Opinion Poll: Should EPCOT secede from Disney World?

Would you advocate EPCOT's independence from Disney World?

• Yes

Votes: 21 7.2%
  • No

Votes: 258 89.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 11 3.8%

• Total voters
No, I didn't say an empty pavilion was awesome. I said Epcot as-is, is awesome. Epcot as a whole. Ask the average person as they exist at the end of the day and they will tell you they loved the place. My last visit I loved the place. I didn't see any "rot" nor did I see anything falling apart. Place looked beautiful. It is my second favorite after Animal Kingdom. Will I like it when they do something with the pavilion? Sure. Hope they do. But when you walk through the whole place and look at it objectively, it is an amazing and wonderful theme park. It would not be one of the top attendance parks in the world if this was not true. Calling it terrible, a shell, a tragedy, is just bombast.
How do you know that the average person loves Epcot?

How do you know that the average person loves Epcot?

What makes you think the average person doesn't? Given the price of admission and the very high attendance numbers, it sure seems very popular. When I go I watch those high numbers of people having a blast and leaving happy. I've been to lousy places where people were leaving unhappy. I've never seen that at Epcot. Also, I read a lot here. It is the favorite grown-up park. And I read elsewhere. I talk to friends in Florida that all love Epcot. I talk to Disney visitors at work and church and ask them about their trips. Everybody, except a small group of vocal frequent attendees here on this page, love the place. the bottom line is where I started: You can't have a "shell" of theme park that is a "tragedy" that is one of the highest attended parks in the world, on Disney property or not.

While the pavilion that is empty is unfortunate, I hardly notice it as I enjoy all the other great things in Epcot. Can't wait until my trip in October!

I think some people become so jaded they look for every possible negative that might exist and see only that. They see one piece of paper on the ground of a pristine park and they remember the place as filthy. One closed pavilion and the place is a shell. One ride that isn't what they want and Disney has sold out. Perspective is everything. For example: New Fantasy Land is awesome. I love it. Could it be different? Sure? Is it great as is? Yes! Disney did a great job. It is perfect for the TARGET AUDIENCE of kids. Love the mountain. Be Our Guest is better than most rides. The meet and greets are great. But many here completely dismiss it as nothing. Perspective.

Me. I'm happy. :)

What makes you think the average person doesn't? Given the price of admission and the very high attendance numbers, it sure seems very popular. When I go I watch those high numbers of people having a blast and leaving happy. I've been to lousy places where people were leaving unhappy. I've never seen that at Epcot. Also, I read a lot here. It is the favorite grown-up park. And I read elsewhere. I talk to friends in Florida that all love Epcot. I talk to Disney visitors at work and church and ask them about their trips. Everybody, except a small group of vocal frequent attendees here on this page, love the place. the bottom line is where I started: You can't have a "shell" of theme park that is a "tragedy" that is one of the highest attended parks in the world, on Disney property or not.

While the pavilion that is empty is unfortunate, I hardly notice it as I enjoy all the other great things in Epcot. Can't wait until my trip in October!

I think some people become so jaded they look for every possible negative that might exist and see only that. They see one piece of paper on the ground of a pristine park and they remember the place as filthy. One closed pavilion and the place is a shell. One ride that isn't what they want and Disney has sold out. Perspective is everything. For example: New Fantasy Land is awesome. I love it. Could it be different? Sure? Is it great as is? Yes! Disney did a great job. It is perfect for the TARGET AUDIENCE of kids. Love the mountain. Be Our Guest is better than most rides. The meet and greets are great. But many here completely dismiss it as nothing. Perspective.

I don't like Epcot. I used to but I have little use for it now. I have a very long list of reasons but I won't go into them. I go to the park when we go because we have multi-day passes.

I have never assumed that other people feel one way or the other about it. However I respect your reasoning.

I like Epcot. I don't love it like I do MK or AK but I also don't hate it I thoroughly enjoy my time there and illuminations is my favorite night time show. With that said I don't think Epcot would have as high attendance without the food and wine festival and the flower and garden those two things bring in a lot of people.

I too like Epcot, my whole family does, and some of my in-laws consider it their favorite park because the somewhat raised intellectual and cultural tone.

The bashing (or constructive criticism ... take your choice) is because despite it being a great park, its evolution or growth is stagnant at best, retrograde at worst.

No new international pavilions have been built for decades. No major renovations or enhancements have ever been made to any world showcase pavilion, ever, as far as I know. Once every 20 years or so the ones with movies get a newer, slightly less boring movie in exactly the same format as previously. China, France and Canada. No major ride or show has ever been added to any World Showcase pavilion. Just a bit of update and sometimes new video overlays of existing rides and shows, once every 20 years or so. Mexico and now Norway.

Future World is shrinking in a couple of areas (Wonders of Life, Imagination 3D theater) and pretty much stagnant in every other pavilion. An extra theater for Soarin' and in a few years, a new film. Minor overlay changes to The Seas, Test Track and Spaceship Earth. Vague promises of "new experiences" at Innoventions.

(It's getting to be the new norm at Disney, but have you ever seen corporate cheerleaders try so hard to damn their own projects with such faint praise? "New experiences". Not great, exciting, innovative or unique. Just "new" meaning "different". Likewise for Star Wars, nothing great, fantastic, groundbreaking or world-beating. Just "extremely deliberate" meaning "very slow")

If you really love Epcot the way it is right now that's a very good thing ... because it ain't going to change very much in next 10 to 20 years, according to the best information we have and according to past history.

Not trying to bring anyone down or anything, but if the price of something doubles in a certain period time during which the product is absolutely no better than it was previously and in some ways is worse due to the lack of novelty and innovations ... I'm going to beef a bit.

Not trying to bring anyone down or anything, but if the price of something doubles in a certain period time during which the product is absolutely no better than it was previously and in some ways is worse due to the lack of novelty and innovations ... I'm going to beef a bit.

You know...I
Can't support this...

Because obviously it would just be another example of me ruining the vacation fantasies of all the little children...

But the Economic reality under Iger is that what you said above is pretty close to an Indisputable fact.

The only thing that has shown a tangible increase in offerings on the whole is options for DVC members.

I still enjoy the International side but don't understand how lacking the Science, technology, and "innovation side" is. I don't think it should separate from WDW, I would just like to see more innovation and cutting edge technology. Aaand maybe a few more rides.

You know...I
Can't support this...

Because obviously it would just be another example of me ruining the vacation fantasies of all the little children...

But the Economic reality under Iger is that what you said above is pretty close to an Indisputable fact.

The only thing that has shown a tangible increase in offerings on the whole is options for DVC members.

Is it bad that I'm going to start a separate Disney vacation fund for when the economy inevitably takes another downturn? Disney will be scrambling because they'll have priced a large chunk of their market out of vacations, and in will come the crazy discounts. Then I'll be able to have the ultimate vacation for a fraction of the cost.

What needs to be replaced is Iger..... I had said when everyone was so thrilled that Eisner left that Disney was going from the frying pan into the fire, and that's exactly what happened. Look at all of the new, exciting, and unique experiences that happened in Eisner's reign. 2 new theme parks, 2 new water parks, DVC, Downtown Disney, Disney Institute (though shortlived and never living up to expectations) and every resort beyond the original 4 (if you count the golf resort!!! No comparison!!!
As for the "formally known as The Wonders of Life" pavilion. Many people don't even realize it's back there, since it has always been off of the beaten path. I do think it's a shame they don't use it for attractions, instead of a glorified shopping area during festivals. If Iger had his way, the only thing in Disney would be dining and shopping.

What needs to be replaced is Iger..... I had said when everyone was so thrilled that Eisner left that Disney was going from the frying pan into the fire, and that's exactly what happened. Look at all of the new, exciting, and unique experiences that happened in Eisner's reign. 2 new theme parks, 2 new water parks, DVC, Downtown Disney, Disney Institute (though shortlived and never living up to expectations) and every resort beyond the original 4 (if you count the golf resort!!! No comparison!!!
As for the "formally known as The Wonders of Life" pavilion. Many people don't even realize it's back there, since it has always been off of the beaten path. I do think it's a shame they don't use it for attractions, instead of a glorified shopping area during festivals. If Iger had his way, the only thing in Disney would be dining and shopping.
The only problem is they are going to try and keep Iger as long as possible because he's done so well for the shareholders.

The problem with Epcot leaving Disney is that Epcot was all Walt's idea. Not the park itself but the idea of Progress City. You can see the original plan for Epcot in the People Mover. Also the whole scale model of Progress City used to be on the top floor of the Carousel of Progress. I do love Epcot and acknowledge that most of the changes have not been for the better, bottom line is adding the "Disney" element to Epcot has saved the park. Epcot almost single handedly bankrupted WDW because it was way over budget kids didn't want to go to a theme park to learn. I know the park isn't made for kids, but like it or not 99% of Disney trips are planned with kids in mind. I've been going to Epcot since I was 5 months old and loved what it used to be but also remember it was a ghost town. Without Disney's backing I don't see how the park would stay open .

I don't remember Epcot ever being a ghost town but this might be something I'm seeing through rose-colored glasses. I do remember how busy it was the first year it opened but everyone seemed to be in awe of the place at that time.

I don't agree that all themepark activity needs to be created for kids. But then DS's favorite park when he was about 5 was Epcot. This was in the late 90's.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter