OT: Baby names you didn't name your child

DS#1's name was a given from the start - Gannon. I loved the name and wouldn't allow anything different.

DS#2 was a little bit tougher but we decided on Hayden Riley.

Other names we liked were:

Boys
Jackson (my favorite)
Logan
Carson
Hunter

Girls
Nathalie Lauren
Jordan Cayleigh

tlbwriter said:
Could she pick two trendier names? :rotfl:

I love boy names that sound like last names - Cooper, Duncan, Parker, etc. You just have to worry that they're going to turn into girl's names... I like Evan and Logan, but now they're girl names around here! :rolleyes:

I think it is neat when a son has his mother's maiden name, or another family name that is a last name such as the above or names like Davis, Mason, Holland,Reeve, etc.

But my all time favorite name is Peyton--however this is unisex name so it might not be considered that strong.

:earsgirl: :earsgirl:

Mine are

Daniel John (traditional, but family names)
Tyler Michael (was going to be Michael, but way too many I soon discovered)
Riley Adele (again, family names DH's mom's maiden name and my mom's first name)

Only problem with Riely (she is now 4), I never heard the name used until we named her and now I hear it all the time....for boys. To me it is a girl name, I guess because we used it for a girl.

Well, here are the names we didn't use.

For DS (5), if he had been a girl, he would have been Hannah Elisabeth (or Edny Wade - for a boy, but we won't even go there!)

For DD (1), if she had been a boy, she would have been Heath Alexander. I still love that name. I'm glad she was a girl, but I almost want to have another child just so I can use Heath Alexander.

I think both of my kids' names are great Blaise Randall and Laurel Elisabeth.

Bethany. Just love that name and had that chosen ever since the ultrasound. Somehow I think Jeff is really glad we changed our mind when we saw him.

Our oldest is Matthew Michael - alternate choice would have been Andrew Allen (my DH name is Michael Allen).

Our youngest is Ryan Thomas - there really wasn't a 2nd choice for him unless we went back to the Andrew Allen but we figured if we rejected it once there was a reason.

A girl would have been Amanda or Amelia Marie - he'd still love that girl too.

We had names picked out before we were even expecting. Infact there was not thought or controversay for a girl. If we had a girl, which we did, it would be Caitlyn Kristine, very Irish and beautiful and fit her perfectly.

For a boys name we had Brenden Jeter picked out but was never able to use it because our second child (angel) was a beautiful baby girl.

It was not easy to name her we looked and searched for just the right name. We were looking for Irish also and came up with Kelley Ann but that seemed too plain next to Caitlyn Kristine. We found a name in the credits to the Sopranos and altered it to fit our needs. Our angel in heaven, we lost her after 4 struggling months on life support, is Kristiana Leigh. At the time when we picked it out we did not know she would be a heavenly angel but the name sure fits.

Our first, Bennett Isaiah, was a 2 second discussion once we found out sex of baby. Its my paternal grandfathers name and DH's paternal grandfathers name.

Our second...Ivy for a girl. Just really liked two siblings with names "Ben" and "Ivy" we found out he too was a boy and could not decide on a name. Kept saying it would be like the first time and when we found it , the name would just feel right. While pregnant the oldest (4yo) wanted to name the baby "Jack and the Beanstalk" his favorite book at the time. Well we couldn't do that...could we?? Any way the baby was born and having a lot of breathing problems...they asked us what his name was and I said, "we don't know but his older brother wants to name him Jack and the Beanstalk, so we'll probably use Jack in there somewhere>" well everyone in the room started to laugh.. and the respratory guys (2 in the room) started talking to the baby, "Come on Jack, Take a breath for us Jack , you can do this Jack." I turned to hy DH and said, "Actually Jack fits" He said , "It sure does." So there it was after 9 months of stressing over a name and knowing the sex the entire time, it took a 4 yo, two respiratory therapists and a non breathing baby to come up with the "perfect name." We did give him the more formal moniker of Jackson, because Ben was Bennett, so we wanted Jack to have a cool formal name too. Ironically it was Ben whom insisted on calling the baby Jackson, and not Jack. His middle name is Matthew after my DH, but that's another long story!!

The third time around we wanted to be surprised, so we didn't know the sex. Unfortunately I deliverd our son at 21 weeks. His name was Roderick Atticus. Tha'ts because my 2nd son (then 6 )wanted to name him "Fishing Rod." If he had been a girl, she would have been named Kathleen.

Our fourth baby, we wanted no more surprises, and found out the sex, mostly because we new it would be another boy. After all we had three boys. So of course we were majorly surprised when told she was a girl. The boy name would have been Atticus Roderick to help a part of the big brothers memory live on. We liked Caroline, Juliette, Scout, lots of names really, but the two we both liked were Audrey and Grace. However couldn't decide which we liked more, even once she was born. So we named her Audrey Grace and sometimes call her Audrey, sometimes Grace, and Sometimes Audrey Grace. I kept thinking we'd end up picking one or the other, or one would "fit" better than the other, but she's 11 months old now and we haven't settled on just one. She probably let us know when she's old enough to state her opinion.

Sorry for the long post, I just got carried away...I love all of the names we finally chose!!!!

Bennett Isaiah
Jackson Matthew
Roderick Atticus
Audrey Grace

I have 2 princesses. When I was little everyone always said I looked like the young Tatum O'neil so our first daughter's name is Taytem Ann. Our second child was a little bit harder to name. Unlike our oldest, she was stubborn baby who just wouldn't give the ultrasound tech the chance to see which sex she was until I was 8 months along! We had the names Logan, Chase, and Gabriel picked out for a boy and Payton, Morgan, and Reagan picked out for a girl. We ended up going with Payton Marie. If we ever had another child it would be Reagan Jean if a girl or Logan Andrew if a boy.

names are hard! i am pregnant right now and we can't think of anything!!
here are a few we are tossing around...but nothing definate

1st daughter-->Autumn-Verona (we love european city names!) (verona for the city where Romeo and Juliet took place)

names for baby-2-be

Boy:
Drew
parker
blake

Girl:
Bella-rosa
jasmine
Oceanna
London
Caprice

Here's my thoughts - Don't tell anyone! When we were pregnant with my first son and deciding on names we made a deal not to tell anyone our choices. You don't need anyone's 2 cents!

We didn't tell and we didn't know the sex of either pregnancy - we ended up with:

DS5 (today is his birthday!) Parker James (James after my husband)
DS3 (he turned 3 on Friday) Tyler William (William after both of our uncles)

Our top choices for Parker were Conner (mine!) which I loved, but my husband thought it sounded like a bowler/golfer (HUH?) and he wanted Tyler but the middle name was definitely James and I didn't want his family (BIG on nicknames) to call him TJ! So in an effort to compromise we pulled out the baby name book and Parker jumped out at us. I loved it! Husband thought it sounded like a quarterback! WE HAVE A WINNER! His girl's name would've been Madison Anne.

Again with Tyler husband still loved it and I thought it sounded better with William as a middle name - so really no discussion. I actually thought we were having a girl - she would've been Riley Anne.

So when we introduced our beautiful baby boys to everyone how can they comment on the name choices when they are looking at these adorable faces staring back at them! It took my mother-in-law 2 full weeks to ask us "How'd you come up with Parker?" It must have drove her crazy to wait that long!!

We have 3 kids:

Jace Thomas-8
Emma Kae-6
Abram Justice-7 months

My DH read the name Jace in a medical directory he was looking in at work and Thomas is DH's grandfathers name. We never had issues with his name.

Emma was always something I liked and DH agreed. Kae is my sisters name and DHs sisters middle name. No issues coming up with her name either.

Abram was our problem child. We had a girls name picked out. We found out the sex and had 4 months to pick his name. We finally named him 3 days after he was born, the day I went home from the hospital. Justice is the name of my best friend from high school.

Here are some names we didnt pick for Abram and the other girls names we liked:

Boys
--Camden
--Landon
--Weston
--Nathan
--Jaxon

Girls
--Annalise
--Amelia
--Cambry
--Austyn Noele(This is the name Abram would have gotten if he was a girl. Austin is my step dads middle name and Noele is my nephews wifes middle name. Abram was due on her birthday, December 22.

As a side note, completely OT....All 3 of our kids birthdays are in December. The 31st, the 4th and the 9th.

Magalex said:
Sometimes boys names seemed to be shorten when they go out in society.

When your picking a name keep that in mind: Nicknames. You may like the name Richard, but for some reason, hate Rick or Ricky. A friend of mine is called "Ian" as his mother, didn't like, or want him to have nicknames. She assumed Ian was a short enough name. Yet all his friends call him "E"

Some Boy Name I like:
Gregory (Greg)
Anthony
Spud
Evan (Van)
Danny (Dan)
Even though, I've espressed my personal opinion, Naming your Baby should be Personal, and if you disagree with anything I (or anyone else) said, don't feel like you have to agree! Name your child whatever feels right to you!

Congratulations and Good Luck with the naming process!

---------------------------
Love,
merfsko

Im with the others that say-
Keep it to yourself until the baby comes! No matter when anybody asked while waiting for dd I just said we had no idea-
Had enough of the comments when pregnant the first time nobody liked our choice of Grace- oh well he turned out to be a James anyway!

I still get people's opinions on my DD name. She's 5. I named her Leigh (prounced lee) Christa. I get you, should have switched the names around or I should have named her leah. I wanted a cute simple name. I'm not a big nickname person and my ex's family all go by nicknames. There's A LOT of popular names I do not like but I never say anything to these people. Naming a child is and should be a personal decision.

If my DD would have been a boy her name would have been Caleb Lee.

My wife and I liked a little meaning in our kids names. For our daughter we picked the name of a beautiful flower from my wife's country (Sweden). So, our DD4's name is Linnea.

For our DS10months, our meaning is a little different. My wife and I both love the water and everything about it. I was a spring board/platform diver through college. We are both avid scuba divers and I even proposed underwater during one of our dives. So we thought it would be nice to have the name have some meaning towards water. So we chose Kai, which means ocean in Hawaiian.

For our middle names, we choose some connection with our own siblings. Our DD has my SIL name and our DS has my brother's middle name.

Best of Luck!

I am proud mother to
Lauren Elise
Jenna Nicole
David Christian (Trey, as my hubby and his father are David also)

I pulled really hard for Shelby Elise for my first but Hubby said Shelby is a car (mustang). I wanted Tate for my son as my great grandfater (William Tate) and my dearest cousin (Matthew Tate), share the name. Hubby really wanted a son to be named after him and David Tate just didn't do it for me. My name is Christy, so in a way he carries my name as well. Jenna was no problem. She is dainty and feminine and the name suits her perfectly...it didn't hurt that her godmother is named Jennifer so in a way it is a nod to her as well.

Good luck!

I like traditional, gender-specific names that aren't currently too popular. In our case, we already had 19 nieces and nephews, and a number of names that I liked had already been taken.

For girls:
Evelyn
Fiona
Meredith
Miriam
Naomi
Sophie

For boys:
David
Joseph
Stephen

We got to only choose names for half of our children! Our eldest son was adopted at birth and we named him Cameron Nicholas. Nicholas was the name his birthmom was going to name him had she not chosen to place him for adoption and we felt it would be honoring her if we used it in his legal name. Originally we'd chosen Cameron Taylor. He'll be 12 next month.

Our second son, born to us 4½ years later, is Collin James (James is after my fil). He is 7 now.

The 2 we didn't get to name:

Our third son came to us through an older child adoption at just shy of age 7½ (in February) and his name is Taylor Luis. We thought it was cool that it was the name we'd chosen as a middle name for our eldest and hadn't used.

Our fourth son, who joined our family in May, is Daniel Joseph (and Joseph happens to be my father's middle name, so he's happy with that!). He just turned 6 years old in February.

We really think all of our kids' names fit them, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter