OT- I am quitting my job after 1 day

Thanks for all your responses, I feel much better now that I called in and told them I wouldn't be back.

I was hired at a local public school preschool for a regular ed classroom aide. When I signed the letter of intent, they switched the title to one to one aide - still thinking a regular ed inclusion class. When I arrived this morning it was for severely developmentally delayed and handicapped students who require diapering... I am glad there are people who can do that type of work, but I am not one of them. I just couldn't believe they didn't think it appropriate to mention this to me before I walked in this morning. It was like bait and switch! Anyway, I guess I can't list this school as experience or reference, lol. What a day!

That's not right. I don't blame you for quitting. Hope you find another job, soon.

Honestly, esp. as there are kids involved, I'd say that quitting now would be better than staying on two weeks and having them get used to you.

Luckily, I am not leaving them short handed, except by the state guidelines. There are 4 adults (not counting me) for 11 children if they are all present, which I sensed that it doesn't happen often. One diaper or potty turn is too many for me and I would have never taken the job had I been honestly told what it entailed. Oh well, live and learn.

I am a HR professional and If I had an employee who started today and gave me a two week notice I would send them home and tell them not to come back. It is not cost effective to train someone knowing they are not going to be here in 2 weeks. I'd much rather they tell me that day that they aren't cut out for the job then lie.

HOWEVER, I use this exact same reason for a realistic job preview for everyone I hire. I tell my supervisors NOT to paint the job as roses if it really is thorns.

That is sad that they would not disclose the situation to you. I am someone who has worked in a life skills class with severely disabled children and teens. That situation is totally different than a regular classroom aide who works with special needs children which I have done as well. Not everyone is cut out for that type of work and that is ok. I have never not been told about the child or children I would work with (of course you don't know the name of the child till you work with them) and their needs. They have to know that you are the right fit for the child who should be put first and with someone who has a desire to do that job. Good for you quitting maybe that will make them understand that they need to disclose that information next time they interview a person. Don't feel bad at all you did the right thing in my opinion.

I used to be an HR'r too, and I agree - I would never let you stay for 2 weeks. You become a possible liability actually. It's one thing to have someone who's been with a job for a while simply find a better opportunity and make a good faith effort to give you a chance to a) backfill their position and b) train their replacement - they are likely friendly with coworkers and want to act fairly. But if you've only been there 1 day, what reason would you have to really care what kind of job you do in that 2 weeks?

In your case, especially, you owe the school nothing. They misrepresented the position, period. That you are not a good match is their fault, not yours. Ethics is a two way street with employment. You are under no moral obligation to stay.

BTW: the line I hate worst from interviewers is "we're like a family here." Funny how EVERYONE says it but fails to mention it's usually a family that desperately needs counseling.

BTW: the line I hate worst from interviewers is "we're like a family here." Funny how EVERYONE says it but fails to mention it's usually a family that desperately needs counseling.

OMG, that is the best line!!:rotfl: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :lmao:

Yes, I've quit more than 1 job after a day. The most memorable was a job in college I took w/a friend. I don't remember if there was even an interview, I think he just told us to show up for work & gave us an address. It was for telemarketing & it was this horribly scruffy guy w/ a few tables set up working out of a low budget hotel room. There were a few other people there so we worked our shift, left & never looked back! Today I would be horrified to think my DD would ever even walk into a situation like that. :scared1: :laughing:

Most recent was as a greeter for a funeral home. Good hours, flexible, nice pay & close to home. The bodies didn't get to me, it was the grief that did me in. I knew as soon as I saw the first viewing that I couldn't take all the sadness of watching the mourners. Finished my shift, offered to keep the others & they nicely let me go with just working 1 that they needed coverage.

That wasn't fair of them & not fair to the kids to put someone in the position without letting you know what you were in for. In certain situations, it's just better to cut the losses & get out early if you know it's not right.

Former HR generalist, current recruiter here. The school was incredibly irresponsible in their actions. One of my HR positions was with a non-profit that provided services to people with developmental disabilities. Believe me, I was VERY clear with applicants about what would be involved. To do anything less would have been unfair to both the candidate as well as the organization and residents.

You did nothing wrong in deciding that your first day would also be your last day. I'd have done the same thing. Like you, I have the utmost respect and admiration for the people who can do that type of job, they really are angels, but I couldn't do that job.

the line I hate worst from interviewers is "we're like a family here." Funny how EVERYONE says it but fails to mention it's usually a family that desperately needs counseling.

:rotfl:

May I borrow that, please?

There's been some responses fro HR people here to the effect that they would rather see a person just quit than give 2 week notice because of the costs of hiring, training, etc. While I can see their point, they should consider that the OP was, essentially lied to. Realistically, she should get compensation for her time! After all, she went into a job unclear (through no fault of her own) about the expectations. Well, there's expenses on the employees part as well as the employer's. The employee spent gas, parking, etc, perhaps a uniform, also, what about the oppoturnity cost--that is, what about possible jobs she turned down in favor of this one?

Of course, its unrealistic to expect that an employer would actually compensate an employee who had wasted her time because she was lied to, but it works both ways. The hiring company wasn't the only one who lost in this deal, maybe next time they won't try to trick an employee into working for them!

I wanted to leave my second job the first day but was talked out of it by my husband. I remained miserably for 3 months and was finally "let go" just before my probationary period was up. I learned to always listen to my inner voice. If you feel you should quit, do so. If you are asked about it in a future interview, which you won't, just tell them the truth. You knew it was wrong for you and felt it best.

Without a contract, there probably isn't much that the OP could claim was misrepresented. People aren't guaranteed jobs, and they certainly aren't guaranteed a specific job within the company.

How about this example? DH and I actually sold our house and moved across the country for him to start at a new company. Two days before his start date the company told him the position was eliminated. We spoke with a lawyer, and there was no legal recourse. Luckily, the company did quite a few things to try and mitigate the awful circumstances they put us in, and in the long run we made out OK.

All that being said, I will repeat what I said earlier...basically that the school was completely irresponsible in their actions, both to the OP and the students.

I have not quit in a day, but I work in a pediaticians office, and when we hire for the front desk we often loose people after just a day! Our phones ring off the hook most of the day, and the office manager is, well, annoying at times.

At the Disneystore, we also lost people after a day/ all the RULES, for low pay, they would freak out.

My husband did, quite a few times! In fact, before he met me he was becoming a regular at quitting after just one day!

I left from a training session for a new job after just one day - I wasn't ready to leave my baby to go back to work yet. Still not really.

Thanks for all your great responses. It's giving me the backbone to go and discuss the resignation in person w/ the HR admin this morning. I believe that I am going to write a letter to the superintendant as well. I'll post how it goes. Thanks!

Thanks for all your responses, I feel much better now that I called in and told them I wouldn't be back.

I was hired at a local public school preschool for a regular ed classroom aide. When I signed the letter of intent, they switched the title to one to one aide - still thinking a regular ed inclusion class. When I arrived this morning it was for severely developmentally delayed and handicapped students who require diapering... I am glad there are people who can do that type of work, but I am not one of them. I just couldn't believe they didn't think it appropriate to mention this to me before I walked in this morning. It was like bait and switch! Anyway, I guess I can't list this school as experience or reference, lol. What a day!

In February of this year, the school system moved my child's para-pro (classroom aide) from a regular classroom to a classroom like the OP was describing. She could have quit, as that level of staff doesn't have binding contracts -- but she is single and has to pay her bills. But she has found another job for next year....

No, I would give two weeks notice no matter how bad I hated a place

They wouldn't take it after 1 day on the job! Why would they bother training you? It would only be a liability to try to keep you from messing up too bad, but not taking the time to train you officially. If you are going to quit after one day, do them a favor and just let them know it didn't work out.

DH quit a job after about 3 hours there. He was hired as a customer contract manager for some company, which he thought meant he would handle specific questions and sales spitches to existing customers of the company. Well, when he arrived, he was told that ALL employees must first work in the [lowest] customer service branch and try to solicit new customers for their product/service at local malls. OK, he wasn't thrilled abou that, but they told him he'd only have to do it for 4 weeks before he had a chance to advance to a contract rep. He went to the mall with a woman who was supposed to show him the ropes. She handled the first 2 inquiries at their booth, and then told him to handle the next one. As soon as he was done with the potential customer, she squaked at him for 20 minutes about how how did it wrong - without actually telling him how to do it correctly. Then it came out that she had been in that job for 5 years and she was sick of new people coming in and getting jobs before she did. DH had had enough, called the boss, and said he just didn't think it was going to work out, and had to take a taxi back tot he office for his car (taxi fare = $50, paid by the company). Oh, and the "sales team" did some kind of group cheer/self-affirmation exercise before they all went out to their mall posts, so he had already had a feeling that he wouldn't like that job. We laugh about it now, but he was pretty p.o.'d that he was lied to about the job.

Wow! You've got company! I interviewed for a teacher's assistant position in our local middle school, was hired and told that my position would be to help classroom students with their work, assist the teacher, etc. I specifically asked if there would be any personal care attendant requirements for the position, and was told "absolutely not." On my first day, I was being taken through an orientation and was told my assignment was a severely handicapped young lady who needed assistance in the bathroom, including diapering...and oh, by the way, watch out because she has been known to spread feces around. I just stopped the woman right there, and said no, not for me. While I greatly admire those who can do this kind of job, and I know they are much needed, its just not for me. I was offered another role in the school but declined because my trust level was pretty low after the "bait & switch" I felt was tried.

Take heart, when one door closes, a window opens somewhere else, right?

I also worked for an attorney for 3 months also as a Paralegal and my kids take temper tantrums so I wasn't going to be with a boss/man that did. The last day was when he yelled at me cause I put the stamps on the envelopes upside down. I thought he was kidding he wasn't and I quit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter