Palo Brunch discontinued while docked ay Nassau

darkwing818

DIS Veteran
Don't know if this is old news (couldn't find anything using the search function), but i just received an E-mail from shoreside concierge, stating that our Palo Brunch scheduled for our "Nassau Day" is being discontinued, as noted below.

"We regularly review our offerings and have recently decided to discontinue offering brunch while the ship is in Nassau. We’ve found that many guests enjoy spending time ashore or are involved in other shipboard activities."

We are are sailing on the Dream at the end of May. A bit bummed :(, but we still have our Remy brunch scheduled for our sea day. Again I apologize if this has already been posted.

Don't know if this is old news (couldn't find anything using the search function), but i just received an E-mail from shoreside concierge, stating that our Palo Brunch scheduled for our "Nassau Day" is being discontinued, as noted below.

"We regularly review our offerings and have recently decided to discontinue offering brunch while the ship is in Nassau. We’ve found that many guests enjoy spending time ashore or are involved in other shipboard activities."

We are are sailing on the Dream at the end of May. A bit bummed :(, but we still have our Remy brunch scheduled for our sea day. Again I apologize if this has already been posted.
Yeah, it's been mentioned:
http://www.disboards.com/threads/17-april-2015-brunch-cancelled.3386515/

I think that your post confirms that they are just ending it. The other post was more like it was cancelled THAT day, that sailing. Your post actually quotes te email where they make that excuse, rather than paraphrasing it in what seems like an off the cuff thing for that one day.

Even more convinced that it's an excuse that doesn't match reality. Our Nassau brunch day in January could hardly have been more packed. I do not believe that it was an anomaly.

I wonder if Nassau wanted to charge their new VAT? There's definitely some other reason, IMO.

Thanks for the post, you are the first I've seen to confirm that Disney is just ending it altogether. I agree with the PP, I wonder why? I wouldn't be surprised if it is connected with the Nassau tax initiative seen already on CC.

It's so popular. I'm sorry they discontinued it for whatever reason.

Disappointed. Doing a 5 day double dip and was hoping to do brunch on the both the day at sea & Nassau. I'm surprised they would give up the opportunity for the additional revenue. Been on 3 previous cruises with stops in Nassau and it seemed a large number of people stay on board compared to other ports. I know on this cruise my family was looking at Nassau as being another day at sea where we could enjoy the ship.

It could be the Bahamian VAT making them charge extra, it could be that the cost of staffing the operation vs. the profit from it was very low, or that the crew were being expected to work additional hours on a port day and unhappy about the additional hours and not signing new contracts or asking to be transferred? The ILO are very hot the maximum amount of hours a CM can work these days.

Ok, sorry but I am a bit confused. Is this effective immediately for all sailings? We are going on the Dream in three weeks and have a Palo brunch booked on Nassau day and we have not gotten any notification saying that the reservation has been canceled. Hopefully that is not the case especially since we were not planning on getting off the ship that day. :(

I was canceled today, also. I leave May 1st, on the Dream. Concierge said they were canceling Remy and Palo brunch for the same reason stated in above post, but brunch was sold out that day.

Ok, sorry but I am a bit confused. Is this effective immediately for all sailings? We are going on the Dream in three weeks and have a Palo brunch booked on Nassau day and we have not gotten any notification saying that the reservation has been canceled. Hopefully that is not the case especially since we were not planning on getting off the ship that day. :(

I would call DCL and ask them for further clarification.
Hopefully the fact they haven't contacted you is good news :)

I hope you have a great cruise whatever the outcome

I got the impression it was all brunches. I am staying in a suite and got a call from concierge. I will call tomorrow to get more details.

What is VAT?

Thank you.:)
VAT = Value Added Tax. The Bahamas recently adopted a 7.5% VAT on all goods and services purchased in the Bahamas. That's why all excursions, rentals, and purchases on Castaway Cay recently increased in price.

So, purchasing a Palo brunch while docked in Nassau would also incur the 7.5% VAT, increasing the price.

Once people would be faced with the choice of booking Palo brunch while docked at Nassau (costing at least $26.88 with VAT) or brunch on a sea day (costing $25.00) I'm sure DCL felt that the bookings on Nassau day would be not as popular. Yes, it's not much of a difference, but it is a difference.

I'm guessing that may mean they might stop offering the brunch on the 2d Castaway Cay day on the double dips (as they've done in the past), if that's the reason.

Value Added Tax. In the States, we call it a sales tax. At least that's how I understand it. I remember paying it whenI visited Great Britain.

My cruise is in the beginning of May and I have not gotten an email and the reservation is still on disneycruise site. My question is for those of you who did when you access the site is your reservation gone from your reservation on the sight???

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter