Orbitz Discounts

Orbitz is totally legit
They get rates from Disney and offer rooms at those rates. Then they have discount codes, like you found, that stack on top of the rate Disney gives them the rooms for.
Sometimes the rates they have from Disney are rack rate. Sometimes they are the current discount rate you find on the Disney site. The Orbitz site usually informs you when the rate you are looking at has a discount (such as the up to 25% off Discount Disney offers for fall rates)
When you search for a room, Search for Walt Disney World and 4 Star and above and it typically will weed out the off site rooms. Enter your dates and the current Orbitz promo code and you'll see the total you pay. You can then compare that to the amount you'd pay to Disney for that room and decide if it's discounted enough to warrant paying in advance.
When you do book you will get the reservation number you need to link the reservation in to MDE. It is right there in the confirmation email from Orbitz
If you have children in your reservation you will need to add them manually as Orbitz will charge you for the children even though Disney does not. You can either get a refund from Orbtiz or just call and add them manually after you complete your reservations for the adults.

Orbitz is totally legit
They get rates from Disney and offer rooms at those rates. Then they have discount codes, like you found, that stack on top of the rate Disney gives them the rooms for.
Sometimes the rates they have from Disney are rack rate. Sometimes they are the current discount rate you find on the Disney site. The Orbitz site usually informs you when the rate you are looking at has a discount (such as the up to 25% off Discount Disney offers for fall rates)
When you search for a room, Search for Walt Disney World and 4 Star and above and it typically will weed out the off site rooms. Enter your dates and the current Orbitz promo code and you'll see the total you pay. You can then compare that to the amount you'd pay to Disney for that room and decide if it's discounted enough to warrant paying in advance.
When you do book you will get the reservation number you need to link the reservation in to MDE. It is right there in the confirmation email from Orbitz
If you have children in your reservation you will need to add them manually as Orbitz will charge you for the children even though Disney does not. You can either get a refund from Orbtiz or just call and add them manually after you complete your reservations for the adults.
Thank you! I really appreciate all of the info. so quickly! I hope you have a magical day Angi!

Last edited:
would you call Orbitz or Disney to have the children added?
I did both actually.
I booked with DH and I, loaded the reservation in to MDE
I called Orbtiz (or did online chat) and added the child
Got a new confirmation number (important to get this, I think)
I then called Disney to give them the new confirmation number that included the child.

Yes you can use that code. I have booked through orbitz twice now and had no issues either time. The first for Animal Kingdom Lodge and the second for Pop Century. They will give you the code you put into MDE on the reservation confirmation. Sometimes you have to wait about 30 minutes before it will recognize it though!

when you book through orbitz, after you receive your Disney confirmation number. Make sure to update the shipping address for your magic bands. It defaults to orbitx business address in chicago. other than that orbitz can definitely save some cash.

There's a Facebook group I belong too and there's a discussion about booking with 3rd parties. Orbitz wasn't specifically mentioned but a few others were (Expedia, Travelocity, etc.). I've read the posts and the general consensus is that most of the time the price is too good to be true or, the 3rd party price isn't including something that the Disney price is (tickets, dining plan, etc.)

I'm booked through Orbitz for this trip. It's a better price than I could get by going directly through Disney. Reading the Facebook posts has me nervous. So my question is this - the price I already paid, that's it right? There aren't any surprise charges at check-in or check-out?

Everything looks normal to me when I look at my MDE account - room reservation, tickets, ADRs, Magic Bands, FastPass+, names, contact information. It's all there.

There's a Facebook group I belong too and there's a discussion about booking with 3rd parties. Orbitz wasn't specifically mentioned but a few others were (Expedia, Travelocity, etc.). I've read the posts and the general consensus is that most of the time the price is too good to be true or, the 3rd party price isn't including something that the Disney price is (tickets, dining plan, etc.)

I'm booked through Orbitz for this trip. It's a better price than I could get by going directly through Disney. Reading the Facebook posts has me nervous. So my question is this - the price I already paid, that's it right? There aren't any surprise charges at check-in or check-out?

Everything looks normal to me when I look at my MDE account - room reservation, tickets, ADRs, Magic Bands, FastPass+, names, contact information. It's all there.
I don't think there's any issues going with reputable third-parties like Orbitz, Expedia, or Travelocity. For all of them, the price you pay upon booking is the total amount that's due. There's not anything else you have to pay at any other time. And, you're entitled to everything any Disney resort guest receives, whether they book through Disney or elsewhere -- Magic Bands, 180+10 ADR's, 60 days FP's, Magical Express, etc.

The only differences are that you can't add the dining plan, and you pay in full when you make the reservation. However, the rooms should be fully refundable, so there's no worry. Just check the cancellation terms.

As others have said, the only other two things you need to do are change your magic band shipping address to your own (if it's not), and, with Orbitz, realize that they automatically charge extra if you book 4 people to a room, even if 2 are children. So, just book for 2 people, and call to add the others for free. It's not too good to be true, but it is good to save!

i just booked my first hotel stay with orbitz. I usually book direct through Disney but the orbitz price saved me more money and allwoed me to book a standard pop room with the current discount. As far as i can see i should have no problems. like mentioned earlier, make sure to change your Magic Bands shipping address.

Just wanted to echo what some others have said about Orbitz. I have used them at least 3 times and I have used Travelocity once and have had no issues at all at check in, check out or during my stay. Yes, there is an extra step or two to connect to MDE and to add children if you need to but it is usually well worth the savings.

Thanks everyone for your responses and assurances regarding what I read on Facebook and booking with Orbitz. I trust the information and experiences from here so I'm not going to worry about it. :thumbsup2

As an aside, I was just on the phone with Orbitz to add my son to the reservation and it worked exactly like I've read here - no extra charge since he's under 18.

She gave me the reservation confirmation number that Disney is using (12 digit number that starts with a 4). I don't do anything with that do I? My reservation is already linked using the hotel confirmation number (combination of 6 letters and/or numbers) provided by Orbitz when I first booked.

I changed the address for the Magic Bands previously. I'll check the one for my son while I customize it, just in case.

:thanks:

She gave me the reservation confirmation number that Disney is using (12 digit number that starts with a 4). I don't do anything with that do I? My reservation is already linked using the hotel confirmation number (combination of 6 letters and/or numbers) provided by Orbitz when I first booked.

If you will be adding the magical express to your reservation, you will need to give them that Disney #. I guess they can only read Disney numbers. Other than that...you won't need it. Your Orbitz # will link in your MDE and that will work like it does for any other reservation.

And just to give you one more positive story, last year I used Cheap Tickets with a 25% off code that stacked on top of the discount Disney was offering to the GP. That saved me about $300 additional and I had previously booked with the Military discount. They are owned by Orbitz. Sadly, their codes no longer can be applied to WDW resorts, but Orbitz codes still can. The only reason I didn't book with Orbitz this year is my savings was only about $75. For that amount I prefer that I can make monthly payments towards the trip at 0% interest rather than book in full on my credit card and have interest charges that would probably negate a savings that little.

regards

BTW, Orbitz has another discount right now for 15% off trips through March 31, 2016. Code: PACKYOURBAGS

~Cari~ pluto:

Orbitz works for room offers only. Not Magic Your Way. You can get paper tickets and sometimes use the codes to get them at a discount. You can then add them to MDE.

I've also become a fan of Orbitz room only discounts. Our visits were usually short ones: a long weekend or a day or 2 pre-cruise. For those of you with longer stays and are disappointed by having your discount limited, Travelocity also offers similar promo codes and it doesn't limit to $150. I haven't used them but I did notice they don't offer rewards like Orbitz does. We did get to apply $12 in Orbucks to our long weekend stay in Dec. That booking then generated another $22 in Orbucks for a future stay. I don't know if Orbucks expire though. Also for longer stays obviously having the larger discount may outweigh getting $20 or so toward a future stay.
I would think it all varies with length of stay and how expensive your total is. Run the numbers and compare. All promo codes are usually found on retailmenot.com :goodvibes

Hmm.. tried to book through Orbitz tonight. Tried 3 times but keep getting an error message saying it was unable to complete the transaction and try again later. I checked by CC and it goes through and then gets credited back. 2 different cards.

Strange... and tonight is the last night you can use the code. Would have saved me around $75. Oh well. Wonder if it's related to showing a slightly different rate than I see on the Disney site. Orbitz shows $236/night while Disney shows $242... (before code)

That is strange. I would use their online chat for help. If you can't tonight, don't stress. Soon they will be offering another code. They almost always have one out there. I think the key is to book while Disney is still offering their discount.

Yeah I just tried one last time with VISA CHECKOUT this time and still no good... Unable to complete this booking at this time....

Oh well. Off to bed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter