ped office

My daughter is in high school but as far as I know elementary schools here don't require proof of immunization. I never had to show it and my daughter is only going into grade 10 this year. We have to fill out a general information form at the beginning of the year but it only asks for contact information.

Elementary schools in Toronto require the yellow immunization cards when registering, but the school will just photocopy them and send them to the Ministry of Health, which will catch up with families (eventually) if shots are not up to date.

No physicals needed for school though.

No, but we dropped the pediatrician and go to a GP for my kids (ages 6, 8, and 10). They're just as good (maybe even better) than the pediatrician, we get same-day appointments whenever we need them, and don't have to sit in "well child" waiting room that's separated from the sick kid waiting room by a half wall.

Our old pediatrician was just as you described, and I simply got tired of it.

We use a GP as well and always have. He's always seen dd the same day when she's been sick including many weekends and holidays. I called about 2 weeks ago for dd's appointment this week. I can't imagine having to do that months ahead of time.

We always have an issue in the years dd needs shots for school because she's one of the youngest in her class and her birthday is right before school starts. Last time was when she needed to be 12 for the shot and that didn't happen until 4 days before school started.

I remember the days we lined up at school for shots but as I've said before I went to school in the Stone Age! :teeth:

BTW....the middle school I sub at is 4th thru 8th.

Normally when we check in for a yearly physical the next years physical is scheduled before you see the ped that day. However once it is closer I often call and easily reschedule since I don't know plans a year out. Last year I ended up dealing with our ped being out sick for a few months then retiring at the end of the year so we did get behind. Suddenly in September my 9th grader came home with a paper from the school nurse saying dd needed an updated physical on file by October. Um, even if we had gone in June as originally scheduled it would have been nice to have been told I needed to give the school an updated physical form. I lucked out when I called and the ped stayed late a few days later to see dd since I really wanted to see her for one last physical. At our peds we get sick visits the same day and they are open nights, weekends, and holidays 365 days a year for sick visits.

Are they calling just to tell you the times? Why can't they leave a message? Or you call back and tell them to call your cell so you're not sitting by the phone? Why couldn't they check their appointments when you called ?

This. Let them just leave a message. Frankly I don't understand why they couldn't book the appointment while you were on the phone with them. And for my kids ped. you can't get an appointment for a physical usualy for at least 10-12 weeks, they only do a few of that type appointment each day. You might get lucky and get a cancellation and get in sooner, but not for multiple kids.

Normally when we check in for a yearly physical the next years physical is scheduled before you see the ped that day. However once it is closer I often call and easily reschedule since I don't know plans a year out. Last year I ended up dealing with our ped being out sick for a few months then retiring at the end of the year so we did get behind. Suddenly in September my 9th grader came home with a paper from the school nurse saying dd needed an updated physical on file by October. Um, even if we had gone in June as originally scheduled it would have been nice to have been told I needed to give the school an updated physical form. I lucked out when I called and the ped stayed late a few days later to see dd since I really wanted to see her for one last physical. At our peds we get sick visits the same day and they are open nights, weekends, and holidays 365 days a year for sick visits.

CVS Minute Clinic is good for this...we used them when we unexpectedly needed a sports physical within two weeks and our Ped. office would only schedule 10 weeks from then.

I got the call this morning all three have an appointment two weeks from today. for me this is the worst part of going back to school is trying to get all of their appointments done before they go back.

I called this morning to make all three kids appointments before school starts, they said they would call back with the times and I have been sitting home all day waiting for them to call back. does anyone else have this problem with their kids doctor.

Yes, I've waited a long time for a Doctor's office to call back. It only really bothers me when it's something stressful. Most of the time, I try to remember that they deal with people in crises all day long. Some of my calls, while important to me, may be lower priority to them. Setting appointments is probably very low priority to them. Why not just call them back?

What I find really surprising about your post though...Waiting around for a return call in 2015. Who still does that? I waited at home all day for a plumber last week but a phone call- not for the last 10 years, at least.

My kids get their physcals near their birthday and other than immunization updates, the school has no clue if they get yearly checkups or not. If it was a requirement to get one every year before school started I certainly would not be waiting till the last minute to do it.

I got the call this morning all three have an appointment two weeks from today. for me this is the worst part of going back to school is trying to get all of their appointments done before they go back.

That's pretty amazing.

Too bad you didn't know about this earlier. If you would have known even back in April or May, you wouldn't be rushed to get the physicals scheduled.

It sounds like you've been frustrated in past years as well. Hopefully you will learn from this year's experience and schedule them earlier next year.

My kids always get their physicals the week after school is out (so early June). I make the appointment about a week ahead of time. I like to get it out of the way and one less thing to worry about during the summer.

My daughter's birthday is in July and once she switched to going once a year for her wellness visits, I didn't realize how hard it is to get an appointment at that time with a few weeks notice! Now her annual well visits are a month after her birthday thanks to the delay that first year and insurance requiring a year in between well visits to be covered. Her ped won't schedule a year out so I just remember to call around MY birthday to get something on the books six months out.

It is a pain but now it is just part of our routine. :)

It seems like you would not have needed to babysit your phone waiting for a return call if you had left yourself more time to get the visits done before school starting. Next year maybe you can save yourself that aggravation.

That would not sit well with me that we would have to do a physical just in case a child may play sports. We always did an annual physical, but I know some parents with crappy insurance that did them every couple of years.

What kind of sports do 5th graders do that they need physicals?

My 5th grader had basketball, baseball, and track, I believe, offered to him.

ETA - Also swimming and I think hockey through a group of schools. I know when I was in school there, it was the same.

Last edited:
We also have wrestling and cheerleading
My 5th grader had basketball, baseball, and track, I believe, offered to him.

That is fantastic! Unfortunately, in our schoold, intramurals only start in 6th grade and are limited. 7th grade is when full intramurals are available. And no cheer or wrestlinv, that starts in high school. But there is a crazy amount of rec to travel sports available to make up for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter