Our 1st Cruise Ever - 3 Day Wonder - April 2003

DonnyFan

Earning My Ears
This is a delayed post of the first cruise we ever took; please accept my apologies for not being more prompt in posting.

Background:
The cruisers - Family of Hubby(age45), me(45), DS (15), DS(11), DD(7)
Entire family born and raised in Orange County, CA; live less than 30 minutes from Disneyland (when there are no traffic delays ); annual passport holders to Disneyland for the last 5 years, which means that we make good use with our annual passes/approximately 12-15 visits a year (sometimes with the family, sometimes with other friends).
The majority of our family vacations have been road trips to the various National Parks; i.e., Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Bryce Canyon, etc.

We have never been on any cruise; decided to try the 3 day Wonder Cruise during the Spring Break.

DD and me can't wait to take another DisneyCruise; on the flip side, DH, and both DS's say 'been there, done that, don't really need to go back'.
Although DH and DS's found the cruise to be a new and wonderful experience, they have no inclination to return; the men in my house are under the mentality of spending future money on the tangible; i.e., computers, electronic equipment, etc.

For example this is what I've been hearing everytime I mention that how much DD and I would love to return to a DisneyCruise soon; i.e.,"Mom with all the money we'll save by not going on a future cruise, we can get a giant plasma TV. We can go to Disneyland anytime to visit with the characters or catch a Disney show; or Mom we don't need to go on a cruise to go to the beach, we just live 10 minutes from the beach, etc. etc."
Although I do see their practical minds at work, I am still ready to embark in the near future.

Needless to say, it will probably be just me and DD on our next DisneyCruise, which I hope is soon, lol!

Here is a recap of the positive and not so positive from our point of view:

Positives:
We stayed in connecting cat 6 rooms with verandahs which were very quiet, clean and well maintained. Our stateroom hostess was wonderful. We found the food throughout the ship to be delicious, plentiful, and fresh. Our service in the restaurants was also top-notch. The shows were well done and entertaining. Found the on-board shopping to have a great selection. Castaway Cay is beautiful and also well-maintained. Did not come across any passengers that were unrulely, inconsiderate, etc.
Embarkation and debarkation was quick and well-organized.
DS is a die-hard Disney Addict/Fan so she totally enjoyed all the photo ops, the character greetings, the Disney music, etc.

Negatives:
We chose to dine without other cruisers for our dinners; still found the seating too cramped and tables too close to others. Felt as if we were almost eavesdropping on other diners' conversation because we were so tightly packed together. Dinner is ok if you like to spend 2 hours at the table; but with so much going on the ship, we would rather be enjoying some of the other activities than spending that much time at a meal.
DD was looking for Disney fairy taled themed activities in the kids club; the only ones were SnowWhite and Alice in Wonderland activites which were with the 3-4 year olds, so my 7 year old DD visited this group during these activities.
Both DS's got Disney'd out by Day2; this is probably due to a combination of their ages and the fact that we make good use our Disneyland Annual passes regularly.
Found Nassau to be sort of a tourist trap.
Also, DH had about a week of bad motion sickness upon deembarkation; perhaps he shouldn't have taken off his patch prior to flying home.

In conclusion, it was a great vacation because:
1. We all got to experience our 1st cruise together
2. The family got to spend some quality time relaxing together in the same room/area which is hard to come by with each of our daily, hectic schedules.

Feel free to ask me any questions and I will try my best to provide an answer.

Hi,
I'm just curious about your user name, "DonnyFan": Who is the "Donny" you're a fan of?

Hello, thanks for the trip report!

You mentioned your DD(7) visiting with the younger group for those two activities. I had always heard that you registered to your child for the desired age group, and that DCL did not like to have children switching around.... Can you give details on how it worked and if it was welcomed for your DD to 'visit' the activities with the younger group. Was she allowed to participate?

Thanks so much.

Sorry for the the delayed response; find that I am on the boards less now that my cruise is over.

To JOC,
give me a guess, I'll let you know if you're correct ; I wouldn't be surprised if we're thinking of the same :)

To Wishing on a Star,
DD was checked in as a 'visitor' to the younger groups, since once registered, they prefer that you do not switch back and forth in terms of registration. Still as a visitor, she was allowed to participate in the activities as if she was a regular registered child for that younger group. She was very welcomed and not excluded in anyway by the counselors.
My only suggestion for DCL is that they should make some of the other Disney-themed/fairytales/princess available in the older age groups; or perhaps my DD is a late bloomer in that she has not out-grown such themes yet. Being a 7 year old, among 3-4 year olds, there was a definitely a difference in terms of attention span and distractions.

Feel free to ask me any other questions.:D

Hmmm, well, my favorite color is purple and that also happens to be the favorite color of the Donny I'm thinking of. Okay, I'll spit it out: Donny Osmond. Am I correct? If so, you must be the only other Donny fan in the world besides myself (according to my husband anyway!). :p

JOC,
Yes, you answered correctly, same Donny:D
I've been both a Disney and a Donny fan for the last 30+ years; both Disney and Donny keep me feeling young at heart !

And your husband's right, there are very few of us Donny fans out there; can't say I've run into many over the past 30+ years.
Unlike Disney fans which are are plentiful and come in all ages/colors/sizes, us Donny fans are rare except at a Donny event. Saw him in concert 2 years ago here in Orange County. and even in this part of the country that is so diversified, the concert was packed with mostly fans just like me, middle-aged, white women, who need to lose a few pounds;) .

Glad to know that you're both a Disney and a Donny fan too!

DonnyFan,
Can you send me a PM (Private Message) so I can reply with my e-mail address? I think it's kinda cool to actually find another Donny fan and I want to know all about the concert!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter