Our last trip to Disney (as a family of 3)! *new 2/3/16 link to new TR*

schmass

DIS Veteran
Hello, and welcome to my second Trip Report here on the DIS! My first report was a cruise TR from last September, which can be found HERE. My DS Rory turned 16 months during that trip, and he had a great time.

I was a little unsure of whether I’d do a TR for this most recent trip because I have a lot going on in my life right now. I am currently in my third trimester of pregnancy with our second child, a baby girl! But we had such a great time during this trip that I decided to go for it and share our adventures. It was seriously one of the best vacations that we have had!

Let’s get started!

WHEN: Sunday, April 26th – Thursday, April 30th

WHERE: We stayed in a studio at the Boardwalk Villas

WHY: Well, we had a few reasons – 1) We were celebrating Rory’s 2nd birthday. We wanted to do it prior to him turning two so we could get one last free airplane trip; 2) We wanted to spend one last vacation together as a family of three before the baby arrives; 3) we had been tentatively planning a trip to Disneyland Paris this spring, but decided a Disney World trip fit our budget better at this time.

WHO: My name is Sarah. I have loved Disney since my first trip at 4 years old, and since then have been back as often as possible. I was 27 weeks pregnant at the time of this trip.

hwa4k1.jpg

DH, Michael – Michael went to Disney World a few times as a child. In our 7 years of marriage, he has been to Disney World/Land/Cruises 10 times with me. He leaves all of the planning up to me, but enjoys himself when he is there. It was also HIS idea to buy into DVC a few years ago!

mjpfth.jpg

DS, Rory – Rory was just shy of 2 years old on this trip. He had an absolute blast during this vacation. He loved meeting the characters, the rides, the pool – everything!

10x7hif.jpg

After an early wake-up, we were on the road on schedule, and headed to the airport around 6:40am.

rvx8c4.jpg

Before we knew it, we were boarding the plane, and hoping for an uneventful flight. This would be Rory’s 6th flight, and we were hopeful that he’d quietly watch one of his favorite movies, since we knew a nap was probably out of the question with such an early flight. Fortunately for us, he was pretty well-behaved the whole flight and watched Finding Nemo during the majority of it.

20tnekn.jpg

The only thing we would have changed if we could have is the fact that he peed through his diaper, pants, and Michael’s pants. Aside from Michael having to travel with a wet spot on his jeans, it wasn’t that bad since we had planned on changing Rory into shorts on the flight anyway.

We landed around noon, which was just a little behind schedule. We quickly walked to the Magical Express check-in, and waited in line for about 5 minutes. In the short time from getting to the plane to the ME area, Rory had fallen asleep in his stroller.

20usq4k.jpg

We were able to keep him asleep while boarding the bus and I was glad that he was getting in a little nap.

x4fbrs.jpg

While planning for this trip, it was difficult making FP+ selections not knowing when or for how long he might nap. In the past he didn’t sleep well in the umbrella stroller that we had brought, so we decided this time we were bringing our Britax B-Agile since the recline is awesome and he sleeps really well in it. So far it seemed like a good decision!

Right after we boarded the bus, I got a text saying that our room was ready. I also got an email from Garden Grocer stating that our grocery order had been delivered. A minute after that, the bus pulled out and we were on our way. Things were definitely going in our favor! Rory stayed asleep for the majority of the bus ride. He woke up about a minute after pulling onto Disney property, and started looking around. I swear he sensed where he was and didn’t want to miss a second of it!

After stops at the Yacht Club and Beach Club, we pulled into the Boardwalk. Since I had done online check-in and we already knew our room was ready, we headed right to our room, #1107. During the online check-in I selected “near transportation” and we got a great room. We had a standard view and had great access to the pool, lobby, boardwalk, and buses. Being on the first floor was very convenient with the stroller. Rory loved the view because there was a little pond with a fountain, so between that and the view of the bus stop, he thought it was great. He loved to stand in front of the door saying “wawa” and “bus”!

2ykcoyv.jpg

We called bell services and asked them to deliver our grocery order, which was delivered in about 5 minutes. I started putting our bottled water in the fridge and then realized that we had better things to do than put away groceries – we needed to grab lunch and then head to Hollywood Studios! Since we just bought things like bagels and other breakfast items I thought we were fine leaving them on the counter.

Continued in next post...

Last edited:
(Continued from last post)

We headed to the Boardwalk Bakery for a quick lunch. Michael got a turkey sandwich, I got a salad, and Rory got the kids turkey sandwich. I had originally planned that we’d walk to DHS and eat on the way, but it was HOT that day and sitting down to eat seemed like a better idea. I was getting nervous about missing our FP for the Frozen Sing-Along, but was still hoping we might make it. We also decided that we should take the boat over to DHS rather than walk. With me being 27 weeks pregnant, the heat, and it being our first day, we didn’t want to push it. At that point, I knew that we were most likely going to miss the Frozen show. I was disappointed, but felt like we were making the right decision. Anyway, Michael and I both liked our lunch selections. Rory, on the other hand, only wanted his applesauce and carrots. He is a big eater, so we thought it was strange that he didn’t want his sandwich.

We saw a boat pulling up so we finished up our lunch and boarded the boat. We got to the studios around 2:40 and I knew that we had missed our FP window, but thought we might still make the 2:45 show. I was hopeful until I realized the show was at the back of the park, and that Rory desperately needed a diaper change. At that point we gave up on the Frozen show, and decided to try for some character meets instead. Our next FP+ was 3:25 at Toy Story Mania, so we went over to Pixar Place so Rory could meet Buzz and Woody. Rory also decided at this point that he wanted to eat his turkey sandwich, and ended up eating the majority of it on the way over.

There was about a 15 minute wait, so we got in line. Rory did not want to be held, and wanted to check out everything in line and say hi to everyone.

4sgu2c.jpg

Soon enough, it was our turn to meet Buzz and Woody. We weren’t sure what to expect with the character meets this trip. Last time, at 16 months he started out not liking the characters at all, but was doing okay with them by the end of the trip. At 9 months, he did great with them. So how did he do this time?

29oso5j.jpg

30sarm9.jpg

Well, his meeting with Buzz and Woody was fine. He wasn’t super excited, but wasn’t really afraid, either.

After the meet, we walked across to Toy Story Mania as our FP+ window had just opened. We had a great ride, as usual!

ev13ww.jpg

29ksu89.jpg

Rory was looking tired, so we put him in the stroller and reclined it. We thought he was falling asleep, so we headed down to Rock n Rollercoaster so Michael could ride as a single rider. After waiting for a while, I walked back up to the area where the Disney Jr. show would be, since that was our next stop. I realized Rory was awake, and wasn’t quite sure if he had ever actually fallen asleep. Since he was wearing sunglasses, it was hard to tell!

Michael caught up with us and it was about time to get in the FP+ line for the Disney Jr. Show. We were inside the little theater very quickly, and sat down in the second row. Rory LOVED this show, and I loved watching him enjoy it. It was so cute how into he got, clapping, dancing, and grinning from ear to ear.

5xo87d.jpg

33ygw85.jpg

After the show we headed over to 50’s Prime Time Café for our 5:45 reservation. Originally we had a 5:25 reservation, but I was nervous that we’d be cutting it too close, so I changed it. Well, I kind of ended up regretting that decision since we waited and waited for our table. We probably waited about 35 minutes.

When we finally got seated, we had a great meal.

14oaz2r.jpg

Our server was good, not over the top with the antics, but in character and very pleasant. He asked about Rory’s food allergies, since I had noted them on the reservation, and said the chef would be out to speak with us. This was our first experience with this happening, and it was great. I had been wondering if WDW could compare with the Disney cruise in how well his allergies were handled, and was very happy. I was really at ease the whole trip because of how proactive and thorough the chefs were.

Rory and I both got salmon, and Michael got the sampler. We all enjoyed our meals. Michael and I even split a dessert – the Boston parfait, and it was really good. We scarfed it down quickly so Rory wouldn’t ask for any (since he’s allergic to it), but he was preoccupied with his own dessert of fruit.

After dinner, we headed back to the Boardwalk. We just missed the boat, but decided to wait for the next one rather than walk. The next boat came rather quickly, and we were back at the BWV around 8. We had two surprises when we got back to the room – one good and one not so good… The good surprise was a birthday balloon and card for Rory.

2zfv72d.jpg

The not so good was that I realized part of our grocery order was a carton of almond milk that I forgot about and I never put it in the refrigerator. I was so mad at myself as I really hate to waste food or money. Michael told me it was probably fine, but being pregnant and with an almost-two year old, and just starting out on our vacation, it just wasn’t worth the risk. I decided that the next morning I’d stop by the General store and see what non-dairy milk options they had available.

Rory went to sleep around 8:30, and Michael and I got in bed shortly after that and read/played on the i-pad until we each fell asleep.

Up Next: Day 2 - Epcot!

Last edited:
I'm here!

Rory is getting to be a big boy! Glad you got to WDW with only one small peeing incident! Sorry about missing the Frozen show and leaving the milk out. :( That's a bummer.

Great start to the trip!

Congrats on the new baby!

Jill in CO

So happy you decided to do a trip report for this trip!!

Rory is really cute, it's great that he did well with Buzz and Woody hopefully he keeps that up for the rest of the trip!

Annoying about the milk but hopefully there is something else for you in the hotel!

I am here!!! I can't wait to hear all about the trip - I'll be 28 weeks preggo at DLP so I look forward to hearing any tidbits regarding that aspect of it, but of course just seeing the trip and how cute Rory is too!!

Anyway fun first day! Sorry you missed the frozen show, but the Disney jr show sounds right up Rory's alley anyway. That wait would have driven me crazy! Was DHS super busy? I don't think we waited longer than 10 minutes for any ADR.

BTW your pics after the intro are coming in super small?

Great first day! Rory's little smile during the Disney Jr. Show is adorable! Disney does a great job for kids with allergies. My son loved being treated special. The chef's really do take the extra effort to make it amazing! Sorry about your milk. Is BWV your home resort?

Disney Junior Live on Stage is such a great show. My kids, 10 & 7, still love it! (so do I)

I'm here!

Hi again! Glad to have you here!

Rory is getting to be a big boy! Glad you got to WDW with only one small peeing incident! Sorry about missing the Frozen show and leaving the milk out. :( That's a bummer.

He is getting big. I can't believe he just turned 2! I was disappointed about Frozen, but glad that Rory was young enough that he had no idea what he missed. I think he would have loved it, though. I was so mad at myself about the milk!!

Great start to the trip!

Thank you!

Congrats on the new baby!

Thanks!

So happy you decided to do a trip report for this trip!!

Me too. Once we were there and having such a great time, I knew I had to!

Rory is really cute, it's great that he did well with Buzz and Woody hopefully he keeps that up for the rest of the trip!

Thank you. He ended up LOVING the characters.

Annoying about the milk but hopefully there is something else for you in the hotel!

SO annoying. I hoped there would be something, but I was scared to see the price of it!

I am here!!! I can't wait to hear all about the trip - I'll be 28 weeks preggo at DLP so I look forward to hearing any tidbits regarding that aspect of it, but of course just seeing the trip and how cute Rory is too!!

Yay, you are back! I keep checking but haven't seen any updates on your report, so wasn't sure if you were home. It was actually not bad at all being this far along in the pregnancy - you should be fine! How are you feeling?

Anyway fun first day! Sorry you missed the frozen show, but the Disney jr show sounds right up Rory's alley anyway. That wait would have driven me crazy! Was DHS super busy? I don't think we waited longer than 10 minutes for any ADR.

DHS didn't seem too busy that day, but looking back, it was the busiest park we saw while we were there. Then again, the waits at all the other parks were pretty much non-existent.

BTW your pics after the intro are coming in super small?

Thank you so much for pointing that out. I think it is fixed now?

Great first day! Rory's little smile during the Disney Jr. Show is adorable! Disney does a great job for kids with allergies. My son loved being treated special. The chef's really do take the extra effort to make it amazing! Sorry about your milk. Is BWV your home resort?

Thank you! Yes, Disney and DCL are the absolute best regarding food allergies. What kind of allergies does your son have? Our home resort is actually Saratoga Springs, but we have yet to stay there.

Disney Junior Live on Stage is such a great show. My kids, 10 & 7, still love it! (so do I)

It was great! It was actually much more enjoyable than I was thinking it would be. And seeing how much Rory enjoyed it made it really fun.

Joining! Great start to your TR I can't wait to read more :-) it is a bummer that you missed frozen but it looks like your son really enjoyed the Disney Jr show :-)

Thank you! Yes, Disney and DCL are the absolute best regarding food allergies. What kind of allergies does your son have? Our home resort is actually Saratoga Springs, but we have yet to stay there.

Our son's allergies are wheat, eggs, dairy, fish, shell fish, peanuts and tree nuts. We are half way through the resale process. SSR is our home resort. We wish we would have done it sooner.

Joining! You guys are such pros flying with Rory - glad all the transportation worked out and you were happy with your room. Funny how to him having a view of the bust stop made it a "premium view room" :thumbsup2

Sounds like an overall nice afternoon at the studios even if you missed the singalong. Seems like Disney does dealing with food allergies great everywhere

Sorry about the almond milk. Hope you were able to get something at the local shop

Joining! Great start to your TR I can't wait to read more :-) it is a bummer that you missed frozen but it looks like your son really enjoyed the Disney Jr show :-)

Welcome and thank you! Yes, he loved the Disney Jr show, and fortunately didn't know that he missed out on Frozen!

Our son's allergies are wheat, eggs, dairy, fish, shell fish, peanuts and tree nuts. We are half way through the resale process. SSR is our home resort. We wish we would have done it sooner.

Oh wow, that is a lot of allergies to deal with. I don't know if I specified Rory's allergies in my report, but he has dairy, peanuts, tree nuts (but not almonds so he is okay with almond milk), and shellfish. Good luck with the rest of the resale process!

Joining! You guys are such pros flying with Rory - glad all the transportation worked out and you were happy with your room. Funny how to him having a view of the bust stop made it a "premium view room" :thumbsup2

Yay, welcome! I feel like we're just getting the hang of flying with him and soon we'll be having to adjust to flying with 2. I don't know how you guys manage with 3! Seriously, I think the bus stop was the best view he could have imagined.

Sounds like an overall nice afternoon at the studios even if you missed the singalong. Seems like Disney does dealing with food allergies great everywhere

It was a good afternoon, I just wish we had more time to spend there. I was also hoping he'd get to meet the Mike and Sully, Lightning McQueen and Mater. There is always next time!

Sorry about the almond milk. Hope you were able to get something at the local shop

It was a bummer, but we were able to improvise.

Great start.

I cannot believe how big Rory has gotten since the last TR. (Oh, and I'm glad from my TR to hear that you are doing well and don't have all that much longer; and a girl...how wonderful!).

How did you like the Boardwalk? As you know we love it.

That's too bad about the almond milk.

Sorry you missed the sing-along, but glad you got on an attraction and that Rory was okay with the characters.

I hear that often about 50's...always running late.

I can't wait to ready more, Sarah.

It was seriously one of the best vacations that we have had!
So glad to hear that! :goodvibes

he peed through his diaper, pants, and Michael’s pants.
:eek: That's a bummer. Glad he was a good flyer, though.

I was getting nervous about missing our FP for the Frozen Sing-Along, but was still hoping we might make it.
I know that feeling...::yes::

Gosh, I had a hard time carrying Izzy around Disney this trip, but now I feel silly because you're managing it at 27 weeks pregnant. :worship: Very impressive!

Rory LOVED this show, and I loved watching him enjoy it. It was so cute how into he got, clapping, dancing, and grinning from ear to ear.
It's so much fun watching all the toddlers get into that show.

The good surprise was a birthday balloon and card for Rory.
Aw, that was sweet. :lovestruc We got an anniversary balloon during our stay there (our anniversary isn't until October, but a CM at some point got Dug to mention it's our 10-year this year) - Izzy promptly claimed the balloon as her own and LOVED playing with it. :rotfl:

The not so good was that I realized part of our grocery order was a carton of almond milk that I forgot about and I never put it in the refrigerator.
:sad2: Oh, no. I'm like you - hate wasting things. Hope you found a suitable replacement.

Looking forward to hearing more about your trip!

By the way, we loved our studio at the BWV! :thumbsup2

Welcome! Three kids, wow! How old is your baby?

I hope to have an update done this weekend...I've been having issues with my pictures!

Our baby just turned 12 weeks, thanks for asking!

I also just finished reading your first Cruise report- I really enjoyed it and can't wait to take our kids again- we went on the Dream in October 2013 when DS was 4 and DD was 1. (They are about to turn 6 and 3 already!)

Sarah, I'm here...be back to read very shortly.

Yay, thanks for joining!

Great start.

Thank you!

I cannot believe how big Rory has gotten since the last TR. (Oh, and I'm glad from my TR to hear that you are doing well and don't have all that much longer; and a girl...how wonderful!).

I know - he has grown 3 inches in the past 6 months! He is definitely a little boy now.

How did you like the Boardwalk? As you know we love it.

We LOVE the Boardwalk. I think this was my 5th time staying there. And we didn't have nearly the amazing view that you had!

That's too bad about the almond milk.

I was so mad at myself!!

Sorry you missed the sing-along, but glad you got on an attraction and that Rory was okay with the characters.

Yes, it was a bummer, but we still had a great day anyway.

I hear that often about 50's...always running late.

Now that I think about it, I do feel like we've waited every time we've eaten there. With the heat, pregnancy and an almost-2 year old, this wait definitely seemed longer than normal.

I can't wait to ready more, Sarah.

I hope to update this afternoon!

So glad to hear that! :goodvibes

Thank you! It was such a great vacation!

That's a bummer. Glad he was a good flyer, though.

Yes, I'll take a diaper accident with a good flyer rather than a dry diaper with a little monster anyday.

I know that feeling...::yes::

I know - I was thinking of your experience on the boatride over. You had a better outcome than us, though!
Gosh, I had a hard time carrying Izzy around Disney this trip, but now I feel silly because you're managing it at 27 weeks pregnant. :worship: Very impressive!

He is still pretty little, about 24 pounds - not sure how big Izzy is. Carrying him is starting to take a toll on me now, though. And it seems he wants me to carry him more than ever - I think it has something to do with the new baby coming soon.

It's so much fun watching all the toddlers get into that show.

I couldn't believe how much fun I had just watching him.

Aw, that was sweet. :lovestruc We got an anniversary balloon during our stay there (our anniversary isn't until October, but a CM at some point got Dug to mention it's our 10-year this year) - Izzy promptly claimed the balloon as her own and LOVED playing with it. :rotfl:

It's amazing how the littlest things can bring so much joy.

:sad2: Oh, no. I'm like you - hate wasting things. Hope you found a suitable replacement.

At one point I had to just tell myself "okay, you wasted $5 dollars on that milk and will waste another $10 or so. Much better $15 than the whole vacation if we all get sick!" That helped put it in perspective.

Looking forward to hearing more about your trip!

More coming soon!

By the way, we loved our studio at the BWV! :thumbsup2

Oh, yay, I'm glad! We love it there, too.

Our baby just turned 12 weeks, thanks for asking!

Aw, congrats!

I also just finished reading your first Cruise report- I really enjoyed it and can't wait to take our kids again- we went on the Dream in October 2013 when DS was 4 and DD was 1. (They are about to turn 6 and 3 already!)

Thank you! We LOVE the Disney cruises and can't wait until our next one - May 2016!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter