Opinions of 1-BR vs. Studio for couple

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
Right now DH and I only have 150 points, so we go with a studio-just can't justify a 1-BR. However, it seems like it would be so nice to have that king bed and jacuzzi tub. But that much luxury on every trip? So I'm looking for other opinions. Do you think a 1-BR for just 2 people is too outragous on a regular trip basis, only for special occassions? Do you think-"never! I need those points, and never get more than a studio if there's just the 2 of us. "? Or, "well, maybe for special trips like anniversaries, but not every trip!" So what do you all think?

Have you stayed in the one-bedroom, yet? Once you've done it, it can be sooooooo hard to go back. ;)

My intention when I purchased was to stay in a studio. Then I took advantage of the low January points and tried the 1 bed my first trip. I was soon adding on points. :)

One way to mix it up, is to use the studios for shorter trips. If you aren't spending a lot of time in the room, it is a bit of a luxury. Also, studios are easier to swallow at high point times when you might want to stay longer.

Be sure to at least try a one-bedroom and experience the total "home away from home" feel.

I know how it is wanting to stretch points, but in my opinion the 1-B/R is what really makes it a DVC home away from home. While the studios are nice, it's too much like just any other hotel stay.

We always get a 1-B/R except for our now annual new year's eve trip when we get a studio, simply because of the point differences. Then we switch to a 1-B/R the first week in January.

You didn't mention your home resort, but in most cases a studio in high season is about the same as a 1-B/R in low season. So one way we look at it is that we can get a 1-B/R in January, September, or early December pretty 'cheap'.

It's a tough choice, especially if you were looking at a Studio in low season as the alternative. Then it's either getting a studio for double the time, or a 1-B/R for IMHO 'triple' the luxury.

You'll probably find out very quickly you'll want more points.:D

It's your decision. As for myself, the 'luxury' of a 1-B/R is well worth the points.

Good luck.

I have to agree with Caskbill. I originally bought 150 points saying to myself that I would never need or want more. Well 2 years later I own 325 and I am thinking of adding more. My first stay was during December of 1999 during the 2nd week in a 2 bedroom preferred for five days during the week. Before I went, I thought I would treat myself just one time and would stay in studios most of the other times. Well 4 trips later, the only time I have ever stayed in a studio was when we had to book a room a day early because of our flight arrangements. The next day we were in a one bedroom.

I have taken my cousins twice and they love the BWV studios. They have been so used to staying at one of the All Star Resorts. So I booked them a studio on two trips. For them it is really nice because of the location and the fact they have a microwave and fridge in the room.

Part of the reason I added points was so that I could treat family and friends who may otherwise not have a chance to go. I love seeing thier reactions when they walk into the BWV lobby or a one bedroom at OKW. They are just amazed.

You should have seen the look on my cousins faces though when at the end of their first 10 day trip at BWV I told them their room would have cost them $3400 if they had paid cash.

Last year we were thinking just like you (except we have a preschooler). We had 150 points - thought it would be fine. Then we took our first trip last fall staying in a VWL studio. It was fine until we went on a tour of the 1 bedroom - suddenly I was looking for ways to get 50 more points. I really think if it was just the two of us and we weren't spending alot of time in the room or at our resort - the studio is fine. Knowing we will always be back has us spending more time in the resort itself and less time trying to do and see it all. It also suddenly dawned on us that our son will eventually need his own space. Go experience the studio first and see how it goes. If you are set on staying with the 150 points - stay away from a tour of the 1 bedroom! It will get to you.

I have another timeshare which (to me) is comparable to OKW. Having had the full blown luxury of a 3 bedroom unit (not on site) I don't have the urge to use my points just to get a kitchen & a jacuzzi that I might use once. Especially as a couple it won't save you much.

If you don't plan on spending much time in the parks then by all means go for the 1 bedroom...because now you are going for the "resort experience" rather than the "parks experience". If you are commando park hopping definitely do not waste the points. Also there are people who consider cooking while on vacation to be sacrilege...if you are one of those again...don't waste the points.

We are like the rest of the posters and love the 1 bdr. It is generally just the two of us and we have never stayed in a studio. It will absolutely spoil you to stay in the 1 bdrs. The jacuzzi tub, king size bed, full kitchen and laundry facilities are incredible. It is like being in a home away from home. Before our stay last month at OKW we stayed one night at the GF for our anniversary as it is something I always wanted to do. I have to say, however, the 1 bdr at OKW was much, much nicer than being at the GF. We also added on once and are looking to add on again. It is addictive.

Add me to the 1-bedroom list. For all the reasons previously mentioned, but especially for the washer and dryer. That has saved us one entire suitcase of packing clothes to take on our trip.

We get the grand villa for six or seven people every year.....I guess a two bedroom would do, I am not sure how, but the space and comfort can't be beat.

I just don't see how two couples with kids, six or seven people, can fit in a two bedroom.

For just a couple, it is a little closer of a decision. Do you eat out every meal? WIll you do much more than sleep on your room? The washer, dryer, jacquzzi certainly do add to the one bedroom argument.

When just my wife and I go for a day or two, we will get a studio. I have never been there longer than two days on one of those short trips. I think the length of your trip also has a lot to do with the decision. If her and I were going to stay for more than two days, a one bedroom would certainly win.

We have stayed in 1BR, 2BR, and GV.We also got a studio once for the in-laws, while we were there. For us, even if it is just my wife and I, we always get the 1BR. You can't beat the space to relax and wind down. We have never even used the stove in the 4 years we have belonged to DVC, but we would recomend the 1BR every time.:D

I'm going to go against the tide here--I have stayed in both the 1-bedrm and the studio several times. While I love the 1-bedrm, the studio works out perfectly for me and DH. While it's nice to have extra room, we don't feel cramped in a studio, and find it quite cozy. We don't use the kitchen in the 1-bedrm, so the kitchenette is just fine for breakfast or snacks. I do miss the washer and dryer, but I can use the laundry. For me, the savings on points is worth giving up a 1-bedrm--I love those loooong stays. :D DH really has no preference, though he says the studio is enough for him.

I agree with previous posts. The 1b will spoil you.

Our first trip 2/2000 as a DVC member, we stayed in a 1b Sat-Thr and used 164 pts (we only had 150 + our first years were banked). This first reaction was that we were WOWed, come see, you won't believe what we have back here. We have a home not a hotel room (we used to stay at the All Stars).

If you have to stay in a Studio, my advice is to stay the 1st night or 2 then switch to a 1b (with planning you can save points).

We now stay in 1b for our long trip (OKW - home) and get a Studio in other DVC resorts on our 3-4 day trips (VWL, BC, BWV) because these studios seem like efficiency rooms instead of standard hotel rooms.

But, after (just shy of) 2 years we are looking in to adding on.

The biggest advantage for us in a 1b is we can get by with 1 large luggage instead of 3. Plus we always take 1 day to just relax and do non-park activities.

My first trip "home" was just DH and I, and the first night we stayed in a studio, no problem since we were only in the room for 8 hours while we slept. The next morning we left for our Disney cruise. When we got back from the cruise we stayed in a 1 bedroom for 3 nights. It was nice having all that room, but we really didn't need it or the washer/dryer or kitchen. We ate all our meals out of the room. My last trip 3weeks ago was with my dd's and dd's bf, and the one bedroom was perfect for the 4 of us. I already have ressies for DH and I this Oct in a studio and don't think we will miss the one bedroom very much. We spend too much time outside the room even when we are not in the parks. We are either at the pools and/or spa or sitting in the WL or VWL lobby reading or people watching. I do agree there is more of a feeling of being at "home", rather than just a hotel room in a 1 bedroom though. But I would rather be able stay more days in a studio than stay fewer days in a 1 bedroom.

We will also buck the tide with MdmMim. Since there are only 2 of us we often get a studio. Depending on our (then) future DVC vacation plans (points needing to be used vs. our vacation time available), we have stayed in a 1-br. Yes, a 1-br. is VERY nice, but after this next stay with friends in a 2-br, we'll be back in a studio - just happy to be at WDW.

This is one of the things that made DVC so appealing to us, we didn't have to commit to a particular size unit when we bought.

My DH and I have resv's for the studio on our first trip as a DVC member. I have been in the 1-bdrm BWV's on previoius trips and I loved it but we are not in the room much and we will not be using the kitchen. Now I would love the whirlpool bath and the washer and dryer, but I can live without those (we are on a vacation). We are saving our pts for our next trip inwhich we may do a 7nt cruise or 5nts land/4nts cruise. We will see.

I will also go against the tide and vote for the studio for just the two of you. We started with only 170 points, but have added on twice, and now have 300. It is just me and my husband, we don't have children. When it is just the 2 of us (or me and someone else, as he doesn't go as often as I do) the studio is more than adequate. The kitchenette is fine and I don't miss the big tub (I have one at home). I do maybe 2 loads of laundry during the trip, which I do in the laundry room downstairs. If I need more towels, I just buy the towel package. I have stayed in the studio and the 1 BR and have had no trouble going back to a studio after a 1BR.

The reason we bought more points was so that we could bring family with us. On those trips we get the 1BR (or larger), but when it is just me solo, or just 2 of us, the studio is more than adequate.

I, too, like to stretch my points, and we have also used points to cruise. I would rather be able to take more trips in a smaller room, than less trips in a larger room. That's just me, others feel differently, which is the beauty of DVC!

As you can see, it is definately "to each his own". That is the great thing about DVC. I know when you are first buying in and you think you can stay in a studio to save points and get by with the minimum 150, it seems like a good idea. I, however, think you really miss the whole timeshare and DVC consept if you don't have the "home away from home" accomodations of the 1-2 bedroom.

We have stayed in a studio 2 times. Once just before we purchased, and once when we went with just the two of us for 6 nights over a Labor Day. When we stayed prior to purchasing we LOVED the studio. It made us see what a great deal DVC was. Then we stayed in a 1 bedroom our first trip home, and we were overwhelmed. Two years ago when we stayed in the studio again, we HATED it! We had been spoiled by too many 1,2 and 3 bedroom stays. Now we have vowed we will NEVER stay in a studio again unless it is just to pick up an extra day on either end of a reservation.

I do agree that the length of the stay has a lot to do with it being apropriate or not. A short trip would be fine in a studio, but 5 days or more would be cramped.

When we first visited in 2/98 we stayed in a studio at OKW(cash) for two nights. The next day we bought 250 pts. Haven't seen the inside of a studio since. There are only 2 of us and DW refuses to stay in a studio. We like to sit around in the AM and have coffee, sit on the porch and watch the golfers, come in at night and watch TV on our comfortable sofas. We only eat breakfast and generally have muffins, bagels, fruit etc. Probably use the W&D one trip. Never used the jacuzzi. I'm even considering a 2 BR for the extra bath. Now that will be point foolish for two. But what the heck!!

We too planned on using the studio for just the two of us but....We got spoiled and get the 1br. We're now up to 935 points, YIKES!! how did that happen????

While it might be nice to be able to afford enough points to always stay in a 1br+, my husband and I both agree that we would rather stretch our points and stay in a studio while reserving 1br's for special occasions or 2br's for when we bring family. Staying in a 1br didn't ruin a studio for me at all, nor do I feel like I am "missing the concept" by staying in a studio. To me, one of the great things that distinguishes dvc from other time shares is the ability to get different sized units based on our needs for an individual trip. I find a studio much more spacious and luxurious for a couple without kids than even WDW deluxe hotel rooms. I don't cook on vacation but I do like keeping snacks and the microwave and fridge are perfect. All of the studios except OKW have only one bed in them and have more than enough room for us to relax in and even have friends over for an evening of playing games.

Then again, I think it depends on where you are coming from. As I said, we are a young couple with no kids yet, we live in an apartment (not a huge house), sleep in a queen bed at home (so we're not squishing into a smaller bed on vacation). In the times I have stayed in the 1br I have loved the surroundings, but I have never ever felt squeezed in a luxurious studio either.

Lisa

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter