Our 3rd Annual Holiday Trip to DL in November - November 22nd - 25th, 2013 Post #3416

I would love to go to WDW but I don't want to wait until 2014 :sad2: That's when I graduate high school.

That's not bad, it may work out that you go when they have finished thier Fantasyland Expansion. I imagine MVF-M11C will have some pictures of the progress there on his WDW TR.

It's going to have a little rollercoaster as part of it.

Wow, I can't believe it is only less than a week away till my DA and I head back to DL for the Holiday season. :santa: That reminds me that I need to get a lot of Holiday photos next week. I looked at the weather for next week and it is possible that it will rain that weekend. I was kind of bummed about seeing it raining that weekend and will affect the "A Christmas Fantasy" parade, but it will be nice to see "Mickey's Christmas Rainy Day Cavalcade". I am also hoping that the rain won't cancel "Believe...In Holiday Magic" fireworks. It is one of my favorite fireworks at the DLR, but I have seen it many times and won't be bummed so much about it. My DA and I are looking forward to "The Magic, the Memories, & You" Christmas special on IASWH as well as the the Holiday version of WoC.

I also just upgraded my old Nikon D60 DSLR camera to the Nikon D5100 DSLR camera. I am very excited about this new camera and hope to get a lot of good pictures for everyone that follows my TR. I won't use it as a video camera since I have the Sony HDR video camera, but I will think about trying it next week. It might not be good for the fireworks or nighttime shows just for the daytime.

So looks like I have to go all around the resort and look for any Holiday decorations and will do Sherry quest games for the Holiday season which I am so looking forward too.

This will be a fun and exciting trip to DL during the Holiday season. I will do my best to do a live update of my TR at DL.

This will be a fun and exciting trip to DL during the Holiday season. I will do my best to do a live update of my TR at DL.

You always do a wonderful job on your trip reports! I'm excited for you being able to try your new camera :woohoo:

No wonder you take such good pictures! I can't wait to see what it will look like next week. We're going there to stay overnight tonight and our community concert band is performing a Carnation Gardens tomorrow morning. The room won't be ready until 4PM so we'll be leaving in about half an hour.

You always do a wonderful job on your trip reports! I'm excited for you being able to try your new camera :woohoo:

Thank you TK. I am so looking forward to use my new DSLR camera. I used it a few times last week and the quality of the pictures is way better then my old DSLR camera. I'm just hoping that all the pictures won't be blurry like the old one. But you can't have the camera moving or it will be blurry.

No wonder you take such good pictures! I can't wait to see what it will look like next week. We're going there to stay overnight tonight and our community concert band is performing a Carnation Gardens tomorrow morning. The room won't be ready until 4PM so we'll be leaving in about half an hour.

Thank you Allison. The pictures from my old Nikon D60 DSLR camera were good, but it was time for an upgrade after using my old DSLR camera for about 4 years. It will be interesting to see how my photos will turn up next week. Hope that you and Fran have a good time at DL tomorrow. That must be exciting to see your community band playing at Carnation Plaza Gardens tomorrow morning.

That sounds like fun Bret.

Thank you Kaitlin. :thumbsup2

One of my friends is almost 18 and she's never been to WDW :scared1:

So you saying that your friend is going to WDW one day? It will be special for your friend to visit WDW one day.

Now I am thinking of adding an extra day to my Holiday trip to DL in 5 days. My DA was planning on taking extra days off work on Monday and asked me if I want to extend our trip to DL to Monday. Since it is possibly going to rain that weekend, she thought it would be nice to add another day to our trip while it was raining that day and get more out of her DAP that we bought in August. This will be a nice opportunity to be at DL and do take as many pics of the Holiday decorations. I will get back to you in the next few days and see if we are going to extend our day to Monday or stay till Sunday.

We are planning on eating at the ESPN Zone to watch some Football in the afternoon (SF 49ers game vs Arizona). So there is one sit down restaurant. I am planning on eating at my usual quick service counters such as Tiki Juice Bar, Boardwalk Pizza & Pasta, Royal Street Veranda, and Tomorrowland Terrace.

After watching "The Magic, the Memories, & You" at the MK, I am so looking forward to IASWH "MMY" show when it debuts on Friday night. I'm still going with my original plan to watch the "A Christmas Fantasy" parade, "Believe...In Holiday Magic" firweorks, & "MMY" Holiday segment on Friday if it rains or not. I will also still plan on watching WoC on Saturday night but it I might do it on Sunday night if we decide to stay another night.

Man I don't know if I want to add another day or not since I have to get back the next day for basketball practice, but this is a good opportunity to stay another day at DL during the Holiday season. I will wait and see if we will do another day. Maybe I need more encouragement from you DISers to do it.

Hi Bret,
You've got me wanting to make my dining reservations now. What counter service and table service places do you like best?

TK

Hi Bret,
You've got me wanting to make my dining reservations now. What counter service and table service places do you like best?

TK

My favorite counter service restaurants at DL is the Royal Street Veranda, Tomorrowland Terrace, Stage Door Cafe, Tiki Juice Bar, Corn Dog Wagon. I have eaten at Tomorrowland Terrace a lot since I been to DL in the 80s and have been one of my favorite quick service restaurants at DL. But I haven't eaten there in quite awhile since I have short time, trying new restaurants at the DLR and it does get huge lines. RSV has been my new tradition of eating there first when I arrive at the DLR, but I have not done it the last few trips. We will definitely do it this week. Tiki Juice Bar is a must do now for a nice treat during the day. DCA is Lucky Fortune Cookery, Taste Pilots Grill, and Boardwalk Pizza & Pasta. I like to eat Asian food so LFC is one of them at the DLR. Taste Pilots Grill has good ribs and the Boardwalk P&P flat bread pizzas were really good and I will have to eat there again. I would say that it is better than Redd Rockett's Pizza Port in my opinion.

As for the sit down restaurants my favorites are Storyteller's Cafe, ESPN Zone, and Cafe Orleans. I love the atmosphere of Storyteller's Cafe when it first opened back in 2001. Before I have been going to DL a lot in 2008, this is the restaurant that my group always go to for a meal. The ESPN Zone is the restaurant that I almost do when I arrive at the DLR. I like to watch any sports game from the ESPN Zone and the food is really decent. Cafe Orleans which I haven't done in awhile, but I still like to eat a Monte Cristo sandwich outside while I watch other people at the park walk through.

What are you going to choose to eat during your trip? It will be interesting to hear what your group will be eating at.

Hello!! I'm looking foward to your pictures and other little tid bits!! Cafe Orleans is my new favorite table service, their pomme frits are fabulous. For my upcoming trip I plan to try their bengiets (I never could spell that). We haven't been since last November and looking foward to the new places to eat at DCA.

Thanks for the suggestions Bret. I think we'll try for reservations at Cafe Orleans, Carnation Cafe (lunch), Storytellers Cafe, and a WOC picnic dinner for the FPs. Have you heard anything about the Big Thunder Ranch BBQ?

I think we'll be doing a lot more counter service meals than we do at WDW where there is a plethera of TS dining locations.

Do you have any idea of park hours for Dec 31- Jan 6? DL at 0700 with ealy entry, DCA at 10 am?

I want to start my planning grid....
TK

Hello!! I'm looking foward to your pictures and other little tid bits!! Cafe Orleans is my new favorite table service, their pomme frits are fabulous. For my upcoming trip I plan to try their bengiets (I never could spell that). We haven't been since last November and looking foward to the new places to eat at DCA.

Hey there Kirsten. :wave2: It's nice to hear from you again. I saw your pics on the Christmas Superthread and they were all nice. Thanks for coming along my trip and I will do my best to get most of the Holiday pics at the DLR. CO is one of my favorite sit down restaurants, but I got to one day make a reservation one day and try the pomme frits. Yes I can't believe I haven't tried that appetizer at CO after all these years but I will definitely try that when I do CO one day. I believe it was called beignets. You should try out Boardwalk Pizza & Pasta restaurant since they have good flat bread pizza and pasta.

Glad to hear that you and your kids are getting APs during your upcoming trip. Hope that you and your family will have a great time when you get your APs. :thumbsup2

Thanks for the suggestions Bret. I think we'll try for reservations at Cafe Orleans, Carnation Cafe (lunch), Storytellers Cafe, and a WOC picnic dinner for the FPs. Have you heard anything about the Big Thunder Ranch BBQ?

I think we'll be doing a lot more counter service meals than we do at WDW where there is a plethera of TS dining locations.

Do you have any idea of park hours for Dec 31- Jan 6? DL at 0700 with ealy entry, DCA at 10 am?

TK

Your welcome TK. Your restaurants are good picks during your trip and remember that if you do the WoC picnic you and your group will get yellow FPs for any of the shows. Back when I did it in August it is only yellow. In the past, you had a choice between blue and yellow. I would look at the WoC viewing section and see where you and your group want to watch WoC. You can also get a blue FP when the park opens half an hour and try the fire hydrant spot that I like to watch. I haven't heard anything new about BTR BBQ, but I will check it out this weekend if the menu has changed.

DLR does have way less sit down restaurants than WDW, but most of the quick counter restaurants are very good and good portion size for the price. I would assume that you will be getting a Dole Whip at the Tiki Juice Bar during your trip? That reminds me that I have to get a Dole Whip at Aloha Isle at the MK during my trip next month. So looks like there is another must do at WDW next month.

In my estimation from past park hour history days at the DLR. On New Years Eve, DL should be open from 8am to 2am and DCA at 10am to 1am. DL should have a MM that Saturday and open from 7am to 8am. On the days like Jan 1st & 2nd, which is Sunday & Monday should be the the regular weekend hours of 8am to 12am at DL & 10am to 10pm at DCA. The days like Jan. 3rd to 5th will be the shorten days of 9am to 8pm at DL & 10am to 8pm at DCA. Friday should be a 9am to 12am at DL & 10am to 10pm at DCA. MM will most likely be on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays, and Sundays as usual. That is my estimation of what the times will be early January. In a few weeks, the schedules for those time will be there shortly so you can make your plans. I would take advantage of MM at DL and take advantage of DCA in the morning while you are staying on-site since you can enjoy the park while it is empty. WoC will be a big difference if you plan on getting a blue FP for the 1st show and try out the fire hydrant spot.

Hope this helps you TK and are you going to start a PTR for your upcoming trip?

Awww C'mon do it! You know you want to stay another day. You're still young and bounce back easily! :lmao: Unlike old fogies like me who is really hurting from my overnight trip. However our band really rocked the place, so I'm happy! :thumbsup2

TK

You didn't ask, but I really think that Ralph Brennan's Cafe is a wonderful place to eat. We never order entrees, but just get 4-5 appetizers for two of us and desserts. The Chocolate Bread Pudding Souffle is to die for!

I also like the Bengal Barbeque for a snack, and the place NO Square with the Gumbo in the Bread Bowl is really good too. In DCA no trip would be complete without a trip to the Corn Dog Palace!

You didn't ask, but I really think that Ralph Brennan's Cafe is a wonderful place to eat. We never order entrees, but just get 4-5 appetizers for two of us and desserts. The Chocolate Bread Pudding Souffle is to die for!

I also like the Bengal Barbeque for a snack, and the place NO Square with the Gumbo in the Bread Bowl is really good too. In DCA no trip would be complete without a trip to the Corn Dog Palace!

Great! Thanks for the tips. We've never eaten at the Corn Dog Palace. Lots of places on our list now :thumbsup2

Okay you were right TK and Allison, I made the decision and we will be staying another day at DL for my Holiday trip in just a couple of days. :woohoo: It was a tough decision of going another day especially I should be back in town. But my DA could use the extra day off away from home. I'm so happy right now that the weather at Anaheim has changed and it will be nice on Friday and Saturday, but early Sunday should have some shower as well as Monday morning. It will be nice to get some pics of DL when it is raining since the parks should be part empty on rainy days.

So right now I am still going with my original plans for the nighttime events. But early during those mornings, we will do HMH and IASWH at DL since both of those rides do get long queues during the afternoon and night. I will have to do MFW like I always do and get good aerial photos of Cars Land. We will try to get in for TSMM, but that might not happen since the crowd levels should be high on that weekend.

Looks like everything is all planned and I will revised my signature and everything else. We're looking forward to this trip and hope everything goes well.

:wave: , dear friend!

....caught you just in time..before your holiday adventures?

on the other site, they posted a super~holiday thread. ha! everyone
knows the best "picture show" will be found here! :yay:

ok...here's what we 've been doing- we are coming back! next year,
may 26th, on our way to aluani! maybe we will eventually "bump"
into the lil'mermaid. after all, if i was a mermaid that's where i be
hanging out. just in case,i be bring my special pulka necklace.
have you seen the picture of mickey wearing one? my is not
quite that big. but it is authentic & is almost as big...:earsboy:

had a very dear friend from the 70's....and his grandmother made it.
not the tourist type. it is impressive & can't wait to bring it back
home!

i have been working on a "thank-you" gift for the diser that sent
us a copy of their dvd on our alaska cruise. however, your pictures
would very important , filing in some of the blanks after we stop
@ disneyland/grand california. oh, that's where we will being
staying again next may. :yay: . if you find time to pm your address,
sure would like to send a small but disney thank you for helping us.

we are very excited about going to disneyland-& to alunai !

have a great christmas vacation ! { isn't every disneyland trip like
christmas morning?}

YEAH! I'm glad you booked the extra time in DL with your DA. :goodvibes Only two more days!

Thank you TK. I am so looking forward tomorrow and I will try to get some pics up tomorrow.

:wave: , dear friend!

....caught you just in time..before your holiday adventures?

on the other site, they posted a super~holiday thread. ha! everyone
knows the best "picture show" will be found here! :yay:

ok...here's what we 've been doing- we are coming back! next year,
may 26th, on our way to aluani! maybe we will eventually "bump"
into the lil'mermaid. after all, if i was a mermaid that's where i be
hanging out. just in case,i be bring my special pulka necklace.
have you seen the picture of mickey wearing one? my is not
quite that big. but it is authentic & is almost as big...:earsboy:

had a very dear friend from the 70's....and his grandmother made it.
not the tourist type. it is impressive & can't wait to bring it back
home!

i have been working on a "thank-you" gift for the diser that sent
us a copy of their dvd on our alaska cruise. however, your pictures
would very important , filing in some of the blanks after we stop
@ disneyland/grand california. oh, that's where we will being
staying again next may. :yay: . if you find time to pm your address,
sure would like to send a small but disney thank you for helping us.

we are very excited about going to disneyland-& to alunai !

have a great christmas vacation ! { isn't every disneyland trip like
christmas morning?}

If you are talking about the Disneyland at Christmas Time Superthread I have posted a lot of my Holiday pictures on that site. It is a great site to find out any information for the Holiday season at the DLR.

Great to hear that you and your family have your dates all set up for the Aulani trip in May. I don't think I have ever see Mickey with the necklace on, but it will be nice to see it.

It must be exciting to go to Aulani and then DL in the same month. It's my pleasure that you enjoyed my pictures and thank you for the nice offering. I will give you my address shortly.

Thank you for following along my TR and I will do my best to give a live update of my TR this weekend.

It does feel like a trip to DL feels like a Christmas morning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter