Ortho Rant Ahead...

DD18 had 2 phases but her front top teeth were so crooked that I was not going to subject her to additional years and potential teasing for one treatment. Luckily, we changed jobs/insurance so there was a $1500 limit towards ortho both times.

DD12 is in braces - 1 phase - and we were recently forced to change orthos when ours up and closed shop unexpectedly. I am not in favor of paying in full up front and am thankful we were on payments. We have $1500 towards ortho for DD and use our pre-tax to cover the payments.

I'm curious who has used dental coverage towards ortho and how much it helped...

No ortho or dental coverage. My almost 11 year old has been through the ringer with his teeth.. 3 oral surgeries. Or dentist and ortho are great though. Our ortho does not do 2 phase braces. When we were referred there when Declan was 9 he flat out said i dont see them this young ( he looks younger than he is)..but once he looked in Declan mouth it was a whole other story. He's had invisalign and a quad helix along with a space maintainer. We go back in a week to see if it's braces time. His mouth has cost us over 15k and we haven't even gotten to braces yet. I'm not a person that things kids need perfect teeth..my oldest never had braces ( has great teeth but not Hollywood perfect). Declan's teeth were bad.. all twisted and a mess. it was a self esteem issue for sure along with a multitude of issues. We've had to budget hard to pay for all his issues.. but it's worth it!

I've had a permanent wire behind my front top teeth for just about 9 years. I've had to have it replaces once during that time frame. I'd ask why it isn't "working" for your son. It is nice to have because it really does keep those teeth tight together (I also have retainters for night).

I'm curious who has used dental coverage towards ortho and how much it helped...

DD just started with her braces last month. Our original quote was $2800 for phase one. With our insurance adjustment, we are only paying $800. Insurance paid $1200. So for us, it helped ALOT. Of course when we get to phase 2, there will be no more insurance $$ to help.

I shopped orthos for cost. This office is very swanky but the price was much more reasonable.

I think that the wires do work for most people, sounds to me like for some reason it just isn't sticking for your son. I just went in a few years ago and had mine removed after about 13 years. Because I did that, I know quite a few people who still have them. I am 31 and many of my friends got their braces off around 14-16 years old.

My 8 yo dd is going to need braces eventually because she was a thumb sucker. She's pretty much broken the habit but the damage has been done. I have to call around to see when I should bring her in. At least my insurance pays 50% of the total cost.

I feel your pain! I have four kids in braces right now! Our insurance only pays a small fraction!

Our dental insurance pays nothing towards ortho :sad2: So, our dd who is 12 is currently one year into her braces. The cost was $5295 and that includes everything other than loss of retainer. We are on a monthly (no interest) payment plan. $500 down/$200 per month for 2 years I think. We submit through our flex plan for reimbursement but we have to do each payment that way. They would not allow us to submit the entire cost upfront even if we were choosing to pay it all upfront because the treatment and cost is phased over 2 years.

Invisalign would have been $6000. In talking to others around the country, it appears ortho cost really vary by region.

I pay about $6500 for each of my kids' braces, but so far, they're very good at replacing/fixing things that break, at no cost to me. Dd16 has her braces off, and now only has the plastic retainer, but will get a permanant one put in. I can't imagine them charging me if it breaks - heck, I want my own waiting room chair with my name on it!

Oh how I wish DD didn't need braces! I feel sorry for the kid. DD11 is in her first phase which started a year ago. The only reason we started so early (she only has 7 adult teeth) is to correct her underbite. Her top teeth now come in front like they should but it seems like they are "flared" out to make that happen. It bothers DD.

They haven't made any adjustments for a few months, so I think they are just waiting for more teeth to grow in. I wish she could have them off for a while. Tomorrow we'll see what the ortho says. They originally told us 12-15 months and it has been 13 months. I figure though we will have to leave them on because she has gaps where the canines need to come in and if she has no braces her top ones have room to shift. Those canines want to come in sideways, too. They want to put a brace on the unerupted canines and pull them down straight, but want more adult teeth to anchor to. At the rate she looses teeth, it will be a long wait. Ugh, I don't know what will happen!

It also seems like we have a high rate of poky wires in the back, broken wires (she has a long expanse of wire from the back tooth to where her adult teeth are in front with no brackets between), etc. and it always happens on a weekend.

Those are my rants! DD14 could have some minor issues fixed, I haven't decided whether to mess with it or not. Hers would probably be pretty easy and quick, but DD11's experiences make me not want to subject anyone else to this!

First phase was $2100. Who knows what cost is in our future.

7200 dollares and worth every penny.......we have no dental insurance so we struggled to pay it...........but saved my son Jaw surgery ( not fun).........thank GOD.............. thought we have Health insurance and would have been alot cheaper......could not imagine putting him thru the surgery.....so when our ortho told us he couldnt guarentee that braces would fix such an extreme case but he would give it a whirl............... 5 1/2 yrs later.........have a 17 year old son with a killer smile.........and no longer has trouble speaking cause of his EXTREME overbite................

I've had a permanent wire behind my front top teeth for just about 9 years. I've had to have it replaces once during that time frame. I'd ask why it isn't "working" for your son. It is nice to have because it really does keep those teeth tight together (I also have retainters for night).

I don't know what the deal is and why the chain doesn't stay put. I ask if he is chewing on hard stuff but he is not and don't really serve hard stuff to eat at dinner...you know, like hard crusty breads. I don't get it.

I think that the wires do work for most people, sounds to me like for some reason it just isn't sticking for your son. I just went in a few years ago and had mine removed after about 13 years. Because I did that, I know quite a few people who still have them. I am 31 and many of my friends got their braces off around 14-16 years old.

Wow, after 13 years why did you have it removed? Does it bother you? Just curious?

When I was growing up I don't remember kids in braces before middle school. Nice way for orthos to charge for braces twice: once in elementary school and once in middle school.

Ugh I had braces from 3rd grade to 5th grade and then again from 6th grade until I was a freshman in high school. Yeah I was that kid. I am also in my 31 so when I had my first round of braces it was the old school rail road track kind where the brackets poped open for the wire to go through (no rubber bands back then) so it was very painful. But now I have a great looking smile so very thankful to my parents.

Also my son is 11 and has been seeing the ortho since he was 8. He will prob be having braces put on sooner than later. Right now he has a type of top retainer holding spaces from having teeth pulled because he has a crowding issue and it caused his perm teeth to come in almost on top of each other. I feel sorry for what he has to go through and only hope our 6yr old won't also have the same problem. Only time will tell.

3rd kid is in braces now at 16 (had to wait for all her teeth to fall out). This time around it was $6200, insurance is picking up $2k, I put up $1200 deposit and pay the rest monthly. She will be in braces less than one year. Her treatment includes suresmile (www.suresmile.com) which is pretty cool and cuts the treatment time. Robots bend the wires to very precisely straighten the teeth. Her teeth were bad, the braces were very needed.

Kid 1 went to a different ortho, I paid like $60 a month for years (3?) and his teeth all shifted a few years after it was done. took the girls elsewhere

DD2 I paid $250 a month for 12 months, insurance paid $1000 and I put $1800 up front. she did not get the sure smile, they dr didn't do it then. her teeth look awesome and have not had a lot of shifting.

I agree with the previous poster that ortho is a racket. Every kid today gets braces. I have 3. My middle one did need them, crooked and crowded teeth. She got an expander at 11 to widen her top jaw, then braces at 13. Insurance paid a life time max of $1200, her total for everything was around $4,700. She got her braces off a year ago and only has nightly silicone retainers she has to wear, no permanent bar.

My other two; their teeth look perfect but the dentist said older dd has a slight under bite and should get braces and DS has a slight over bite and should get braces, but perfect teeth otherwise. We are not getting those two braces, I'm sure they'll be fine. DH and I both have slight over bites and under bites and no problems with our teeth.

Reading this thread with great interest.

DD9 will need braces but we haven't selected ortho yet so no specific plan or pricing yet.

Just did 2013 benefits at work and our dental plan has a basic tier with no ortho coverage or a higher end product with a $2k lifetime max per person, but looking at the premiums, it would cost us an extra $945 per year for our 3 person family.

So the break even point then for the insurance is if the treatment plan exceeds $2k within a 2 yr period as that would be what we'd need to pay in extra premiums just to get the insurance coverage.

I'm sure this coverage makes more sense for families with more kids, but not so for ours.

Question for the parents who got their kids braces:

Do you pay up front for everything? Just curious how it works. I will not be getting my daugther braces until she is in middle school. Teeth shift, etc. I don't want to do braces twice.

We had the option to pay everything up front for a slight discount, but opted to make payments instead. Mostly because we didn't have the money to pay up front. We were presented with a bill that showed the total cost, less estimated insurance portion, less deposit. From that point there were two figures, one with a small discount for up front payment and one with the monthly payment amount over the course of the treatment. We were not forced to make a decision on the spot and encouraged to go home and look everything over. When we decided to go forward with treatment we made the first appointment and paid the deposit.

My oldest has been going to this Orthodontist yearly since she was 9 for "observation". Both the Orthodontist and our pediatric dentist (who we love) really wanted to wait until she had the majority, or preferably all, of her adult teeth so they could better judge the work that needed to be done. She got her braces on at 13 and still had 4 primary teeth left, but she loses them SO slow that the worry became if they waited longer she would have to have more extensive work since the rest of her bones were nearly set.

Our total bill for all work, material, appliances (including the expander, braces, and retainer) office visits, 3 "free" repair visits, sonicare brush and everything else we have needed thus far was $5380. The insurance we had when she began treatment covered a lifetime max of $1500, so that brought it down to $3880. We had a deposit of $880 and the remaining $3000 was broken into payments over the treatment period. So it helped, but not as much as some. We can use our FSA to pay our monthly bills.

I agree with the previous poster that ortho is a racket. Every kid today gets braces. I have 3. My middle one did need them, crooked and crowded teeth. She got an expander at 11 to widen her top jaw, then braces at 13. Insurance paid a life time max of $1200, her total for everything was around $4,700. She got her braces off a year ago and only has nightly silicone retainers she has to wear, no permanent bar.

My other two; their teeth look perfect but the dentist said older dd has a slight under bite and should get braces and DS has a slight over bite and should get braces, but perfect teeth otherwise. We are not getting those two braces, I'm sure they'll be fine. DH and I both have slight over bites and under bites and no problems with our teeth.

My oldest needed braces, my middle likely doesn't, though the ped dentist hasn't ruled out the possibility and my youngest most likely will. I think at our visit in Jan we will be referred. Her teeth are so tight and small. Now that she has started losing teeth they are coming in all crazy due to crowding. I fully expect to have her in expanders soon. We'll see after that. I agree with you though, that if my middle doesn't *need* them, we aren't going to do it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter