at ATMs, so keep that in mind when changing (and keeping!) money.

Hello! How much money in neuvo sols did you bring with you from home?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter