OT- I am quitting my job after 1 day

when I was a teenager. I went in early for my pay and then went to the mall and never went back to that job again

Actually the job market's tight, employers shuld be more careful in their hiring practices, most people have options besides "sucking it up".

About a year after my first son was born I took a PT job at a local dept. store as a cashier. When I interviewed I made sure to specifically ask if it was just cashiering I would be doing and was told yes that was it. I had to desire to work in any of the other depts. My first night there I was training as a cashier and about 1/2 way through the shift I was told to go help in the housewares dept. I did it but was not happy. The next day I called up the supervisor and told him that I would not be back as I was misled into what the job entailed. He wasn't happy but oh well.

Without a contract, there probably isn't much that the OP could claim was misrepresented. People aren't guaranteed jobs, and they certainly aren't guaranteed a specific job within the company.

How about this example? DH and I actually sold our house and moved across the country for him to start at a new company. Two days before his start date the company told him the position was eliminated. We spoke with a lawyer, and there was no legal recourse. Luckily, the company did quite a few things to try and mitigate the awful circumstances they put us in, and in the long run we made out OK.

All that being said, I will repeat what I said earlier...basically that the school was completely irresponsible in their actions, both to the OP and the students.

I'm so sorry that happened to you! To be stranded without a job, and have to relocate yourselves!

I don't mean to sound like I'm somehow smarter than you, don't mean this like that at all, but my dh has changed positions 3x's in the last 9 years, all involved relocation. We never just picked up and moved on what amounts to a promise. In all 3 cases, dh moved and we stayed behind for awhile until we saw how things worked out. DH stayed in as cheap an apartment as acceptable and we stayed behind, partly to get the house in order, partly to see how things went with the new job. What if he hated it and we were stuck with it? Or if he got laid off in a short time.

Last move I stayed behind for 8 months, then moved, but we had our home paid off! Took out a 15 year mortgage, made extra payments, own it free and clear! We've rented it for a positive cash flow for several years, its in Houston, and we're thinking ov moving back there. Nice to know we have a place to go! Owning a roof over our heads is a great sense of security.

To this poster, don't take what I said in a bad way, I don't mean like you made a bad decision, just made a decision that looked good at the time. Live and learn! Employers owe you nothing, and oftentimes that's what you get. What a lousey situation to be in. Hope things are going better for you now:hug:

Been there and done that also. I was hired to do the accounting work for a computer company. Now, I know how to run and enter information into a computer BUT I know nothing about how a computer is built! The first day I was there, I was told that I would be working answering the phone lines so that I would become familiar with everyone in the building. I had all these calls with customers asking technical questions about a computer and I was to answer the question or forward the call to the correct person. :rotfl2: About 5 hours into my day, my Mom called to tell be that my grandmother had passed away and I would need time off. When I went to my boss and told him I needed time off for a funeral. He said I can't believe that you are asking for time off when you just started. I had the keys to the office in my hand and layed them on his desk and said that I quit! I walked out and never looked back!

Many, many years ago, I went to work for a fast food place, and quit the first day. I made it through lunch, then told the manager that it wasn't working out, and left. I had worked fast food before that, but this place was just horrible! :eek:

Wow! You've got company! I interviewed for a teacher's assistant position in our local middle school, was hired and told that my position would be to help classroom students with their work, assist the teacher, etc. I specifically asked if there would be any personal care attendant requirements for the position, and was told "absolutely not." On my first day, I was being taken through an orientation and was told my assignment was a severely handicapped young lady who needed assistance in the bathroom, including diapering...and oh, by the way, watch out because she has been known to spread feces around. I just stopped the woman right there, and said no, not for me. While I greatly admire those who can do this kind of job, and I know they are much needed, its just not for me. I was offered another role in the school but declined because my trust level was pretty low after the "bait & switch" I felt was tried.

Take heart, when one door closes, a window opens somewhere else, right?

Sounds like we were in almost the exact situation! Well, I went in and talked to the HR director. He didn't blame or try and get me to stick it out til the end of the year. He pulled my interview file which confirmed what I explained. He seemed somewhat surprised and not too pleased with the situation, but that could all be an act. Anyway, he said right now there was not a position of the type I was offered and he would keep my file and keep me in mind for future positions. He thanked me for my handling of the situation, (calling in the night before and going to HR, I guess). So, it's over and boy do I feel better now! Thanks for all the reassuring responses.

I once worked for 2 hours before quitting- I was supposed to be an evening receptionist at a religious charitable organization. The girl who's desk I was to sit at told me in no uncertain terms I wasn't to use her pens/pencils and not to adjust her chair - everything had to stay the way it was (mind you, my feet couldn't touch the floor!). They didn't give me any orientation and everyone started to walk out at 5PM - leaving me with no direction.:confused3 For minimum wage.....I don't think so :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

If you have a bad vibe right from the beginning, my advice is run as fast as you can the other direction.....

Has anyone out there quit a job after just one day? I am about to do just that...it's a long story...just wanted to hear some stories.

I did it once. Got a job as a bank teller for a major bank, they day I started they sat me behind a desk and didn't speak to me the entire day. I mean 6 hours without saying any thing to me. Never went back, I think they were pod people.

Sounds like we were in almost the exact situation! Well, I went in and talked to the HR director. He didn't blame or try and get me to stick it out til the end of the year. He pulled my interview file which confirmed what I explained. He seemed somewhat surprised and not too pleased with the situation, but that could all be an act. Anyway, he said right now there was not a position of the type I was offered and he would keep my file and keep me in mind for future positions. He thanked me for my handling of the situation, (calling in the night before and going to HR, I guess). So, it's over and boy do I feel better now! Thanks for all the reassuring responses.

DK, Im happy to hear everything worked out and you are relieved. At first thought, I couldnt recall a job I quit after the first day, but I have!

High School I worked for 1 day at Dimensions Fashions. They were having a wool suit sale. I swear those ladies tried on every suit in every color! I worked the floor and suits were piled up on the floor of the dressing room. I had to put the pieces together back on hangers and back to the rack. By time they hit the rack, they were on the floor again:rotfl: I was so excited to work there and it was awful. Those suits were heavy!
That was my first and last day! I didnt even pick up my check and I never shopped there again either!

My husband did, years ago....

He got a telemarketing job. his first day was the day of the Oklahoma bombing. The calls were automated, and Oklahoma was getting called that day. He walked out, and never looked back. He really thought they should of shut down that day, rather than risk a call to Oklahoma, if they couldn't manually stop the calls there.

I'm so sorry that happened to you! To be stranded without a job, and have to relocate yourselves!

No, actually, we didn't have to relocate ourselves...we were dealing with one of the largest companies in the country. They kept DH on salary, paid for us to go back home temporarily while they straightened everything out, offered him an equivalent position in another one of their offices, and they moved us out there. All three relos were comprehensive (and being in HR myself, I can say that most companies don't cover all that their packages covered).

As I said, they did a lot to mitigate the unfortunate position they put us in. I don't care to go into details, but there was much more to our decision than just "a decision that looked good at the time." Yes, there are lessons to be learned in everything one does in life, but as I said at the end of my previous post, we made out quite well. In fact DH stayed with that company for several years.

Just make sure to tell them you are leaving. I worked at a video store years ago, we had an employee go out on a 15 minute break after working for around 2 hours, and never came back. We were actually a little worried about him, hoping that nothing happened to him while he was out. I guess he thought he would be sitting around watching movies all day:happytv:

I haven't left a job in a day, but I have to admit I have left 2 fast food jobs when I was younger within a couple of days. Fast food was not my calling....

Amie

I had a job for 1 day in a little market on a resort island when I was a teenager. The boss was this big mean woman who obviously ruled by fear! This lady was nasty, she was making comments about the customers when they left, & all the employees were miserable & after listening to her talk down to all her employees for 6 hours, I had already decided I would tell her at the end of my shift(12 hrs)that I wasn't coming back.
Well after my 20 min break (only one all day) I had a piece of gum in my mouth & she took her big (glamour length nail:scared: )hand & swatted the back of my head & said,"spit it out":headache: This was with a line of customers waiting to be rung up, I just said "see ya"!! :laughing:
Grabbed my bag & left.. felt so good to see her get behind that register!
I was so mad (or scared) I was shaking, but I was just so happy to be out of there! I got a job that same day in a cafe, I had the best summer, and made alot more $$!!
Moral of the story, don't become a miserable employee ruled by fear!! RUN!:cool1:

Many years ago, while I was in school, I worked as a security guard on the midnight shift. They put me in the middle of a parking lot to watch cars of the people who were going to this night club. They left me no radio to communicate with them or the cops.

The reason why they needed a security guard was they were stealing radios out of cars. One of the patrons of the club came out and when he saw that I didn't prevent his radio from getting stolen - he tried to physically fight me.

I left my uniform in the company truck and left. The next day the owner of the guard service called me and called me every curse word in the book. Screaming at me like I murdered someone. Thank God I didn't stay to work for such a nasty person.

I had a short-lived career (4 days) as a concession/ticket person at our local movie theatre, a huge chain. I can absolutely say that it was the worst job I have ever had. I should have known what ws coming when the orientation started at 2am. We never got breaks, and I am fairly certain that a large number of labor laws were being broken, but because most of the employees were teenagers, they have never been reported. I ended up calling to quit at 3am after a shift and have never felt so relieved!!!

Okay, I never did, but at a former job one department went through about five new employees in six weeks. Each lasted between a three hours (left for break, never came back) and four days. Finally, instead of just not coming back to work, one woman went to Human Resources and told them why she was quitting after a day – the manager was verbally abusive. They did eventually make the right move – she retired at the urging of the company.

I havent after one day, but after 1 week I did. It was part time help for a formal wear company, they hired us for prom season. I had NO training, they just stuck me answering phones and taking orders...stores would call in and tell me sizes and I was supposed to enter them in the computer and know if we had that size in a particular style. And the info wasnt stored on the computer - you just had to KNOW. It was horrible - I dreaded going in all week and finally on the 4th day I just left at lunch and didnt come back. They couldnt keep anyone...no wonder !

I worked one day many, many years ago in a private school. I was a classroom assistant/aftercare worker. I felt more like a custodian then anything else. I had to mop the floor, vacuum and clean the lunch room tables. The teachers yelled alot. I thought to myself as I was there, this is not for me so I never went back.

Interestingly, I now work for a school system in the HR department. What I learned was I prefer office work and adults to anything else.

Yes, I left after 1 day. I was working through a temp office and gave me a position way above my head. I thought I would be a secretary for 1 person with basic secretarial duties. I was only on for 2 weeks, while their regular secretary was on vacation. Well, I got there and the lady said I would be under 3 people and a 1-800# I'd have to keep answering. Even though 1/2 was through the day I felt exhausted because it was alot for me to do and I wasn't use to that, I stuck it out through the rest of the day (even though I wanted to walk out). I left and called my temp office and told them I'm not going back in the morning, that they didn't have a clue what my job duties would be and placed me inappropriately. They said all right. They gave me a job more suitable.

It happens, but why pretend you can do a job when it doesn't fit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter