Our First Magical Poly Vacation: April 14-21 2012!

Awesome MK day Dave! You guys packed in alot of attractions. I am glad your DW and you are so flexible with separating during your holiday. Some people just refuse to do that "It's a FAMILY trip - we have to stay together...." This type of thinking completely backfires for most, because everyone is not getting what they want/need when they want/need it and inevitably someone has a meltdown or gets miserable with someone. We are very flexible when we travel and I think this is why we all travel so well together. (not just my parents and I, but also my husband and I)

Now, question for you - if you were not staying at the Poly, where your wife only had a quick monorail ride back to the hotel - do you think you and DW would have separated? I'm just thinking ahead for when DH and I take the kids, we won't be at a monorail resort likely. Looking like maybe AK (Renting DVC points for CHEAP) or PopCentury.

Oh, and good on ya for typing it all out right when you came home. I am typing still one day at a time, and I am starting to forget details already!! OH NO!!!

Now, question for you - if you were not staying at the Poly, where your wife only had a quick monorail ride back to the hotel - do you think you and DW would have separated? I'm just thinking ahead for when DH and I take the kids, we won't be at a monorail resort likely. Looking like maybe AK (Renting DVC points for CHEAP) or PopCentury.

Oh, and good on ya for typing it all out right when you came home. I am typing still one day at a time, and I am starting to forget details already!! OH NO!!!

Thanks Charity! Yes, we would have still split up even if we weren't on the monorail. Actually, our previous trip we were staying at Saratoga Springs and we split up a couple of times for DS naptimes. We either used the bus or drove the rental minivan back to the resort.

I think we will be staying at AKL next time too.

I know, it made me happy to see this because a) it means she enjoyed Disney and is trying to extend that feeling as long as she can, and b) that I'm successfully turning her into a Disney fan like myself! :lmao:

Yes... brainwashing commencing!! Insert maniacal laugh!!:rotfl:

Our DD has cried many a night since returning from our trip. All she wants to do is go back!

Great updates!! We were there a week later than you and I thought the crowds were about as expected other than our last day in Epcot which was really packed with the cheerleading crowds and having been switched to an evening EMH.

Our DD started re-packing her carry-on bag the same day we got home and even went so far as to borrow a couple extra yellow magic express tags to attach to it. She even put up a room number sign on her bedroom door. I think she likes this staying in resorts!!

Great updates!! We were there a week later than you and I thought the crowds were about as expected other than our last day in Epcot which was really packed with the cheerleading crowds and having been switched to an evening EMH.

Our DD started re-packing her carry-on bag the same day we got home and even went so far as to borrow a couple extra yellow magic express tags to attach to it. She even put up a room number sign on her bedroom door. I think she likes this staying in resorts!!

Isn't it funny how kids can cope with Disney withdrawals in such creative ways? :thumbsup2

My brand new camera just arrived in the mail today!!! Charging the battery right now - can't wait to try it. Found a great deal for Canon EOS Rebel T2i! :cool1:

My brand new camera just arrived in the mail today!!! Charging the battery right now - can't wait to try it. Found a great deal for Canon EOS Rebel T2i! :cool1:

Congratulations!!!! You'll have fun practicing with it and will be an ol' pro for your next trip!!!!

Congratulations!!!! You'll have fun practicing with it and will be an ol' pro for your next trip!!!!

Thanks! I've been playing with the camera this afternoon and now I want a second lens!! :lmao:

I'm taking the kids to San Diego in June by myself and my parents are going to meet us there. (DW couldn't get the time off) So I'm excited about trying out the camera during that trip!:woohoo:

Thanks! I've been playing with the camera this afternoon and now I want a second lens!! :lmao:

I'm taking the kids to San Diego in June by myself and my parents are going to meet us there. (DW couldn't get the time off) So I'm excited about trying out the camera during that trip!:woohoo:

Oh, that's awesome! Sounds like fun!!! Please post some pics when you get back!!! Even though it's not Disney, we'd love to see them.

Oh, that's awesome! Sounds like fun!!! Please post some pics when you get back!!! Even though it's not Disney, we'd love to see them.

Definitely will do that! If I survive the 5 hour plus plane trip with the two kids by myself. I'm going to have to pull out all the tricks and stops to keep them entertained.

Congrats on the new camera! I know our new camera made such a difference on our trip. Even though I was still trying to figure out all the settings (and still am!) it took so much better pics than our old camera. And being able to switch between still and HD video at the touch of a button was great. Looking forward to seeing some of your new pics.

Congrats on the new camera! I know our new camera made such a difference on our trip. Even though I was still trying to figure out all the settings (and still am!) it took so much better pics than our old camera. And being able to switch between still and HD video at the touch of a button was great. Looking forward to seeing some of your new pics.

I'm already looking at buying a second lens. Love the quality of the pics I'm getting!

Tuesday April 17th Part III - Magic Kingdom

DW and DS were waiting for us at the TTC after getting a good 2 hour nap, and we walked back towards our room. DFIL decided to get a short nap. The four of us went over to GCH and we got our Dole Whips! One thing I learned? I am a horrible Dole Whip server. As I was pouring the Whip into each cup, I couldn’t maximize the cup space. So instead of getting a pyramid shaped stack of Dole Whip, it turned out more like a cylinder shape with a VAST empty hole in the middle. More like Donut Whip! The Donut Whip still tasted excellent. We spent the next 45 minutes or so lounging in the GCH, browsing through the stores, hanging out on the couches.

IMG_1877.jpg

5:45pm we were all rested and cooled off and recharged! DFIL joined us, and we were back at MK again. Checked in at the Plaza. I had a Cheesesteak sandwich. It was much better than I had expected although it got a bit salty near the last few bites. DFIL had the reuben sandwich and thought it was okay. Once I finished my meal, I warned everyone not to order desserts since we have a dessert party coming up, then made a quick 2 minute FP run to Buzz. DS was getting bored throughout the meal, and when I got back he was no longer wanting to stay seated so I took him outside. The two of us sat down in one of the umbrella tables out front of the restaurant and we had a nice long chat about all the things we saw and did the past few days. He recounted of course how Shamu woke him up with a big splash. Then he got down off his chair, and was ecstatic that he found some ants on the ground!! I was letting him play or look at the ants when the four very friendly ladies sitting in the next table said to me “I think he dropped something – he’s on the ground.” I smiled and said “He’s mesmerized by the ants”. Then I said “We spent all this money to come to Disney World, and here he is being entertained by ants. Ants, we have plenty at home!”.

The rest of the family finished their meals and we were off to ride Buzz.

IMG_1885.jpg

The kids of course liked this one as well. DS rode in between DW and DFIL. He didn’t want one of the guns. He wanted the joystick in the middle that spins the pods! It was a hilarious scene. So DW and DFIL are trying to shoot at targets, but DS is having a blast spinning them around left and right! The ride came to a stop halfway through for about 2-3 minutes. Right in front of me was a target worth about 2000 points? So I spent the stoppage time by continuously blasting away at that target! The kids loved the ride so much, we pulled FPs again and while waiting for the window to open up, we marched into The Laugh Floor.

One night before our trip, DD was telling me some jokes she had learned from school. One of them went like this: “Why did Mickey fly into outer space? To find Pluto!”. I thought that was pretty cute AND thought it would be a perfect entry for the joke texts at the Laugh Floor. So while we were in the waiting area inside, I texted the joke in and put DD’s name on it. I just love this show and I wish we could have done it more than once during our trip. I can’t even remember the details anymore but the audience member participating in the retelling of Monsters Inc storyline were hilarious, and the reactions of the monsters on the screen were even more funny. Near the end of the show, it was time for Mikey’s nephew (or cousin?) to tell some of the jokes that were texted in. The very last joke he told was our DD’s! When we exited the show, DD was excited beyond belief. She was dancing and jumping and skipping around us saying “They picked my joke!” I tend to forget how something I consider to be such a small thing could bring so much joy to a 5 year old. Just made me smile. Thanks Mike Wazowski!!

After another ride on Buzz, it was time to check in for the Wishes Dessert Party at 9pm. The line to check in was about 30 people long when we arrived around 8:55pm. They checked each family in, and gave everyone wristbands so you could enter or exit as you wish. Our reserved table was right up against the railing and to the side near the stroller parking area. Excellent view and absolutely no concerns of anyone standing in front of us. We loaded up on the desserts. They also had a photopass photog in the terrace so we thought this was a great time to get a night time group picture with the castle in the background. There was a couple ahead of us that was posing for the photog. They took a pic with each other kissing and smooching and I’m thinking, hmmmm, that’s a little intimate. Then, the guy gets down on his knee and proposes. Awwwws all around. She said yes, and they took a few more pictures. I’m thinking, that’s a tough act to follow. We’re just going to take a nice boring group picture with the two year old not even looking at the camera. Okeee.

We saw the MSEP going by in the distance. You really can’t see all that much from the Terrace except for the top tips of some of the floats. I wasn’t expecting to see any MSEP action so it wasn’t a big deal. Magic Memories and You show followed.

IMG_1897.jpg

I love the new Rapunzel addition to the show with the floating lanterns. And 10 minutes after that, Wishes!!! Everyone has their preferences, but for me, Wishes trumps Illuminations and Fantasmic by a mile. The song, the displays, everything about it contains the essence of Disney magic. We didn’t have Tink “fly” for us this particular night, but I didn’t even realize that until the show was over. DD sat in my lap cuddled. It was perfect! I also tried to take some pics but most of it didn’t work because of shaky hands. Here are the relatively good ones.

IMG_1906.jpg

IMG_1910.jpg

The show was over. CMs were cleaning up. I hate trying to leave MK at closing time right after Wishes. The crush of the crowd is just too much, and navigating that with strollers is just not magical. So we’ve always hanged back for about 45 minutes in the past. I asked the CMs if we could just sit here for that long and they said, absolutely. The food carts were all gone by then. But we just hung around, the kids playing with the balloons. Around 10:45pm we headed down Main Street and exited the park.

IMG_1935.jpg

Got on the resort monorail and everyone was in bed by 11:30pm.

Next Up: A Poly Sunrise

I've finally moved on to the next phase of managing my Disney withdrawal. Pricing Disney vacations just for fun even though I know there's zero chance we can go during that period. ;)

I've finally moved on to the next phase of managing my Disney withdrawal. Pricing Disney vacations just for fun even though I know there's zero chance we can go during that period. ;)

Coming back from Disney it's like we move through all 4 stages of loss and grief. Or would it be more appropriate to have a 12 step program for Disney addiction? :lmao:

Oh Dave - I was there weeks ago! I have already had a Disneyland Califrnia vacation planning DVD sent to my house! It arrived 5 days ago!!:rotfl2: The only thing that I find frustrating, is trying to find info for prices for 2013 - it's impossible. We want to know prices for January, it's not allowing us to book that far in advance on their website? :confused3 I went to the West Jet sight, and I can find flights for that day to Orlando (Still almost $600 each return!), but can not book a complete Disney package yet. I CAN however, book one through DVC rentals - let me know if you think this is a good price, cause I have NO idea! My parents went ALL OUT for our last trip, and it was just over $10,000!!!!! :eek: :scared1: :eek:

Dates of trip - Jan 26 - Feb 2, 2013
Family of 4 (2 adults, 10 year old (priced as an adult for DP) & a 5 year old)

7 nights at the AKL Villa (DVC points rental) - $910.00
QS DP - $818.72
8 Days Park Hopper Passes - $1344.00
Flights - $2942.60

Total price of Disney Vacation (minus spending $ of coarse) = $5796.32

Coming back from Disney it's like we move through all 4 stages of loss and grief. Or would it be more appropriate to have a 12 step program for Disney addiction? :lmao:

Yes - we need help. Badly. LOL :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter