Open Heart Surgery/Bypass Success Stories

Make sure that she has warm shirts to wear - even if they are your father's flannels - because patients tend to feel cold easily. I'm not sure why, since their hearts are pumping more efficiently after surgery. It might be from the blood thinners that they take.

No kidding. I wrapped my DH up in 3 thick beach towels after his shower because he was freezing.

Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts. She is out of surgery and the doctor said it went perfectly. We are waiting for her to get settled in the CICU and then I can see her.

Great news!
I'm an RD and have been on cardiac floor for years. Expect appetite to be poor for couple of days- and beware of ANYONE who says "if it taste good spit it out" grrrrr. Eating healthy tastes GOOD not bad. Real foods, limit salt as much as you can (no processed foods) good quality proteins and fats (YES that means eggs and beef and butter are OK) good vegetable intake. We pretty much limit our cardiac patients to very little sodium which cuts 99% of the processed foods Glad to hear she came through surgery well!

Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts. She is out of surgery and the doctor said it went perfectly. We are waiting for her to get settled in the CICU and then I can see her.

Awesome!!!!! Now make sure you get some rest too.

I'm and RN and have taken care of many, many CABGs post-op. My patients tell me how much more energy they have, how they don't get as winded, they don't have the headaches, they don't need as much sleep. Once their hearts are pumping blood properly it changes their lives.

FYI: Her nurses will tell her the sauerkraut joke. It's stupid corny but we are bound by secret code to say it!

Oh, didn't read through the whole thread. Glad she's out and doing well! Ask if there is a cardiac rehab she can go to once she's discharged, it will help her maintain a healthy lifestyle.

I Guess no one is aware about this

What is Heart Bypass Surgery?

Cardiac Bypass Heart Surgery is used to replace the damaged arteries in the heart. A surgeon usually uses another area of the body to repair the arteries. This surgery is usually done when the coronary artery is blocked or damaged.If theses arteries are blocked or blood does not flow properly then this causes damage in the heart which might lead to death.
What are the different categories of heart bypass surgery?
There are basically four different categories of heart bypass surgery which are as follows-

1)Single Bypass-only one artery is blocked
2)Double Bypass-only two arteries are blocked
3)Triple Bypass-only three arteries are blocked
4)Quadruple Bypass-only four arteries are blocked

It usually depends upon the no of arteries which are blocked more the arteries are blocked more does the surgery gets complex.
When do you realise that you need a Heart Bypass Surgery?
A heart surgery is required when there are too many blocks in the heart and also when these blocks cannot be controlled by medication.
Conditions which cause to complications include are:
  • Diabetes
  • Emphysema
  • Kidney Disease
  • Peripheral Artery Disease
How can this be controlled?
It can be controlled by maintaining a good healthy diet also by exercising on a regular basis.

Oops, realized about page two this was an old thread! (After that, I thought it was going to be a progress bump, but...????)

My dad had a heart bypass surgery when he was around age 55, and a second heart bypass surgery around the age of 63. He went on to live to the age of 87, and passed away of emphysema, after having smoked for 50 years.

My mom failed her heart testing today and as a result she needs a triple bypass. I'm afraid to Google too much because I know it would scare the devil out of me.

she gonna be fine, what I did when I got my cancer is goggled everything I could find for a few days , after that I was done, no more, I know whats up and ready to fight

Oops, realized about page two this was an old thread! (After that, I thought it was going to be a progress bump, but...????)

Since it has been bumped...

Mom is doing well. Her vitality is back after the surgery. She had an aneurysm rupture in her eye, and I joke that it couldn't handle all the blood flow now that her heart is fixed. Her eye is fully healed as well. However, she just found out she has a buildup in her abdominal aorta that is causing her pain. She has to have an angiogram to determine next steps. Most likely she will just get a stent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter