Opinions on Ft. Wilderness Cabins

tinkerbellybutton

DIS Veteran
For those who have stayed in a cabin at Ft. Wilderness what was your opinion of them? Did you enjoy it? Was transportation a pain? Would you stay there again? How was housekeeping? Was the cabin clean? Did you rent a golf cart?

We are thinking about a short, 5 night, stay for Mardi Gras and are wanting to try some place new. It's my son's birthday and I usually let my kids pick any resort they want when it's their birthday, but he can't decide. When I mentioned the cabins both my kids seemed interested. I'd love to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!

My kids usually pick WL for a birthday trip, but we've stayed there so many times, and will be back at WL for Thanksgiving 2013, so we kind of all want something new. Not sure we'd want to stay in the cabins for a whole week, so since this would be a shrorter trip might be a good time to try it.

We had an enjoyable stay at the cabins. Travel party was me, 10 yo nephew, dear friend of mine and her 4 yo DD. My friend and her DD had the bedroom, I had the Murphy bed (very comfy, BTW) and dear nephew had the choice of the living room couch or top bunk in the bedroom.

We had groceries delivered and cooked one dinner-mostly on the outdoor grill. I made breakfast each morning. It was lovely sitting on the deck-quite peaceful, actually. The resort transportation was great. The pool had just been remodeled before our trip.

My nephew, now 13, still says it is his favorite place we have stayed (BC, family suite at ASMu, POFQ). I would definately go back, although I do like having the 2d bathroom in the value suites. We lucked out and got one of the cabins in the 100 loop which put us close to a lot of things. My friend got a golf cart due to her mobility issues, but my nephew and I didn't use it much. The cabin was very clean and housekeeping was great-we still laugh about not only having a dishwasher while "camping" but also someone who came in and loaded it for us!

I can't answer from experience yet but I can share some of the things that helped me make our decision.
We're bringing dd's friend with us this time and budget and space were the two most important issues. 2 value rooms would have been a little bit cheaper, but not much when we paid to upgrade our free quick service dining to regular dining. One deluxe room still had us all sleeping in the same space which wasn't enough privacy for me with an extra teen in our party.

I am excited about the cabins for several reasons. A full kitchen for breakfasts, separate sleeping areas, a deck to sit out on, more quiet and peaceful than a traditional hotel, the campfire singalong and movie night, watching Wishes from the beach, having our car right at the front door, and the boat to go to MK.

We originally booked a golf cart but cancelled. This is a second trip for us this year and I set a budget for it, and the golf cart was pushing us over. We'll be in the parks so much it really won't kill us to use the internal buses to go to the pool and the other areas.

We leave in 11 days and I am really looking forward to it! I may miss being in the middle of it all like we have been on our previous trips but honestly I think I am going to appreciate having a quieter place to go back to after long hot days in the parks.
Good Luck with your decision.:)

For those who have stayed in a cabin at Ft. Wilderness what was your opinion of them? Did you enjoy it? Was transportation a pain? Would you stay there again? How was housekeeping? Was the cabin clean? Did you rent a golf cart?

We are thinking about a short, 5 night, stay for Mardi Gras and are wanting to try some place new. It's my son's birthday and I usually let my kids pick any resort they want when it's their birthday, but he can't decide. When I mentioned the cabins both my kids seemed interested. I'd love to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!

My kids usually pick WL for a birthday trip, but we've stayed there so many times, and will be back at WL for Thanksgiving 2013, so we kind of all want something new. Not sure we'd want to stay in the cabins for a whole week, so since this would be a shrorter trip might be a good time to try it.

My party of eight (with two more at a nearby campsite) enjoyed the cabins very much. We were aged 5-80. Housekeeping was fantastic if a bit overneat. We had an empty dishwasher and I used a glass for water in the morning. When we got back, that glass was in the dishwasher all nice and clean. Your Do Not Disturb sign is a magnet on the front door. We didn't find the transportation to be a pain at all, not even the older folk. We did not rent a golf cart and at no time felt it was needed, not even the older folk.

I loved having two doors at the cabins so when I woke up in the morning, I could easily go out to the deck and wait for the others to get up. Also, I could easily go out there in my PJs as most other folks were doing that too.

The downside is there is only one bathroom but if you utilize the kitchen sink for things, you should be fine. Package delivery is to a trading post so we just let our things there until the day we left and then drove over for them. There is no food court but that didn't bother us.

We are nature lovers and it was great place for our large party. My granddaughter learned a ton of things from my husband and my late father-in-law. One of the nicest trips ever.

I loved having two doors at the cabins so when I woke up in the morning, I could easily go out to the deck and wait for the others to get up. Also, I could easily go out there in my PJs as most other folks were doing that too.

The downside is there is only one bathroom but if you utilize the kitchen sink for things, you should be fine.

Ohhh, the part about going out on your deck in PJs in the mornings sounds great! DH and I would love to have coffee on the deck in the morning while the kids sleep in.

There are only 4 of us so the one bathroom situation shouldn't be a problem. If we didn't stay in the cabin we would be in a regular room with only one bathroom anyway.

We've been so many times we are trying to make new experiences for ourselves, which is why the cabins seem appealing at this time. We always try to stay at a new resort to keep things fresh, but I think the cabins would feel even more different than just a new resort.

My family has been staying in the cabins since the early 80's. We stayed while children were young and now stay with grown children, spouses and grandchildren. We have also stayed with parents. We are a four generation cabin lovers. We have stayed at the Wilderness Lodge, Polynesian, French Quarter and Pop Century. Each has it's own charm. The cabins just do it for us. Our four year old grandson has stayed with us his last four visits to visit us. He now believes the cabins are our home and we drive a golf cart. Poor guy will be so disappointed the next time he visits and comes to our real home.;)

Needless to say - YES give the cabins a chance. They are unique. You don't have to worry about children and noise as there is not a room above, below or too close next door. LOVE the whole experience.:love:

My family loves the cabins, we've stayed in them twice now. I cannot say enough good things about them. It is the only resort that my 3 young boys repeatedly ask to go back to. As far as I'm concerned they are one of Disney's Best Kept Secrets. We've stayed at AKV, SSR, POR, CSR, BLT, BCV and FW. Fort Wilderness Cabins are in my top three favourites.

The only two downfalls that I can think of...
No bed larger than a double
Must take an internal bus system to get to the boat or bus stops (we rent a golf cart to avoid this)

We have only stayed here once back when our DS was 4. He is now going on 18 so mind you it has been a long time ago. We stayed here with my in-laws. We loved it while we were there. We used the boat many times which was fairly easy. Now I will say that DW has tried to get me to stay there again and I haven't wanted to do it again. My only reason for that is I don't get that Disney feel I get when I stay in a regular hotel. Silly I know. It is just how I feel. Honestly, you can't go wrong staying here. Also, if we didn't do the dining plan, I might be a little more willing to stay here because of having a kitchen.

From someone who has stayed at the camground and the cabins multiple times, and also stayed deluxe and moderate, we love the cabins. Such a relaxing setting. But we always get a golf cart. Your son will love it and it does help with speeding up the transportation. If you just need to go to the campground store or pool, it make things alot quicker. I would highly recommend getting a golf cart. Not absolutely necessary but really convenient.

Tiffany

I love the cabins! It's more like coming home to a neighborhood at the end of the day than a hotel - but you get hotel amenities as well.

I think the transportation at FW gets an undeserved bad reputation. I have stayed at mods where the bus circles around and makes several stops (and actually had buses pass me by because they were full). I find that to be much more aggravating than the internal/external transportation system at the Fort. There are two bus routes that serve the cabin area and both of them go to the Outpost (buses) and Settlement (MK boat) - I never waited more than 5-10 minutes for one of these buses. Once you get to the Outpost, I like the fairness of everyone having an equal opportunity to get a seat, which doesn't happen at those mods with all the bus stops.

Since my trips are typically solo, I can't justify the expense of a golf cart. However, if you are going at a time of year when the weather is nice (and around Mardi Gras it should be) it's just as easy to walk around the Fort as take the bus. I've walked from two different loops to the main Meadow pool complex and actually made it there faster than waiting for the next bus. The buses will get you anywhere you need to go and you don't have to worry about parking and finding your cart. Are carts a convenience? Sure. Are they necessary? So long as you aren't there during the heat of summer, I don't think they are.

We LOVED the cabins. it was the first resort we ever stayed at. We loved having the kids in a seperate bedroom. Our cabin was always immaculate, no issues. In fact we used the grill a couple of times and mousekeeping cleaned the old charcoal!! We only used the transportation for 1/2 of our first trip after that we've never gone without a car so can't comment on the transportation. You can request a loop near the main depot and then walk. I've never rented golf carts.
We also loved the trees and how much cooler it was then the parks, we go in August and returning to a wooded campground felt at least 15 degrees cooler.
My sons loved the bunkbeds and the porch.

We go back in a minute.

We go camping at home and one of our favorite things is riding around in the golf cart, so if we rented one it would be more for fun than anything else. I do have a question regarding the golf carts. We drive to WDW, can we park both our vehicle and the golf cart at the cabin?

We go camping at home and one of our favorite things is riding around in the golf cart, so if we rented one it would be more for fun than anything else. I do have a question regarding the golf carts. We drive to WDW, can we park both our vehicle and the golf cart at the cabin?

Yes there is space for both.:)

I've stayed at the Cabins and loved them. They are clean, mousekeeping comes everyday, extra towels are stored underneath the bathroom sink (take them to the pools too), the kitchen is stocked with plates, silverware, etc. Cleaning detergents are available in the kitchen (dishwasher and dish washing liquid).

I think they are spacious and if you do rent a golf cart, there is a spot designated to your cabin, directly in front of your cabin, to park.

There is also a deck with picnic table and grill.

The resort is large so there is an internal bus system and we never had a problem using it.

It is a very quiet and peaceful resort. One thing I do advise about is if you are looking for an overly themed resort, this is not it. It is very quiet, laid back. Mickey isn't lurking around every corner. The pools are pretty plain, no water spouts or anything fancy. It's a pool. I do know one of the pools was updated a while back and it was supposed to be themed more than some of the others.

I don't think you can go wrong by staying here but be ready for a more calm experience.

That's my opinion!

We have stayed in the cabins every other year since my eldest was two, he is now nearly 18, his twin brothers also love it there, every time we visit WDW they insist we stay for at least part of the time, they especially like to fish for an afternoon, we have never had a problem with the transport, in fact going over bay lake to MK on the boat is a great way to start the day, give it a go you will not regret it. :)

Love, love, love! Was nervous about what for us was a non traditional hotel (not all in one bldg)...but we adored our cabin stay! We rented a golf cart, had groceries delivered and grilled, went canoeing, horseback riding, saw Hoop Dee Doo...plus a short boat ride to MK. So peaceful at the end of a hectic WDW day...plus they have outdoor movies with a campfire singalong...lots of space in cabin...just terrific! We are DVC at WL...and have stayed at BW, Saratoga Springs, Kidani, Jambo and I would put the Cabins right up there...so fun!

Love, love, love a cabin! See my ticker LOL.

Beautiful and peaceful, no one's toilet flushing or running in the hallway noises. No one running around over your head early in the morning or late at night. No elevator, just nice and quiet. And parking at your front door and having a deck is a great bonus! We've brought folding camp chairs and plan to grill most of our dinners on the deck. We go to be on vacation, and not rush around to the parks all the time, so it fits our style very well.

Transportation is NOT an issue at all. It's all in how you look at it. Say you are staying at Wilderness Lodge. How much of a walk do you have to the bus? Now, walk out your front door of your cabin, walk about 50-100 feet on average to your loop's bus stop, and you're on an internal bus. Not a resort bus so there's a seat. Then you make 4 or 5 stops max, then hop off to the bus stop for the pasrks. I bet it's around the same time that it takes to walk to a bus stop at any of the larger resorts.

We're getting a golf cart because we want to, but it's not necessary. When you go to Fort Wilderness, you can't go with a rush-rush-rush attitude. It's a nice, peaceful way to spend a vacation. So waiting for an internal bus is part of that. Take your time and relax.

There's tons of storage that we didn't figure out right away too. Make sure you use the cabinets in the bathroom, extra kitchen cabinets and shelves, cabinet under the TV and on either side of the Murphy bed. Store bags in your car if you drive.

I'll take the other side on this. While the accomodations are adequate I found them to be totaly lacking in the Disney atmosphere. There is a feeling of isolation but if you want that you'll have it here. We did find the transportation to be less than adequate. It seemed to take forever to get to the parks. Don't even think about trying to get to another resort. Took us well over two hours to get to OKW for a breakfast which we missed.

We ended up requesting to be moved after two days. Ended up at CBR which we liked much better. Pretty much saved the trip for us.

Ohhh, the part about going out on your deck in PJs in the mornings sounds great! DH and I would love to have coffee on the deck in the morning while the kids sleep in.

There are only 4 of us so the one bathroom situation shouldn't be a problem. If we didn't stay in the cabin we would be in a regular room with only one bathroom anyway.

We've been so many times we are trying to make new experiences for ourselves, which is why the cabins seem appealing at this time. We always try to stay at a new resort to keep things fresh, but I think the cabins would feel even more different than just a new resort.

Then you will love them. Not sure about the coffee thing since I don't drink the stuff but you might want to check out putting the pot in the bathroom to brew. You and your husband take the bedroom, the kids the living room. There is a door in between. You sneak out in the morning, sit at the picnic table and just have a nice break from things. Oh yeah - just remembered - there is an outlet on the deck so you can brew your coffee outside.

The memories I have of my newly minted granddaughter (she was ready made at the age of 4 and her mother was proposed to by my son on this trip) and I just sharing thoughts out there are irreplaceable. And yeah, we were in our PJs until everyone else was up. Priceless and VERY relaxing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter