Opinions of 1-BR vs. Studio for couple

I vote for the studio. I would not use the whirlpool. Probably not the kitchen when it's just two of us. I do miss the washer/dryer.
We bought 150 points and just added on 100 points this week.
Every other year or so we get a 2 BR and take grandchildren. I would rather save points when it's just the 2 of us and go several times a year or be able to get the 2 BR & take others more often than waste points with a 1 BR.

Here's another vote against the tide. It is just my husband and I and we have stayed at a studio, 1 BR and a combination of the two on one trip. Personally, I would rather stay for more days than stay in a 1 BR. The 1BR is nice, especially if you are staying for a longer trip and do laundry. However, we do prepare some meals in the rooms and while the kitchen in the 1BR is more convenient, the studio works out fine. We have 200 points and because of the timing of our use year and when we go to WDW, we are able to go for at least two 1 week+ trips each year.

Here's a thought that may be off-base....

Since BWV has more of a regular resort feel than the condo feeling of OKW, I'm more inclined to go for the studio and stay for a longer period. At OKW, I love being able to stretch out and take advantage of sitting out on the spacious porch, etc., etc. and the one-bedroom is more important.

Maybe BWV and VWL (and soon BCV) owners get more use out of the studios? Anybody else have thoughts?

I think the studio vs 1 BR depends on the individual circumstances. If you're going to go, go, go and only sleep in the unit and will eat out mostly, I'd go with the studio for 2 or even 3. OTOH, if one wants to relax and/or eat in a large amount of the time, I'd go with the 1 Br even if it meant a day or 2 less here and there.

We just go back from Orlando staying at Marriott's Grande Vista on an exchange. We traded in a lessor resort, lessor week, non Marriott for Easter so only go a studio. Might have gotten a 1 BR if we'd waited but needed the exact dates so took it. The studios are similar to DVC in size and set up but more like BW or WL than OKW. They have a King and a pull out queen along with the same basic kitchen. They do have actually place settings and utensils rather than the paper, which was nice. We did just fine in a studio though wished we'd had a larger unit when it came time to wash clothes.

We have stayed in both and we now will always choose a 1br and above because our sleeping habits are a little different. I go to sleep sooner than my husband many nights and I always take a nap at Disney World. He would have to leave the room for a little while and be my wake up call when he was sick of being out and about! When we are in a 1br, he can watch TV while I nap!

I agree that staying in a studio is a great way to save on points. Our original idea when we purchased our points was 1 week in a 2 br (bring someone with us) and another week in a studio and go alone, but we added on, so now we can do 1 br.

It depends upon how you structure your vacations. We stayed in a studio BEFORE we had a child and continue to stay in one with our 5 year old.WE prefer to stretch out the use of our points. Our vacations are NEVER structured around the room; we're gone from SUNRISE TO SUNSET. For those who have a more leisurely, resort-like approach to their visits, then the upgrade would clearly be more worthwhile

We used to love the one bedroom, but now the 2 bedroom has us completely spoiled, heaven help us when we try that Grand villa for the first time.

Just to put the discussion back on track I think the question is a couple (or a single) choosing a 1 bedroom over a studio. I don't think I'd put 3 people in a studio unless one of them was under 18 months.

I will say you people have me frightened. The studios at OKW sound terrible. I assumed there would be a porch because there is one at the other DVC resorts.

Well if its bad I only have to stay there just this one time.

For myself the studios at BWV and especially VWL were just great. The laundry is free so not having the washer/dryer is no big deal for just one or two people. The only thing I would change is that it would be nice if they put in a minature stove top & a toaster. One or two burners so you can boil water or fry an egg. Ideally the "glass" top kind so you can use it as a countertop.

Yes, the studios at OKW have a porch, albeit a small one. If you happen to be on a lower floor, it will probably be covered by vegetation. I think DVC realized after OKW, that having just a hotel room for a studio needed some re-thinking. I think that is why they did the 1 bed 1 pull out for BWV and the rest. The only big drawback at OKW is the fact that you have no sofa in a studio. I still just prefer the 1 bedroom for the space and laundry and whirlpool. That is the best part of DVC. We can be flexible---- to each his own!

I can't compare a 1 bd to a studio as I have only stayed in a studio, but obviously a 1 bd is nicer then a studio. The kicker is the points. To me staying four wks in a studio is a hands down winner over two weeks in a 1 bd.

But also understand it's only DW and I who go. We make one trip to the laundry about mid stay when we do the "pool day" so it's virtually no inconvienence not have an in-room W&D. We also only use the kitchenette for lite morning snack- bagels,muffins, coffe,oj,etc- and to keep a few bottles of wine cold. The only real loss for us is the whirlpool tub but again: is a tub worth losing 2 wks ? For us definitely not.

Now,after saying all that, we have already added at VWL and there is a good chance we will add at BCV, we are getting to the point where availible points will overtake availible vacation time so we may have to bite the bullet and splurge on a 1bd for at least one trip a year. The fear then is not being happy going back to a studio. This whole DVC thing, what a vicious circle !!!

I must confess that sometimes we thought we might combine the two. Like this trip we will be getting in late on Saturday night, and didn't want to spend all those points for the 1 bedroom at the weekend rate. So we are getting the studio for that night and then trading to a 1 bedroom from then on. We may find the hassle is not worth it, but for this trip we thought we'd give it a try.

One of the problems with buying some points now and planning to add later is that later the resort your bought into might sell out. Get the points while you can if you think you'll want them. A few extra points now might make a nice difference for many years into the future.

We're a family of 4 with no "just a couple" trips in sight...(maybe in 10 years or so)

So anyway...I think by the time we can go alone we will want the 1br....but we'll probably do a studio for weekends or some such thing.

My reasons for the 1br are as follows:

The washer/dryer...I hate leaving my room to do laundry. And if you pack light you end up riding the elevator to the laundry room in pajamas!

The tub and large separate shower.

Real dishes....even if we don't cook meals it is nice to bring back leftovers or takeout and eat off of real dishes instead of from paper plates or out of the carton.

Dishwasher...even if we only use the glasses and mugs its a pain to do dishes while on vacation.

Room for independence...if I want to stay up and watch a movie it won't bother dh...or if I want to sleep in he can get up and do his thing without bugging me.

There are enough reasons to justify the points to some degree. But then again, we'll probably do the studio thing to save points at some time!

We also only have 150 points. Last year we stayed in a one bedroom, then moved to a studio for the last night of our stay to save points (Friday night). What a difference! The one bedroom has us totally spoiled. This year we're splitting our days also, but doing the studio the first 2 days, then moving to the one bedroom. We're borrowing a few points to be able to do this because this is our first trip in December and we want to make it special. So next year, we'll have a few less points and stay in a studio for our entire trip. But it will be awfully hard to go back to the studio after staying in the one bedroom.

Hoping to add on some points in the future so we can always have enough for the one bedroom!

The savings in points makes the studio for 2 adults a no-brainer. Buy annual passes and get 2 trips to a studio in for almost what a 1 bedroom would cost you.

We're doing the studio in November, but that's because we're there only 3 nights and chiefly to do the Food & Wine Fest. I can't imagine we'll need the kitchen much with all that abundance at our feet and the washer seems abit unecessary for that short a time.

For longer trips we've not gone alone yet. Teenage son isn't QUITE out of the nest. (Gone to college, but back summers and wouldn't miss the trip.) We use the 1 bdrm when he's along. This summer we're using a 2 bdrm - he's bringing a friend, as usual, and I'd like a shot at the extra privacy and another bathroom.

That being said, when he's not joining our vacation we'll probably still get the 1 BDRM 'cause we're spoiled. We don't do commando so the room is important. We both work a LOT when home, and we both actually like to cook, so we enjoy taking the time to make full leisurely breakfasts with that kitchen, we love that king bed, love the jacuzzi and really enjoy sitting out on the balcony with coffee in the AM and wine in the PM just enjoying the view and people watching.

Yes in deed a 1b will spoil, we won't even try a 2b yet. For our longer trips we do the 1b because my daughter usually brings a friend, but for short 3 - 4 day trips we (3) stay in a studio.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter