Pedicure question

:sad1:PLEASE let's not have another board go down the tubes because of a disagreement!

I'm sure delaney only meant that you should spend your time focusing on your Disney vacation and not worry about how your toes look, and that nail polish will chip no matter what under hard conditions like being hit against the bottom of a pool.

And TinkerBrie, perhaps jerk was a strong word and maybe you only meant to say that you thought delaney's post was also strongly worded.

I had just wondered if there was some trick to making polish stay. I agree that there are more important things to worry about in the world, but since it's our big anniversary trip (and we're celebrating our birthdays, too), I thought having pretty toes would be nice. I don't want to do constant touch ups and such on vacation!

Sure is! After removing any old polish, use a white block buffer to remove any shine. Use alcohol to remove any buffing dust and to dehydrate the nail plate. OPI make a great product called Bond Aid. It is a pH balancing agent that maximizes bonding of all artificial nail enhancements, including nail lacquer, by adjusting the pH of the natural nail plate. Apply 1 coat. Apply 1 coat of a good base coat. (Sticky by CND is my personal favorite!) Apply 2 thin coats of a good polish (OPI, CND, Essie, Duri are some of the better brands). Apply a good topcoat. (Some of my personal favorites are Sech Vite, Olan Quick and Slick, CND Super Shiney). Apply any lotion or oil AFTER your polish! Have a GREAT anniversary trip!

I'll second what TinkerBrie says about the lotion! Make sure your nails are nice and clean because any oily film on the nail, even what's naturally there, will impede the nail polish. And while this is not really applicable for the pedis but will work for the manis, don't touch your nails to see if they're dry!!!!!!! If you NEED to touch them, touch them to your lip rather than with your fingertip so you don't leave a fingerprint. I also heard that if you put water on your nail and it beads up, the polish is pretty well dry. The last thing I can think of (most of this is personal experience, figured it out long before cosmetology class lol) that if your nail polish is thick (like several coats), and dry, and you put another coat on, it will "rehydrate" the other coats and if you knock your finger against the edge of anything you'll end up with a dent in the polish.

Oops one more thing since I just saw a commercial for Alice in Wonderland. The glittery top coats are just that, top coats. I had OPI Chip Skip on, then a base coat, then 2 coats of OPI Absolutely Alice (which looked great), once I had my hands in water, it came off a kids press on nail.

Especially on my toes, if I have a french pedicure professionally done, it looks good for 2-3 weeks! Even if the white chips or cracks a bit, you simply don't notice it! Shhhh!!

I got my last pro pedi Spring Break week (first week of April) I just took off the polish two days ago (almost 7 weeks!). I do take my own polish to the salon (I always use China Glaze - wonderful colors and strong polish). I do that in case I have a chip I can fix it myself - I also like to paint my own fingernails and that way I can match. I also use a top coat called Seche Vite it costs about $7 or so and I buy it at CVS. It is the best one I have tried. My manicure lasts at least a week with no chips!

The main thing about the pro pedicures is it is something my DD and I do together. I also have horrible dry skin on my heels and nothing I have tried will remove it, but the ladies at the salon always work wonders.

I had thought about getting a pedi on our upcoming trip, but it seems they are not cheap, $65 at the YC/BC salon. I can get one at home for $25 and that includes cute little flowers on my big toes ;)

I agree. I never get a pedicure right before a walking vacation. Your feet need callouses to handle all the chafing from shoes and walking barefoot. Get a professional pedicure 2 to 3 weeks before. Your toes will look pretty and your feet will thank you for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter