• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Opinion Poll: Should EPCOT secede from Disney World?

Would you advocate EPCOT's independence from Disney World?

• Yes

Votes: 21 7.2%
  • No

Votes: 258 89.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 11 3.8%

• Total voters
Seems like they could add more entertainment to the culture and technology parts. Really the entirety of Tomorrowland could be transplanted into Epcot. Then have the people mover take people to their chosen land in WS. Throw in a 3 d roller coaster that simulates skiing through the French alps, a family style ride (similar to little mermaid) along the Great Wall in China. Samurai training in Japan. I've only been to Epcot once, but was unimpressed and bored. Seems like a big food court.

If Epcot were to make those changes and secede, it could work as a stand alone. As is, Epcot would shut down in the first year, or be more like a Disney springs type area instead of a "theme park"
There is supposed to be a separation between WS and future world. Putting in a peoplemover to get people to WS would eliminate that separation. There were plenty of rides planned for WS that never happened. As well as other countries that didn't happen either. Look up concept art online it's all there.

Have you noticed no matter which country you go into you see "made in China"

Gosh I can remember when I bought a sweater in Norway it was made in Norway. Likewise for the other countries.

Yeah - and they cost something nuts like $850 apiece! I liked walking through there and looking at them - and last year there were still some of them there - but they were crazy to think they were going to sell enough of those to justify the floor space.

The World Showcase is my favorite part of WDW. YES, I think it needs a new pavilion and a little freshening up here and there - BUT I'VE BEEN THERE LITERALLY A HUNDRED TIMES (and I'm going back in June :yay:). Of course it's a little stale to me. How could it not be? ...and why would they pour billions of dollars into a park just to keep it fresh for a repeat customer like me? A better $trategy is to plan for the average customer.

That would be cool. Checkpoints at the bridge to show your papers, replace the shuttle barges with gunboats and arm the monorail for sort-of-quick strikes on the TTC. Epcot could then expand its territory to take DHS, and the final battle for AK could be done on lion-back.

if nothing else, the Mouse could get a movie out of it. Which would lead to more rides :)

Oh - and the premise is nuts. How will this secession take place? You planning a military-style war for independence? :crazy2:

Nothing like that, lol. I envision EPCOT secession take place with peaceful methods. These include demonstration marches, petition movements, international pressure for secession (countries like Norway which don't want Frozen to represent EPCOT), etc.

I guess that I am a little confused as to why they would need/want to secede. I love EPCOT. It is very much "my style". I live in New Orleans so EPCOT, as it stands, is the perfect setup for my family and I. I love to drink and I love to eat. It's literally heaven for me. I do think that it needs updating though. I do wish they would add more countries. I am not sure when the last one was put in but I sure as heck do not remember it unless they were all just put in at the same time. There is so much potential for EPCOT. Maybe it's just the Disney fanatic in me but I can't think of anyone better to bring EPCOT's full potential to realization than Disney. If only they would make it a priority. I have heard so many people say they wished for more/updating/new things that you think that Disney would be on board. They are adding to/updating all 3 of the other parks recently and currently so why not EPCOT? Maybe we need to start a petition or something lol.

The gist of the idea, which is just a daydream, is that there are signs that the Disney corp is neglecting Epcot (among other things at WDW) and is so obsessed with short-term profits that they are likely to continue to let things slide until Epcot has lost much of what makes it a great park.

The biggest signs of this are the closing of Wonders of Life, the inability to fix up Journey into Imagination and put a decent, modern 3D movie in place of Honey I Shrunk or Captain EO, the decay into boring irrelevancy of Universe of Energy, and the willingness to abandon the "World's Fair" aspect of World Showcase in order to cash in on last year's hit movie.

1406471876085.png

Epcot probably only changed to increase revenue. Let's not forget Disney is a business and profit is not evil. If a company provides a good product at a good price they will achieve a profit and that is the end goal. I LOVE world showcase and could spend my entire vacation there. But I have friends that don't go because they think it is boring. To me world showcase is about finding hidden treasures and everyone else wants that instant gratification and extreme entertainment

Epcot probably only changed to increase revenue. Let's not forget Disney is a business and profit is not evil. If a company provides a good product at a good price they will achieve a profit and that is the end goal. I LOVE world showcase and could spend my entire vacation there. But I have friends that don't go because they think it is boring. To me world showcase is about finding hidden treasures and everyone else wants that instant gratification and extreme entertainment

That would seem logical.

I enjoyed finding hidden treasures in Norway.

You speak as if Epcot is a separate entity.

This post is like asking if Spider-Man should secede from Marvel Comics.

The question I have is how do you maintain/promote Epcot's futuristic theme when the future is pretty much here?

The question I have is how do you maintain/promote Epcot's futuristic theme when the future is pretty much here?

It's technically true that the present age is the future. However, new technology will always be on the horizon.

As I quote Will Rogers, "We had begun to believe that the height of civilization was an automobile, a radio, and a bathtub. Course now we're a lot smarter."

That would be cool. Checkpoints at the bridge to show your papers, replace the shuttle barges with gunboats and arm the monorail for sort-of-quick strikes on the TTC. Epcot could then expand its territory to take DHS, and the final battle for AK could be done on lion-back.

if nothing else, the Mouse could get a movie out of it. Which would lead to more rides :)

That's HILARIOUS. I LOL'd. :-)

Scary.... lol

If people want Epcot to be important again, Disney should get Elon Musk involved. That guy is constantly creating and reinventing things. It is hard to keep up with him and that is the type of aggressive thinking this park would need to stay true to its original intent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter