Over Planners Annonamous

Just wanted to say as a fellow sufferer, there was a program about cruising on CNBC last night and part of it showed all of the people standing in line trying to book excursions as the ship pulled up to port. My 10 yr old son says, "look at those people in line Mom, we never have to stand in those kinds of lines, cuz you plan it all. " I love that boy!:lmao:

So cute!

My DH and kiddies get a breakdown of our daily activities on the plane ride down.. my DH isnt so much into the planning like I am but he sure appreciates it.

:dance3:

Seeing as we usually travel to warm places in January/February (I live in Canada), I have learned to buy end-of-season summer clothes for my son in the next size up in July, because, well, finding shorts and swim trunks in January up here is just about impossible... ;)

I recently figured out I could just pack that stuff into a suitcase we don't use often, so it's all in one place when I go to "officially" pack (which starts 1 month ahead ... the advantage to living where there is a very cold winter - I can pack most of our holiday stuff well in advance since we won't be needing it here!)

At this point, people start looking at me strangely.

Of course, I have to make lists of what I've bought too. There is, of course, nothing wrong with that. :rolleyes1

PurdueMouse-

The Princess of Overplanning is my tag too!!! I joined in 07 and it's been in my sig ever since! My friends used to call me the "POP." Now I do it for everyone as a job and love it!

We leave on Monday on the Wonder to Alaska.....and I love some of your ideas, fellow DISers! My fave is the WDW booklets in the lanyards- yes yes YES!!! Why haven't I thought of that? :) I pour over the boards for months pre-cruise or WDW/DL trip bc it's like I'm already there!! By the time we get onboard, it's almost sad- because I know it's nearly over...! I think a TR may be in order this time so I can continue to relive each moment!

My biggest planning issue is bringing too much STUFF so I don't have to buy onboard. And as we use things up- it makes room for souvenirs!! Bottled water, snacks, surprises for the kids, alcohol, mixers (Crystal Light packets), bottles of wine for the room, laundry hamper/detergent, shoe holder for toiletries, nightlight for bathroom, small flashlight for bedside, every med you could think of.......most of it (aside from hamper & meds) gets left behind or used up!

We are also always one of the first families onboard so that my kids can have the Mickey pool all to themselves! Those crazy people outside in line at 9am...? Yep, that's us. Scored ourselves a Concierge suite last year that way!!

Keep the ideas coming- this is such a GREAT thread!

I love the summer in a suitcase idea, stealing that one!
I leave for my cruise in about 40 days and I now have everything bought, I think. unless I think of something else or my girl out grows something else;)

FE is done andmost of my "bits" that I won't need untill then are in the box. I am pretty much free and clear for the next 35 days when I will start the final push:-)laundy::laundy::laundy:)

SOoo excited. and my DD still doesn't know we are going so I have to get everything tucked away before she comes home from her dads later on. Here's hoping I dont forget somthing and she finds it:eek:

I don't know if it's planning or organization but I'm old school- I keep a ring binder with sleeves for any vacation trip (usually any trip over 2 nights). With hard copies of flights, hotels, transportation, dining, and anything else I need in the sleeves. The extra sleeves are great for holding navigators/resort maps or other "vacation paper" I may want to keep.

Well, my FE gifts are done, My FE made and I am cruising along on getting my packing organized. I think the only thing I still need to buy is a HD magnet for the door, I am hearing rumours that rm 6686 on the fantasy doesn't have a fish hook so I figure I better get a magnet just in case. I just thought I would let you see my bar graph on how I am coming. What can I say, graphs make me happy!
:dance3:
2vtdrbb.jpg

I love the graph! I don't go that far but I certainly understand how great it makes you feel. My pre-planning tips are as follows:

1. Ziplocks - I categorize everything (except clothing) and "pre-pack" in big ziplocks. I have one for our FE gifts, FE, secure tie and FE list, one for "just in case" things like aloe gel and pepto bismal (that one stays stored in the suitcase under the bed), One for kids activities, one for shower products, etc. You can see what is in them easily and then the day before, you pack them all in quickly. If you think you forgot something, it is easy to check without scavenging through your whole suitcase. We re-use them on vaca to keep snacks dry and critter free and then for the last wet bathing suit trip home.
2. One clear folder with all travel documents, boarding pass, reservation confirms, etc. in order by need (i.e. boarding pass 1st, hotel ressie 2nd, embark docs and passport 3rd, etc). My phone is replacing most of that now, but I still like the folder so I can check and recheck that I have everything set up before we go.
3. I have a little notebook that I start when I book the trip. It has one page for questions to ask, one for things I want to remember to do on board (I add to it as I read them here), one page for things I need to buy close to the trip (sunblock, prescriptions), one page for to-dos like hold mail and notify neighbors and one with all the details that I need to reference (date of sailing and return, room #, ressie #)

A little obsessive, yes, but every time I open that notebook, I get excited for vacation!

Yesterday at work I printed out my Excel spreadsheet with all our dinner ressies and the park ours. I forgot to grab it from the printer and one of my bosses got it first And handed it to me. I was a little embarrassed but he and his family love Disney quite a bit too so if anyone at my job understands, it's him, lol!

I love this. I too need to be part of OPA.

I keep all vacation related email in their own mail folder. This includes confirmations and reservations
I start planning way too early
I have lots of lists. Things to buy. Things to pack. Things to do
Like a clean house to come home to
Make sure our calendar is clear for a few days before and after travel
Put addresses of destinations into my GPS ahead of time
Figure out where to stop for gas if needed
Try to pack early but that doesn't always work as DW usually removes things from the suitcase to wear so she ends up doing last minute laundry
Pack all essential toiletries together & leave them packed after returning

That's all I can think of for now. We've both jumped out of bed to write down things to do, pack or buy & I can't sleep if I don't do this

I love the graph! I don't go that far but I certainly understand how great it makes you feel. My pre-planning tips are as follows:

1. Ziplocks - I categorize everything (except clothing) and "pre-pack" in big ziplocks. I have one for our FE gifts, FE, secure tie and FE list, one for "just in case" things like aloe gel and pepto bismal (that one stays stored in the suitcase under the bed), One for kids activities, one for shower products, etc. You can see what is in them easily and then the day before, you pack them all in quickly. If you think you forgot something, it is easy to check without scavenging through your whole suitcase. We re-use them on vaca to keep snacks dry and critter free and then for the last wet bathing suit trip home.
2. One clear folder with all travel documents, boarding pass, reservation confirms, etc. in order by need (i.e. boarding pass 1st, hotel ressie 2nd, embark docs and passport 3rd, etc). My phone is replacing most of that now, but I still like the folder so I can check and recheck that I have everything set up before we go.
3. I have a little notebook that I start when I book the trip. It has one page for questions to ask, one for things I want to remember to do on board (I add to it as I read them here), one page for things I need to buy close to the trip (sunblock, prescriptions), one page for to-dos like hold mail and notify neighbors and one with all the details that I need to reference (date of sailing and return, room #, ressie #)

A little obsessive, yes, but every time I open that notebook, I get excited for vacation!

OH MY GOSH, YOU MUST BE MY LONG LOST TWIN!!!! I cracked up when I read your post. I do exactly the same things and the document folder is my favorite (yes, I also label them and put them in order) I read your post to my husband and said "see, it's not just me!!"

We have made a universal vacation packing list which lists each person in the house individually. ....

So glad to see I'm not the only one..... ours is electronic (of course) and I tweak the "master" list for each trip - but that way, I have a starting point and won't forget any of the essentials!

And like you, I throw a copy in the suitcase for checking on return, which my kids think is way over the top...... But, we've never left a treasured stuffed animal or blanket behind yet !!

I am definitely a planner and love the anticipation of our trips. On our family cruises, I keep the extended family informed and in the loop. I also provide a countdown. When it comes to on-line registration, I do the whole family's - they love that they don't have to do it. They call me the King Family Cruise Director!

I then keep a binder with organized sections: cruise reservation info, airfare, ground transportation, excursions, tipping, etc.

Any deals or things I think the family should have I pass along. Some take the advice, some don't but the ones who don't wish they had when we get there! Like, waterproof lanyards for KTTW cards, phone, sunscreen, etc.

I make t-shirts for everyone in the family! This year, I am making everyone a Christmas ornament (cruising on Fantasy week of Christmas).

When I travel, I have a portfolio that is clear plastic with dividers to keep important documents, like: passports, air itinerary, ground transportation, hotel confirmations, etc. I keep this separate from my purse and this comes in extremely handy!! I even decorated it Disney! The portfolio is the size a #10 envelope can fit in. Easy to carry and store.

I also give everyone in the family a copy of our full itinerary with air ressies, hotel, ground transfer, cruise info, etc. and include all our cell phone numbers and everyone's emergency contact numbers. I also include everyone's passport numbers. Each family can give this document to their emergency contact and everyone has everything they need!

I absolutely love planning! My brother-in-law who travels the world says he loves to vacation with us becuase everything goes so smoothly. Best compliment ever!!!

Newbie here and I'm definitely an overplanner with some OCD and anxiety thrown in. I don't do anything without a list! And since I'm a CPA - I put everything in a spreadsheet!

I have been using Google Docs and my Gmail account more and more for my planning, so that I don't have the notes on one given computer but instead can access it from any computer, my phone, wherever.

When I start planning, and am just collecting details, I start an e-mail and just cut and paste links, notes, and ideas into it and save it as a draft. I just open it and throw thoughts into it as I surf the net and gather info.

When I start to get more solid plans going, I begin a more serious document, like a spreadsheet. For instance for WDW, I make a kind of calendar view of the vacation, with a block for each day. At the top is the date, then I have headings broken down into Morning, Afternoon, and Evening. We park hop a lot, so this way we can address not just meals, but which parks we plan to be in on a given day. I plug in park data, including park hours and EMH info if any, and at the bottom I will put a list of any particular attractions or activities we want to prioritize, but aren't necessarily things that are "booked". For instance we may list "Try a Dole Whip float" or "See the Nemo show if the lines aren't too long."

This kind of planning helps give us structure to our trip, but also some flexibility to be spontaneous once we are in the moment. We may plan to spend a half day at World Showcase and then hop to DHS in the afternoon, but on the day of we may decide we would rather stay at Epcot the rest of the day--with the little sheet, we know at a glance if there is any compelling reason to stick with the original plan or not and can reason it out ("We have dinner at Brown Derby tonight, so we need to make it over to DHS before 7pm, or else reschedule for later in the week.") This is our idea of a good time--plan plan plan dream scheme, then go with the flow of the day when we're there. :)

We are taking the same approach with our cruise. We have a couple excursions planned, and have read the navigators and made a rough plan of the activities we want to do. We will be open to changing our mind or adapting our plans once we're in the groove.

wow, just wow. i am in the presence of greats. i am a planner but i think i need higher goals. i may need to take a computer class just so i can learn to make a speadsheet for my disney trips. i just use a pen and paper and have expandable folder to keep all my things organized. one thing i always do is have tip money in envelopes clearly marked for who its for. knowing its all set aside- i dont have to worry. though thats more for the hotel and the transportation than the cruise. i haven't been on a cruise in about 14 years. looking forward to it and trying not to overpack. list do help with that. how is everyone seeing menus and navigators from the ships? the stickies in the FAQ section are blank. i need to go to bed but now i want to tweak my lists.

kate

Well I thought I was an overplanner, until I read alot of your posts, but giving me ideas .... hmmmmm :)

I've been sending my wife a countdown e-mail everyday for the past year for our cruise coming up in six days

I've had a schedule on my spreadsheet for our sea/land trip ever since I made our ADR reservations at WDW 6 months ago.

I have a binder with all of our reservations, menus and info from this website, allears.net, mom's advice panel, etc

I've already decided what I am eating at which restaurant.

I have a list of everything to pack, that I use for every trip we take..I have many lists :)

Scott

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter