out of curiosity...

Additionally, we as a family need space. My kids would go nuts being on a ship. Does that mean I'm a bad parent? Depriving my kids of Disney? No :). They have been to the parks 3x in 4 months on vacation. Maybe one day we will bring them on the boat but I suspect it's when they are older.

Maybe the people who don't understand going without their kids have little one only...? I get it. My teens were a little 'cooped up' on DCL. Honestly, they did not Love it. Last time they cruised, DS 1 and 2 were 14 and 12, which especially then, is a very awkward age on DCL. Teens and Tweens just were not into it. DS then 5 didn't want to be in a 'little kid' place while no one else in the family was. Luckily for me, the older ones took youngest and explored the ship and did some younger kid activities for his sake (and enjoyed an excuse to act not-so-cool, I think) but none of them has ever asked to go back. We go to WDW for a week every year and they prefer that or a beach trip to cruising. Clearly mine were not the only unimpressed older kids, bc DCL has been really trying to get that age more interested lately.

I love DCL bc of the ease and convenience of all in one place -- REST for MOM!

Upcoming trip, Ds8 is coming with DH and I. I think at 8 he will view the clubs more as Fun and Opportunity than being sent away, like he did last time. I would like to take my older sons again. DCL seems to be trying to remedy the situation with teens now, and since they are more grown up now, they would probably like the teen areas and meeting others (girls :love:) with some ice-breaking scheduled activities. Still, since they aren't interested, it is too $$ to force. Just this morning, they asked about WDW for this summer. They know I am planning a cruise without them this Spring and didn't even mention it.

Maybe the people who don't understand going without their kids have little one only...? I get it. My teens were a little 'cooped up' on DCL. Honestly, they did not Love it. Last time they cruised, DS 1 and 2 were 14 and 12, which especially then, is a very awkward age on DCL. Teens and Tweens just were not into it. DS then 5 didn't want to be in a 'little kid' place while no one else in the family was. Luckily for me, the older ones took youngest and explored the ship and did some younger kid activities for his sake (and enjoyed an excuse to act not-so-cool, I think) but none of them has ever asked to go back. We go to WDW for a week every year and they prefer that or a beach trip to cruising. Clearly mine were not the only unimpressed older kids, bc DCL has been really trying to get that age more interested lately.

I love DCL bc of the ease and convenience of all in one place -- REST for MOM!

Upcoming trip, Ds8 is coming with DH and I. I think at 8 he will view the clubs more as Fun and Opportunity than being sent away, like he did last time. I would like to take my older sons again. DCL seems to be trying to remedy the situation with teens now, and since they are more grown up now, they would probably like the teen areas and meeting others (girls :love:) with some ice-breaking scheduled activities. Still, since they aren't interested, it is too $$ to force. Just this morning, they asked about WDW for this summer. They know I am planning a cruise without them this Spring and didn't even mention it.
I think that's a good theory. We cruised with my daughter when she was 18mo, 2 years, and going again just before she turns 3, and while she loves it, and we love taking her, there are definitely some challenges to traveling with an infant/toddler. That's part of the reason we booked a cruise for just us this fall, where we can experience the magic without constantly catering to a toddler's whims.

I love my daughter to death, but traveling with her can be quite the handful, and not as much relaxation for Mommy! :D

5 and 16. :). So we've got a big gap in ages to contend with. That adds complexity.
IMHO, I think you should take your children on Disney cruises with you. I know it costs more money, but they are only little once. I think it is odd that you don't. The 5 year old can spend time in Oceaneers, and the 16 year old in the Vibe. Just my 2¢.

MUN

IMHO, I think you should take your children on Disney cruises with you. I know it costs more money, but they are only little once. I think it is odd that you don't. The 5 year old can spend time in Oceaneers, and the 16 year old in the Vibe. Just my 2¢.

MUN
You are more than welcome to your opinion. As I've said, Both kids have seen the Disney "Magic" several times this year. I understand "only little once" as I do have a 16 year old going on 30. I cherish the days of princess dresses and tinkerbell. If the kids expressed a strong desire to take a cruise I would likely find something that worked for them However, they express interest in other vacations at this time.

I wouldn't cruise DCL or travel to WDW without my kids, but only because the value of those places to me is how much my kids enjoy them. DH & I take a vacation every year, just the two of us, but Disney doesn't even make the Top 20 list of places we would choose for our couple trip. Heck, it doesn't even make the Top 100.

This. For us Disney is about seeing things through their eyes and seeing their face light up. DH and I take two trips a year sans kids and Disney or WDW or any other place filled with kids does not even come on the radar.

Hawaii, yes, spa & golfing, oh yes, skiing, absolutely, New York, all day long.

We do vacations that otherwise would be challenging with little ones. For us, it's our time to reconnect.

I wouldn't do cruises without the kids in general because of the delayed communication should something happen back home. That scares me.

This. For us Disney is about seeing things through their eyes and seeing their face light up. DH and I take two trips a year sans kids and Disney or WDW or any other place filled with kids does not even come on the radar.

Hawaii, yes, spa & golfing, oh yes, skiing, absolutely, New York, all day long.

We do vacations that otherwise would be challenging with little ones. For us, it's our time to reconnect.

I wouldn't do cruises without the kids in general because of the delayed communication should something happen back home. That scares me.

I think the difference is whether someone is the kind of person who visits & enjoys Disney parks and Disney cruise for the kids and through the eyes of the kids like you mention, or if they're doing it for themselves. DH and I do it for ourselves and believe me that you can absolutely reconnect there! :) But we certainly also had our trips of enjoying it with our kids too as almost all of my Disney parks trips except one per year included our children.

For us, we wouldn't do spa/golfing, New York, or Hawaii at all with or without kids as we have no interest in it. Skiing would absolutely include (& has included) the kids though! We visited Las Vegas and New Orleans once each and that was plenty as it's not our thing. But we'll gladly visit Disney (& Universal) parks and do cruises (Disney and Royal Caribbean) without the kids again.

People and family dynamics are different, but Disney obviously has a large child-free audience. Disney parks without kids really is a whole new world and a different experience!

My husband and I are taking our very first cruise to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary this may, we are taking a 3 day trip on the Disney Dream. We will be also be spending a couple of days at the parks before and after the cruise? Our kids ages 16 and 14 will be staying home with our parents as they will still be in school at this time. We have taken a few quick trips to the world in the past just the 2 of us, it is a totally different experience.

We have been taking our kids every year though since 2006 they kind of grew up with disney and a few years they have gotten to go twice. So in my case no I don't feel bad leaving them behind for a few days so my husband and I can go away and enjoy some time together, we just happen to enjoy spending our time together at WDW and now hopefully DCL.

My husband and I are taking our very first cruise to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary this may, we are taking a 3 day trip on the Disney Dream. We will be also be spending a couple of days at the parks before and after the cruise? Our kids ages 16 and 14 will be staying home with our parents as they will still be in school at this time. We have taken a few quick trips to the world in the past just the 2 of us, it is a totally different experience.

We have been taking our kids every year though since 2006 they kind of grew up with disney and a few years they have gotten to go twice. So in my case no I don't feel bad leaving them behind for a few days so my husband and I can go away and enjoy some time together, we just happen to enjoy spending our time together at WDW and now hopefully DCL.

You quite possibly will be addicted after your Dream cruise. Be sure to visit the onboard booking desk to book your next cruise or at least a placeholder to get the OBB discount.

DH and I will be cruising without DD (13) next March on the Fantasy. We have never cruised without her and I was worried how she would react. She was really happy for us and told us that she thought it was a great idea. She loved the Dream, but did not enjoy the kids clubs. She would like to go on another cruise, but I think we may need to bring a friend. We try to take a vacation once a year without her and she has always had a good time without us! I admit that I have had moments of wanting her to go but we are celebrating our 15th wedding anniversary and DH has been adamant that he wants it to just be the two of us. I think this will help with my devious plan of getting him to book another cruise with DD while on board this cruise. I totally plan to point out everything DD would have enjoyed!

Funny thing is, while we both enjoy Disney (I am a bigger fan than he is), neither of us are fanatics about Disney, but it's the special touches that Disney does that has us coming back. When we started to plan the trip, there was no debate or doubt it would be with DCL even though it would be without DD.

This. We would choose destinations/experiences that WE would like and probably wouldn't be super exciting for a 7 or 5 year old lol but I wouldn't go on a Disney cruise or to the parks without my kids for the same reasons.
But I am the one who was a Disney fan before the kids. I made them Disney fans! And the opportunity to enjoy the Fantasy wihtout any kids, was too awesome to pass up. Cruised for our 22nd anniversary last February. Enjoyed all the adult areas, the sunshine, got to interact with the crew more. Took several adult only tours of the ship. Enjoyed watching all the itty bitties enjoying the princesses and characters. Kids had school and grandma and grandpa time. They were a little miffed but they ubnderstand that Mom and Dad enjoy time to themselves and it makes us a better family.

DH and I sailed the Fantasy her first season and left our kids at home. They were 12, 13 and 15 at the time. Would they have liked to go? Sure. Mostly because it was a trip and they were stuck home in school. They like but don't love DCL cruises, they prefer a different line. DH wanted the Fantasy. I wanted Celebrity. He won. We've cruised without them several times and with them several times. They aren't deprived of travel opportunities. We're better parents if we get a break every now and then; we just happened to pick DCL that time.

I've often said I'd love to go to WDW for our anniversary or for Food & Wine by ourselves, but in reality I know that I'd feel horrible about it if we left DS(8) with family and went without him. We'd also love to do a PC or transatlantic cruise which are always during school calendar....So I guess we will just wait til he is older because we'd feel pretty bad about doing a Disney cruise without him while he's still young too.

I don't bring DS (12) on DCL. I bring him about 50% of the time to WDW. The 50% I don't bring him are generally because I can't / don't want to take him out of school. So I try to make sure I have trips where I can take him and trips where I can't.

As for DCL - he expresses no interest in the ships. He is very much a computer / internet kid. His entertainment is largely around things like PvZ Garden Warfare. He has aspergers and doesn't make friends very easily - those he does make generally take him months. He gets teased very easily. He likes WDW because he enjoys the rides and interacts with us. But with no internet, no friends and no rides, he has time and time expressed extreme anxiety about a cruise.

We keep saying one of these years we are going to bring him on a 3 day. I talk to him about it frequently (about every 3 months) to feel out his reaction. He's coming around, but still has stated he would prefer WDW.

We don't travel without our kids, period. I can't wrap my head around doing anything Disney without them. It'd kill me.

I have no qualms about leaving one or both children behind for Disney vacations now that I live in FL. It's really just my DD and I that are Disney nuts. My DH can't stand amusement parks and will not go on a tropical cruise since we now live in the land of palm trees and a have a 10 minute drive from gorgeous beaches. My 12yo DS has Asperger's, auditory processing disorder and sensory issues. He will not go to the parks with us any longer. It's just too much overload for him even if we go for a few hours in the morning and spend the rest of the day at the resort. We went on a 5 night cruise in November and he couldn't have cared less he was there. He only went because it was his grandmother's 1st cruise and spent the entire time maintaining 1st place in the video game challenges. I don't think I'm going to bring him on our next DCL. He is much happier at home with his routines and all his computer stuff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter