Over Door Shoe Holder Fix?

kpadalik

DIS Veteran
I know that we aren't allowed to use the over door shoe holder/organizers anymore because the hooks scratch the doors. However, what if there was some sort of padding or cloth between the hook and the door? For example, I was thinking of putting a sock between the hook and where it hangs on the bathroom door, therefore providing a soft barrier and preventing any scratching. Has anyone done this?

I know that we aren't allowed to use the over door shoe holder/organizers anymore because the hooks scratch the doors. However, what if there was some sort of padding or cloth between the hook and the door? For example, I was thinking of putting a sock between the hook and where it hangs on the bathroom door, therefore providing a soft barrier and preventing any scratching. Has anyone done this?

We cruised before they made this rule change, but one idea I saw out there was to use two shoe organizers and instead of using the hooks, put string between them and have one on each side of the door. Double the storage and no hooks to scratch the paint. :cool1:

We cruised before they made this rule change, but one idea I saw out there was to use two shoe organizers and instead of using the hooks, put string between them and have one on each side of the door. Double the storage and no hooks to scratch the paint. :cool1:

This is a great idea! I have always used squares of felt that I bought at a craft store. But, now I will use the string idea when I cruise with other carriers.

I tied a wood dowel to the top of the over the organizer and then wired both ends. See below for the finished product hanging in the bathroom on the Fantasy.

Wow awesome idea! I am going to try one or both of these since we have 2 cabins in April! Thanks for sharing.

These other ideas are great.

The problem with the sock or other padding is that it then puts the holders sitting that much higher and damage (potentially) occurs to the door frame rather than the door. It's not just the door but also the frames that get scratched from over-the-door hangers. So go with one of these other ideas.

Enjoy your cruise!

Another problem with adding a sock (or something else) under the holder hooks is the close fit of the door in the frame. The constant pressure of something typically not there can cause the door to be forced out of alignment.

I took my over the door organizer and used bread ties, or you can use zip ties and tied it to a coat hanger and hang the hanger inside the bathroom on the rob hook on the wall. Worked perfect! :thumbsup2. You can hang it in the closet when you are not using it, or just leave it in the bathroom like we did.

Thanks to ideas we had seen here on the Dis, DH was able to put together this contraption for our last cruise.

945429_10201993206655864_726520833_n.jpg

I like this idea because I like the shoe holder to be outside the bathroom to put your stuff in as you walk in the door, (sunglasses, KTTW card, etc). Plus I like it on the outside so that you can use your stuff in either side of the bathroom that would not be in use.

The only problem I can see with this is if the weight was on one side more than the other, it would pull the shoe holder down on the one side, right? I guess this could work if you make sure to use both sides.

We really use our shoe holder and especially when there will be 4 people in our room this December.

I found on the Fantasy in March that ours wasn't really being used too much (go figure!). I'm looking at different hanging jewelry holders. We seem to use the organizer for smaller items IE: KTTW cards, med bottles, chargers, etc. anyway so the smaller size organizer will be o.k. (I think). I've seen a couple at The Container Store that I'll pick up and "test drive" here at home before making a decision for our cruise in March.

I found on the Fantasy in March that ours wasn't really being used too much (go figure!). I'm looking at different hanging jewelry holders. We seem to use the organizer for smaller items IE: KTTW cards, med bottles, chargers, etc. anyway so the smaller size organizer will be o.k. (I think). I've seen a couple at The Container Store that I'll pick up and "test drive" here at home before making a decision for our cruise in March.

FWIW - I bought some smaller ones at Dollar Tree that I used to use for our 3-night cruises. They fit perfectly inside the 2 Gallon Ziplocs and lay flat in the bottom of a larger carry-on. They have rope hangers.

I also used one inside the shower and just threw it away the last morning.

I like the suction cup idea. I wonder how much weight it would hold.

I was wondering about the wreath hangers, too, but I have seen them scratch painted metal doors, so I was a little hesitant. I do like the suction cups - great idea!

Thank you all for so many great alternative ideas! I'm going to figure out which one will work best for us! Thanks again for all the help!!!

Ok, newbie question...why do I need one of these? Cuz if the Dis says I need one, then clearly I do, but what do I do with it?:confused3

Ok, newbie question...why do I need one of these? Cuz if the Dis says I need one, then clearly I do, but what do I do with it?:confused3

I use mine (qty 2 - one inside the bathroom & one outside the bathroom) to hold most of our (my :rolleyes1) clutter.

The one inside is for toiletries, make-up, hair brushes, ponytail bands, hair product, sanitary products, etc. The one outside the bathroom door I use to hold snacks (raisins, GF pretzels), sunscreen, anything I take on excursions, and other stuff that I can't think of at the moment (but is apparently completely necessary to my existence on a cruise :lmao:).

It is just for organization. If you don't think you will need it, don't bother. But if it will make your life easier, then get one or two. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter