• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Our Honeymoon Redo! PTR: 11/15/15 - 11/20/15 - Trip Report Link!

I've never eaten at Whispering Canyon but I have been REALLY wanting to! All the antics sound like a blast!

Sounds like you've been making lots of headway with your trip... and having a great time on other trips to tide you over before Disney! :thumbsup2 Beautiful pictures of you and your family AND all the sights! ::yes::

PS - how did I not comment on this! Yes!!! I approve!!! :laughing::thumbsup2
I was thinking this might be a good opportunity for us to sleep in a bit. However, my sleeping in is very different than Keith’s. I’m from the same school as our friend @Tracy161. My idea of sleeping in is about 8am

Ok Gang! I have broken down and started my 2nd PTR for our Spring Break 2016 Trip! With the 2016 rooms scheduled to be released on 6/22/15 (my birthday), I thought it might be best to start getting ideas/thoughts lined up. Feel free to join along on this adventure as well if you like!

Yes! We are going again!

5 months from today I will be heading to Disney World!!!!!!! :)

hI THERE!
Can't wait to hear about your DC trip!!! love that picture on the train!!! so funny.

congrats on your rental car too!

I was hoping to already be a bit further along with the DC PTR but things have been crazy around here lately!

I've never eaten at Whispering Canyon but I have been REALLY wanting to! All the antics sound like a blast!

Sounds like you've been making lots of headway with your trip... and having a great time on other trips to tide you over before Disney! :thumbsup2 Beautiful pictures of you and your family AND all the sights! ::yes::

PS - how did I not comment on this! Yes!!! I approve!!! :laughing::thumbsup2

I talked it over with Keith this weekend and he is definitely onboard with WCC. I'm pretty excited about it!

Saturday, 5/30/15: 1st Full Day

I woke up about 7am and started getting ready because we (well I) wanted to catch the 1st bus that was heading out. The plan was to ride the entire loop to take in the sights and then get off at the Air and Space Museum and then make our way over to the American History Museum, well it didn’t quite work out that way but I’m getting ahead of myself.

We made our way back to Union Station (a common theme so far), and we were able to get on the first bus at 8:30. This was Keith’s first time on a tour bus like this and he was pretty excited about it…I have taken similar tours in DC before and in NYC.

eZxPZTy.jpg

As we started moving along I realized we did not have tour guide and then realized there were little plugins at each seat but I failed to bring my ear buds with me…I was disappointed because I wanted to hear the tour. I pointed out the things I knew about to Keith and he laughed and told me to stand up and just start giving the tour to everyone.

Due to my constant complaining about not being able to hear the tour Keith went down to the lower level of the bus at one of the stops and located the BIG box of ear buds that was available for all the riders to use…well OOPS! I was much happier when I had those babies plugged in and listening to the tour.

We made our way on the tour and were hitting all the major sights…The Capital, Washington Monument, Lincoln’s Memorial, etc. It was nice to sit back and just take it all in.

Hdd2Xzg.jpg

The Capital is currently is going through a 5 year renovation

Again, the plan was to ride the entire loop and then get off at Air and Space, but we approached the American History Museum stop and decided to go ahead and get off there and check it out. We had perfect timing the museum was just about to open up at 10am.

We explored the first floor of the Museum and by that time it was approaching 11am. We stopped to check in on Joey (again) and then headed to the food court to grab some lunch. The café had different stations you could visit and select food from. They had plenty of choices. Here is the breakdown of our meal:

Keith:

BBQ Sandwich, fries, refillable drink, Strawberry Shortcake (which he grabbed before anything else…priorities!)

Me:

Cheeseburger, fried chees curds to share, refillable drink and cheesecake

Our grand total for this meal was $48!!! I felt like I was standing in line at Disney!!

2ch7pI7.jpg

We found a table to sit at by the window and watched the construction of the new African American History Museum that is scheduled to open in 2016. We sat back and took our time eating our lunch and just enjoying each other’s company. I think we actually sat there for over an hour! So nice. We were both stuffed beyond capacity though so part of that time was just sitting there to let our food digest..LOL.

After lunch we toured the rest of the museum and checked in on Joey a couple of more times (I just couldn’t help myself).

Here are a few pictures from the American History Museum:

Zi6vKiA.jpg

Thought it only appropriate to start with this picture!

aUGOI55.jpg

Titanic

TcnO2Au.jpg

Life jacket from Titanic

6XixlZG.jpg

Don't be scared :)

Jz84X6j.jpg

Took this for my Dad...computer geek!

KY6hobR.jpg

Archie Bunker Chair

After touring the museum we went outside to wait on the next tour bus to come around. It was VERY HOT! Keith went and grabbed some water for me at one of the food truck vendors and before we knew our tour bus was pulling up. We grabbed a seat on top and enjoyed the remainder of the tour on the loop we had started that morning. We got off at our hotel stop…it was so nice that our hotel was a stop on this tour…so convenient! We went up to the room to chill out and cool off a bit and figure out what we were going to do for dinner that night.

We decided to call it a day and order a pizza and some wings to be delivered, and lay out some plans for the next day. We did just that and crashed pretty early.

Thanks for following only on the RL DC Trip Report!

Last edited:
what a great and RELAXING trip your having!!! Love the museum! I would spend hours in there.. I think we need to go here!

what a great and RELAXING trip your having!!! Love the museum! I would spend hours in there.. I think we need to go here!

Mo, you have to have hours to tour the American History Museum....there is so much great stuff to see. They even have the original Star Spangled Banner there...it's in a dark room so the light doesn't destroy it and you can't take pictures. It was amazing being in the same room as something so symbolic to our History.

We had a great trip just the 2 of us, but we definitely want to take the kids back when they are older!

Sunday, 5/31/15:

We didn’t have to wake up as early this day, but I was still up by 7am because I just don’t know how to sleep in! UGH! Our plan for the morning was to make our way over to the Air and Space Museum and tour that first. We decided to walk over there. The weather was still nice that morning (had not heated up yet), and we enjoyed the walk over there because we got to walk past the Capital and see some of the sights we had seen from the bus the day before.

vLD1Zbv.jpg

We arrived before the museum was open so we decided to see if we could find some breakfast…we didn’t have much luck. We just decided to grab something when the museum opened. So, when it opened at 10am we headed straight to the food court because we were both pretty hungry. Unfortunately they did not have any breakfast options so we had a super early lunch.

We started touring the Air and Space Museum and started feeling pretty sick. I found a place to sit and told Keith to go ahead and look around without me for a bit. Without going into too much detail I had a bad stomach bug right before our trip and I thought it had gotten better, I guess I was wrong. :(

I was able to join back up with Keith a bit later and we toured the rest of the museum. I guess neither one of us was too much in the mood to take pictures, but I did take this one (priorities I guess):

jLkBQR7.jpg

After touring the Air and Space Museum we got back on the tour bus and headed to our next planned stop which was the Lincoln Memorial. I have to say I really enjoy these double decker tour buses because they provide such a great view of the city. We got off at the Lincoln Memorial stop and visited the Memorial. Keith had not been here since he was in the 6th Grade.

WlfrNOf.jpg

jJPoq9Y.jpg

u3uwyPr.jpg

7HvgWjK.jpg

eXVtz5I.jpg

We made a quick call to my Mom to check on Joey…yes AGAIN! J Then we decided to take a ride on the Yellow Loop tour bus that took you up to Dupont Circle and the Georgetown Area. I really love this area of DC. So many neat shops and so many historic buildings along the neighborhoods.

T8TLXMg.jpg

We actually passed the hotel my Mom and I stayed at during my last trip to DC so I took a quick picture and sent it to my Mom.

xBH39wQ.jpg

We had received a voucher with our tour to ride a river cruise on the Potomac River, so we decided to use this voucher. We didn’t have to wait too long for the next boat. It was a very enjoyable ride. We shared a table under the boat’s shelter with another couple. It was nice chatting with them and seeing a different view of the monuments.

ZH8wbdV.jpg

I think the heat was catching up to me in this picture!

The river cruise lasted about 45 minutes, we had perfect timing because our tour bus pulled up and we headed to our next stop. We had another voucher to use at Madame Tussauds wax museum. Keith and I had a good time looking around here and got a kick out of the different statues.

Ec6UMTY.jpg

I felt so tall standing next to James Madison
Zm7v3Oc.jpg

A little chat with Rosa Parks
oJ3IZuq.jpg

In honor of my British Mother :)

At this point it was time for dinner and we walked down to the Hard Rock Café. This is always a fun restaurant.

We ordered the following:

Nachos – unfortunately they were not very good at all and were actually burnt. We talked to our amazing waitress and she had the Manager remove them from our bill and we got dessert on the house as well.

Keith: He ordered chicken and shrimp fajitas

Me: I ordered a grilled chicken sandwich with fries

Dessert: I had the chocolate molten lava cake and Keith had the apple crisp.

All was very good but we were overly stuffed!!! We went back out to the place where we anticipated the tour bus to pick us up at, but there was sometime of Gala going on at Ford’s Theater which had the road closed. We waited around a bit and decided it might just be best to walk back to our hotel. We pulled the directions up on Keith’s phone and discovered it was a mile away. We figured it was a good chance for us to walk off our huge meal.

We were over half way there I started to feel a bit queasy (again I don’t think I was completely over the stomach bug). We found a place to sit down and called the kids and tried to cool off a bit. We started back towards the hotel. It was nice to get into the cool, I went to the gift store and pick up a few gifts for the family and then I headed up to the room. Keith and I were pretty exhausted after such a jam packed day of touring, and we knew we had a long day of travel ahead of us the next day. I think I forgot to mention that during lunch the day before I had called Amtrak and upgraded our Coach Seats to Business Class. We did not want to run into the same issue we had on the way to DC and hoped we would have a quieter ride home.

I packed up everything I could so I would not have to spend a bunch of time packing the next morning. After that we both crashed! Then about midnight I woke up to an awful noise, just to discover it was Keith laying on the bathroom floor moaning. Now you have to understand my husband is a complete germaphobe so for him to be laying on a bathroom floor I knew he felt BAD!!! I will spare you the details but we both had pretty upset stomachs. It made for a long night and not very restful!

So, our day did not end like we had hoped. I will provide the details of our final leg of our trip in the next update! Thanks for following along with this report (been good practice for when I do the Disney TR).

Such a bummer about the stomach issues, but it sounds like you had a great touring day regardless! DC is such a great place to sightsee. And that bus you rode sounds like it was a great deal between stops at the hotel and vouchers!

Such a bummer about the stomach issues, but it sounds like you had a great touring day regardless! DC is such a great place to sightsee. And that bus you rode sounds like it was a great deal between stops at the hotel and vouchers!

The stomach issues were no fun! I love DC and it was so great touring it with Keith since he had not been there since he was young. The bus was GREAT, I would highly recommend it....I think it was a great deal....you got to tour all of DC and get off at the places you were interested in and there were plenty of free vouchers that were great to use as well. It looked like there were 2 tour bus companies there....we City Sights which is what my Mom and I used last visit and the Big Bus which is the one we used this trip. The prices were basically the same, but the Big Bus seemed to have more vouchers that suited our interests a bit better. I would either one again in a heart beat!

Thanks for following along on the report :)

Monday: 6/1/15 - Home!

After a very restless night it was time to start getting ready to head home. I had to make my way downstairs to the front desk because as I was reviewing my bill I noticed a $50 charge on there from the Hotel’s Restaurants that I knew was not ours. Luckily there was not a big issue regarding the charge, the Gentleman at the front desk took care of it right away for me. He explained it was a breakfast charge from the day before, but when I explained to him we had not eaten there he removed the charge. While I was down there I went into the gift shop to see if they had any medicine I could take for my stomach. I was happy to see that they did, but was not happy that a small bottle cost $14!!!!!!!!!!!!! I went ahead and bought it anyway because I did not want to deal with my stomach thing on the train. I grabbed a bagel for breakfast while I was down there as well.

I headed back upstairs still feeling pretty bad. Keith and I gathered all our stuff and headed to Union Station. We checked in our suitcase and had a seat at the gate. As time went on I started feeling worse and worse. Finally we were able to board and I was happy we had paid the extra to upgrade to business class. We had more room and it was a lot quieter. We started the trip home and I began to feel worse…the stomach medicine was not helping and I was spending the majority of the trip in the bathroom. My Mom called us to see how we were doing and Keith filled him in on what was going on with me…she told him she thought I had food poisoning based on the symptoms he described.

Keith went and got me a Ginger Ale and the Train Attendant told me to drink it without ice and drink it slow. I did that and it helped out. Since our train car was not full I was able to move to the seats across from Keith and I was actually able to fall asleep for a bit.

O3GCroo.jpg

We arrived in Charlotte about an hour behind schedule and my Brother-in-law was there to pick us up. I was so happy to finally be getting close to home. There were many times during the train ride home I actually thought about getting off at the next stop and finding a hotel to stay at for the night, and then head home the next day. I would just tell myself at every stop I was that much closer to home.

We got home close to midnight, and my Mom was waiting up for us. I walked in and my house was spotless and my son was sound asleep…THANKS MOM!!! I took a quick shower because I felt nasty and then I heard my son wake up. I had my Mom go up to get him because I didn’t want to shock him. My Mom told him we were home and he came running to the stairs and saw us and said in a sleepy voice, “Mom and Dad are back!” I got him back to sleep in his bed and fell asleep soon after that.

Joey loved staying with his Nanny and asked for her days after she had left. This makes Keith and I feel better about leaving him in November for our Disney Trip. There was a night on our DC trip that Keith and I did have the thought about not going because we were missing him so bad. Don’t get me wrong we were missing my step-daughter as well, but we have joint custody of her so we are unfortunately used to not having her with us 50% of the time. This was the first time we were both away from Joe. However, after seeing what a great time he had with my Mom we do feel completely comfortable now to go on our Disney Trip.

Overall the trip was a very good trip (except for the last day) and I’m so glad we did it. It was nice just being the two of us and getting to spend that time together.

Thanks for following along on this RL Trip Report….now back to the Disney Planning!!!

Ok, with a little help...oh who am I kidding with ALOT of help from our friend @Elevationist I pulled together my spreadsheet. It is still a work in progress, but I was pretty proud of it so I wanted to share it with friends :) (sorry so blurry)

yJdraYF.png

Last edited:
I'm hoping you are feeling back to 100% now. Sorry that you had to go through some tummy issues, but really glad that your son did well with his Nanny and that you will be able to plan and enjoy the honeymoon trip to it's fullest!

Feeling much better now...thanks!! :) The DC trip was definitely a great test for us and Joey! Nanny loved all the 1:1 time with him! :)

Looks like you had a great time in DC. I live about 20 minuntes from DC and I really should get down there more to see the sights.

We have the same dates for November but doesn't look like our plans overlap at any time. I'll send a general wave in the direction of CSR. :wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter