Penny Press

hmpoohbear

Earning My Ears
Newbie here so not sure if this is the right place.

My kids discovered penny presses last summer and LOVE them. I know WDW has a TON of them. Anyone know what the cost for them is - like the penny and 50 cents or a dollar? Trying to set some money aside just for them to do them this summer.

DD loves these too! I believe the quarter presses are a quarter and a dollar. We just do the pennies. We got her a little book (sold at most of the gift stores, next to the autograph books) for her to put them in. It's almost full though!

Our DD takes cleaned out small pill bottles and puts the change in it. One for the quarters and one for the pennies. The quarters fit perfectly in them. We have a container at home and whenever she gets a clean penny we put it in the container to save for DW. Have fun!

Our DD takes cleaned out small pill bottles and puts the change in it. One for the quarters and one for the pennies. The quarters fit perfectly in them. We have a container at home and whenever she gets a clean penny we put it in the container to save for DW. Have fun!
Our Granddaughter likes the pennies.
I was up late last night sorting out copper pennies from my penny jar and cleaning them.

Another perfect sized container is an empty M&M mini tube. We typically layer 2 quarters and 1 penny together so it is easy to pull them out when the kids want to do one.

DD loves these too! I believe the quarter presses are a quarter and a dollar. We just do the pennies. We got her a little book (sold at most of the gift stores, next to the autograph books) for her to put them in. It's almost full though!

We have resorted to a notebook with inserts that have partitions big enough to fit a pressed penny into each and that notebook is huge! I should comment that we collect them everywhere we go, not just Disney!

We have resorted to a notebook with inserts that have partitions big enough to fit a pressed penny into each and that notebook is huge! I should comment that we collect them everywhere we go, not just Disney!

That's a good idea. I could let her take the small book to the parks to put them in, and then put them in the larger book later.

I have read too that you should use pennies made before 1982 as they will not smear because there is more copper in them. You can also google or search Pinterest to see how to clean them.

I think they were like 8.95 when I bought one last month. Don't hold me to the exact price.

I have read too that you should use pennies made before 1982 as they will not smear because there is more copper in them. You can also google or search Pinterest to see how to clean them.
Pennies made after 1982 are zinc with a very thin plating of copper.
This was done to save money.
They now cost more than a penny to produce.
Next they'll be making them out of plastic.

Yes, pre 1982 pennies were made mostly of copper, and do not show the streaks that some of the newer pennies will show.

As far as cleaning them - last time we went to Disney we sorted through and found a bunch of pre-1982 pennies and I cleaned them up so they were nice and shiny. It wasn't necessarily hard to do, but it did take quite a bit of time.

This time, I just ordered some 1981 uncirculated penny rolls off of ebay. They cost about $4/per roll. Yes, you are spending an extra $3.50 for the pennies - but the time I saved not having to sort and clean the pennies was well worth the extra $7 I spent for 100 pre-1982 pennies that were ready to go. (The pennies are not brilliant like a brand new penny, but they are every bit as shiny as I got them last time and I saved a lot of time and energy.)

We used the mini-M&M containers for the coins - and placed 2 quarters+1penny, 2 quarters+1 penny, stacked until the container was full. Then when we'd find a machine - we had the 51 Cents ready to go. We then used a small Mentos container to hold the "pressed pennies". I even made little labels for each grandchild - with their name on it. Was SO handy throughout the park (I even had one :))

Oooooh. Good to know. I wonder if Canadian pennies will work? We don't use them anymore, but still have some laying around.

We used the mini-M&M containers for the coins - and placed 2 quarters+1penny, 2 quarters+1 penny, stacked until the container was full. Then when we'd find a machine - we had the 51 Cents ready to go. We then used a small Mentos container to hold the "pressed pennies". I even made little labels for each grandchild - with their name on it. Was SO handy throughout the park (I even had one :))

I plan to do that too. I'm all for taking one for the team and eating a container or 3 of mini m&m's. lol.

A fun and super-easy way to clean the pennies is to get Fire sauce packets from Taco bell and put the pennies inside, then just wait a while. It's fun to have the kids to this. The first time somebody showed it to me, he put the penny in as we sat down to eat, then pulled it out as we were finishing it up and wiped it with a napkin. I was never big on hotsauce, but after seeing what that acid can do--wow! I'm NEVER eating that stuff!!!

You could even have them try "fire sauce vs. diablo sauce" and see if one works better than the other... ;)

My kids LOVED the pressed pennies. Most were .51 I believe. Two quarters and a penny. Cheapest souvenir in Disney ;) and we bought the pressed penny book, definitely less than $10

Yes, pre 1982 pennies were made mostly of copper, and do not show the streaks that some of the newer pennies will show.

As far as cleaning them - last time we went to Disney we sorted through and found a bunch of pre-1982 pennies and I cleaned them up so they were nice and shiny. It wasn't necessarily hard to do, but it did take quite a bit of time.

This time, I just ordered some 1981 uncirculated penny rolls off of ebay. They cost about $4/per roll. Yes, you are spending an extra $3.50 for the pennies - but the time I saved not having to sort and clean the pennies was well worth the extra $7 I spent for 100 pre-1982 pennies that were ready to go. (The pennies are not brilliant like a brand new penny, but they are every bit as shiny as I got them last time and I saved a lot of time and energy.)

I didn't know you could do this - Brilliant! I spent so much time last year cleaning those pennies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter