• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Over Planners Annonamous

I prefer to start packing two weeks ahead. (Of course, I start planning long before that!) I leave my suitcases in my room because, despite "The List," which has been refined over the 8 years of traveling with kids...it never fails that I spring out of bed late at night to pack something I forgot. After about 2 weeks of this, I manage to remember everything. ; )

This past cruise, it was my son's birth certificate, of all things. The Friday before, I realized I had NO idea where it was! We literally searched through every paper in the house. I thought I was going to have to leave without him! (He's 5. We would have missed him ; )

I guess that makes me an ineffective overplanner!

I love to read about over planners and obsessive types like me. I, too, spend tons of time mostly lurking on DIS, making lists, researching online, etc. The strangest thing I do, which my husband used to hate but has recently come around to my way of thinking, is the house must be spotless before we leave for vacation. That way we always come home to a clean house! We're already bummed to have left the world of Disney, so the clean house makes it a little easier to handle.

We are all a little obsessive on here right... I have 4 big trips coming up over the next 6 months and have everyhing planned from air to car to hotel timetables of what we are doing etc.
I even have our day at St Thomas down to thw min since we are taking the ferry to St John and I dont want to miss the boat

For WDW I make a spreadsheet with the days of the week, the park to visit each day, park hours, extra magic hours, shows, parades, closed attractions, rides to go on and in what order, snacks, CS/TS meals and where to get them all listed in order by area of the park.

When it's a cruise I scout out all the Personal Navigators for the cruise and make a list of all the activities, movies etc we will do. I have my shore excursions picked, magnets made, journal created, FE gifts created. We always include a Disney Park with our cruises so it's always a double planning pleasure trove for me.... I LOVE to plan!!!

Then... I make a powerpoint presentation full of pictures to show each ride, snack, restaurant, parade etc... that we will see. I include pictures of our resort, airplane, rental car etc...

All my friends laugh at me and make jokes at my expense. :lmao:

Admitting I have a problem is the first step!!! :rotfl2:

I buy milk boxes for my kids so that we have milk for bed time and cereal when we get back and I don't have to rush to the store

Oooo, thanks for that post. I had forgotten about those. You just helped me out tremendously!!

For WDW I make a spreadsheet with the days of the week, the park to visit each day, park hours, extra magic hours, shows, parades, closed attractions, rides to go on and in what order, snacks, CS/TS meals and where to get them all listed in order by area of the park. Next trip is first using platinum package. It took SO MUCH PLANNING to put all the included activities in some semblance of order. It drove hubby NUTS that I was on the computer or phone with the planning coordinator SO OFTEN to finalize the plans HALF A YEAR OUT!!

When it's a cruise I scout out all the Personal Navigators for the cruise and make a list of all the activities, movies etc we will do. I have my shore excursions picked, magnets made, journal created, FE gifts created. We always include a Disney Park with our cruises so it's always a double planning pleasure trove for me.... I LOVE to plan!!!I love to plan too... think I'm bored when I'm not! I SO relate!

Then... I make a powerpoint presentation full of pictures to show each ride, snack, restaurant, parade etc... that we will see. I include pictures of our resort, airplane, rental car etc...
I seriously want to borrow this idea, just to add to my own excitement (aka craziness)

I love to read about over planners and obsessive types like me. I, too, spend tons of time mostly lurking on DIS, making lists, researching online, etc. The strangest thing I do, which my husband used to hate but has recently come around to my way of thinking, is the house must be spotless before we leave for vacation. That way we always come home to a clean house! We're already bummed to have left the world of Disney, so the clean house makes it a little easier to handle. The toilet MUST have the blue cleaning fluid in it... if someone uses the toilet before we're out the door, they have to reclean it. I want a fresh smelling bathroom when I return. As far as cleaning prior to going, I do too, BUT dust must distribute from the A/C or heat while we're gone 'cause there's some on stuff when we return. Vacuum lines on the carpet remain though. The carpeting will be going once the kids age a bit... can NEVER get a carpet clean enough in my opinion!
I lurk too!

Maybe not a SUPER over planner, but I do find my self to be a planner...

-I make lists of things to pack and a list of stuff that needs to be done before we leave.
-I research the hotels/cruiseship/parks that we will be in/on/visiting extensively, looking at maps, youtube videos, reading trip reports etc...
-I have a special folder that I keep all important papers with reservation numbers, insurance info, tickets, emergancy numbers etc in. This comes with my on vacation too. :)
-When we go to disney parks I plan out what we are doing each day (although we don't always stick to it, I like to have a plan)

I love my lists!:love: When I do something not on my list, I actually add it, just so that I can feel the joy of crossing it off.

Wondering, am I the only one who finds the menus on line so that I can plan what I am going to eat at each MDR? I might change my mind once I get there, but it makes me so happy while I am waiting for my trip!

Im guilty! I do both of these things. Glad to know I'm not alone.

For WDW I make a spreadsheet with the days of the week, the park to visit each day, park hours, extra magic hours, shows, parades, closed attractions, rides to go on and in what order, snacks, CS/TS meals and where to get them all listed in order by area of the park.

When visiting WDW I do the same. I plan each day, what time we will be where, where we will eat, etc down to the hr!

When it's a cruise I scout out all the Personal Navigators for the cruise and make a list of all the activities, movies etc we will do. I have my shore excursions picked, magnets made, journal created, FE gifts created. We always include a Disney Park with our cruises so it's always a double planning pleasure trove for me.... I LOVE to plan!!!

I love to plan plan plan. I often wonder if I will be disappointed because I plan so much, but havent been yet.Then... I make a powerpoint presentation full of pictures to show each ride, snack, restaurant, parade etc... that we will see. I include pictures of our resort, airplane, rental car etc...

Havent done this yet, lol

All my friends laugh at me and make jokes at my expense. :lmao:

Admitting I have a problem is the first step!!! :rotfl2:

We all suffer from OCVPD, obsessive compulsive vacation planning disorder. But if I have to suffer from something, let it be this!

Thank you all so much for joining me here in OPA.

I too clean house before - you mean some people don't?
I groove on the colour coding too,
I'm totally stealing the power point idea,
I add to the list so I can cross off more stuff &
Yes I read the menus,
and no I don't know what to make for dinner most nights either

but the one thing I have heard that I most want to steal - One family I know of has a 3D wire frame of their vehical on their computer and use it to figure out where to put what in the car! I SO TOTALLY want to get my hands on that program....

thanks all for the laugh

Hi, my name is __________
It's been 2 years since my last cruise. On my honor, or I may be forced to go on a last minute trip! (borrowed from Nemo :fish:

I do extensive research when I go to a city or any vacation spot. I'm going to Seattle in 10 days for our Alaskan cruise. I researched all public transportation. I've already planned our routes down to the times, transfers and how to pay. I know what the admission costs are for all tourist spots.

I keep a spread sheet/time sheet with all reservation numbers, phone numbers, addresses and fees.

I scan all of our passports travel docs and put it on a jump drive and give it to a trusted friend or relative. I make sure I have all credit card phone numbers in our phones in case of theft so I can act quickly to stop a card.

Planning is a fun challenge for me. The Princess of Overplanning princess:

:jumping1:

Hi, my name is __________
It's been 2 years since my last cruise. On my honor, or I may be forced to go on a last minute trip! (borrowed from Nemo :fish:

I do extensive research when I go to a city or any vacation spot. I'm going to Seattle in 10 days for our Alaskan cruise. I researched all public transportation. I've already planned our routes down to the times, transfers and how to pay. I know what the admission costs are for all tourist spots.

I keep a spread sheet/time sheet with all reservation numbers, phone numbers, addresses and fees.

I scan all of our passports travel docs and put it on a jump drive and give it to a trusted friend or relative. I make sure I have all credit card phone numbers in our phones in case of theft so I can act quickly to stop a card.

Planning is a fun challenge for me. The Princess of Overplanning princess:

:jumping1:

All good ideas! I especially like putting your credit card phone numbers in your cell in case of theft! I am totally stealing that idea! Thank you!

Wendy

I do the same exact thing!:rotfl:
I have to because I am from the Netherlands and have to plan because our time is limited, read 10 days :lmao:
We are also cruising on the Fantasy the week before, and I only plan the dinner's, palo and remy and request a dinner rotation, and book excursions..that's it;)

My spreadsheet for WDW also contains park hours, EMH, show times, parades en the most important ADR times, reservation numbers and credits for the DDP. And I also highlight in color which show we are going to see that night, and which park to go to each day........just thinking about it makes me want to plan another trip haha because I love to do it!
I am now suffering from planographobia (fear of nothing left to plan):rotfl2:

Many people think i'm nuts but I like to know what I am doing because I don't want to miss a thing because I want to see everything!

Guilty! Our cruise isn't until March, but I've been planning/researching/making lists since we booked in December!

Me too!
You know we are on the same cruise and what bugs me is that our B itinerary navigators won't come out until those cruises start in November.
I can't wait to look at them, hear reports back from those cruisers on what the dining rotations are, etc.

I too color-code my family calendar. I do though know what I am cooking each evening because I make up my weekly menu a week before.

On my computer I have a DCL folder and have different documents in it labeled, dining, ports, menus, packing, FE, etc. As I find info on this site and copy it over to a document. I also prepare a planner to take with me so I don't forget things.

sue said:
I also do our laundry up the day before we come home, so everything is clean in the suitcases and this way, we can just put it all away when we arrive back at home :)

THANK YOU!!!

People think I'm bonkers for doing this, too. When I get home (albeit its just a 2-hr drive to Tampa from PC), I don't want to do laundry. None. It's so worth it to me to spend the money in the ship to do the laundry & just come home & put everything away. (No, it doesn't take long to do this at all & I've never ever felt like I'm spending minutes away from my vacation.)

At home, I love coming home to a spotless house (as spotless as it can be with our cats still being there), an empty dishwasher, an empty & CLEAN fridge.....the list goes on!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

LISTs are my big thing, and for longer trips, I like to have all my hotels pre-booked out…no stopping in the middle of no-where in a roach motel (nothing wrong with that, but we did it the 1st few years of being married and now that we have a 5 year old, the standards moved up a wee bit…to holiday inn.) All transportation/flights and kennels pre-booked months in advance with insurance (in case he deploys). I normally (depending on length and driving miles) have a travel binder that has ALL trip information including hard copies of driving directions, important information, hotel info, geocaching stops (goal is one every hour, but we usually can’t find them anyway, but it’s the stop that’s important), and must see/stop info.

You should have seen us when we moved….the drive down from New Mexico to Washington DC in 2 cars one towing a boat, 3 humans, 2 dogs, 2 small birds, 1 ticked off cat and a cactus!!! (Oddly the cactus is the one that saved my life while driving…the blood hound decided she REALLY wanted to sit in my lap while I was in the middle of some stressful traffic while we were driving through one of the larger cities. The only thing that stopped the dog from ending up in the front and us in an accident was that cactus.) I had 4 months to plan that mil. move out and it was interesting!

Oh yeah and the house HAS TO BE CLEAN…I want to come back to a clean, stress free house. :upsidedow

I clean the house before leaving but above all clean sheets. The stark reality is no one will be changing those sheets but me when we get home.;)

wishuponastarforever said:
I clean the house before leaving but above all clean sheets. The stark reality is no one will be changing those sheets but me when we get home.;)

Wait, the room steward doesn't do that anymore when we get home? Major : (

I like to have clean clothes when we arrive home, too. It's one less thing to do!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter