Pal Mickey ??????

They send the information through his nose.
So Mickey gets his fix by taking it up the nose. **SNIFF, SNIFF** Not the Disney picture I usually have in my head. Pretty soon there will be lots of junkie Mickeys around :tongue:.

We had a great time with him. Carried him all through all 4 parks for 6 days - the batteries lasted. He will warn you when shows start and when parades start. In mgm he told us several times which attractions had short lines. So the data he is getting is real time. Interesting thing - the jokes and games are really designed for about a 7 year old but it was only the adults who were carrying him around. Our kids aren't going to touch ours.

The one drawback we found is that they programmed in a way to turn him off. The idea I think being that when you are in the Hall of Presidents he shouldn't be talking. When he is turned off through the software you can't reset him or make him talk by pressing one of his hands. The idea is that when you leave the attraction (one example is spaceship earth) he will pick up the signal to turn back on. but he didn't. So then he wouldn't tell any jokes or anything until he got another signal to jiggle. He is also supposed to know when you leave the park so he doesn't keep tabs on the goings-on anymore. While sitting in our room at the bw we heard from Pal Mickey that there was a parade about to start on Mainstreet - "you better find a seat." This happened several times - especially with the International exit from epcot. These were pretty minor really. We had a great time with him and will be bringing him back in December.

Pretty soon Pal (HAL) Mickey will be able to charge stuff to your room. Just wave his hand by the cash register....

This just in.....a denial of service attack has hit the Walt Disney Resort Pal Mickey system....thousands of guests are lost and wondering around aimlessly...asking about parades and shows...total confusion abounds...children and adults crying everywhere....

:bounce:

So it can't be hard for them to use other characters for this as well right? I'm afraid I would be at the top of a bell tower somewhere in Texas if I had to listen to that annoying voice all day. Sorry purists... but I can't stand the mouse's voice....or any of the original characters as far as that goes...guess i'm a newbie of sorts.:D

Sorry..... maybe someone answered this already.... but is PAL Mickey available anywhere but at the park? What about the local Disney Stores? What about online. I think I'll get one for our trip - but I don't want to take a chance of them being sold out at WDW.

Just at wdw as far as I know although I have seen them on the internet for about 90.00. I don't think they will run out. They have planned it all very well.

Oh, so I wonder if THAT'S what happened when I walked out of Test Track and then Pal Mickey wouldn't come on anymore. So he was turned off by a signal so that he wouldn't talk while he was in there? We thought his batteries must be dead, because he wouldn't respond, and walked down that path from Test Track to the Mousegear shop and replaced his batteries, and then he would tell jokes again. It seemed odd that he would just die like that all of a sudden, and I was surprised at the time, because it was only the 2nd day after purchase, and seemed too soon to really need batteries. I bet he was supposed to receive a signal to come back on as you exit Test Track, but he didn't receive it for whatever reason, and then walking along that path towards Mousegear, there wouldn't have been anything to give him another signal to giggle, so yeah, I guess he still would have been unable to respond until I had taken him out towards something else that had a signal. One other thing that I noticed that could have been a problem was that his on/off switch inside his head was kind of loose, and if it got jiggled too much towards the off setting, even though not really pushed into the off position, if you know what I mean, he would be off, and not respond or giggle. So it sounds like there may be a few technical problems to still iron out with both Pal Mickey himself and the signals, but he's still very cute and definitely worth it. Who knows, this may end up being an inexact technology, where they end up having to be happy with Pal Mickey saying most of the things, but not 100% of the things 100% of the time. But even with the occasional problem or not picking up signals some of the time, he still said plenty of things to make it worth it. For instance, I thought it was odd that he didn't say anything as I was entering the Magic Kingdom through the tunnel, but as I was walking down Main Street, he started mentioning the names on the upper story windows and why they are there, and then talked about choosing which land to enter when approaching the hub. Then later on in the day as I was exiting, he talked about Roy's statue with Minnie in the Town Square, which he didn't mention upon entering the park earlier. I had heard that he was supposed to mention when there were short lines for rides, but he didn't say anything like that in 3 full park days. Maybe I just wasn't in the parks at times when it would have triggered that or something. He did make a joke about entering tomorrowland when I went across that bridge into tomorrowland, and then another separate joke about exiting tomorrowland when I came across the bridge coming out of tomorrowland, which led me to believe that he somehow knows which way you're walking, and not just when you're near something, but who knows, it could just be that he tells the exit joke the second time past that particular spot or something. He still is such a wonderful toy though- I was just so happy whenever he said anything at all, it was so cute.

The way to tell if the batteries are still good is to push both hands at the same time and see if he tries to play a game. For some reason the game stuff doesn't get turned off when the joke logic does.

I was surprised also by how little he said at MK. I would have thought that would have been his domain. Also interesting that when exiting the parks he would say: "I'm going to go to sleep for awhile" and be unresponsive after that. I'm not sure what the logic behind that is - to not tell jokes while you are waiting for the bus??? He got totally mixed up at epcot and said: "Thanks for taking me to epcot I think I'll go to sleep for awhile" as we were entering. I had to laugh.

Again - very fun toy. He'll be with us again in December.

Wow, that's odd. Mine never said anything about going to sleep as I was exiting any of the parks. I'll bet they're still in the process of changing what he says and stuff. Usually as soon as I got to the area in front of the turnstiles as I was exiting, he wouldn't say anything else, and stopped vibrating and giggling for jokes as well. That's good information about testing the batteries though, thanks. I was wondering how I would really know if they were dead, or if Pal Mickey was just being turned off by a signal or something.

I could've swore while I was staying at the contemporary one night, I saw mine spin his head around while eyes glowing red chanting some demonic spell

So, which would be more obnoxious - Pal Mickey, or (should they expand) Pal Tigger? Or, can anyone imagine a Pal Eeyore?

LOL JoNo!! Yes, in a way it was kinda scary for electronics inside of Pal Mickey to be in constant touch with Disney's computer, telling them where you are all the time. I think Pal Mickey probably talks to you subliminally during your sleep, unconciously making you purchase more Disney merchandise and make more Disney reservations. LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter