Our trip is starting off with a bang or oh how I hate Disney technology :(

I'll admit that went right over my head. Huh?
From the fast company article about mm+:

Just three months into Staggs' Parks tenure, on March 30, the NGE team unveiled the detailed lab to him and Iger. (Many sources argue much of the vision work was complete by the time Staggs replaced Rasulo. "The ship had sailed in terms of front-end thinking," one source says.) Iger and Staggs were impressed, but Iger cautioned the team not to bite off more than it could chew, according to people in attendance; at one point, he recommended that the NGE team "cut [their ambitions] in half" and only worry about MyMagic+ at Disney World, rather than at other potential park sites or on cruise ships. By the tour's end, recalls former NGE leader Michelle Bentubo, "probably around nine of the executives ended up with Bob in the last room, and he [looked toward] Jim MacPhee, John Padgett, and Nick Franklin, and [said], 'It better work.' " The phrase had become an NGE team mantra often referred to as IBFW, or "it better frickin' work," a sentiment Iger would express in similar terms to Staggs at the board meeting.

OP, glad this worked out in some fashion for you. Although it doesn't help with the current situation, I want to share a story that is relevent I think, at least in some way.

Last summer, when getting ready for our trip to Disney (we drive down from NY) the transmission in my car went. I paid $1000 to get a used 5 speed swapped in, and all was good.

The day before our trip, I was blessed with a gout flare up. Since I had never had one before, I had no medicine for it, and there was no way to get to the doctor in time, so I suffered with it for about the first 5 or 6 days of our trip.

Day one, on the way there, we leave home before 3 in the morning, and wind up breaking down in Maryland at about 7 . . . have to spend the night, another $1000 in car repairs, and it is 11:45 the next morning before we are on our way again. At this point, we have missed lunch at Dixie Cross Roads, and an afternoon at Wonder Works, and we are going to miss dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe'.

Not much I could do about any of those, but I did drive straight through from Maryland to Orlando, and get us checked in at the Caribe Royale where we were spending one night before moving over to Port Orleans Riverside. It was after 2:00 in the morning, but we made it.

The hotel was nice, we slept in a bit late, then went to POR. A few days into our stay, both DW and I get sick. On our first non park day, when we are supposed to be doing Disney Quest, Miniature Golf, and visiting Old Towne for their car cruise, we drive over to Wal Mart to get medicine, and fill the gas tank. At the gas station, the car won't start back up. Winds up being the fuel pump . .. . . HOURS of waiting for a tow truck, we miss mini golf, we miss Quest, we miss supper at DTD, and the car cruise at Olde Town.

Everything that could go wrong, seemingly did. The important thing to take from the story, I dealt with my foot killing me, DW, DS and I all dealt with being sick, and with the car breaking down twice, and with missing things we had planned, and in the end .. . . we had a great time!!

No matter what happens, whether you get the reservation you want, or end up eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in the room, have fun!

I'm not sure your story made OP feel any better but I will say that you certainly have a good attitude when things go wrong. I can honestly say that I would not have been so positive and surely would have told my husband, "It would have been cheaper to fly with all this car expense."

Sorry about the trouble Luckybee. Have a wonderful time. I'm glad you got the reservation you wanted. Let us know what you thought of California Grill.

We've been before. Actually September last year was our first time trying it. To tell you what we thought of it....we booked a 2nd visit during that trip :)

The second visit was even better than the first :) So we're looking forward to it this time as well .

I really dislike posts like this.

I'm sorry you dislike my post so much. However, it was in response to the OP, not you. You can feel free to not bother reading my posts in the future if you find them so troubling.

I'm not sure your story made OP feel any better but I will say that you certainly have a good attitude when things go wrong. I can honestly say that I would not have been so positive and surely would have told my husband, "It would have been cheaper to fly with all this car expense."

I'm not entirely sure it did either, but I hope the OP was able to take from it my intention that in the end, no matter what happens with the dining reservation, don't let it ruin the trip. Go into it determined to have fun, not feeling like it's gonna stink on ice because things have already gone wrong.

I could easily have taken that attitude last year, and DW and DS would have followed along, and we would all have had a miserable trip. It wasn't easy staying positive through it all, but it made the difference between having fun, and being miserable, and I don't go on vacation to be miserable.

I'm not entirely sure it did either, but I hope the OP was able to take from it my intention that in the end, no matter what happens with the dining reservation, don't let it ruin the trip. Go into it determined to have fun, not feeling like it's gonna stink on ice because things have already gone wrong.

I could easily have taken that attitude last year, and DW and DS would have followed along, and we would all have had a miserable trip. It wasn't easy staying positive through it all, but it made the difference between having fun, and being miserable, and I don't go on vacation to be miserable.
Speaking just for me, I never go in to a vacation thinking it's going to stink. Why bother spending a bunch of money on a lousy trip? But sometimes things do go wrong, and it can effect a significant portion of your vacation. I don't think Luckybee's reservation snafu was one of those occasions. Now, having a gout flare up and no medication? That would definitely ruin my vacation! ;)

The world needs more people like you in it! Good for you and what a great attitude to model for your children.

Now, having a gout flare up and no medication? That would definitely ruin my vacation! ;)

I will confess that it was not a pile of fun, and certainly not something I want to have happen again on a vacation, but I was pretty determined that we were going to enjoy the trip, so I took some over the counter pain killers, gritted my teeth when necessary, and on we went.

I'm sorry you dislike my post so much. However, it was in response to the OP, not you. You can feel free to not bother reading my posts in the future if you find them so troubling.
It is a discussion board. When you post, expect anyone to comment, not only the OP.

I will confess that it was not a pile of fun, and certainly not something I want to have happen again on a vacation, but I was pretty determined that we were going to enjoy the trip, so I took some over the counter pain killers, gritted my teeth when necessary, and on we went.

We has similar troubles on our 2013 trip- I thought our issues were bad but pale in comparison - it's to nice to read from others how they handled much worse. Thank you!

It is a discussion board. When you post, expect anyone to comment, not only the OP.
I do expect that anyone can reply / comment on my posts. I didn't think anything I had said was so disturbing that it warranted that kind of reaction though.

I do expect that anyone can reply / comment on my posts. I didn't think anything I had said was so disturbing that it warranted that kind of reaction though.

If you'd just stop being so darn positive, it might help a little! ;) JK. You're going to WDW! Frown a little! :):)

Some years ago when my kids were younger, we all decided to head down to Disney. On the drive down, we were shot at by gangs and my son was temporarily abducted by aliens. We were a day late getting there for some reason- we lost time because of the aliens. When we tried to check into our pre-paid deluxe room it was unavailable, so they bumped us to the All-Stars. The tickets, which we ordered online wouldn't work, and we had to buy all-new parkhoppers. My husband fell off the boat on the way to MK and spent the rest of the time in ICU after nearly drowning. The rest of us were so exhausted we fell asleep at Blizzard Beach without sunscreen and suffered 2nd degree sunburns. Needless to say, we spent the rest of our vacation in our room when we weren't visiting DH in the hospital.

We had some rough patches, but everyone had a great time because we were at Disney!!

Some years ago when my kids were younger, we all decided to head down to Disney. On the drive down, we were shot at by gangs and my son was temporarily abducted by aliens. We were a day late getting there for some reason- we lost time because of the aliens. When we tried to check into our pre-paid deluxe room it was unavailable, so they bumped us to the All-Stars. The tickets, which we ordered online wouldn't work, and we had to buy all-new parkhoppers. My husband fell off the boat on the way to MK and spent the rest of the time in ICU after nearly drowning. The rest of us were so exhausted we fell asleep at Blizzard Beach without sunscreen and suffered 2nd degree sunburns. Needless to say, we spent the rest of our vacation in our room when we weren't visiting DH in the hospital.

We had some rough patches, but everyone had a great time because we were at Disney!!

:rotfl2:

Too funny!!

What kind of loser doesn't apply sunscreen?

(It's a joke people. Slowly back away from your report click.)

Thanks for the laugh American. Livened up the classroom I'm sitting in. Proctoring standardized testing. If any of these kids fail because I snorted I'll be sure to let you know.)

Clearly Disney does not care about the guest experience. If they did, they'd do something about that sun! How can you possibly blame a guest for falling asleep in the sun ? That's absolutely Disney's fault for having so many parks and so much to do that there's no time to rest!

JK, of course. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter