Paradise and Magic..All Rolled into One Vacation! UD3/28 A Top 10 Wrap Up

I'm here, I'm here, I'm here for the love of all things good, I'm here! Sorry it took so long, things went from chaotic to down-right unfair in our lives!

First off, I checked my mail the other day and there was a gorgeous post card from the Bahamas!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much for sending it Missy! The kids got a kick out of it!

Second, I can't believe the issues with leaving....holy moly! I would have needed about 50 xanax to keep me out of a panic attack! That is so cool about the lady splitting the van with you guys. It was a much better decision than trying to stop at MCO! I can't wait to read more!

Im thinking a trip to Buffalo is in the cards for the summer! Maybe we can do lunch!

Hi there! I'm so glad you got the postcard...they took forever to get here! I was beginning to think they had gotten lost in the mail...we didn't get the one we sent the boys till Saturday.

Yeah...it was pretty stressful, but Jeff did a great job keeping a cool head. :)

Do you have any idea when you might be coming to Buffalo??

Oh Man...Missy that is a nail bitter...crazy :scared:

so glad you got on a plane and are on your way...whew! and so nice of you to do the drive w/ the Grandmother...what a good Diser ;)

please no more Drama!

J~

Things smooth out from here....promise!! ;)

HI :yay: How did I miss this TR??!! What a wonderful get away for you and your hubby. Looking forward to reading all about your trip..even though it looks like a rough start ;) Can't wait to read more popcorn::

OH and join my Christmas PTR if you would like :)
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2468950

Hi and welcome! Thanks for joining in! My hubby and I really needed this vacation....and it does get better after this rough start!

Headed over to check out your PTR!

Hi there! I'm so glad you got the postcard...they took forever to get here! I was beginning to think they had gotten lost in the mail...we didn't get the one we sent the boys till Saturday.

Yeah...it was pretty stressful, but Jeff did a great job keeping a cool head. :)

Do you have any idea when you might be coming to Buffalo??

Not sure exactly when I might make it up that way yet. With Disney being cancelled it opens me up a little more. DH has only alloted me 2 trips this year and one was to WDW! I am thinking July though. We usually come up twice a year.

Finally! :thumbsup2 We are in the air and on our way to Tampa. According to the pilot, we are scheduled to arrive on time and the weather in Tampa is gorgeous!

Jeff and I spend the flight playing games on our iPods or listening to music and, just as promised, we land in Tampa right on time at 10:40! As we get off the plane, we are watching for our new friends. Jeff heads to the bathroom, while I wait at the gate for Joyce and her granddaughters to exit the plane. The one girl recognizes me right away and is quickly joined by her sister and grandma. Jeff rejoins our little group and we head off to find baggage claim and ground transportation. Joyce and her granddaughters have not checked any luggage (wow! :worship:) but Jeff and I need to fetch our bags before heading to the rental car counters. We all know that we are under a bit of a time crunch at this point so we're keeping our fingers crossed that we can get our bags quickly. As luck would have it, our bags are FIRST off the plane! Moving them at the last minute paid off for us! We grab them and head to the Thrifty car counter. So far so good..... :)

And our good fortune continues! The man at the rental car counter is quick and efficient and within no time we are all piling into our mini van to head to Port Canaveral. Joyce and her granddaughters settle into the back, Jeff loads all the bags, I jump into the passenger seat and off we go!! We made it through the Tampa airport in record time!

As luck would have it, Jeff packed our GPS in his carry-on so we grabbed it and I programmed the address for the port in as our destination. The very best thing about a GPS, in my opinion, is that it gives you an estimated arrival time. In this case, that was a big plus! The GPS, who we affectionately call Denise, predicts that we will be arriving in Port Canaveral at 1:39 pm. Although we still had a drive and anything could happen, we all were able to breathe a collective sigh of relief. It looked like the Monarch of the Seas would not sail without us! :goodvibes

Green Cat in our minivan console headed to Port Canaveral!
BahamasCruiseandDisney5.jpg

We never expected to be HERE!
BahamasCruiseandDisney4.jpg

Now you might think that riding in the enclosed space of a mini-van for two hours with complete strangers would be awkward and filled with uncomfortable silences. WRONG! We ended up finding a lot to talk about. The girls talked about what they were looking forward to on their first cruise...they were so cute! They were 12 and 9 and reminded me a lot of my own boys. Joyce was taking the girls on the cruise and then staying in Orlando and meeting her other daughter and her kids afterward. They were going to be staying at POR and going to WDW....so of course we had a ton to talk about on that topic! Jeff and Joyce talked about their jobs, we talked about where we would like to travel, the girls talked about school and how excited they were to be on a special vacation with Grandma. It was a very nice trip. When we did encounter silences, Jeff and I would have a conversation or Joyce and the girls would talk to each other. All the while, we continued to check Denise for our arrival time which was hovering around 1:30. At one point on the drive we saw this.....

BahamasCruiseandDisney6.jpg

YIKES! :scared1: The entire car was engulfed in flames. That is NEVER good.

As we got closer to Orlando I spotted this!
BahamasCruiseandDisney7.jpg

My first “hidden Mickey” sighting! We are so close to the Magic! I can almost feel it! For the first time all day, I am relaxed and SO excited to be on vacation! :banana:

As we made our way through Orlando, we passed Downtown Disney and lots of signs for my Happy Place. We also noticed that we were going to pass right by MCO.

BahamasCruiseandDisney8.jpg

Since we had made good time and had a little breathing room, we talked to Joyce about picking up her rental car at the airport. Between Rochester and Tampa, we realized that she had rented the car in MCO and was going to keep it parked at Port Canaveral for the week before using it again to get the girls back to the airport after the cruise. Jeff and I agreed to take her back to MCO on our way to Orlando since now she had no transportation to do so. We were planning to head that way after the ship docked anyway, so no big deal. BUT....since we had some time, we decided that we would drop her and the girls at MCO and they could get the car. She had already pre-paid so was out the money anyway, so this way she and the girls could have their own transportation to the airport and be able to do some sightseeing in Orlando before catching flights out later in the day.

MCO was fairly easy to navigate, so we found the arrival area quickly and said good-bye to Joyce and the girls. She insisted on paying us for the upgrade since we would have rented a smaller car had it not been for them. We said good-bye and planned to meet up once we got on the ship to be sure everyone arrived safely. I was a little nervous, only because they still needed to get their car and it was still about 45 minutes to the Port. I knew I would feel guilty if, for some reason, they did not make the ship and we did. But after good-byes and exchanging cell numbers, Jeff and I were back on the road.

A few of our “unexpected road trip” pictures...

Jeff in the minivan
BahamasCruiseandDisney9.jpg

We passed over this very cool waterway. So pretty!
BahamasCruiseandDisney10.jpg

Headed into Cape Canaveral we saw this ahead of us. Doesn't it look like the road just drops you off to nowhere?!
BahamasCruiseandDisney11.jpg

This is our first glimpse of the Port and the ships. If you've never seen one, the sheer size of these ships is AMAZING!
BahamasCruiseandDisney12.jpg

Woo-Hoo! :woohoo: What a relief to see this sign!
BahamasCruiseandDisney13.jpg

Like a good DISer, I pulled out my trip binder at this point to be sure we were headed to the right cruise terminal. Once we had our bearings we followed the signs to the terminal where our Royal Caribbean ship would depart. OH LOOK! There she is! The Monarch of the Seas...our floating home for the next 5 days!
BahamasCruiseandDisney14.jpg

That last picture was taken at 1:26pm. We entered the parking area and found a parking attendant to ask about where to return our rental car. We knew that the rental car offices were not AT the port, but a few miles away in Cape Canaveral. The nice man gave us directions and told us he'd see us in a few! We headed back to the road and took the short 2 mile drive into the little city. We also had to stop and get gas so we wouldn't be charged an arm and a leg by the rental company and I desperately needed to find a little girl's room.

With all that business taken care of, we found the Thrifty office and made short work of returning our minivan. Unfortunately we had just missed the shuttle to the Port. UGH!! It would be about 20 minutes before it returned. Now I'm stressing a little again! We NEED to be on the ship by 3 and it's 1:55....20 minutes puts us at 2:15. We are truly cutting it close! :scared:

Green Cat needed a little liquid refreshment while we waited!
BahamasCruiseandDisney15.jpg

At long last, the shuttle returned, we loaded up our bags and made the LAST leg of our journey to get on the ship. YAY....she hasn't left without us!
BahamasCruiseandDisney16.jpg

We tipped the driver, grabbed our bags and headed into the terminal to check in and board. The advantage to arriving so close to the wire is that there is NO LINE! I had heard reports of long lines to check in and board, but not at 2:20! LOL! :rotfl: The nice Royal Caribbean representative quickly checked our travel documents, issued us our SeaPasses (essentially the only thing we would need for the next 5 days!), and gave us a map directing us to our stateroom and the open buffet.

Security is pretty tight on a cruise ship. As we crossed from land onto the ship, we handed over our SeaPasses and our photos were taken. The pic never appeared on the card itself, but every time we got on or off the ship from here on out, they checked the machine to be sure the pass and the photos matched. We weren't allowed to take pics, so I don't have any pictures of us boarding the ship, but believe me....we were so happy to be there! :goodvibes

As we headed in, on of the first of MANY pictures of us were taken by the ship's photographers. The first order of business for us was to EAT! Our plan had been to eat breakfast in Atlanta...and you all know how that worked out for us. :rolleyes1 So.....we had been up since 4:00 am and had nothing in our bellies but the little graham cracker-type cookie we got on the plane. The buffet was only open until 3:15 and we did not want to miss out on lunch so we made our way straight to the elevator to take us to Deck 11 and the waiting Windjammer Cafe. Needless to say we got lost once or twice....this ship is the smallest in the Royal Caribbean fleet, but it is still enormous! It would take us the better part of our cruise to find our way around confidently!

The buffet area was PACKED! Everyone was milling around in the common areas trying to get lunch, etc and there were no seats to be had. Jeff was beginning to get stressed at this point...we had our carryon bags so we were trying to make our way through the crowded buffet area with those and we were hungry, tired, and a little cranky! Finally, we found two seats and began to fill our empty tummies. The buffet had a TON of choices from burgers to fish to salad and fruit. There were lots of different pastries, sandwich meats, soups, etc. If we hadn't been so stressed, we probably would have enjoyed the lunch, but as it was we just wanted to eat and then go find our room.

With our hunger finally satisfied we set off to find stateroom number 3106. We had chosen our room carefully to be in the best place for me not to get seasick. Speaking of that...I had begun taking my Bonine the night before and was also wearing my handy-dandy SeaBands. I was taking NO chances!

We finally found our room and here's how Jeff celebrated.
BahamasCruiseandDisney14-1.jpg

Up next.....BON VOYAGE!!

So glad to read that the road trip with perfect strangers wasn't uncomfortable. Sounds like ya'll made some good friends on the drive.

:eek: for the vehicle engulfed in flames! Scary!

I would have been stressing out too trying to get to the ship on time. I would much rather be there early than late.

Too bad you couldn't take pictures while boarding the boat. I would have loved to see them. I know that you were ready to get some food in your tummies and get to your room. That much stress would have pooped me out.:rotfl:

I have never been so happy for someone I have never met to be at their destination. Traveling can be so stressful.

I would have kissed the ground upon getting on the ship after your day!!!:worship:

I know that this trip is going to be great from here on out.:wizard:

Hi Missy!

Im so glad that you got checked in pretty quick. That is so cool. Now that you posted that there will be in influx of people getting there by the skin of their teeth!!!!! Jeff looks so relaxed laying in that bed finally (Hi Jeff!). Hurry and write more!!!!!!!

I'm coming out of lurkerville...I have to know if you got seasick at all on the trip. That is what I am most afraid of. I get airsick on planes if I sit in the back or read anywhere on the plane.

So glad to read that the road trip with perfect strangers wasn't uncomfortable. Sounds like ya'll made some good friends on the drive.

:eek: for the vehicle engulfed in flames! Scary!

I would have been stressing out too trying to get to the ship on time. I would much rather be there early than late.

Too bad you couldn't take pictures while boarding the boat. I would have loved to see them. I know that you were ready to get some food in your tummies and get to your room. That much stress would have pooped me out.:rotfl:

Hi Lisa. That car fire really was scary...I've never seen anything quite like that.

I was shooting for being at the ship early...had everything gone according to plan we should have arrived no later than 1:00. Oh well! :confused3

There was one place where we weren't allowed to take pictures and it was just as we boarded the boat at the security checkpoint. I guess I could have taken them earlier, but honestly, I was just focused on getting there and getting settled! Plenty of ship pics to come!

I have never been so happy for someone I have never met to be at their destination. Traveling can be so stressful.

I would have kissed the ground upon getting on the ship after your day!!!:worship:

I know that this trip is going to be great from here on out.:wizard:

Believe me...we were about at the "kissing the ground" stage! ;)

Hi Missy!

Im so glad that you got checked in pretty quick. That is so cool. Now that you posted that there will be in influx of people getting there by the skin of their teeth!!!!! Jeff looks so relaxed laying in that bed finally (Hi Jeff!). Hurry and write more!!!!!!!

LOL! NO line is not worth all that stress! It was nice to be able to finally kick back and relax!

I'm coming out of lurkerville...I have to know if you got seasick at all on the trip. That is what I am most afraid of. I get airsick on planes if I sit in the back or read anywhere on the plane.

Hi and thank your for DE-lurking! :goodvibes The seasick factor was what kept me from cruising up until this point. I know how you feel! I don't usually have trouble on planes, but I can't read in the car and I don't do well in the back seat. Even in the front seat, some roads do me in! Small boats, like fishing boats or whale watch boats, also make me very sick. I can't do spinning rides or simulators either.

Great update! mom and dad normally travel Carnival and they do not open the buffet until after sailing so I was a bit surprised to hear that you were able to grab a bite...but sounds like poor Jeff needed it...after all the stress of the morning and no food in the bellies I can see we would have been having meltdowns...

that was wonderful that you guys had so much in common with your travel mates...
:wave2:

Yay for arriving in Tampa!:yay: I'm glad things finally started going more smoothly for you Missy!! Especially after such a rocky start!:goodvibes

That's great that you found so much to talk about with your travel companions! It sounds like it was a very nice ride!

I'm so happy that you made it to your destination and with some time to spare. After all you guys went through....you deserve a little rest and relaxation!:goodvibes

The ship looks amazing so far! I can't wait to see more pictures!!

Wow - that is one long travel day! Yikes! I am so glad you arrived on time and missed the worst of check-in. I can't believe you went that long without eating. I would have been beyond irritable.

I hope the grandma and her girls made it to the port on time. I am really looking forward to hearing about your cruise.

Great update! mom and dad normally travel Carnival and they do not open the buffet until after sailing so I was a bit surprised to hear that you were able to grab a bite...but sounds like poor Jeff needed it...after all the stress of the morning and no food in the bellies I can see we would have been having meltdowns...

that was wonderful that you guys had so much in common with your travel mates...
:wave2:

I'm so glad the buffet was open! We knew we had late seating for dinner, so if we missed lunch we would be mighty hungry by 8:30! Not that there was ever a lack of availability of food on the ship..:rolleyes1

Yay for arriving in Tampa!:yay: I'm glad things finally started going more smoothly for you Missy!! Especially after such a rocky start!:goodvibes

That's great that you found so much to talk about with your travel companions! It sounds like it was a very nice ride!

I'm so happy that you made it to your destination and with some time to spare. After all you guys went through....you deserve a little rest and relaxation!:goodvibes

The ship looks amazing so far! I can't wait to see more pictures!!

Thanks Angie...I'm glad things smoothed out too! It was quite a day!

Wow - that is one long travel day! Yikes! I am so glad you arrived on time and missed the worst of check-in. I can't believe you went that long without eating. I would have been beyond irritable.

I hope the grandma and her girls made it to the port on time. I am really looking forward to hearing about your cruise.

A few months ago I may have had a major meltdown from not eating all day. Since January, I have really been getting my eating under control and have lost 30 pounds...so food was less of an issue for me than it may have been! Not that I wasn't hungry, mind you! ;) That buffet was certainly a sight for sore eyes...or empty bellies!

Now I can breathe a sigh of relief that you made it aboard the ship! :woohoo: Now I'm sitting on pins and needles hoping Joyce & her granddaughters made it in time too!

It is so stressful trying to get to your destination on the airline's schedule, esp on cruise departure day. I have only been on one cruise back in October 2011 and arrived the day before to stay at a Days Inn which was supposed to be near the airport. I ended up paying $30 for a cab ride to a different Days Inn which had bars on the windows and not in a very good area. I was alone (my cousin was going to join me but she got scared with 9/11 that had just happened and didn't come along). I had fun aboard the Grand Princess and met some people but still was a little scary.

Loved the pic of your hubby "enjoying" your stateroom ;)

Now I can breathe a sigh of relief that you made it aboard the ship! :woohoo: Now I'm sitting on pins and needles hoping Joyce & her granddaughters made it in time too!

It is so stressful trying to get to your destination on the airline's schedule, esp on cruise departure day. I have only been on one cruise back in October 2011 and arrived the day before to stay at a Days Inn which was supposed to be near the airport. I ended up paying $30 for a cab ride to a different Days Inn which had bars on the windows and not in a very good area. I was alone (my cousin was going to join me but she got scared with 9/11 that had just happened and didn't come along). I had fun aboard the Grand Princess and met some people but still was a little scary.

Loved the pic of your hubby "enjoying" your stateroom ;)

I'll never make the mistake of traveling on cruise departure day again. It was just way too stressful. Sorry about your scary hotel experience....:scared1: That wasn't a great way to start a trip either!

Missy!!! Oh my goodness....4 pages in already!

First off, those first pictures you posted are so great - you look very happy and relaxed (and beautiful)! :goodvibes

That travel story has my stomach in knots! Wow! I would have totally freaked out and Shawn would not have been a ray of sunshine, if you know what I mean! :headache: I hate to fly, so anything that happens to make my flight change, delay, cancel, etc...totally makes my nerves go haywire! Shawn is not much about relaxing during the "travel" portion of any trip - only once we get to where we are going, so the airport situation would have just been awful for us! You two, on the other hand, sound like you balanced eachother out fairly well! Jeff was calm while you were worried, and vice-versa!

I'm so happy you are on the ship finally. Now get to the good stuff! :woohoo::woohoo:

Sara

Missy!!! Oh my goodness....4 pages in already!

First off, those first pictures you posted are so great - you look very happy and relaxed (and beautiful)! :goodvibes

That travel story has my stomach in knots! Wow! I would have totally freaked out and Shawn would not have been a ray of sunshine, if you know what I mean! :headache: I hate to fly, so anything that happens to make my flight change, delay, cancel, etc...totally makes my nerves go haywire! Shawn is not much about relaxing during the "travel" portion of any trip - only once we get to where we are going, so the airport situation would have just been awful for us! You two, on the other hand, sound like you balanced eachother out fairly well! Jeff was calm while you were worried, and vice-versa!

I'm so happy you are on the ship finally. Now get to the good stuff! :woohoo::woohoo:

Sara

Yay!!! Sara's here!!

I was so glad that Jeff was able to keep his wits about him when I wasn't. You know how much planning goes into a trip, and all I could think was that it was all gong down the drain! :sad2: Thankfully it all worked out! :thumbsup2

After a very stressful trip from Rochester to the beautiful Monarch of the Seas, Jeff and I finally found our stateroom and were able to begin to relax. We made it to the ship and we were on our way to the beautiful islands of the Bahamas! (Oh....and before I forget....we DID see Joyce and her granddaughters shortly after we boarded the ship. We ran into them at the buffet and they arrived safe, sound, and on time! ) We took a few short minutes to drop our carry-on bags in our room, freshen up a bit from the travel, and then we set off to explore the ship a bit before heading to our lifeboat station for Muster Drill.

All ships must conduct a lifeboat drill before heading out to sea. Each passenger was assigned a lifeboat station which was clearly marked on our SeaPass card. Just for reference, here is what our cards looked like.

IMG_4681.jpg

Essentially, this was the only form of currency needed on the ship. For every purchase, whether it was alcohol, a toothbrush, or a postcard, they scanned your SeaPass card. Pretty convenient! Although, unless you are diligent, you can run up QUITE a bill!

Anyway....back to the lifeboat drill. We all had assigned stations and ours was station #11. On Deck 7, there were labeled areas for each station. Everyone on the ship was to assemble at their designated lifeboat station to be counted and to hear instructions about what to do in the unlikely event of an emergency. They sounded the ship's bells and horns to demonstrate what to listen for in that event. There were crew members at each station checking off passengers as we assembled. They called off the stateroom numbers of any missing passengers to be sure we were all accounted for. After about 20 minutes, we were given the “all clear” by the captain and the drill was over. I'm sure there were people who were bored by the whole thing, but as a first-time cruiser I found it all pretty interesting!

At this point it was just after 4:00 and we were set to depart the port at 4:30. There was a big “sail-away” party on the pool deck and Jeff and I did not want to miss that. We also wanted to be sure we got a deck chair by the rail so we could watch as we headed out to sea, so we made our way up to Deck 11 to secure our spot. (Kind of like staking out a spot for the afternoon parade!)

We hadn't had time to change into our bathing suits, which we would later regret, so we just relaxed on a deck chair and enjoyed people watching and taking it all in! This whole experience was brand new to us and we were soaking it up! We finally took a few pics while we waited for the ship to sail.

This is a picture looking out over the pool deck. The little building with the roof in the middle is the hot tub area. There were 2 hot tubs. There were also 2 pools. The one you can see in the front of this picture had not been filled with water yet. Did you know the pools on a ship are filled with salt water?? I didn't, but I do now!
BahamasCruiseandDisney17.jpg

Jeff and I at the rail, finally able to relax! That is the port terminal in the background.
BahamasCruiseandDisney18.jpg

BahamasCruiseandDisney19.jpg

The beautiful view from the ship while in port.

BahamasCruiseandDisney20.jpg

Yay! We're finally on VACATION!!
BahamasCruiseandDisney21.jpg

BahamasCruiseandDisney22.jpg

I deserve a cocktail, don't you think??
BahamasCruiseandDisney23.jpg

LOL! Whenever you are on the pool deck there are bar waiters milling around asking if you'd like anything from the bar. They asked Jeff and he ordered a delicious Pina Colada for me and a Bud Light for himself. The waiter says, “how many Bud Lights do you want....1 or 4 in a bucket?” Now come on.....is that a trick question?? After the day we had, 4 in a bucket, please!

A rare picture of us together on this trip....most people were very nice and either offered to take our picture or were happy to do so when we asked. Don't we look relaxed and happy? That could be the bucket-o-beers....but I really think it's relief and lack-o-stress!

BahamasCruiseandDisney24.jpg

This is what my hair looked like most of the time! I finally just stopped fussing with it!
BahamasCruiseandDisney25.jpg

Bon Voyage! We're off! As we sat on the deck, we could feel the ship's engines start up. Right on time, we made our way out of port and out to sea! On deck there was music, dancing, and general HOOPLA! So exciting!

Say goodbye to Port Canaveral!
BahamasCruiseandDisney26.jpg

As we were departing, Jeff and I stood up by the rail to watch. It was only then, with the wind whipping, that Jeff realized how high up we were! He was not a fan! The pool deck is on Deck 11, so the water is a long way down. He's holding on to the rail tightly in this picture!

BahamasCruiseandDisney27.jpg

A few pictures of the ship itself...
BahamasCruiseandDisney28.jpg

BahamasCruiseandDisney29.jpg

Waving good-bye to the dock workers as we make our way out of port.
BahamasCruiseandDisney30.jpg

All along the way, people at the establishments lining the channel were waving. There was lots of hooting and hollering....it really was so exciting!
This is Cocoa Beach...the last view we have of land before hitting the open ocean. It was breathtakingly beautiful and I couldn't help but take lots of pictures!

BahamasCruiseandDisney32.jpg

BahamasCruiseandDisney33.jpg

BahamasCruiseandDisney34.jpg

Land gets smaller and smaller....
BahamasCruiseandDisney35.jpg

BahamasCruiseandDisney36.jpg

Ahhh....now THIS is the life!
BahamasCruiseandDisney37.jpg

I had a fascination with “vacation feet” pics this trip...here's the first!
BahamasCruiseandDisney38.jpg

Pictures just can't capture how beautiful this was. The sun reflecting off the water was amazing!
BahamasCruiseandDisney39.jpg

We went up one more deck to the Observation Deck (deck 12).
BahamasCruiseandDisney40.jpg

Hang on Baby!
BahamasCruiseandDisney41.jpg

Continued in Next Post.......

Once we had made it to open ocean and had our cocktails....we decided to head back down to our stateroom to see if our luggage had arrived. Jeff knows that I really like to unpack and get settled in, so that was next on the agenda.

Indeed our suitcases were waiting inside our stateroom for us! YAY! We also took a minute to investigate our room...now mind you that didn't take long. It was SMALL! The queen size bed took up most of the space....there was a small bedside shelf, a small round table at the corner of the end of the bed, a desk area along the one wall, a large closet, and a teeny-tiny bathroom. I believe it was 122 sq. ft. Small, but livable....especially since we didn't plan to hang out there anyway. The best part of the room was this....

BahamasCruiseandDisney43-1.jpg

We had opted for an oceanview room, and on Deck 3, that meant a porthole! See how close we are to the water? I LOVED looking out and watching the water go by....so relaxing! Apparently, so did Green Cat.....

BahamasCruiseandDisney44.jpg

Oh...and Jeff felt that the choice of cover models for our in-room reading material was a bit ironic!
BahamasCruiseandDisney47.jpg

Once I had unpacked our bags and got us all settled in, it was time to go exploring! The ship is HUGE and we had only seen the pool deck, our lifeboat station, and the buffet!

This is a picture of the Atrium...what would be equivalent to a resort's lobby. This is looking down into it from the floor above.

BahamasCruiseandDisney45.jpg

Funny....we caught Joyce taking a picture of her granddaughters!
BahamasCruiseandDisney46.jpg

After a bit, we began to try to find our way back to our stateroom to get ready for our first dinner in the Main Dining Room. We had chosen the late dinner seating at 8:30. We wanted to get showers, get changed, and make it back out on deck so we could catch the sunset before dinner. Each day, the captain would come on the loudspeaker and give a forecast and let us know what time sunrise and sunset would be. I didn't want to miss our first sunset at sea!

After getting cleaned up and dressed, we went out on Deck 7...the first deck on which you can get outside and found a spot to watch the “show”! We took a few pics of us....then settled in to enjoy God's night-time spectacular! I won't bore you with any writing here......just enjoy the pictures!

BahamasCruiseandDisney52.jpg

BahamasCruiseandDisney51.jpg

BahamasCruiseandDisney50.jpg

BahamasCruiseandDisney48.jpg

BahamasCruiseandDisney49.jpg

BahamasCruiseandDisney54.jpg

BahamasCruiseandDisney55.jpg

BahamasCruiseandDisney56.jpg

BahamasCruiseandDisney57.jpg

BahamasCruiseandDisney58.jpg

Absolutely breathtaking.

A cool picture of the wake at the back of the ship.
BahamasCruiseandDisney53.jpg

After the sunset, we made our way to Claude's Dining room on Deck 4 for our first dinner. I had requested a table for 6. I wanted to meet people and figured this way we would have 2 other couples at our table. Here I am at our table....we were first to get there.

BahamasCruiseandDisney60.jpg

It was so beautiful with all the white linens and glassware. We were soon joined by our tablemates. We met J and K first. They were sisters from Atlanta and veteran cruisers. They were on board to celebrate K's 49th birthday. Then we met G and T, a couple from Lexington, KY on board to celebrate their 25th anniversary. Like us, they were first-timers. This was a great mix, because J and K could share all their tricks and tips with us newbies!

We hadn't been sitting long before we met our waiter, Francisco. The staff on a cruise ship is very international, and Francisco was from India. Our assistant waiter was Herbert and he was from Peru. They were so attentive...they even placed our napkins on our laps and opened our menus for us! Fancy! The food selections were amazing! I don't know that I am going to remember EVERYHING, but I do know the menu changed each night. We always had selection of 3-4 appetizers, entrees, and desserts to choose from. I don't remember what my appetizer was that first night, but I know I got Tiger Shrimp Scampi as my main dish. Jeff got leg of lamb. I believe I ordered a raspberry cheesecake for dessert. I apologize for not having the details on the food, but I didn't take notes on this trip...I just tried to enjoy each moment! When I remember what I ate, I promise I'll share it! I do know that everything was DELICIOUS! And because all of the food is included, we often ordered more than one appetizer or dessert so we could try multiple things!

We completely enjoyed dinner with our tablemates! They were fun an friendly and we all hit it off right away. Although there was plenty to do after dinner on the ship, Jeff and I were exhausted and decided to make it an early night. We went to bed shortly after dinner, which was about 10:30. It was going to be a full day the next day....we were headed to the beautiful island of CoCo Cay to snorkel and soak up the beach!

You are oh so definitely selling me on the idea of taking a cruise. DH and I keep going back and forth about it b/c of my motion sickness. Like you I can't do the back seat of cars or spinny/simulator rides. What are your tips for where to stay on the ship (as far as staterooms)? I've heard as high up as possible and in the middle. But you were on deck 4, so I'm wondering if what I was told was incorrect???

You are oh so definitely selling me on the idea of taking a cruise. DH and I keep going back and forth about it b/c of my motion sickness. Like you I can't do the back seat of cars or spinny/simulator rides. What are your tips for where to stay on the ship (as far as staterooms)? I've heard as high up as possible and in the middle. But you were on deck 4, so I'm wondering if what I was told was incorrect???

I did a ton of research before booking and this is what I found. The LOWER you are in the ship the less motion you feel. This is kind of like being at the top of a tall building...the higher up you are, the more motion you feel. So, lower decks are better. You are right about being in the middle of the ship. We were about as close to center as you could get. Although we had calm seas and I'm sure that played a part, I never felt the motion of the boat while we were on board. The only time I could tell we were moving in our stateroom was when I looked out the porthole.

Now, I've heard conflicting reports about window or no window. If you get claustrophobic at all I would not recommend an inside room. Looking out at the water did not bother me, but my table mate T said she couldn't look out her porthole without getting nauseous. I liked being able to see the horizon and see where we were each morning and I liked the sun coming in the porthole. They also say if you do start to get sick, to head out on deck and walk. The normal reaction is to retreat to your room and lie down, but I hear this makes it worse.

I was really nervous about the seasickness, but it really was a non-issue. I'd recommend a short cruise to start...that's what we did so that if it was bad, it at least was short. Also, I took all the precautions. I wore SeaBands and also took Bonine every morning and every evening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter