Pepper Market?

TinkerbellinNY6

Mouseketeer
I have ate at the pepper market before and I know they charge a gratuity since you have the person who gets your drinks. What I was wondering is if that is covered using the dining plan? I also know that you are not charged the gratuity if you take it to go but just in case we decide to stay and eat there I was wondering if the gratuity would be covered?

Thanks

unless it has changed in the last 6 months the answer is no, the gratuity is not covered. When we stayed at CSR and ate at the Pepper Market, when we went to the check-in counter (they seat you there) first the gal who took us to the table asked if we were on the dining plan, explained what we got and then told us there was a 10% gratuity and we would either have to pay cash for it or charge it to our room - not covered by the DDP. Then the waitress who took our drink order said the same thing. When the waitress brought our check...well it was printed on the receipt, too (spelling it out that it was not covered.) Then when we took it to the check-out area, the cashier pointed it out on the receipt and asked how did we want to pay the gratuity. And went on to tell us how she'd been cursed at in 6 languages over the dining plan not covering the tip, so please don't yell at her about it.

Frankly, we were pretty tired about hearing about it by the time we left, particularly since we had received almost no service (our drinks did not show up until long after our food was ready...and then we did not see the waitress again until after we had finished our dessert and were ready to leave. No refills. And the place was virtually empty...there was maybe 3 other tables occupied.)

And to top it off, we thought the food was totally mediocre. Over-cooked 1/2 in. thick steak, mushy veggies, no-flavor reuben sandwich (how do you even do that...at least the sauerkraut should have had some zing. Nope. It had no flavor at all.)

I have another question - and I'm not planning to stiff anyone. But a gratuity is a gratuity and it should be earned. What happens if we don't think the waitress deserved the 10%? Will they chase us down if we don't leave anything?

I have another question - and I'm not planning to stiff anyone. But a gratuity is a gratuity and it should be earned. What happens if we don't think the waitress deserved the 10%? Will they chase us down if we don't leave anything?

Since the 10% is something they automatically charge to everyone, much like an automatic gratuity of 18% on parties of 6 or more, it is part of the charge for your food and if you don't pay it you would get in trouble for stealing. I have heard or places calling the police on ppl who refuse to pay automatic gratuities. I sure wouldn't want Disney security or local police hunting me down because I didn't leave the few bucks tip they require.

If you don't want to pay the tip, get your food to go or don't eat there.

Since the 10% is something they automatically charge to everyone, much like an automatic gratuity of 18% on parties of 6 or more, it is part of the charge for your food and if you don't pay it you would get in trouble for stealing. I have heard or places calling the police on ppl who refuse to pay automatic gratuities. I sure wouldn't want Disney security or local police hunting me down because I didn't leave the few bucks tip they require.

If you don't want to pay the tip, get your food to go or don't eat there.

A better option would be to ask for a Manager and let him/her know that the service you received was not on par with the gratuity that they are charging. A manager would likely reduce or remove the gratuity if you were unhappy with the service.

I guess it depends on how much you value your time... if it's worth waiting for the manager to deduct the couple of bucks they charge.

We stayed at CSR the week before Labor Day and Pepper Market was the best surprise of our trip!

We ate in the dining room 4 times during our trip(breakfast, lunch, dinner, very late night dinner) and every single time the service was AWESOME!!!! We were never reminded (other than on the receipt) that gratuity was not included with our DDP. The servers, and host staff were the nicest of the trip. In fact, our server from a previous day actually remembered us later in our trip and said hello even though we had a different server! We were happy to pay for such great service!

(the food was awesome too!) :thumbsup2

If you ask for a "to go" ticket (actually stamped with those words at the top) when you enter at the podium you will not be charged the 10% at the register. Your orders will be packed for take out instead of put on plates, and you can carry them back to your room or to the few outside tables.

If you do sit down the 10% is expected and is not included in the dining plans. A lack of service should be discussed with the manager.

Seems to be intermittent that they enforce the 10% at the register. Some weeks those cashiers have been diligent in collecting it, at other times we've not been asked on some days but we charged it to our room anyway. The expected 10% is part of their pay, and I don't begrudge a small tip that I know about in advance compared to what my vacation is costing me. Do I like this policy? No, not for a glorified CS place. But I go to PM fully knowing what the policy is when I choose to eat there, and we enjoy the food and selections. I can get it to go if I want, or grab a salad or sandwich from Rix and not have to tip extra.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter