out of curiosity...

We have a complicated situation with a blended family of six, with kids on both sides. My DW and I try to get away when we can and the kids are with their other parents. Sometimes that includes WDW and will in the future include adult only DCL cruises.

We balance other family vacations and experiences with our kids with the desire to spend time as a couple. It just so happens that my DW's love of water and sun and my love of Disney can be satisfied with DCL cruises and long weekends to WDW.

She is gaining a strong appreciation for Disney magic and while we have taken our blended family on a DCL cruise, the thought of the entire family at WDW is a bit overwhelming to her for now.

I might be one of the odd balls as next month DH and I will be on our first Disney cruise on the Magic (3 night) for our anniversary without our kids. BUT we also have our second already booked and paid for (7-night) with our kids in September on the Fantasy. Am I sad we are going without? yes and no. No because its our anniversary and we are spending it how we want and grandma is excited to have them. Yes, because it is Disney and my 4 1/2 year old loves Disney princesses. But she also knows she gets her chance later this year. This actually will be our first trip anywhere without our child (we are a blended family where 3 other older kids came from my previous marriage and we have our surprise youngest together) and have been married 6 years and together 10.

I might be one of the odd balls as next month DH and I will be on our first Disney cruise on the Magic (3 night) for our anniversary without our kids. BUT we also have our second already booked and paid for (7-night) with our kids in September on the Fantasy. Am I sad we are going without? yes and no. No because its our anniversary and we are spending it how we want and grandma is excited to have them. Yes, because it is Disney and my 4 1/2 year old loves Disney princesses. But she also knows she gets her chance later this year. This actually will be our first trip anywhere without our child (we are a blended family where 3 other older kids came from my previous marriage and we have our surprise youngest together) and have been married 6 years and together 10.

We are sailing on the Magic together! I just saw your signature and realized we are both a month and a day away.

I wouldn't cruise DCL or travel to WDW without my kids, but only because the value of those places to me is how much my kids enjoy them. DH & I take a vacation every year, just the two of us, but Disney doesn't even make the Top 20 list of places we would choose for our couple trip. Heck, it doesn't even make the Top 100.

I want to take a moment and applaud all of us for being able to share our experiences and opinions. After I wrote my post I was affraid it was going to turn ugly. I am glad we are all able to discuss as adults.
Everyone has a different opinion :) It really seems to me like the biggest difference is do you love Disney on your own, or do you do it because of your children. Those that love Disney regardless of kids seem to be much more likely to travel solo :D

why does it matter what other people would choose to do?

I don't even have kids at all and just finished my 18th Disney cruise.

It doesn't really matter, I was just curious how many people actually vacationed in WDW and and DCL with out their children. I think it's great that you enjoy DCL. I personall love it but would have a hard time sailing on one and leaving my boys behind. Atleast for now while they are young and love it so much. When they get older if they do not wan to go that is their choice and we will travel with out them.

For us, DCL without kids was a very enjoyable 3 night cruise. It also allowed us to go "off-season" on a ship that was not sold out and was also much cheaper (January). It would have been harder to go on a longer one without them. I couldn't imagine WDW without them unless it was just a trip for Food and Wine at Epcot.

Hi!
First - my husband and I - we don't have children but go to Disneyland often, in fact, we were married there! I love all things Disney related, and my husband is fascinated by the history of Walt Disney and what he built. (obscure WD history - my username: Walt owned a 1926 Moon!! (which is a car;)))

Late April we are going to the east coast for the first time, to USO, then 7 days on the Fantasy, then 8 days at WDW!! And we cannot wait. I guess I just wanted to point out that Disney isn't just for children - that was never WD's intention! And also, for the record, unless they are really poorly behaved, we rarely notice the children at the parks because our trips are kind of about us!

Second - my brother and his wife - they have been to DL a couple of times without their kids. In fact, *gasp* - they have yet to take their boys!! My nephews just turned 6 & 8 yo, and my bro and SIL are JUST now considering taking them to DL. There are a few reasons for this - the main one being that they believe the boys simply were not old enough for it to be enjoyable for everyone (mom and dad included!), I know that some will disagree with that, but being in Canada it is a lot more expensive for us to travel to the US so going to DL is a pretty big deal - they wanted to wait until their boys would actually remember the trip. So.....they leave the kids at home with the grandparents for a week, go to DL without them and have a blast :cutie:

When I was little and living in so cal, I found out my mother would go DL on the weekends without us. I remember flipping out. Telling her "how dare you!" Lol now I know why she wouldn't tell me

How about this one: my DH and I are going on the Dream this summer. This will be our first Disney cruise, although we've been to WDW many, many times with our DD. She's now 23 and got married 6 months ago. When she found out that we were going on DCL, she asked if she and her husband could come with us! Never could I imagine leaving any young children behind while on a Disney vacation, and I certainly never dreamed that my married daughter and her new husband would want to do a Disney trip with us either! Needless to say, they are going to join us and we're thrilled. They also live about 600 miles from us, which makes it even more special. It's all about what Disney means to us.....loads and loads of fond memories. I guarantee that if we told her we were going anywhere else (and we've traveled to lots of other great places with her), she never would have suggested they join us. Disney is just our "place."

We cruised for the first time this past summer for a week on RCCL. A week was a bit too long for us. This year it's a few days at Universal and than onto the Dream for some relaxation.

I get it!!! We just got back last night from a WDW trip without the kids. Granted our kids are all adults at 27, 30 and 31 but when they were young we brought them all the time to WDW and on DCL (we took them on the Maiden Voyage of the Magic back in 1998 and were hooked ever since. They are Platinum). They have been on many trips with us but my husband and I also have taken several WDW and DCL trips without them. It is a whole different experience and we love it!! Our adult kids also come with us on DCL cruises and our son and DIL and got engaged on the Fantasy a few years ago when we all were onboard. We are new grandparents this year and we can't wait to continue the tradition of loving Disney when all our adult kids and their spouses and new grandchildren go to WDW and DCL this August. Can't wait to see Disney through our little granddaughters' eyes. Everyone is so very excited to being doing WDW and DCL together.

Our kids always understood that we needed time for ourselves and know all too well my love for Disney so never begrudged us our trips to Disney without them. We have celebrated our 20th, 25th, 30th and 35th anniversaries on DCL without the kids. Had our honeymoon at the Poly back in 1979.

I'll also do WDW and DCL without my husband. Just did the the Panama Canal cruise with my friend and have been to WDW a few times without him.

MJ

Last edited:
If I planned a Disney cruise without my kids they would be absolutely devastated. I imagine I could go to Disneyland without them, but we live close and go all the time, so that wouldn't be such a big deal. If I felt like I needed to hide my destination from the kids, I just wouldn't go without them. I'd rather go somewhere else, or on a different cruise line.

My sister and I took a cruise together on the Dream in 2012. Now this wasn't planned. My boss used to own DVC and he had booked the cruise on points. About three weeks out, he ended up not being able to make it due to an emergency. There was no way to get his points back so he offered for me to go. My sister is a very dedicated SAM so I asked her to join me. At the time, the kids were three and five and had never been on a Disney cruise. We took them on their first cruise on the Fantasy two years later in October of 2014. It was an awesome trip with extended family, and the kids ask auntie (me) often when she's taking them on another cruise!

Well, fast forward to a week ago. I've been under a lot of stress at work and trying to help plan my son's wedding on 10/15/16. With so much going on, I decided it would be nice to take a break after the nuptials. Soooo, I ended up booking a cruise on the Wonder sailing out of San Juan next January and have invited my sister. I'm not gonna lie, I feel really guilty! My own children are all young adults who won't be going either, and even that makes me feel guilty. But the little ones, now that's a tough one. We're obviously not going to lie about where we're going so I'm just not sure how we're going to handle breaking the news although we're not going to mention it until last minute. Frankly, the only thing that's going to ease the guilt is to book another cruise for the whole family while on board!

Here we are on the way to the ship last trip. I mean, look at those faces!:(

IMG_0303-M.jpg

Last edited:
I have never read about people taking a DCL cruise and leaving non-adult children behind. I doubt this happens very often; however, it would be cheaper to leave the kids at home. Hmmm, maybe their on to something? :)

We do. Have 2 kids and our second cruise on dcl is in May. Frankly, it's too expensive the way we sail to bring the kids. Additionally, we as a family need space. My kids would go nuts being on a ship. Does that mean I'm a bad parent? Depriving my kids of Disney? No :). They have been to the parks 3x in 4 months on vacation. Maybe one day we will bring them on the boat but I suspect it's when they are older.

We do. Have 2 kids and our second cruise on dcl is in May. Frankly, it's too expensive the way we sail to bring the kids. Additionally, we as a family need space. My kids would go nuts being on a ship. Does that mean I'm a bad parent? Depriving my kids of Disney? No :). .
How old are your kids?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter