ped office

Besides your one needing shots, what are the appointments for? It's been a long time since my boys were that age, sorry.

I do remember with my first son we could just go to the health department for shots.
my 10 year old needs her physical to start middle school and my seven year old needs just his seven year old check up, my five year old needs her shots and physical to start kind.

If it's for a check-up, we generally have to wait 4-6 weeks. We usually just schedule them a year ahead of time. If they need to be seen because they're sick, we just call between 8 and 9 and one of the 3 doctors will answer the phone and get us in that day or the next if it doesn't seem too urgent to the doctor.

my 10 year old needs her physical to start middle school and my seven year old needs just his seven year old check up, my five year old needs her shots and physical to start kind.
What grade? In NYS you only need a physical when entering K,2,4,7 and 10th grades. If your daughter just turned 10 isn't she entering 5th grade?

What grade? In NYS you only need a physical when entering K,2,4,7 and 10th grades. If your daughter just turned 10 isn't she entering 5th grade?
she is starting middle school and the school is making all the kids have a physical for 5th grade

I can generally get appts within a couple of weeks, but ours is a very large practice- 7 doctors and some nurse practitioners I believe. It has never occurred to me to book their physicals far in advance because we have never needed to. Now my own doctor? Haven't seen her in years because she is overbooked all the time. Go figure!

Our HS offers sports physicals at a reduced rate, generally once a sports season.

I don't remember them ever needing to call us back, except when a kid was sick and the nurse had to check with the doc for something. DH usually takes care of their appts and older son's sports physical; he called last week and got both of them in next week.

5th grade is middle school? Is this a private school? It seems most schools in the area have middle school as 6th-8th.
no it's a public school elementary school is now k-4 middle school is 5-8 and then high school is 9-12. they just switched this a few years ago

no it's a public school elementary school is now k-4 middle school is 5-8 and then high school is 9-12. they just switched this a few years ago
Makes sense. But didn't someone say upthread that NYS requires a physical at K,2,4,7 and 10? How strange that the school is requiring an extra physical at 5th grade when all the students just had one the previous year.

OP - don't you have to start school before the kids go back on the 8th? All our teachers start 2 weeks before the students as they have professional development trainings, various meetings, and they have to get their classrooms ready for the new students?

If I tried to make not just one, but three well visit appointments less than a month from the start of school, the nurses would laugh at me.

Our school starts early this year, Sept 2nd and the teachers have to be back on Sept 1st-

I have not even called for my daughters yearly check up yet, we are still away on a road trip but I usually get it done a week or so after school starts anyway. They don't threaten you with having to see a school dr until about oct or so if you haven't seen your own. I don't think I need to get form filled out this year for school anyway but she needs physical for her working papers plus needs to get the routine yearly blood work done.

No, but we dropped the pediatrician and go to a GP for my kids (ages 6, 8, and 10). They're just as good (maybe even better) than the pediatrician, we get same-day appointments whenever we need them, and don't have to sit in "well child" waiting room that's separated from the sick kid waiting room by a half wall.

Our old pediatrician was just as you described, and I simply got tired of it.

Oh ok, I've never heard of a middle school with 5th graders and it's really odd that they're requiring physicals when it's not state mandated.
our district has been like this for three years now, I don't agree with 10 year old kids being with 13 and 14 year old kids. I think they are doing the physical so that the kids can do after school sports in 5th grade and not have to do a second physical.

Besides your one needing shots, what are the appointments for? It's been a long time since my boys were that age, sorry.

I do remember with my first son we could just go to the health department for shots.
If you have health insurance, you can't get shots at the health department anymore.

our district has been like this for three years now, I don't agree with 10 year old kids being with 13 and 14 year old kids. I think they are doing the physical so that the kids can do after school sports in 5th grade and not have to do a second physical.
You have sports in 5th grade? Wow, it's funny how different things can be in the same state. We don't have sports until 7th grade. There are 6th graders in the middle school but they are technically elementary students so they're not allowed to participate. And even then only the kids that want to participate in a sport need a yearly physical. They don't force all of the 8th graders to have a physical just in case. That's bizarre.

If you have health insurance, you can't get shots at the health department anymore.
We can in our city. My son just got some immunizations he needed for a trip. The ped didn't have the unusual ones like Typhoid, so he sent us to the health department for all of them. We just did this in July. We just had to pay out of pocket and bill insurance ourselves.

That would not sit well with me that we would have to do a physical just in case a child may play sports. We always did an annual physical, but I know some parents with crappy insurance that did them every couple of years.

What kind of sports do 5th graders do that they need physicals?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter