OT: I am so proud of myself (not budget related)

jennifer293

<font color=green>SHHHHH , but we live in the stic
for 30 years of my life I have had long hair, and I couldn't take it anymore. I went and got it all cut off above my shoulders today and donated it all to locks of love. Yes, it was very overwhelming and I almost cried but I did it and I feel so great about it, not to mention sooooo much lighter. I wonder if I lost any weight?? :rotfl2:

Just wanted to share my excitement since I practically live on this board!!!

If you are interested in donating go to : locksoflove.com and read the guidelines of donating!!

I donated 10 inches in 2002. Good for you! My head felt SOOO much lighter! It took a while to adjust to shampooing...I used too much shampoo for about a week!

Disneydreaming6 said:
Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did anyone know you were going to do it?

Thanks...I had talked about cutting it for about 3 months, but today I had ENOUGH!!! So I told dh I was going to run errands and when I came home I threw the ponytail in his lap...lol He doesn't like it but IT IS HAIR!!! Mine will grow back theirs won't....my 2yr old was scared at first she stopped dead in her tracks but she is now asleep beside me so I guess she still loves me.. :teeth:

I will be excited to use less shampoo because I cannot afford the gas to go buy more... :rotfl2:

congrats! I wish we could see pictures :) LOL about saving $$ on shampoo!

Yes, I did this last year, and normally, I would have cried. But knowing that my hair was going to a good cause, I was proud to be able to help!!

:thumbsup2

Good for you!

I did the same thing a year ago. . . I wanted to go shorter and realized how much I was planning to cut off was just short of the minimum they need at Locks of Love so I went ahead and lopped off a couple extra inches. Definitely makes you feel good when you think about how you're helping a child and it's such little effort. My beautician didn't want to cut that much, LOL, she hates doing my hair because it does all the things she wishes her hair would do, LMAO. She finally accepted it and cut it and made the comment that my hair grows so fast I could probably do it all again in a year. . . well it's been a year and my hair is almost as long as it was! LOL

:grouphug: Thanks for doing such an amazing thing!

Anne

You did a truly wonderful thing. We know a little boy named Jake who is doing his best to battle cancer. Please visit his site http://www.caringbridge.org/la/jakeowen/ His Aunt Melanie (she refers to herself in the journaling as Mo) set it up and her journaling is towards the bottom. She puts his prayer requests. He is really having a tough battle and he needs all the prayers he can get. The prayers are working because he is slowly improving, but he still has a huge battle.

But back on track -- I'm growing my hair out again so I can donate to Locks of Love. I did this once a few years ago and it felt good. You did a wonderful thing and I hope you know that! :banana:

MyGoofy26 said:
:thumbsup2

Good for you!

I did the same thing a year ago. . . I wanted to go shorter and realized how much I was planning to cut off was just short of the minimum they need at Locks of Love so I went ahead and lopped off a couple extra inches. Definitely makes you feel good when you think about how you're helping a child and it's such little effort. My beautician didn't want to cut that much, LOL, she hates doing my hair because it does all the things she wishes her hair would do, LMAO. She finally accepted it and cut it and made the comment that my hair grows so fast I could probably do it all again in a year. . . well it's been a year and my hair is almost as long as it was! LOL

The beautician kept asking if I WAS SURE that I wanted to cut it all off , and I kept saying YES, just do it before I change my mind..LOL

I am sure it will be just as long next year and I will do it again if it is!!

Thanks for such warm comments..I feel like I could cry because I know I did a good thing and now I have everyone reassuring me. You guys and gals are WONDERFUL people!!!

jennifer293 said:
The beautician kept asking if I WAS SURE that I wanted to cut it all off , and I kept saying YES, just do it before I change my mind..LOL

I am sure it will be just as long next year and I will do it again if it is!!

It feels so great doesn't it? Even though you don't get to see the finished product and how happy it makes a child, just knowing is a rush. I'm going to let mine grow til probably the end of the year so I can get a little longer ponytail this time.

babiesX2 said:
You did a truly wonderful thing. We know a little boy named Jake who is doing his best to battle cancer. Please visit his site http://www.caringbridge.org/la/jakeowen/ His Aunt Melanie (she refers to herself in the journaling as Mo) set it up and her journaling is towards the bottom. She puts his prayer requests. He is really having a tough battle and he needs all the prayers he can get. The prayers are working because he is slowly improving, but he still has a huge battle.

But back on track -- I'm growing my hair out again so I can donate to Locks of Love. I did this once a few years ago and it felt good. You did a wonderful thing and I hope you know that! :banana:

I looked at his sight and I am now in tears. He is such a precious little boy and he is a fighter from what I have read. My Dh works at the fire dept. and one of the firefighter's sons was diagnosed with brain cancer when he was 2 I believe. He fought and fought until he turned 9 and his little body had no more fight in it. He was the sweetest little boy and he so wanted to be a firefighter when he grew up. He got his wish from Make-A-Wish and it was of course a trip to DISNEY WORLD!!!! :banana: The firefighter's made him an honorary firefighter at our annual IAFF picnic and they presented him with his own fire helmet about a month before he passed away and also declared it his day. At the funeral his helmet was placed placed on or near the casket I cannot remember (my eyes were too swollen by that point). At the grave site the union president placed the helmet in his mothers lap and I just crumbled to pieces at that point. It was a very sad day for everyone in the community that knew him!!! :sad:

hey i can deff relate to you! I had super long hair for the longest time and decided to cut it very short in prep for my european backpacking trip last year. Well i just chopped it all off in this expensive salon, they gave me the cutest cut! Like you my hair was also donated to cancer patients. I had the easiest time in europe with hair care :)
Now, i'm in the process of growing it out and is a killer!! I have wavy/curly hair and very frizzy so right now i almost have an afro. I think i have about 3 more months or hair misery :( hair clips and bands are my friends now heehe

I too had my hair cut and donated to go towards wigs for cancer patients. Unfortunately mine was not long enough to qualify for Locks Of Love.

Not even 6 months later, my oldest dd (13 at the time) was diagnosed with an extremely rare type of ovarian cancer (only 1 of 2 cases in the US). While I felt good at the time of donating it, I cannot even begin to explain what it means to these children and how differently I felt about the donation later. All of the children handle their hair loss differently and for those that want a wig, it means the world to them!!! My dd lost all of her hair on her body during chemo including her eyebrows and eyelashes. For various reasons, she decided that she did not want a wig and chose to wear hats instead.

BabiesX2.......I really really tried to read through Jake's site, but was immediately brought to tears. I did manage to read several journal entries and although my dd's cancer and his are different, through experience we have learned that the cancer patient parents all go through the same worries. We all have to watch the chems., CBC counts, sodium and potassium levels, AFP and other tumor markers related to the specific tumor type. Jake will be our prayers!!!

Clapping, Great Job! :thumbsup2

My one aunt and I did it 2 times and her DD and another aunt did it once.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter