Passport expires within 3 months

Interesting info about how long your passport needs to be valid for different countries.
I think closed loop cruises don't count

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country.html

Since the OP is from Canada, this website should be the one they ought to look at:

http://travel.gc.ca/destinations/united-states
http://travel.gc.ca/destinations/bahamas

With regards to the Bahamas the website states:

Canadians must present a passport to visit the Bahamas, which must be valid for at least three months beyond the date of expected departure from that country. Prior to travelling, ask your transportation company about its requirements related to passport validity, which may be more stringent than the country's entry rules.

Since they are traveling from Canada to the US and then to the Bahamas, both countries requirements are important.

For non-US citizens it all depends on the agreements the countries you are visiting have with your home country. If there is no agreement they will only accept you if your pasport is valid for 6 months after your planned departure from the country. This is because if anything happens to you (like a medical emergency) the country you visit wants to be sure your home country accepts you back in.
With many countries agreements have been made to allow citizens back with passports that expired up to 6 months. Therefore removing the need for the 6 months validity when entering. For Canadian citizens this depends on the agreements between Canada and the countries visited by your cruise.
It is you own responsibility to research these requirements and comply with them.

We were on the Magic at the end of April (and were at Castaway Cay). My son's passport was due to expire on June 15th and we had no issues; it was not even mentioned. We are Canadian as well.

We are planning a January 16' cruise to the Bahamas, we are U.S. Citizens. My son's passport expires February 16' his I plan to renew. However, i'm unsure about my husband's his expires in May 16' do we need to renew his as well?
TIA

We are planning a January 16' cruise to the Bahamas, we are U.S. Citizens. My son's passport expires February 16' his I plan to renew. However, i'm unsure about my husband's his expires in May 16' do we need to renew his as well?
TIA

As U.S. citizens cruising to the Bahamas, as long as the passport is not expired it will be accepted. The additional time requirement before expiration is for some non-U.S. people, and is based on their country of origin and agreements with the destination. As long as your son's Passport doesn't expire before the end of the cruise, both he and your husband are fine without renewing.

Enjoy your cruise!

As U.S. citizens cruising to the Bahamas, as long as the passport is not expired it will be accepted. The additional time requirement before expiration is for some non-U.S. people, and is based on their country of origin and agreements with the destination. As long as your son's Passport doesn't expire before the end of the cruise, both he and your husband are fine without renewing.

Enjoy your cruise!
Thank you very much! That's a $240 savings!

I'm still pretty conflicted, most people are saying we will be fine. (Travel end of Dec, expiry first of March) but he website does say 3 months. I do t know if I really want to take the chance.. But over 500 to remnew for a family of 5. I can do without right now too, lol

I'm still pretty conflicted, most people are saying we will be fine. (Travel end of Dec, expiry first of March) but he website does say 3 months.

Sorry, my response was to CluelessDisFan. Cruise-n-2015, you are from Canada, so that changes the response. Please be careful reading responses on this thread or others about passports because the rules vary by YOUR home country. It does appear that Canadian citizens must have a passport with at least 3 months from expiration for travel to the Bahamas. U.S. residents do not have that same requirement - hence your confusion. Even though the cruise departs from a U.S. port, regulations are based on the agreements between the host country (in this case the Bahamas) with the country issuing your passport (Canada).

Enjoy your cruise!

:) I'm not confused, I am the OP have read everyone's responses pertaining to their situations and am just still humming and haaa'ing over what to do! $500 is a lot of money but the grander scheme a missed cruise is more :).
There I think I answered my own question, lol

Today on the phone I was assured we would have no issues with our canadian passports on our cruise.
We leave in dec and our passports expire March 1 / 16.
I'm still nervouse because of all the conflicting info.

Is there any way you can contact the travel authorities in person, rather than looking at a website that isn't dynamic and only has the basics? Perhaps there's info for those cruising that hasn't quite made it to a Google search yet. Your passport agency, a Bahamas embassy, etc?

I'm Canadian as well! Here is the information from the Bahamian High Commission website:

A Canadian citizen does not require a visa to visit The Bahamas and can remain there for a maximum period of 8 months. The individual however, must have the following documents:

• A Canadian passport, with an expiry date that is NOT less than 3 months, after leaving The Bahamas (for direct travel) and NOT less than 6 months (if transiting through other countries such as the U.S.)
  • A return ticket

So it looks like the 6 months rule is the applicable one when it comes to a cruise as you are transiting through.

Sorry OP about your dilemma ours is similar, other than the Canadian part. Just keep researching. I was looking up the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, and that indicates that U.S. Minors under 16 only need official birth certificates to travel to the Bahamas. I'm thinking of taking a trip to Canada just to see if this works (we're only 40 minutes from the boarder). I've thought we've needed passports for the last 10 years or so to travel to Canada.

Canadian here as well, cruising to the Bahamas on DCL March 16/16. My passport expires Sept 8/16 so I am 8 days short. Guess I will renew passport early!

Sorry OP about your dilemma ours is similar, other than the Canadian part. Just keep researching. I was looking up the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, and that indicates that U.S. Minors under 16 only need official birth certificates to travel to the Bahamas. I'm thinking of taking a trip to Canada just to see if this works (we're only 40 minutes from the boarder). I've thought we've needed passports for the last 10 years or so to travel to Canada.

For a cruise, ANY passenger who is a U.S. citizen may cruise with just a birth certificate (and photo ID for those 16+). That's not just minors under age 16.

As to visiting Canada -- technically I think the children are allowed with just a birth certificate but the adults will need a passport book or passport card. However, you might get a bit of a hassle if the kids just have BC's. Unfortunately it depends on the border patrol agent. We live near the border, and from experience I can it's just easier to have a passport.

Enjoy your cruise!

I'm a Canadian. Just renew it. I just did a couple of months ago and it only took 2 and half weeks. If you want it within a week, you can pay the extra fee of $50 ( I think).

I'm Canadian as well! Here is the information from the Bahamian High Commission website:

A Canadian citizen does not require a visa to visit The Bahamas and can remain there for a maximum period of 8 months. The individual however, must have the following documents:

• A Canadian passport, with an expiry date that is NOT less than 3 months, after leaving The Bahamas (for direct travel) and NOT less than 6 months (if transiting through other countries such as the U.S.)
  • A return ticket

So it looks like the 6 months rule is the applicable one when it comes to a cruise as you are transiting through.

The reason I suggested *calling* is because this info is still not specific to *cruising*. And I wonder if there's something for cruising that isn't online.

You don't even HAVE to have a passport on a closed loop cruise like the OP is talking about so it really doesn't matter if they expire in 3 months. A BC will be fine for US citizens.

For U.S. citizens only, closed loop cruises (cruises that depart and return to the same US port) do not require a passport. You can use a birth certificate and a valid picture ID like a driver's license. That being said, it is always safer to have a passport while traveling outside of the US just in case of an emergency and you need to fly home from a non-US location.

I have heard more opinions, one way or the other on this matter. Frankly, My US passport would have been just under 6 months by our next cruise in November. I just renewed it........now nothing to wonder or worry about!

AKK

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter