Panama Canal Eastbound Sept. 14, 2013--it'll be WONDER-ful

We just moved to Temperance about two months ago. We bought a home, gutted it and took six months to rehab it. It is on an acre. We were in Toledo and missed living in the country. My brother and wife are HUGE Mountaineers fans. My sister-in-law graduated from there. We are going to be super busy with guests and I am working or we would have you stop, take a potty break and maybe a drink, etc. Maybe next time. Best of luck at your seminar!

Wow, you're only about an hour or so from us! WVU connection, too. Small world.

I was diagnosed in 1997 and on meds for the last few years. I found that I feel better when near the ocean - breathing in that wonderful salt air. I tell DH Dave that I need to cruise every month! We spent a few days last year at Disney's Vero Beach resort and I felt great there, too.

Thanks for the future offer of your hospitality. I appreciate it.

Jan

Hi Everyone! I am really hoping that our family will be able to join you all on this cruise. My kiddos and I just got of the Magic on Sunday and it was amazing. DH had to stay home and work as he just started at a new hospital so I am hoping this trips timing will be perfect. We have three boys - they will be 3, 7 and 9 on this cruise. We live in California and DH is from Texas so we thought this would be a perfect trip.

As for people mentioning school we will be taking our kids out and they will be thrilled. After 5 days of absences we can get an independent study packet. We did this last year when DH graduated from nursing school out of state and then we tacked on Disneyworld. It was a lot of work for our then 1st grader but I think being we will have a home base on the ship as opposed to moving around from the college, to Disneyworld, the parks,etc... this will be easier.

So my main problem right now is trying to decide when/how to book. Since we are a large family we need to do a family stateroom or two rooms. Which would be better? I was almost thinking to rooms so that way if some kids are asleep and some are awake doing homework there would be a quiet space. Also is it better to book right now or should I wait to see if any deals pop up? I don't know all the ins and outs of rebooking,etc... if a deal comes through so if anyone can pass that info along that would be great. Also have they ever done a military discount on these long cruises? I know they don't get released until much later so I am not sure what to do there. Anyways, I pretty much told my dh I would stop spending money if it meant we could cruise so hopefully I am making this happen asap!

ADandBsmommy said:
Hi Everyone! I am really hoping that our family will be able to join you all on this cruise. My kiddos and I just got of the Magic on Sunday and it was amazing. DH had to stay home and work as he just started at a new hospital so I am hoping this trips timing will be perfect. We have three boys - they will be 3, 7 and 9 on this cruise. We live in California and DH is from Texas so we thought this would be a perfect trip.

As for people mentioning school we will be taking our kids out and they will be thrilled. After 5 days of absences we can get an independent study packet. We did this last year when DH graduated from nursing school out of state and then we tacked on Disneyworld. It was a lot of work for our then 1st grader but I think being we will have a home base on the ship as opposed to moving around from the college, to Disneyworld, the parks,etc... this will be easier.

So my main problem right now is trying to decide when/how to book. Since we are a large family we need to do a family stateroom or two rooms. Which would be better? I was almost thinking to rooms so that way if some kids are asleep and some are awake doing homework there would be a quiet space. Also is it better to book right now or should I wait to see if any deals pop up? I don't know all the ins and outs of rebooking,etc... if a deal comes through so if anyone can pass that info along that would be great. Also have they ever done a military discount on these long cruises? I know they don't get released until much later so I am not sure what to do there. Anyways, I pretty much told my dh I would stop spending money if it meant we could cruise so hopefully I am making this happen asap!

Hope you can join us! We get on the Magic Saturday! The best deal is usually book early and on the ship if possible. Normally rates go up as the ship fills. If it is not getting full then they do Military rates and other discounts - I would think this one may do well with it repositioning in US so air is not as bad - I know we were excited about it - but it is during school and two weeks - so that might have an impact.

ADandBsmommy said:

I forgot to answer your other question - you usually get more room for the money with the two connecting rooms. That would be another reason not to wait since you want connecting rooms and they are harder to get closer to sailing. Hope that helps!

I forgot to answer your other question - you usually get more room for the money with the two connecting rooms. That would be another reason not to wait since you want connecting rooms and they are harder to get closer to sailing. Hope that helps!

Thank you! Our travel agent seemed to think that as long as something such as kids sail free,etc... comes out before we hit the due date deadline she would be able to move us to that deal. For military we would have to cancel and rebook which would be a bummer but doable.

For 14 night cruise how do things vary then shorter 7 night ones? Do they still have theme nights and they are just spread out more? This was our first cruise and we seriously loved it 200 times more then I thought we would. DH did not travel with us so this would be his first.

ADandBsmommy said:
Thank you! Our travel agent seemed to think that as long as something such as kids sail free,etc... comes out before we hit the due date deadline she would be able to move us to that deal. For military we would have to cancel and rebook which would be a bummer but doable.

For 14 night cruise how do things vary then shorter 7 night ones? Do they still have theme nights and they are just spread out more? This was our first cruise and we seriously loved it 200 times more then I thought we would. DH did not travel with us so this would be his first.

They add things to the longer cruises - we did an 11 night and they had more theme nights (it was Christmas) and a special guest. I heard they did a Murder Mystery on the last Panama cruise.

We are looking for some suggestions for LA with two children (infant and toddler) and needing to travel from airport to hotel, hotel to port. We are trying to decide if we take car seats or try to book something where the seats would not be required (i.e. shuttle, bus). Any input would be greatly appreciated. We are split on taking the seats or not. My wife and I are former law enforcement and appreciate the need for seats in a taxi, etc. If shuttles or buses exist that might be a reason to leave the seats behind.

Anyone with experience on this?

We are looking for some suggestions for LA with two children (infant and toddler) and needing to travel from airport to hotel, hotel to port. We are trying to decide if we take car seats or try to book something where the seats would not be required (i.e. shuttle, bus). Any input would be greatly appreciated. We are split on taking the seats or not. My wife and I are former law enforcement and appreciate the need for seats in a taxi, etc. If shuttles or buses exist that might be a reason to leave the seats behind.

Anyone with experience on this?

Let me think on this one...we live in California and I am trying to think of what would be easier. The airport/hotels are not super close to the port. I am assuming you will be flying in to LAX?

Hi there. So DH, DD11, her BFF11 and myself are considering switching our 12 night Med with Greece and Adventures by Disney add-on to this cruise. I am doing it completely reluctantly, but for good reasons. First, my daughter is a competitive dancer and there is a major conflict with her dance schedule. Second, I own and operate a bed and breakfast and travelling in June or July is a pretty big no-no in my industry (lost revenue and all that :rotfl2:) Whatever we decide this will be our first cruise as Platinum Castaways. I have to say, even if we book a suite, this cruise will be much less costly (and we may have to book a one-bedroom to keep DD & BFF from driving us crazy!:lmao:) So, for any of you who have done the Canal, is it worth post-poning my Med dream cruise? possibly for several years? The canal is on my bucket list as well, and 2 weeks onboard with few ports actually sounds lovely to me (can we say rainforest pass :cool1:).

The Dec 2012 EBPC did offer discounts a week or so ago and those already booked received the discount credit. We had this same thing happen on our MED Cruise in 2010, DCL offered a last minute deal because of the volcanos and we all received OBC.

Let me think on this one...we live in California and I am trying to think of what would be easier. The airport/hotels are not super close to the port. I am assuming you will be flying in to LAX?

We will be. If we fly in just in time for the cruise, we would be inclined to attempt to leave the seats behind. But, if we come in a few days and do a rental car then we can rent the seats. I am thinking that we will likely fly in on Friday and ship leaves on Saturday.

Thanks for any input you could provide. It is really helpful to have someone closer who has more information.

We will be. If we fly in just in time for the cruise, we would be inclined to attempt to leave the seats behind. But, if we come in a few days and do a rental car then we can rent the seats. I am thinking that we will likely fly in on Friday and ship leaves on Saturday.

Thanks for any input you could provide. It is really helpful to have someone closer who has more information.

OK so thinking this over today I think your best bet is finding a hotel where you can shuttle to from the airport and has a shuttle to the cruise terminal. San Pedro is waaay out there and I think trying to deal with a rental car would be a pain - plus then add in the carseats,etc... and it would be a headache. There are multiple hotels in the area that have shuttles to the ship so that should be easy to find. I just think the coordination with a rental car would be a pita especially if you only need it for one night.

Can anyone familiar with the Houston airports help me figure out the best airlines and typical pricing from there to probably Sacramento or possible SF or Oakland? I am a horrible horrible flyer and typically will only fly Virgin which only goes out of Dallas. DH would kill me if I made him rent a car to drive to Dallas so I could fly home :blush:

That being said I refuse to fly Southwest so what are the other options out there? I am going to need serious drugs to get on the plane as it is!

US Scare is probably going to be your cheapest to Sac :scared1: then I would guess United would have the next greatest options. Delta is likely to have a bit higher price along with a more limited choice of flight times. might be more choices to San depending on where you live, i know my sister in Davis hates to fly out of San if she can get a fare out of SAC. :confused3

OK so thinking this over today I think your best bet is finding a hotel where you can shuttle to from the airport and has a shuttle to the cruise terminal. San Pedro is waaay out there and I think trying to deal with a rental car would be a pain - plus then add in the carseats,etc... and it would be a headache. There are multiple hotels in the area that have shuttles to the ship so that should be easy to find. I just think the coordination with a rental car would be a pita especially if you only need it for one night.

Agreed! Thanks for the input. Sometimes reading it helps to solidify what you already.

Agreed! Thanks for the input. Sometimes reading it helps to solidify what you already.

We are flying in early and taking the Disney bus to one of their hotels before the trip. Didn't know if you had thought of that option.

We want to do a couple days at Disneyland before the cruise. My daughter really wants to see Hollywood so we have been debating renting a car to drive to the port and see Hollywood if that is doable. I know traffic can be an issue - would we have time to do a drive by of Hollywood on our way from DL to the port?

Honestly hollywood before would be rough. It is WAY out of the direct route there. Plus we were on the Wonder by 11:30 last trip and so if you left the hotel, drove to hollywood and then drove to the port it would be super late. Plus does she want to just drive by and see it OR actually get out of the car and look around?

What I would do is either do a few hours during the day or during the evening there one of our Disneyland days. It would only cut in a few hours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter