Pal Mickey ??????

Minniemomof4

Mouseketeer
Can anyone enlighten me on something that is possibly called "Pal Mickey" or something similar. This is supposedly a card with a chip in it that tells you what restaurants or rides don't have lines????? I was told it sells for $55.oo. Anyone know anything about this? This is a new one on me!!!!:confused:

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- He?s the ultimate insider at Walt Disney World Resort, a cheerful friend who helps enhance a theme park visit with timesaving tips and fun facts. Who is he? Pal Mickey!

Pal Mickey is a talking, huggable Mickey Mouse toy that shares timesaving tips, fun facts and jokes while guests visit the four Walt Disney World theme parks in Lake Buena Vista, Fla.

"It's almost time for the parade!" Pal Mickey says. "We better hurry if we wanna see it!"

Available for rental or purchase at WDW beginning in April, Pal Mickey enhances a theme park visit by:
* recommending theme park attractions
* offering reminders about parades and show times
* sharing stories
* playing games
* helping locate Disney characters in the parks

The interactive toy will be available to all guests as a daily rental for $8 per day plus tax and a refundable deposit, or as a $46.94 purchase plus tax at merchandise locations in each of the Walt Disney World resort hotels starting in April.

Pal Mickey will be offered at select locations in Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Disney-MGM Studios and Disney?s Animal Kingdom beginning in May.

Don't let the cheap, cost-cutting trolls over at TDA hear about this or they'll want to develop a way for the little stuffed Mickey to reach back and steal your wallet while he's leading you to a parade. That way, they could cut out the middle man.

Imagine this happening...

Pal Mickey: "Hi kids! Look over there! IT's BUZZ LIGHTYEAR!"

Kids: "I don't see any....wait a minute....DAD!! Mickey's in MOMMY'S PURSE!!"

Roy ;)

One concern, I have about Pal Mickey is "how much is he on?" Can signals be sent so that if a person is on an attraction or in a show Mickey will be quiet?

I'd really hate to be floating through Pirates when all of a sudden I start hearing, "It's almost time for the parade!" "We better hurry if we wanna see it!" Or for someone to give it to a small child to keep them occupied by having Mickey tell stories during a show.

I doubt Pal Mickey has a vibrate option, and it would be a royal pain for concientious users to turn him on and off evertime they enter an attraction.

The way it was explained to me, it vibrates if it has something to say. Then if you want to hear it, you press his hand.

I can just see the ticked off parents now :) whipping that sucker across the MK mote because the kids are arguing about who gets to carry the possessed plush abomination this half hour.

Wanna bet a few of these end up at the bottom of Bay Lake or other watery grave when the temps go over 85?

"Oh boy! Five minutes, just five minu@^ *ill the Firewor#~` ^$.,..,.,..glug....glug glug."

I laughed out loud when I read the replies above. :)

Well Folks, I just got back today. I bought Pal Mickey the day before my Mom died. I was unable to change my amtrak tickets to go back home. I am going to post a trip report about how Disney when out of their way to take care of my DW and I all week long. As to the subject of the Pal Mickey, my mother feel in love with him. That day, she cared him all day long. He has about 700 really bad jokes.. (good for the kids). He does viberate when he has sometime to say. He did not annouce anything while we were on rides or in a show. After my Mom died, I cared that dumb little mickey around all the parks. So if you ask me....Pal was a small but fun part of my mom last day at Disney. :( :(

Pal Mickey costs $46, though it's been selling on some Internet stores for the rip-off price of $89!
Pal Mickey clips onto your belt, facing away from you (if you don't want to carry him). He has a switch that allows him to be easily turned off.
When turned on, he giggles and vibrates when he has something to say. Walking into the Animal Kingdom with him, he announced his intention immediately, so we pressed his hand (you can press either hand or his stomach--something we taught the two-year old boys who were with us in three minutes), and he gave details on the Scarlet Ibis which were standing in front of us. As we made our way through the park, he occassionally let us know he had something to say, and we chose to listen or not. When we listened, he added quite a bit to our experiences in the park.
He does remind you of parade times, suggest attractions that might interest you, and give detailed information that would not otherwise be available. His voice is not audible to anyone else but you because of the ambient noise in an exterior situation.
He does NOT talk while on attractions or during shows.
When you are not in the parks, Mickey tells lots of cornball jokes if you press his hand (and you'd better like puns!). He also plays three games, though I haven't investigated that.
Far from being an "abomination" as it has been called in this thread, Pal Mickey is an ingenious way of enhancing the park experience for kids--it is as if one of their favorite cartoon characters has come to life and is talking directly to them.
The smiles on our kids faces were priceless.

I'm still waiting for the "hack" site to pop-up. :)

I guarantee someone will attempt a reverse engineering on it and claim they found a way to hold it up to a certain lamp post in the park and press his hand a certain way at just the right time of day and open up the "gates of hell" or something stupid.

Either that, or a lawsuit claiming their "pal" woke up and bit their kid.

I'll get 2 if they can make it unscramble HBO! ;)

JC

"He does NOT talk while on attractions or during shows."

That's what I thought too, but he did "go off" once during the haunted mansion. He said something like "I th-th-think that's a gh-gh-ghost playing the organ...no wonder the music is so sc-sc-scary."

d-r, did he just come out with that statement, or did he giggle and vibrate and you pressed his hand before he said it?

He did the vibrate and giggle that he does when he wants to say something. I had to hold him to my ear to hear what he was saying over the volume of the haunted mansion. When he vibrates like that I say he "went off."

He went off a whole lot in world showcase. Sometimes three or four times a country, sometimes only once per country. He went off quite a bit in MK, but it seemed like more in Epcot. We were already waiting for fantasmic when we went off to tell us that it was only an hour so we should go on over. He tells lots of jokes, some of them were funny. He has three games. One game is he will say the name of an attraction and you squeeze his belly if it is in this park or his hand if it isn't (or maybe that is backward). Another game, he lists character names, and you squeeze his hand or belly when he says certain names. The other game is Mickey says; you squeeze his hand or belly if he says Mickey says, you don't if he doesn't say Mickey says. Sometimes I expected him to go off and he didn't so I would walk around trying to find the sweet spot (for example, outside of pirates. Finally he decided to say something).

He was a lot of fun, and I got a kick out of him. He is easy to carry because he has a clip that attaches to your belt, then he just slides on or off the clip. The cast members hadn't seen too many of them, and sometimes they would ask me to show them. The rumor was that they are trying to make it where it will respond at home to the disney channel on tv. I'm not sure how they can do that. I used the dvc coupon to rent for free. I ended up taking him back and buying the ttc for the monorail instead. I think for me the fun would run off pretty soon. It was interesting to hear him say something, though.

People on the internet were wondering how they would clean them for the rentals. I didn't ask, but there was the idea that they would throw away the plush, but the way the push buttons are in the hands and belly I don't think they can do that. If you buy one, you get to take the rental back and get a new one in the box if you want to (rather than just keeping the one you had). Our friends returned the one they used the coupon for also and had the same experience that we had, that they don't know how to work the registers to return them yet because not many people have. They have two attached round units inside that are accessed through a zipper, and take AA batteries. I wondered if you could take them to disneyland if they would work there. I figured they would not.

I saw a bunch of people from the dis boards yesterday at Epcot and they had probably three of them between them, so I bet you hear lots about them. If they didn't get drunk and lose them :)

Oh yeah one other thing. If you were in the parks, a lot of times the jokes he would say sort of matched the place you were. Sometimes he went off to tell a joke that was associated with that place (at ctx, he said "what do you call an anxious tyranosaur? A nervous rex" or something like that). Sometimes those little jokes that were associated with a place were pretty funny!

One other weird thing. One day we started in epcot in the morning and went to magic kingdom. When you go through the turnstyles he is supposed to learn where he is, but on main street he still thought he was in epcot - I held both of his hands to play the "what's in the park" game and he wanted to play epcot. So I went back to the turnstyles. The cast members there said that it wasn't really the turnstyles that did it, but that it was the Roy statue. But I held him around that area anyway, and he went off right before going in the tunnel (an exiting the MK line, he said he was tired and going to sleep), and then went off at the Roy statue. I think the Roy statue is probably the first place it goes off for most people in MK, but I don't think the information is downloaded there. They send the information through his nose.

DR

I heard all but one positive comments about it last week. The one negative comment was that either the battery died half way thru the day or it simply broke,but that's a mechanical issue,not a concept/usefulness one.

I asked a CM how the rented ones are recycled so that nobody gets a dirty,slobber and snot soaked one the following day. Basically they reskin he little sucker & properly clean or replace the old skin.

Pal Mickey is designed for 5 full days in the park on one set of batteries. After the first set of Magical Moments pins got such short battery life (that's why they included a second set of batteries in the package), I'm pretty sure they made a particular effort to get longer life out of the batteries in something like Pal Mickey.

Thanks for all of the great information! So am I correct in gathering that he really has nothing current to say, just interesting bits of information? If he is giving current info on attractions etc. and you purchase him, is he usable the next time you are at WDW?

I wouldn't say that. It has up to date info about all the daily activities in each park- show times,parade times, line wait times,etc. My opinion is that this info is actively transmitted inside the park and the Pal Mic is the receiver so you will always have the lastest and greatest info. And yes, he is reuseable for all trips.

It downloads through his nose when you go into the park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter