Our First Magical Poly Vacation: April 14-21 2012!

I am soooo glad that the primeval whirl, lol! luckily my oldest was only tall enough for the 44inch rides, and I seriously doubt she will grow another 4 inches by our next trip (based on her growth rate so far)...and I am thankful for that! I know I couldn't handle that ride! going around in circles ~ :sick:

I am soooo glad that the primeval whirl, lol! luckily my oldest was only tall enough for the 44inch rides, and I seriously doubt she will grow another 4 inches by our next trip (based on her growth rate so far)...and I am thankful for that! I know I couldn't handle that ride! going around in circles ~ :sick:

I'm going to have to find a youtube video of the ride. I had no idea it had the potential of that! :goodvibes

In Kansas City for the next couple of days for a conference. Came across this display in the hotel lobby and it made me miss Poly. (obviously this is nowhere close to looking good as the GCH fountain ;) )

202472f2.jpg

Sorry about the lack of updates – the fact that it’s been 9 days since my last one is making me uncomfortable! I promise that there will be an update tonight after work.

The main reason for this is that my return trip home from KC after finishing my conference turned out to be a much more complicated ordeal thanks to United Airlines’ inefficiencies. Please feel free to skip the rest – it’s going to be a LONG vent.

I was suppose to fly home on Friday at 6pm to Dulles. During one of my breaks at the conference around 1:30pm, I happened to check my flight status and noticed that it was cancelled. (So nice of United to proactively notify me ahead of time – NOT;)). This was not too surprising as they were forecasting some severe weather in the DC region for the night. I spent the next hour on the phone with United’s agent trying to rebook my flight. First she tried to put me on a flight connecting through Newark and arriving in Reagan National at 11pm that night. I calmly told her that wasn’t going to work because in addition to having my car parked at Dulles and I wasn’t going to ask DW to come and pick me up at Reagan at midnight, that shouldn’t the Reagan flight also be cancelled since all flights to Dulles were cancelled due to the weather pattern? So, she found me a seat on a flight leaving on Saturday morning at 8am. I was perfectly happy with this. Weather happens, there’s nothing the airline can do about the cancellation, and I’m not going to fault them for not trying to risk my life by attempting to land a plane in a midst of hails, wind, and rain! :lmao: I called the hotel I had been staying at to book another night. After I checked in, I got some take out BBQ from Jack Stacks (Highly recommend if you’re ever in KC :thumbsup2) topped off with a carrot cake the size of a brick!! Went to bed at 9pm since I would have to be up bright and early the next morning.

However, at 9:30pm my cell phone rings. DW was telling me that she just received an automated message phone call from United notifying me that my flight was cancelled and I was rebooked. My first response was, Boy that was really delayed considering I already figured it out by myself and rebooked hours ago. I thought I should double check online and lo and behold, they did indeed cancel my replacement flight in the morning and rebooked me on a flight leaving SUNDAY at 4pm!!! Needless to say I was not a happy camper. And I have to give props for them calling my home phone rather than my cell phone which I know they have the number for :sad2:. After spending 10 minutes on hold, the phoneline agent tells me that all flight options are completely booked and that’s the earliest they could get me out.

I calmly explained to her (I learned a long time ago that getting angry over the phone with customer service agents never gets you anywhere and it’s really not their fault) that this is extremely disappointing, that they are asking me to stay another night in KC which will lead to more lodging expenses, and that I was going to miss an event at home (my brother-in-law had been visiting from Ohio to help DW with the kids while I was gone and as a thank you, I got a pair of tickets to the Nationals’ ballgame for Saturday 4pm), and that I should be receiving some form of assistance with either lodging or efforts to put me on a flight with another airlines. She told me since the cancellation was weather-related (And when she says weather-related for the second cancellation, she means that the weather in Dulles on Friday night led to NO aircraft at KC airport the following morning), that there is nothing to airline could do with compensation (more like, WILL not do). My main argument was, that they should never have rebooked me on this flight to begin with, that they should have the foresight to figure out that there would have been no aircraft at KC, and that if they had rebooked me on the second flight out two hours later (which there were plenty of seats earlier in the day when I was rebooking but not anymore), I could have avoided this mess. She still said no, so I asked to speak with her manager.

I was on hold for another 40 minutes before the manager came on which I am sure was because there were dozens of people like me waiting to speak with him. While on hold, I was searching online frantically for one way tickets and fares home on other airlines. He read me the same script that the previous agent did. And I mean literally read the script. It was clear that United was outsourcing their phone lines overseas, and there was no personalized response at all despite my explanation of what happened. It was clear that I wasn’t going to get anywhere. I joked with him that I really didn’t envy his job tonight considering they would be spending all night (or all day since they’re most likely located in a different continent) talking to angry customers and it’s really not their fault but the airline’s policies.

Once I got off the phone, I spent another hour looking for flights on other airlines and decided to purchase a one way through American Air, connecting through Ohare then arriving at Baltimore (BWI) at 2:15pm. Yes, BWI which is 1.5 hours from my car in Dulles. That was sadly the best option available. By the time I got everything wrapped up (as I had to call American on the phone since my reservation was languishing in un-ticketed status online), it was 1am. My new flight was leaving at 6:30am, so I had to get up at 4am, shower, pack, and check-out.

The flight on American was hassel-free. I had a two hour layover at O’hare. Decided to treat myself to a sit down breakfast at a Wolfgang Puck’s café inside the airport – which was pretty decent. Arrived early at BWI at 2pm where my brother-in-law picked me up. We headed straight for the ballpark in DC and arrived 30 minutes before gametime. On Sunday afternoon, he had to drive me to Dulles so I could pick up my car in the Economy Lot (Thanks again, United!)

I’m still very happy that I decided to make an effort to come home on Saturday instead of Sunday. Got to spend time with the kids, took DD to a birthday party. Had fun at the ballpark the day before. Our washer also decided to completely breakdown during this weekend, so it was a good thing I was around to shuttle the kids around yesterday while DW went shopping for a new washer while running the laundry at a Laundromat.

I’m drafting a letter to mail to customer service at United explaining what happened. Needless to say, I have soured on United. Have been flying with United and Continental (which merged) for awhile now. I’m sure if this had happened on another airline, the response may have been the same but at the same time, I would have thought the interaction on the phones would have been more efficient and personalized. When I did call American Air after purchasing my ticket, I got a far more friendlier agent on the phone who understood my question promptly. Sadly, my flight to San Diego with the kids this weekend is with United. After that, I will be staying away from them for awhile, just out of spite! :lmao:

If you’ve read through all of this – you’re a more patient person than I am!

Well that sucks!! Sorry for the trouble you had getting home. I'm not sure about other airlines in the states but Air Canada is no better that's for sure! We flew SunWing from Toronto to Orlando other than it being a small plane so I was a bit squished the flight was trouble-free.

Thursday April 19th Part III - Animal Kingdom

We were refreshed and ready to head over to the 2pm showing of Flights of Wonder. When we got there, we found center row about 4 rows back from the stage. We have never seen this show, but had heard a lot of good things from DIS members. The verdict? We liked it a lot!!

Here we have a singing bird!
IMG_2146.jpg

IMG_2153.jpg

The birds swooping low as they barely graze your hair on a fly-by never gets old. And tour guide Joe bit was humorous enough although I think they may need to update the casting for that role and find a Brazilian Joe instead. (I kid :lmao:).

IMG_2151.jpg

The kids enjoyed it quite a bit. And the Bald Eagle appearance was quite majestic.

IMG_2154.jpg

IMG_2155.jpg

After the show, we went up for an up-close look at a spectacled owl.

IMG_2157.jpg

That’s when the host of the show made an announcement that they were going to do a training session for one of their young birds who is not in the show’s rotation yet, and asked if any of us would like to help by sitting in the audience to simulate a crowd. I think most people had already left by then but there were a good 40-50 people who stayed in the center section. It was fun and the bird did well without any mistakes.

IMG_2158.jpg

I wondered if this was routinely done after every show or if this truly was one of those random moments? We enjoyed it.

So now it was time to stroll back towards EE so that the grown-ups could take turns using the FPs. I sent DW and DFIL to go first while I entertained the kids with some snacks from my backpack. The wind was starting to pick up a bit AND there were dark clouds rolling in. We knew that there was a forecast of rain sometime in the afternoon. About 5 minutes later, DW and DFIL returned and I said “wow, that was fast”. Not so. They just closed the ride because of the approaching storm. As Scooby and Josh (easywdw) would say, Ruh-Roh. The CM at the FP lane had told DW that they could bring back the FPs later and they will honor them since the ride was closed during our return time window. It was about 3:15pm now. My initial plan prior to the weather coming in was to watch the Jungle Parade after EE. But now I wasn’t so sure if the parade was going to happen to start off with even though it just started sprinkling. So, we slowly started strolling back towards Africa again. I found a couple of CMs, with one wearing an earpiece, talking to a couple of other CMs who were setting up the rope for the parade. Ah-ha, management CM. They would know! So as I approached her, I heard her telling the other CMs to recollect the parade line, that the parade was cancelled. Another Ruh-Roh. This rain might be a tad more than I was expecting.

I was also quite disappointed although I didn’t say anything to the kids about the parade being cancelled. This was my favorite parade and was DDs too last year. A LOT of good interactions for DD with the parade participants. Chip (or was it Dale) came over to play with DD’s nose. Baloo decided to use our stroller (with our DS sleeping in it) as a scratching post for his bottom. A couple of the performers on stilts came over to say hi to DD. It had been fun all around last year’s parade and I had been looking forward to this year’s.

Here are some of the pictures from last year's parade. You can see that DD is wearing what she called a "safari hat". I found one for her at the store across from Tusker House 10 minutes before the parade started which she put to use right away. I think all of the characters interacted with her because of the hat! :goodvibes

IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

But I didn’t have much time to pout and be disappointed. The rain was slowly starting to pick up. And everyone in my family was looking at me for a plan. My brain kicked in gear trying to improvise a plan. I really wanted to try to stay in the Park through the downpour because, especially at AK, I had read that later afternoon storms really clear the crowds out of the park in a hurry! So everyone agreed that we should stay, also since we had Boma ADRs at 6:25pm. So, I decided we should weather the passing rain at Rafiki’s Planet Watch. We put our ponchos on and on the kids, and started our way towards the train station. As we arrived at the station, the rain was really coming down. There were a lot of people huddled underneath the station’s roof blocking the entrance to the train queue. The CMs did a pretty good job of redirecting people where to huddle and opening up the path while keeping everyone dry.

IMG_2163.jpg

Next Up: Going Commando for EE and Boma!!

Well that sucks!! Sorry for the trouble you had getting home. I'm not sure about other airlines in the states but Air Canada is no better that's for sure! We flew SunWing from Toronto to Orlando other than it being a small plane so I was a bit squished the flight was trouble-free.

I agree with you that most airlines are the same when it comes to these type of situations. I was due for a weather related cancellation with all of the traveling I've been doing lately. I think this is the first one I had in 12 years so I'll count myself as lucky.

ew :( sorry about all the flight cancelations!! I'm not a huge fan of United either. I'm a Westjet gal ALL the way even though dh hasn't booked through them lately. I used to work for them and feel I'm betraying them every time I fly with someone else. LOL but I also know they are TOP in customer service which i very much miss when we fly with other carriers.

Glad you liked Flights of Wonder :goodvibes It's a really great show. That's too bad that your "Joe" guy wasn't all that great. Ours was a barrel of laughs and had SUCH an animated face we fell totally in love with his character. :laughing:

Hope after sticking out the rain you do end up doing EE. I couldn't even imagine a day at AK without EE at least a few times.

Sorry to hear about your United troubles. A friend of mine flew out on Friday with United also and was stuck half-way to Costa Rica for an extra day and a half. First they said it was weather related, then they switched their story to crew related. Not sure what happened, but it is a weird coincidence that both you and my friend (flying from Portland, ME to Coasta Rica) had "weather related" issues. Makes me wonder if it was a United problem instead of a weather problem.

Looking forward to hearing about your Boma meal. That is a new ADR for us this July....can't wait to try it!

Sorry about the airline situation ! But glad you got it worked out for yourself. :thumbsup2

Bummer about EE and the parade too. :sad2:

That hat is too cute!! So cool the characters really interacted with her!! :thumbsup2

Oh my, I shudder at the thought of seeing Flights of Wonder! :scared: I am sooooooo freaked out by birds! The seagulls in the parks are enough for me!! :lmao:

ew :( sorry about all the flight cancelations!! I'm not a huge fan of United either. I'm a Westjet gal ALL the way even though dh hasn't booked through them lately. I used to work for them and feel I'm betraying them every time I fly with someone else. LOL but I also know they are TOP in customer service which i very much miss when we fly with other carriers.

Glad you liked Flights of Wonder :goodvibes It's a really great show. That's too bad that your "Joe" guy wasn't all that great. Ours was a barrel of laughs and had SUCH an animated face we fell totally in love with his character. :laughing:

Hope after sticking out the rain you do end up doing EE. I couldn't even imagine a day at AK without EE at least a few times.

Our Joe was just okay and wasn't too bad. Anyway, stay tuned to find out how we ended the day in AK!

Sorry to hear about your United troubles. A friend of mine flew out on Friday with United also and was stuck half-way to Costa Rica for an extra day and a half. First they said it was weather related, then they switched their story to crew related. Not sure what happened, but it is a weird coincidence that both you and my friend (flying from Portland, ME to Coasta Rica) had "weather related" issues. Makes me wonder if it was a United problem instead of a weather problem.

Looking forward to hearing about your Boma meal. That is a new ADR for us this July....can't wait to try it!

United's hub is at Dulles so I can imagine that the weather system that came through really threw a wrench in many of their flight schedules. Their customer service is below average and I really think they need to improve upon it.

Sorry about the airline situation ! But glad you got it worked out for yourself. :thumbsup2

Bummer about EE and the parade too. :sad2:

Thanks. Hopefully we'll be able to see the parade next time around. Stay tuned about EE - our AK day is not quite over! :goodvibes

I think most of you may have read this story on DIS or heard about it. But just in case if you haven't, thought I would share. It's a very sweet story about Ben who is autistic and how he and his family celebrated the last day of Snow White's Scary Adventure ride which had been his favorite attraction at Disney. Reading the story got me very misty eyed.

http://www.shmoolok.com/Blog.aspx

Well, I can imagine weather-related was the reason for the DC area as there were something like ten tornados in Maryland that day and evening, one seen from the tower at BWI. I'm sure there were issues in VA although we only keep up on MD news.

I think most of you may have read this story on DIS or heard about it. But just in case if you haven't, thought I would share. It's a very sweet story about Ben who is autistic and how he and his family celebrated the last day of Snow White's Scary Adventure ride which had been his favorite attraction at Disney. Reading the story got me very misty eyed.

http://www.shmoolok.com/Blog.aspx

I had not seen this so I am grateful you shared. Very touching story.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter