Overwhelmed!!!

knottmel1

Mouseketeer
This is so much to plan. :scared1: A friend of mine and I (both single moms) are taking our kids to WDW in November. We have 5 days of park passes and are staying at the AoA. We have our ADR's planned (free dining plan) and that is all! I have no idea how to plan touring the parks. We want our kiddos (ages 4, 5, 10, 13) to see the big stuff, ride the rides, meet the characters and have a laid back (as much as you can at WDW) vacation. Is there anyone out there that can help me with touring plans. I joined touring plans.com but it is still so much to try to fit our ADR in with the plans.... HELP! :eek: ANY help would be appreciated!

Here is our park dates and ADRs

16th - MK - CP @3:30 for early dinner so we can attend MVMCP
17th - HS - MMR @ 12:20 - Fantasmic pkg
18th - off day - Ohana @ 9:25 am and WCC @ 4:35 pm dinner
19th - Going to IoA for HP
20th - AK - TH @12:40 pm lunch and HoB @ 8 pm
21st - MK - LTT @ 7:45 dinner
22nd - EP - CR @ 1:45 lunch
23rd - Going home... :mad:

THANKS!

Sounds like you will have a great time.

If you've got a touring plans account, you can start with one of their pre-planned touring plans and then personalize it for your own trip (using the "personalized plans" option). For instance, you can add in your ADRs to the touring plans.

Have fun!

I would start by asking each person what attraction in each park is important to them...make those high on the list. Once those are done, just relax and enjoy the rest of the day.

As far as planning which rides to go on first, and what order to do them in, I think Touringplans.com is the best site. I really like it. You can either plan really specifically what you want to do, or just follow it for the morning, and you will be fine. There are just a few rides in each park that always have longer lines than other rides, so if you get those out of the way first, or FP them, you will be fine.

Their book, the Unofficial Guide to Disney World is also a great read. I just go get one at the library to read over before each trip.

Just remember that you will not see everything in that amount of days, and don't stress about it. For me, the key is to plan, then be ready to throw it out when I get there. Except the ADR's, of course. Although you might find yourself trying to make a couple changes to those too when you get there.

With kids, you have to be flexible. You never know what they will like, or wont. What they will want to do more than once. Remember there will always be another trip if you miss some stuff and want to come back.

The one thing that can really throw off a touring plan is meeting the characters, so that is one thing I would say talk to your kids about before you leave. When you walk in the park first thing in the am, are you going to want to stop and do characters if they see any, or proceed to the busy rides. If you want to go to the busy rides first, and do characters later. Talk to your kids and explain why you might have to walk by some and not stop. Or decide if you want to do as many characters as you can and not worry about how many rides you get done.

Just remember to be flexible with your kids, relax and enjoy the atmosphere and you will have an amazing time!! :cool1:

Here's my recommendation. If you want it laid back, you shouldn't try to plan out your whole day. What I would tell you to do is this.

1.) Understand what the key rides are in each park. Meaning, if you want to ride TSM at HS, you really need to be at the park one day for rope drop. Go straight to the ride, get a FP and then ride it standby. After that, use a line app such as Mobile Magic to get an idea of what's crowded and what's not. At HS, the next most popular rides are RnRC, ToT, and Star Tours. Try and knock them out early or with Fast passes

2.) At Magic Kingdom, again at RD go to whatever is most important to you. For example, if you want to see Rapunzel, do that first. If you have boys and she doesn't matter, go ride Space Mountain and get a Fastpass for Peter Pan or vice versa. After those two rides, head towards Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain. Fantasyland and Tomorrowland fill up first and people will slowly make their way back to Frontierland. After that, use Mobile Magic and find the shortest lines.

3.) At Epcot, at RD, go straight for Soarin and get a FP and/or ride standby. Then go hit Test Track (if it is open by then). If you want the characters, you may want to go there next, as the Character spot fills up fast. Also take a look at www.easywdw.com for Character spot locations. They go through a rundown of when to see each character and the best times to go.

4.) At Animal Kingdom, the two most popular rides are Safari (this should be your top priority). Go at RD or get a FP. Switch in EE.

My family has found that if you get to the parks at rope drop and hit the major rides right away, you then have time to get on everything else before there are crazy crowds. We don't get to sleep in a lot, but Disney (to us at least) is not a beach vacation. We are there to see and tour. How stressful you make that, is completely up to you. Have fun!

I never use touring plans, I can see where you would feel overwhelmed, but it really is very doable to plan your own visit.

You don't have to plan a specific ride order. You will however, have to make some choices. You kind of have to accept that there is more to do at WDW than you have time to see. You can see most of WDW, and all the big rides, and even some characters- but not EVERY little detail of WDW- that would take over a month. You simply can't be in two palces at once- that's part of the fun of WDW. After many trips, I've still never made it to the water parks!

When it coms to planning- a few key ideas are very helpful. Always try to zig, when the crowd is zagging. You won't get it right on your first trip- but you can learn from your mistakes quickly - and you CAN make many smart on the spot choices. Like if you see a QS lunch line at noon that's REALLY long- pick something else, or pick a different time to eat. If we get hungry at noon- we usually grab our ice cream dessert before our entrees. :)

The second thing to know is how fastpass works. Managing your fastpasses well will save you a great deal of time. Start each day by getting a fastpass, AND riding a e-ride attraction right away. If you do that at AK, HS, and Epcot- the rest of your day will be cake. MK is the only park that has more than three e-rides. E-rides are the top attractions. (an old term that goes way back) Most e-rides are fastpass attractions, but not all fatpass attractions are e-rides.(other posters have done a good job of listing the biggies: EE, safari, TT, S!, Mtns, BTMRR, Dumbo, Pan, TSM, Tot, RnRC)

If you want to add seeing characters to your days, then you kind of have to make some choices. A character meal is one way to see them with minimal waits. Otherwise, the big character greet hot spots (the ones whith multiple characters together) are kind of like e-rides. It pays to arrive early.

By now you've probably realized that at WDW, the early bird gets the worm. It pays to arrive at the parks as soon as they open. It will take you longer to get to the parks than you may think- so try not to stress - but DO try to arrive early. You can still cover a lot of ground any time of day- but arrving early is helpful. Similarly, if you can manage evening hours- they are also helpful. The parks are fantasic after dark, and evening events like fireworks a re highlight of any visit (I'll take Wishes over any afternoon parade!) the afternoon parades, IMO - are just an excercise in aggravation. folks jostle for the best spot, and it is frustrating being in the throng. (Meanwhile the ride lines are short!)

If you've alrady booked dining- then that is going to partly dictate where you go each day. If you have dinner in Epcot planned- then that's an Ecpot day. If you have dinner planned near MK- then that's a good MK day. Try to avoid hopping- or minimze it. You say you are booked at AoA, so I know none of your ADR's are at your home resort. Still, the food court at your home resort is always a good choice for a quick meal.

In my opinion- quick morning meals are wise. It's fine to have a nice TS breakfast booked one day (esp ifyou hyave to travel) but keep in mind most morning s that morning is a great time to hit lots of rides.

Back to zigging and zaggging- try to use common sense when touring. If you see along line- walk away and come back later. Likewise, try to think ahead- like avoid kiddie rides during popular kiddie hours - ItaSW has no line late at night,but a lnog line at 11am. the parks are most crowded from 11 until 3pm - that'sa great time to do the rides that have minimal lines, interspersed with using fastpasses. It's really that easy.

Other important sugestions: WDW is lots of walking. the more you are in shape the more you'll be able to do. Happy feet are critical. That means only high quality walking shoes- bring at least two pairs, preferably one pair that you can wear to the pool and for water rides (Kali, maybe Splash). If a member of your family can't walk long distances, strongly consider renting a scooter, or using a stroller (n the case of kids). With a 4 and 5 years olds- consider a lightweight sturdy double stroller. Again, good quality will pay off.

Also make sure you understand how the dining plan works, so you don't have to figure it out when you are there. Know that you get mugs included.

It's also very importantto drink plenty of water. November is not especially hot, so it's not like July- but staying hydrated is still very important.

You should study the layout of each park. Do this before you go, and each night (before bed). I also like to prep up for the next day each night (layout clothes, clean the stroller basket, know weather and layout (rain) jackets). When you are studying the maps- if you can - also try to locate the restrooms. In a pinch, you can alsways ask where the nearest restroomm is located- but with little kids it pays to know. Know that EVERY resort lobby and just about every dining location -has restrooms.

DO encourage everyon to be proactive about restroom needs. When one peson goes- everyone goes -or at least makes GOOD use of that time. (maybe dad can get fastpasses while mom takes the kids)

Last, try to avoid drill sargent mode. It's okay if you don't see everything. WDW has lots of really amazing small details. If your kids are having a fantastic time playing in a water fountain, they won't care if they miss a ride the've never seen. There are sometimes where it pays to scoot your family a little (getting everyone out of the room in the am, not missing shows that happen only once a day- if that show is a priority, not mising ADR's), but really the biggest mistake you'll see reported is that someone was TOO mcuh ofa drill seargent. They got so caught up in not missing anything that they missed everything! (a.k.a. forgot to have fun and enjoy the moment) (the same is true of the peson whotries to photograph every second) Many of our best Disney memories are times when we stopped to do nothing. Also, overplanning/overprepping means no discovery. WDW is meant to be discovered.

The other thing to know is that while Disney staff isn't perfect, they are very good. Don't be afraid to ask for help. that is usually the quickest way to a solution. I've been to WDW many times, and I still find plenty of opportunities to ask questions.

So many great tips from all of you! Thank you for your expertise and advice...it is greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks mickeyluv'r for all of the details. You have made me feel so much better about our upcoming trip!

I've been to Disney several times and have never used a touring plan for the individual parks. I am a planner, by nature, but that goes a little too far for me.

The most I ever do is to learn what are the most popular rides/longest lines and hit those first thing in the morning or get fast passes. I get those out of the way and relax the rest of the day.

For instance, I know that at DHS, the "long wait" ride right now is Toy Story Mania. I will hit that ride first, or get fast passes for it, and then head right over to tackle Tower of Terror and RNR. Then, I'm happy.

I plan my trip on a more macro level. I use crowd predictors and plan out my days first. THEN, based on what parks I will be in, I start with my ADRs. For time saving measures it's important to me to be able to get to my ADR relatively easy. This is even more of an issue if you are using the bus.

So, for my Animal Kingdom day, I will exit the park and go over to the Animal Kingdom Lodge and have dinner at Sanaa.

If I want to do something like the Hoop Dee Doo, I will book that reservation on a day that I am at Magic Kingdom so that I can just get on a boat outside of Magic Kingdom and head over there.

You've already booked your ADRs, so if you want to do this, you will need to plan your park days in reverse. Have your parks be close to your ADRs so you aren't traipsing all over the complex getting to and from places.

Have great time on the trip :thumbsup2, you have received a lot of good tips already. One thing to think about is possibly splitting up the group- one adult goes with younger kids while other adult goes with two older. Not for entire trip but maybe a few times so the older or younger groups do not get bored. We plan to do this, as our 3 year old would never be able to do Dinosaur, Space Mountain, etc and my older boys would tire quickly of Dumbo, etc.

The kids will love AoA- actually they will love everything and the adults too :cool1:

I don't mean to complicate but in my opinion, 'Rope Drop' and 'Laid Back' are not synonymous. We never do Rope Drop and still ride TSM. However, we enter the line when the park is close to closing. My opinion, rope drop for TSM I can see. Rope Drop 4 times in a 7 day trip that includes jumping in the car to do Universal will not be laid back. Be careful not to over extend. Having Ohana for breakfast and Whispering Canyon for dinner while staying at AoA sounds like too much bussing and or driving back and forth on an off day as well. Having 4 and 5 year olds may require some get up and go though but if you want to have a good time too, take your time and enjoy what you do get to. Too many stress out doing as much as they can.

One thing to think about is possibly splitting up the group- one adult goes with younger kids while other adult goes with two older.

You've gotten all great info!

We do this on a micro scale. Disney offers something called a child swap pass for any ride that has a height requirement. It works much like a fastpass, but is good for several people at once (I'm thinking three? might be four total). Different rides have slightly different takes on howthey do this, but at many rides, it's an actual paper pass they hand you. Ask a cast member at the entrance of the thrill ride for a CS pass before you split up. Your whole party has to be present to get one.

So one adult waits with the small child, and then later that person can ride the attraction via the fastpass lane. (along with several family members) What makes it extra nice is that the waiting adult can use that time to take the small child on a nearby ride while they wait- if there is a good ride nearby. There are also many opportunites to take the child ina gift shop, or let the child explore a nearby playground, character greet, water fountain. Disney has numerous interactive water fountains and similar soft attractions. Your youngest are five, so maybe they dont need a nap, but wait time can also be 'quiet time.' Though there aren't many rides that most five year olds can't ride.

Near space MTn, there's the peoplemover and sometiems a dance show or characters. You could also maybe go on Buzz- maybe with a fastpass.

Near Rock and Roller Coaster is a booth for small kids where they get a free sticker sheet. It's just as you enter the RnRC area. It's also near ToT, but probably only entertaining enough for one of the two atttractions. At HS, we've also used that mini split up time for one adutl to take the small kids to one fo the shows or parades- but that's harder to do with the new fastpass rigidity.

At AK, near EE- we usualy just wait. You could also walk near Kali and see the primates, but the waiting area near EE is pretty intersting. the gift shop is also kind of intesting. and there's an ice cram cart nearby.

Those are your three biggies. You MIGHT be able to also get a sawp pass if the child is just barely tall enough, but too scared to ride.

But if you never get a child swap pass, you'll also do fine. Even when we can get them, we didn't need them all that often. Since there's oftne one adutl in the group who doesn't want to ride, or you find a way to get by using just fastpasses.

Still other families enjoy splitting up more than we do. We are mostly of the mids set that we go on just about every attraction once. There are a few we don't really like, a few that are hard to fit in, and we often ride the big rides twice back to back. If we do split up, it's often because some of the adults want to take a nap, or get an extra snack.

Another thing that you may or may not find on tour guide sites- like I said before, always try to zip when the crowd zags. Many folks turn their brain off when they go to WDW - to our benefit. If you've even been through a highway tollbooth, you've seen the same thing. Most folks will line up in ONE lane - and wait double- rather than look for the shortest line. They follow the herd. At WDW, they act the same way. Always look for the shortest line when given choices. Sometimes there WILL be signs telling you a gate is for castmembers only, or something similar- but most of the time the crowd mindlessly goes to the middle while the left and right lanes have half the line. Given a choice between right and left- the majority favors the right. So go left if you can. (though Disney IS aware of this bias, so once in while it backfires)

Thre are plenty of other small things you can do to think ahead. We don't follow a touring plan, but while we are in line, we usually decide where we will head after that attraction. It's usually the ride next door, or to use our fastpass, but we aren't standing around aimlessly too much. It's not a rigid system, it's just habit.

Anoher tip that can make the day go smoothly. Let the kids buy a small toy early. Opintions differn widely on parent styles, but this method has worked well in our family. To me, it seems unfair to pit a six ear old against Disney Marketing and expect that the kids is not going to want a toy. We've had good luck with steering the kids towards something small early in the day. Pressed pennies are also another fairly inexpensive thing to collect. You can offer to walk back to a toy site later- but that may be impossible. Another freebie is to always be on the lookout for hidden Mickeys. Search your hotle room , and you will find them in carpeting, wallpaper, bedspreads- all over. Kids on the lookout for Hidden Mickeys or pressed penny machines will walk right past more expensive fare.

16th - MK - CP @3:30 for early dinner so we can attend MVMCP
17th - HS - MMR @ 12:20 - Fantasmic pkg
18th - off day - Ohana @ 9:25 am and WCC @ 4:35 pm dinner
19th - Going to IoA for HP
20th - AK - TH @12:40 pm lunch and HoB @ 8 pm
21st - MK - LTT @ 7:45 dinner
22nd - EP - CR @ 1:45 lunch
23rd - Going home... :mad:

Everyone knows that Disney is huge, but you won't realise just how huge it is until you get here. Here is my advice....

Don't make a touring plan. In fact, if you hadn't already scheduled I would have told you to dump the dining plan too. Not because the restaurants aren't awesome, but because you will spend half your day trying to get to them. For example, you have a day where you are going to O'Hanas and WCC. Both are awesome places, but you will spend more time getting to them than riding rides in a park.

Also, you have a lot of kids and that doesn't do well on touring plans. At least, not with my family.

I would recommend this....

1. Since you are already on the DDP, enjoy those restaurants and the travel to them (like take the boat to WCC).

2. make a list of the most important rides you can't miss and plan those. And also realise you probably won't do half of them.

3. Utilize the fast pass system.

4. Just stop and take everything in. Enjoy the sights, sounds, smells, etc. Forget about trying to see it all. You can't in one visit. Just relax and enjoy what you can. You will have a great time :)

You will have a great time. One important thing for you to keep in mind: It is impossible to do it all in 5 days. Relax, enjoy the time with your friend and the kids and dont rush. When it is all over, maybe you can plan another trip to do more. :)

You have gotten alot of great advice in previous posts. Mine would be to get a good guidebook (we like the Unofficial Guide to WDW) either through Amazon or your library (get the most recent edition, of course!) and just familiarize yourself with everything. Looking at maps and descriptions of the rides will be so helpful and you won't feel so overwhelmed.
I'm sure you will have a wonderful trip! :)

Sorry if I am repeating anything, but I would re-consider the days you have two TS planned. TS meals are time consuming, especially including travel times. Also, the day you do Ohana in the morning and WCC late afternoon may not be spread out enough. I know it sounds it, but we were never hungry when we thought we'd be and skipped a bunch of ADRs as a result. With the new ADR requirements, you won't be able to cancel ADRs on the day of or you will be charged, so you'd be forced to go. I would just hate having that looming over.

I Agree about table service meals...time consuming! I did that a couple years ago, and I just really felt like it took so much time and really limited my ability to do everything I wanted too...meaning, not enough time to do a ride before ADR, but too early for ADR. And the meal itself takes longer. So the last trip I has QS dining, and that worked great for us. So, yes...expect that it will take a chunk of time for each ADR. Enjoy HP...it is amazing!
We will be there from Nov 14-20th...my sister at AoA and me at Pop...can't wait!!!

I Agree about table service meals...time consuming! I did that a couple years ago, and I just really felt like it took so much time and really limited my ability to do everything I wanted too...meaning, not enough time to do a ride before ADR, but too early for ADR. And the meal itself takes longer. So the last trip I has QS dining, and that worked great for us. So, yes...expect that it will take a chunk of time for each ADR. Enjoy HP...it is amazing!
We will be there from Nov 14-20th...my sister at AoA and me at Pop...can't wait!!!

When we have someone come visit, we usually recommend QS only or no dining plan at all for the first visit. Maybe one character meal. We usually save that for the second visit. Also, like someone else said, you never know when you'll be hungry. The heat can make you feel like you'll get sick if you eat. Even now I'll go wanting to try something new I've heard about (like the mac n cheese hot dog from Fairfax), but then I can never stomach it because it's just so hot. We eat a lot more in the winter months.

I am going for the first time as well, it is really overwhelming but even more for you with little kids. A lot of the hard work is done since you have your ADRs and since you have your parks picked out you probably know the crowd levels if not easy wdw is the best and free site. I know touring plans has a dumbo or die plan and that is a plan that's all about the kids. You will save time with the meet and greets since you are eating at CP. I would order the planning DVD from Disney have the kids watch it and then ask them what rides they want to go to. You can even do the customized maps with them online. Also ask them what is the top character they want to meet. Remember with the little ones especially lots of water and sunscreen.

[I find that five days is not nearly long enough to see everything. You might end up wishing to go to a park on your 'off day' but lots of foilks like offf days to hit the pool and relax.

That said, If the 18th is an off day, then your two meals that day are fine. WCC is a menu place, so you aren't compelled to eat a biffet. Often for us, a buffet per day is more than enough.

On your AK day though I'd probably drop the TH lunch or the HB dinner. You have said laid back is your goal, then you might not feel like heading to DTD on your AK day. We usually opt to do a quck lunch and TS dinner each day- including our AK day - but we make our TS dinner at a place that's easy.

On your last day,not sure what Cr is? If it's in Ecpot youa re okay, if not, I'd skip it.

ALso, you have more TS meals than the DDP allows. With DDP you only get one TS meal per day. We find that's enough. For our QS meal we find that we often share a meal, and that is plenty. Plus you get snack, which can be something like an ice cream. For me, that's often enough of a 'lunch'. Some days we get going so much, we never havea full breakfast, and don't eat 'lunch' until 2pm- and then it's one entree among two of us or ice cream - esp if you know we have a buffet dinner that night.

Okay first, breathe.

Next, although perusal of this board can sometimes give you the idea that if you don't plan out every single second you will be lost, this is not in fact the case. You already have a basic park plan and ADRs - you are more prepared than 90% of people going to Disney. The other 10% are posting here. :lmao: Even we don't all think that touring days need to be planned out minute by minute, a lot of us feel that we have a better overall vacation if we just take rides and other things as they come in a relaxed manner.

You're going in November so crowds should be reasonable. Also, weather should not be unbearable. You probably won't be able to see everything while you're there, but if you go in with the attitude that that is okay and you'll "be back" at some other date to pick up those things you missed, then you will not leave disappointed. Try to get in one or two things every day that are "must do", and leave the rest to when you stumble upon it.

Remember it's about having fun, not having a touring plan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter