Opinions-Garden Grill??

MartDM

DIS Veteran
Wondering what people's thoughts are on this. I've read mixed reviews but I think it might be OK for us.

We'll be traveling with our 2 year old son so we're more concerned about a toddler friendly atmosphere, quick service, and his entertainment than we are a fine culinary experience. We have reasonably mediocre expectations of all the buffets & character meals, but we don't want a bad meal either.

Will Garden Grill fit the bill?

We are trying this in a few weeks. Hopefully it will be a decent meal. I'm not looking for super fantastic. Just please make it good and edible. I have had some meals at WDW that are neither.

I enjoy it personally. It is family style rather than a buffet which I prefer because it seems more sanitary to me (I am just paranoid, Disney does a very good job with their buffets) but I know some people on here prefer the buffet since it is a little easier and less wait. Fun atmosphere as well, I mean the place spins.

We ate at Garden Grill in 2006 and will be eating there again on our trip in August. We enjoyed the food and the character interaction was great. Characters spent quite a bit of time at our table. Mickey tried to entice my DD25 into eating a crazy concoction of frosting, salt, crayon, and M&M's that he mixed with a straw while visiting our table...it was hilarious.

Hope your experience is great!

We had a ressie here during our last trip (Aug. 2008) but when we were on the Living With The Land boat ride, which passes by the Garden Grill, we were all turned off by the aroma of the food. It smelled, for lack of a better word, like cafeteria food to us. We cancelled the ADR.

We don't have kids, but I personally think Garden Grill has some of the best character interaction. It's small and not as crazy as some of the other character meals. Often Mickey and friends will make it to your table twice. They tend to take their time and really have fun with the kids.

I think GG will fit your needs. The characters are awesome and spent a lot of time with us. Your son will love them.
The food is just okay but the characters make it worth it.

The last time we went there was 2007 and we loved it. The characters spent alot of time at our table and it was a lot quieter setting than some of the other character meals. We are only repeating two restaurants this year and the Garden Grill was asked for again by all three of my kids.

We've done the GG twice with my 4 and 2 year old boys (they were 3 and 10 months the first time). Loved it! The characters are great. The restaurant revolves so the scenery is changing (a big plus with little ones). The food is very good too. My kids aren't picky so they just eat the adult food. I guess the kid food is fine too, but we wouldn't know.

Also, the food is "food"...it's not a nationality or specialty, just food. Makes it good for a mid-trip meal when you are tired of eating-out food.

They did steam some extra veggies for us when my youngest was 10 mos so he could have food too.

We just made an ADR today to go again in Sept :)

Thanks for the reassurances everyone. Our son isn't a picky eater at all; in fact, he's pretty adventurous. Sounds like this will be a decent meal with good entertainment value!

Awesome character interaction. Did it in 2008 and it was awesome. I think Chip n Dale just give the best interaction (in the restaurant or out of the restaurant).

The food was okay. Nothing awesome but nothing horrible.

GG has excellent character interaction with plenty of time for pictures. Ask to be seated in the lower tier and you'll have a better view as the restaurant revolves.

We've done GG with small children and have found that the service is quick and there's enough going on that the little ones weren't as restless as they might have been. :hippie:

Thanks everyone for setting my mind at ease! I'm really looking forward to this one now; should be lots of fun for my boy!

I agree on the character interaction. Last time we were there, Pluto "stole" my daughter and she didn't come back for 30 minutes!!!! (She was 15 at the time). When he finally brought her back, the waitress scolded him. Very cute. My daughter said he took her to every table and "introduced" her to all the guests. She's kinda shy, but had a ball there and can't wait to go back.

As a toddler teacher, I can tell you that the fare for a two year old is perfect! My DD, who will be 12 in July, has always loved the kids meal there. As for the interaction, I've been to a few character dinings and I find the Garden Grill my absolute favorite. Maybe it's because it's not as packed usually and the characters have more time, but they're far more lively and fun to be around! I have a million great stories from our visites to GG. Go and enjoy the atmosphere. The food is really not bad at all. I enjoy it. :)

We actually feel like GG has some of the best character interaction at Disney and our kids love the food there. It's a win win! Because of the fact that the restaraunt is relatively small, the characters come by several times each and really spend time with the kids goofing around and having fun.

Here's a pic of Chip messing with my DD's hair :lmao:

gardengrill1.jpg

It was nice when we went. And as far as mixed reviews you will always get them on here. I don't listen to them . I go and see for myself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter