• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Oregon to WDW Will Be Quite the Adventure~Going LIVE!!

I understand the nervousness. The first trip I planned for the kids, I was a nervous wreck until it was over. I wanted everything to be perfect. I was hoping I was making the right decisions that would be just what my kids wanted. It was not a perfect trip (chafing, oh my goodness, the chafing! and the Disney rash). However, it was so much fun and so many great memories and some of those plans I had made, we cancelled. Your kids will have a blast. Were there disappointments? Yes. You can't control everything, such as the kids standing in line for 25 minutes to see a character and they are next up and it starts raining and the character leaves. It happens and the kids cry. Or, the pin backs that you bought that are supposed to keep those pins on permanently, don't work, and they lose their most favorite pin in the world. It happens. Or, the Mickey Sorcerer hat that your daughter buys, falls off her head during a ride and you end up having to go to the Central lost and found (kind of a dump and not very magical at all) and when it is returned it has black grease all over it. Or, you bought tickets for the dessert party and fireworks, and your youngest gets sick and you spend the entire time in the crowded yucky bathroom. We have had numerous things go wrong, but with all of that, it is still the most favorite place that my kids and I want to go.

So don't be so nervous you can't enjoy the process. They won't want to do things that you think would be perfect, before park opening character breakfasts for one. I am still bummed about not going to Crystal Palace before park opening, but they were very much against it. Plan what you think will be great. That is all anyone can do. They will think it is amazing.

I understand the nervousness. The first trip I planned for the kids, I was a nervous wreck until it was over. I wanted everything to be perfect. I was hoping I was making the right decisions that would be just what my kids wanted. It was not a perfect trip (chafing, oh my goodness, the chafing! and the Disney rash). However, it was so much fun and so many great memories and some of those plans I had made, we cancelled. Your kids will have a blast. Were there disappointments? Yes. You can't control everything, such as the kids standing in line for 25 minutes to see a character and they are next up and it starts raining and the character leaves. It happens and the kids cry. Or, the pin backs that you bought that are supposed to keep those pins on permanently, don't work, and they lose their most favorite pin in the world. It happens. Or, the Mickey Sorcerer hat that your daughter buys, falls off her head during a ride and you end up having to go to the Central lost and found (kind of a dump and not very magical at all) and when it is returned it has black grease all over it. Or, you bought tickets for the dessert party and fireworks, and your youngest gets sick and you spend the entire time in the crowded yucky bathroom. We have had numerous things go wrong, but with all of that, it is still the most favorite place that my kids and I want to go.

So don't be so nervous you can't enjoy the process. They won't want to do things that you think would be perfect, before park opening character breakfasts for one. I am still bummed about not going to Crystal Palace before park opening, but they were very much against it. Plan what you think will be great. That is all anyone can do. They will think it is amazing.

There are so many firsts, the nerves are definitely hitting as we try to make sure that we consider everyone's different needs & anxieties. None of the kids have flown, so taking 5 kids, new to planes with 3 of them being special needs......I'm a little panicky (especially since I'm not the best flyer myself) :scared:

Hoping with the DAS & FP+ we will be able to have a little flexibility in our schedule. The meals are set but they have to eat, so that part doesn't worry much. I have no idea if Jasmine will like characters or rides. She's never experienced either.....ever, of any form or place. The twins actually did really well last summer at Disneyland, so not as worried about them.....more for Jasmine.

I'm praying we avoid someone getting sick.....going in the heat of summer, we will have to be super careful to keep kids cool & hydrated (and Mike & I too). My grown son, Tyler, who decided not to join us, has a real problem with heat & getting heat exhaustion (close to heat stroke). So actually relieved he isn't going this trip.

Thank you for the support!!! :flower1:

100 days!! YAY!!

Looking forward to hearing how these first days go! :)

Been busy since we brought Jasmine home last Thursday. She played in her first challenger league baseball game & did really well!! She didn't want to hit off the tee, she wanted to hit off coach pitch & she did all 3 times! We've painted nails, gone to pizza, played baseball, met our new grandma & toured the school and met the teacher. Tomorrow we meet to go over her IEP and set her start date.....hopefully Thursday.

We've been showing her Disney movies so she'll understand a little bit about WDW. We've watched Cinderella, Snow White, Aladdin, 101 Dalmatians & Tangled. She thinks maybe we should visit this place.....lol

Yay! Jasmine is there. Sounds like you have been super busy. That is quite the transition. Hopefully, the IEP meeting goes well and she can start soon. When we moved to Eugene, Jacob didn't actually start school for a month. So frustrating. We had the IEP, they wanted to evaluate him to get the correct placement. He was allowed to attend for one hour a day, until they had evaluated him for like 2 weeks. Finally, they let him start attending half days (he was in 6th grade!). After a month of that, they transferred him to the Middle School / High School for students on the spectrum. He really liked it there and that was good for him. He is almost 20 and they have moved that school, but they put the transitions program in the same building, so he has been attending classes there for 8 years.

I am sure you have more experience with IEP meetings than I did when we first moved here, so hopefully, getting her started in school will be a better process.

Have a great day.

Yay! Jasmine is there. Sounds like you have been super busy. That is quite the transition. Hopefully, the IEP meeting goes well and she can start soon. When we moved to Eugene, Jacob didn't actually start school for a month. So frustrating. We had the IEP, they wanted to evaluate him to get the correct placement. He was allowed to attend for one hour a day, until they had evaluated him for like 2 weeks. Finally, they let him start attending half days (he was in 6th grade!). After a month of that, they transferred him to the Middle School / High School for students on the spectrum. He really liked it there and that was good for him. He is almost 20 and they have moved that school, but they put the transitions program in the same building, so he has been attending classes there for 8 years.

I am sure you have more experience with IEP meetings than I did when we first moved here, so hopefully, getting her started in school will be a better process.

Have a great day.

I was able to get a copy of the IEP to the teacher ahead of time, so she has had a week to work on things & hopefully have everything ready for her to start. They have to hold this meeting prior to her attending school, so I hope that was the only thing holding it up. I know she talked about starting her out for a few hours and increase as she settles into it, but she's used to going full day, so I will see what they decide this afternoon. She's bored at home with no one here to play with.....even though she came from a foster home where she was the only child.

Glad your son got into a program he likes! The assistant manager at the Safeway my husband & I work at here in Corvallis has a son on the spectrum and they live in Eugene.....wonder if your son knows their son?? Small world huh?!

Update: Was able to drop our 8:50pm dinner ADR at Be Our Guest on our last night for an opening dinner time at 4pm. That may sound early, but with that being our last day....I'm guessing we will all be feeling tired at this point and having an earlier dinner may be a very good thing for our group. We can leave before the masses leave after the fireworks. So I'm happy with the change. It also gives us a better chance of being seated by the windows in the ballroom!!

Actually sounds like a reasonable change that really may be a good thing. 4:00 isn't so bad. By the time you get seated and ordered and eating, it'll be 4:20 or later anyway. :)

4 pm sounds fine for dinner, especially if you aren't leaving for a break. Plus, with it being when it opens, you should be able to get seated easier, since there won't be people in there not leaving.

Actually sounds like a reasonable change that really may be a good thing. 4:00 isn't so bad. By the time you get seated and ordered and eating, it'll be 4:20 or later anyway. :)

4 pm sounds fine for dinner, especially if you aren't leaving for a break. Plus, with it being when it opens, you should be able to get seated easier, since there won't be people in there not leaving.

The more I think about it, the better I like the 4pm dinner time. 11 days of vacation will surely have taken it's toll by then and I find it doubtful that we will stay late and watch fireworks on that last night. We are doing the Dessert Party earlier on, so we don't have to stay for them on our last night. I think doing the early dinner and ending on that high note and heading back to the motel to pack and get to bed early will be the plan. We have a 10am flight out of Orlando the next morning....so I'm guessing a 7am pick up from the Magical Express.

Made a couple more small time adjustments on our meals. Now I'm very happy with meal times we have set!!
These are our 11 Table Service Meals (we pre-paid our CRT dinner)

We fly in on August 7
August 8: 9:45am Kona Café & 7:20pm Cape May Café
August 9: 6:55pm Cinderella's Royal Table
August 10: 7:05pm Coral Reef
August 11: 11:15am 50's Prime Time & 7:05pm Sci-Fi Dine In Theater
August 12: 8:05pm Ohana's
August 13: 9:50am 1900 Park Fare & 6:35pm Boatwright's
August 14: 6:05pm Crystal Palace
August 15: No Table Service
August 16: 6:50pm Garden Grill
August 17: 4:00pm Be Our Guest
We fly out on August 18

Our 11 Quick Service:

Everything Pop~~Dinner
Earl of Sandwich~~Lunch
Casey's Corner~~Lunch
Sunshine Seasons~~Lunch
Flame Tree BBQ~~Lunch
Golden Oak Outpost &/or Peco's Bill's~~Lunch
Yak & Yeti Local Foods~~Lunch
Mara~~Dinner
Liberty Inn~~Lunch
Columbia Harbour House &/or Cosmic Ray's~~Lunch
Everything Pop~~Breakfast

Special Extras:

August 9~~Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique
August 14~~Wishes Dessert Party

Woot Woot!! Happy Birthday Michayla and Shyann!! Mine is on Saturday. Are you guys doing anything for their birthday? Also, just wanted to let you know that I am planning on doing a trip report on my disney cruise so stay tuned

Last edited:
80 days! Wow, how did that get here so fast?

So glad everything has come together and the transition with Jasmine seems to be going well. You are a very blessed family!

I know, time is going faster then usual.......still so much to get paid off & running out of paydays between now & then.

Things really have gone much better then anybody expected. I think the foster mom was full of crap about a lot of the stuff she said was going on......OR, maybe because we are complete opposites in parenting & personalities....that she is thriving here with our more relaxed lifestyle. She seems very happy and I know we are over the moon happy having her with us!

How was the twins birthday? What did you end up doing?

We celebrated on Saturday. The girls brought the snack for the end of the game of their Challenger League baseball. Then we had Shy's favorite dinner~~Nachos! They opened presents & had a little cake. Not very exciting but good enough for them. They also had a small party in their class on Friday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter